PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Death Effect Inmnity

Edulahin
2016-11-15, 10:13 AM
Hi guys, Im looking for cheap ways to negate Death Effect.

all I could find are these

Why you need it: Death effects kill you. Negative levels/energy drain are a very common, very wide-spanning debuff, which stack with themselves. Also, some of them cause you to permanently lose levels, which means you have to back-edit your character sheet, and no one wants to bother with that. All sorts of nasty things are caused by "negative energy".

Cheap:
Talisman of Undying Fortitude (MIC). 8000GP, held. Swift action activation, gives you lots of undead immunities for 3 rounds, including those that are relevant here.
Death Ward armor enhancement (MIC). +1 armor enhancement. Once per day, ignore Death effects, energy drain and negative energy effects as an immediate action.
Crystal of Adaptation armor crystal (MIC). 3000GP, armor crystal. Protects from the negative levels bestowed by visiting major negative-dominant planes.
Standard/Deluxe:
Soulfire Armor Enhancement (BoED). +4 armor enhancement. Total immunity to Death effects, energy drain, and negative energy.
Choker of Life Protection (MIC). 14000GP, throat slot. The cheaper version of the Bone Ring (below), requires immediate action activation, and can't handle ability drain, but is significantly cheaper.
Bone Ring (MIC). 20000GP, ring slot. Protects against three negative levels (or points of ability drain) per day, but not against Death effects or general "negative energy" effects.
Ring of Negative Protection (MIC). 36000GP, ring slot. Immunity to negative levels and negative-dominant planar traits, but not Death effects or negative energy effects in general.
Absorbing Armor Enhancement (DotF). +3 armor enhancement. Weird enhancement that allows partial protection against ability drain and "level drain". I'd hold out for Soulfire, but this is cheaper.

Im I missing out?

Starbuck_II
2016-11-15, 10:26 AM
Change race to Lumi.
Get Scarab of protection: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#scarabofProtection

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-15, 11:26 AM
You already have all the affordable options i'm aware of listed. It doesn't really get any cheaper than the Talisman or Death Ward enhancement.
Until you can afford Soulfire armor you shouldn't have too much trouble with Death Effects and Energy Drain anyway. It's a pretty rare effect at lower levels, so the cheap 1/day option should suffice.

There's an armor crystal in MIC that grants a +1/+3/+5 bonus to saves against death effects, energy drain and negative energy, and the greater one allows 1 reroll/day.
It's not total immunity, but if you already have good fort saves it's a far cheaper option than getting complete immunity.
Obviously not enough once no-save attacks come into play, but very good for the price before that. Maybe combine it with Death Ward armor if you're worried.

There's a similar one for mind-affecting, which is useful on a high-will character if you still want to get morale bonuses or don't yet have access to Mind Blank.

Change race to Lumi.
Get Scarab of protection: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#scarabofProtection
The Scarab costs almost twice what you pay for a set of Soulfire armor, and it's not even unlimited.

Inevitability
2016-11-15, 12:00 PM
You could also turn into a construct or undead. Paying someone to cast Create Undead on your corpse (turning you into a Bone Creature) is only 660 GP + 50 GP/HD if you have a cleric or wizard do it, 500 + 50/HD if you pay a Blighter, and with a Death Master doing it for 450 + 50/HD.

I personally suggest the blighter, as they won't be able to control your undead body post-animating. Clerics and Death Masters could try to rebuke you and wizards have Command/Control undead, but Blighters lack such abilities. Saving 50 GP is not worth the risk that comes with trusting an Evil Orcus-worshipper.