PDA

View Full Version : Holy War or Imperial Reconquest? (CK2)

MonkeySage
2016-11-14, 01:37 PM
I'm playing the restored Roman Empire as a pagan, and have both the Imperial Reconquest CB and the Holy War CB over pretty much all of western and southern europe +England.

Strategically, Holy War makes sense, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth; I like the idea of the roman empire being a culturally diverse state (and have put heavy focus on Tolerance until now).

If I wanted to roleplay this, I'd use Imperial Reconquest, and simply usurp infidel titles; usually giving the title to a count, even as a viceroyalty, makes that count like you enough to accept religious conversion. This removes the problem of hereditary dukes complaining about viceroyalties.

Factions are no concern whatsoever; my personal army is 20k strong, with Retinues, Levies, Varangians, and two separate Holy Orders.

The Great Wyrm
2016-11-16, 09:49 AM
Holy War is better, unless you specifically want to make the counts your vassals (for example, if they are heirs to other land). However, I remember that Holy Wars cost piety to declare if you're a reformed pagan, so in that case Imperial Reconquest may be better. If your Crown Authority allows revocation of infidel titles, then there's not much difference anyway.