PDA

View Full Version : Science Adventures RPG

Quiver
2016-11-15, 02:51 PM
So, I recently discovered Steins;Gate, and I've been enjoying it a lot. Of course, reading about it made me aware that it is a shared universe setting with two other series, forming a group titled the 'Science Adventures'.

So... I was wondering if anyone knew any RPG'S that replicate that tone?

I mean, technically any RPG could be like them; it depends on the story. but are there any systems you guys would recommend that lend themselves to that modern day, sci-fi conspiracy tone?

Fri
2016-11-16, 12:13 PM
Well obviously, to put this out first, Fate Core. I know some people hate that it keep being suggested, but this time, of all kind of game, Fate Core actually IS the system to have pulpy conspiratorial urban adventure game. It's not revolving around fiddly combat, it got mental and physical stress track, consequences, revolves around aspects and stunts, etc etc. Honestly, THIS is what Fate Core is made for.

After that, Powered by the Apocalypse I guess? I'm sure you can easily make a science adventure hack of Apocalypse World.

Those are what on top of my head now, but I'll mention more when I remember.

To explain to those who are unfamiliar, the Science Adventure series (which include Steins:Gate) is basically an urban science-fantasy game about a bunch of ragtag-bunch of misfits running around town investigating science-based conspiracy (time travel, clones, artificial intelligence), in a light-hearted low-action pulpy way that often have a lot of TWEEST. So a lot of investigating cafes and tailing mysterious person, chases, dodging men in black, heists, surprises and twists (you never knew that your mother was actually the head of MIT research on combat drone on her youth!) but actually not much fistfight or gunfight.

ComradeBear
2016-11-16, 01:56 PM
FATE might actually work well for this, but it's going to be sufficient at it, rather than stellar. I'm not sure how many games with a focus on mystery and conspiracy with a pure science-fiction flavor exist right now. Call of Cthulhu is the nearest I can think of, but it is obviously not sci-fi.

This would actually be a very cool concept to make a system out of. I'm already getting some.GM-side ideas about it...

Mechalich
2016-11-16, 08:28 PM
Being somewhat more specific than FATE Core, you may want to consider the Atomic Robo RPG, which is a pulp-science RPG built off FATE Core, specifically for the purpose of having pulpy science adventures, especially if you're interested in the trilogy's more high-powered elements such as the stuff that shows up in the second half of Chaos:Head and the last arc of Robotics:Notes.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-16, 09:53 PM
FATE might actually work well for this, but it's going to be sufficient at it, rather than stellar. I'm not sure how many games with a focus on mystery and conspiracy with a pure science-fiction flavor exist right now. Call of Cthulhu is the nearest I can think of, but it is obviously not sci-fi.
Gumshoe System, maybe? Ashen Stars?

Fri
2016-11-16, 10:24 PM
gumshoe might work, though despite my wanting, I still havent' got any experience with it.

Actually in my opinion this is one of the few things that Fate Core would be great at instead of just decent. And Gumshoe might be in the same position.

Quiver
2016-11-17, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! Fate was actually the first RPG system I became aware of, so hearing that it might be well-suited for this kind of game is not the criticizing death blow some seem to think it might be.

(Incidentally, if anyone ever does decide to do a Science Adventures-themed game or system, please let me know. I would be very interested to see the results of that)

Thanks again!