PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Suggestions: Storm/Weather Thematics

Fayd
2016-11-14, 01:42 PM
Hello Playground!

After replaying some older nostalgic videogames, I came to a stark realization as to one of my fairly consistent gaming traits: I love storm/weather/electricity themed casters or castery types. Long story short, several very formative gaming experiences and characters had that theme (Mallow, Super Mario RPG; Ivan, Golden Sun; Pikachu, Pokemon) and growing up as nerd in the Midwest with a marvelous view of storms rolling in left me predisposed to this concept. Thing is, with the exception of once (and that was my first character ever and I ended up straying a bit anyway), I've never really played it to a T.

I've decided that the next character I play, no matter the system, should be the best storm wizard I can... even if that means cleric or druid or something. I don't know what system I'm going to play in next, though my gut says it would probably be some version of D&D or a derivative (Pathfinder, or extreme homebrew) and so I'd love to get some thoughts on how to best accomplish this concept. I don't need to be SUPER OPTIMIZED, though having some decent power behind the build would be obviously helpful.

What say you, Playground?

Reaver25
2016-11-17, 06:28 PM
I would suggest a Tempest Cleric: heavy armor, martial weapons, healing spells, intense damaging spells. It has it all.

Jallorn
2016-11-18, 03:52 AM
I really like the idea of the Stormlord from Complete Divine, except I don't really play divine casters.

Dragonexx
2016-11-18, 12:09 PM
If your willing to use homebrew, there's this Storm Lord class.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=133022&bypass=133022#133022

icefractal
2016-11-18, 03:05 PM
If you're playing Pathfinder, then the Master of Storms has some pretty cool abilities. I don't think they're worth losing three caster levels for, but if the GM is ok with adjusting it (or it's a low-power campaign) then that's an option.

Possible hax: Take Master of Storms to 8th level (losing two CL) and then get them back with that affiliation benefit from Inner Sea World Guide that actually gives you spellcasting levels (not just CL, everything).

Or for that matter, most casters have storm-themed archetypes.

Geddy2112
2016-11-18, 05:08 PM
The storm druid in pathfinder is pretty strong.

But I will second that almost every casting class has a weather themed variant. Although most will be specific-snow/cold, lightning/electric, and fewer are more of general weather and storms.

TheCountAlucard
2016-11-19, 03:40 AM
Just in case you decide to play a different system…

Play an Eclipse Caste Solar. Take Terrestrial Circle Sorcery.

For your "control spell," select either Stormwind Rider or Cirrus Skiff; Stormwind Rider gives you the ability to conjure a whirlwind to convey you from place to place, where Cirrus Skiff lets you create a cloud you can ride around on.

For your second spell, select Summon Elemental; this spell lets you create spirits out of the Essence of the elements themselves. One such spirit? Thunderbirds. :smallcool: You can also create cloud people, or even flying bears.

If you want to, you can purchase other mystical whatsits and magic to expand your themes further - the upcoming Arms of the Chosen supplement supposedly has an artifact blade named Stormcaller, which as the name implies, calls storms when drawn.

When you reach Essence 3, go sailing until you encounter a Storm Mother. Use your god-like social skills and the power of primal oaths to have her teach you the ways of her storm magic. From her, you'll be able to learn the arts of calling storms at sea, and throwing the occasional lightning bolt.

Hope that's stormy enough for you! :smallsmile:

Fayd
2016-11-21, 12:15 PM
These are some good ideas. Thanks! I've got those suggestions tagged to review.

What edition was Tempest Cleric suggested for, Reaver25?

And I'll admit, I've not even considered Exalted; nobody around where I am owns the books, but that seems like a REALLY good suggestion.

Malfunctioned
2016-11-21, 12:52 PM
If you play 5E then Wizards have released some Unearthed Arcana for a Stormborn Sorcerer who is literally empowered by Elemental Air and has some super cool lightning based abilities.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

Reaver25
2016-11-21, 01:54 PM
These are some good ideas. Thanks! I've got those suggestions tagged to review.

What edition was Tempest Cleric suggested for, Reaver25?

And I'll admit, I've not even considered Exalted; nobody around where I am owns the books, but that seems like a REALLY good suggestion.

Tempest Cleric is with 5e. Arguably, it's the strongest "thunder & lightning" class because it gets access to those awesome spells, heavy armor, martial weapons, can maximize their damage dice, and can STILL heal like a beast. Tempest Cleric is not one to mess with (think of Thor). The other spellcasters will have those same lightning spells but with no armor, little to no weaponry, and almost no healing save for potions and certain spells for Druids.

Fayd
2016-11-21, 02:03 PM
If you play 5E then Wizards have released some Unearthed Arcana for a Stormborn Sorcerer who is literally empowered by Elemental Air and has some super cool lightning based abilities.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

Well! If I play 5E I know what I'm doing.

TheCountAlucard
2016-11-21, 05:27 PM
And I'll admit, I've not even considered Exalted; nobody around where I am owns the books, but that seems like a REALLY good suggestion.It's a tad pricey, but the Ex3 Core can be ordered as a print-on-demand job from DriveThruRPG.

Just, uh, be prepared. It's a pretty big book. Like, seven hundred plus pages.

(It'll be cheaper if you order it as a PDF.)

For other advice regarding how to build your stormy Solar, we'll need more input on what you'd want him to be capable of. :smallsmile:

If you're gonna fly around on a cloud or somesuch, I suggest picking up archery or throwing weapons. You can evoke "rainstorm" imagery pretty powerfully with a Cascade of Cutting Terror or similar.

If you want to throw sorcery spells around in combat, Mists of Eventide is pretty scary, and although Death of Obsidian Butterflies doesn't directly fit into your weather theme, it's a solid finisher.

If you survive to Essence 5, acquiring Solar Circle Sorcery and Rain of Doom would probably be very fitting.