PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How do psionics interact with Magic Rating?

inuyasha
2016-11-14, 09:32 PM
So, I recently bought Ultimate Psionics from Dreamscarred, and I think it's amazing! I often like to include 3.5 content in my PF games, one being the Magic Rating rule from unearthed arcana, where caster levels from different classes effectively stack for the purpose of multiclassing, with a few other intricacies.

How would you guys say the Magic Rating rule interacts with psionics, especially if you're using transparency? Would Manifester Level be separate from Caster Level in this case, or would they stack? I'm thinking about going with the latter option, but I'm curious about what everyone else thinks.

Troacctid
2016-11-14, 09:51 PM
I'd just merge manifester level with caster level and have psionics scale with your magic rating. You could also have separate magic and psionics ratings similar to the optional division of arcane and divine magic described in the variant rule; that would be reasonable as well.

Lukalaly
2016-11-14, 09:55 PM
Well, I think they would be different, as caster levels are how experienced you are with magic, while manifester levels are how experienced you are with psychic powers. I feel very unfit to talk about this, as I own neither Unearthed Arcana nor Ultimate Psionics, but that's just what I think. Wizards of the Coast went out of their way to make a psychic class that is pretty different from the usual magic classes. If they wanted them to be the same, they would have done something similar to artificers, saying that they can can replicate the usual magic with pure talent and hard work (mental ability, in the case of psions). But hey, as I said before, I don't own either of the books you're referencing, so you don't have to listen to me.
Edit: The person above me has a pretty good point, at least the latter part of their post anyway. Just don't make it actually stack with arcane/divine stuff, but having manifesters be essentially separate but equal would make sense to me. (Might not to you, and that's fine, I get that a lot.)

JoshuaZ
2016-11-14, 10:15 PM
Since you are already using third party content, how you want it to work has more to do with the fluff and flavor of your setting than anything else. In your world, how closely connected are psionics and magic?

Troacctid
2016-11-14, 10:20 PM
Edit: The person above me has a pretty good point, at least the latter part of their post anyway. Just don't make it actually stack with arcane/divine stuff, but having manifesters be essentially separate but equal would make sense to me. (Might not to you, and that's fine, I get that a lot.)
Personally, I like combining them because I like encouraging multiclassing. It's one of the more interesting aspects of this system.

Combining them has the effect of encouraging multiclassing. Separating them has the effect of discouraging multiclassing. Consider your goals and decide accordingly.

inuyasha
2016-11-14, 10:29 PM
Alright, with the viewpoints expressed I think I will go ahead and have them stack with caster levels for this purpose, because psionics in 3.PF aren't like those of 1E, you actually have to dedicate class levels to hone them, and I also like to encourage multiclassing like Troacctid.

It'll also be good for introducing psionics into an existing game as well, which is what I'll be doing.