PDA

View Full Version : AL Character Help, again

Nicodiemus
2016-11-15, 03:20 PM
Looking for interesting character ideas for an AL campaign starting at level 2. Not necessarily power builds [though I'm not opposed] but I'm looking for something entertaining to play. Feeling in a character creation rut. Thanks for the help!

2D8HP
2016-11-15, 03:32 PM
You'll probably get some more interesting ideas, but at second level I love playing Outlander background Fighter/Rogues.
Here's one:
Riardon,
(wood elf fighter/rogue)
AC: 15, HP: 17, Perception: 17 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=955887)

Biggstick
2016-11-15, 03:54 PM
What are some of the classes you've played before?

I know in Adventure League, you're not playing with the same people every game. This means the personality you play needs to be comfortable with an ever changing group. Finding a fun personality for the PC that fits these requirements is a bigger part in building the character then actual build in my opinion. As for the actual class build you go with, I assume you already know you're also going to be playing with different DMs; so the character you end up playing needs to be one that doesn't depend on DM interpretation to be effective (Assassin Rogue gaining surprise rounds for example).

Another thing I'd like to point out is with AL you're probably going to be playing with people who optimize heavily. Standing out in a group like this to me means playing something that isn't the standard play (Sorcadin/Paladorc, Bladelock, Sharpshooters, Great Weapon Masters, etc).

Once we hear what classes and combinations you've played before, we can give you a better opinion on something new and exciting for you to play. :)

EvilAnagram
2016-11-15, 03:58 PM
Gnome transmutation wizard who only takes save spells. Pick up available transmutation spells before considering anything else, and use them in creative ways.

Oramac
2016-11-15, 04:00 PM
Feeling in a character creation rut. Thanks for the help!

If you're in a rut, try one of two things:

1) a class you've never played before. We can't make this call since we don't know what you have played.

2) some bonkers off-the-wall character that makes no sense. A Protector Aasimar Warlock of Asmodius, for example. Make up some wonky fluff to back it up and have fun with it.

Or my personal favorite: the Naked Barbarian. Carry around a backpack, sword, and nothing else. No clothes at all. Bonus points for playing a female character.

Nicodiemus
2016-11-15, 04:51 PM
Vuman F1/Wiz17 Evoker, picked up the fighter level b/c I was a bit of a glass cannon at lower levels

Elven R3/Wiz7 swashbuckler/Bladesinger but it didn't synch quite as well as I'd hoped

VTiefling War1/Rgr2 Goo/Spell less shooting for a Swiss army type feel with blade lock plus combat maneuvers

Those are my 3 most recent

Biggstick
2016-11-15, 05:47 PM
It seems like you have a tendency towards spell casters. Are you looking to play another spell caster or something different?

Both Tempest and Light Cleric bring tons of blasting potential. The Channel Divinities for both classes are nice tools, with Light being more valuable in the early game and Tempest being more valuable in the late game. Shatter, Call Lightning, and Destructive Wave for the Tempest, and Fireball for the Light.

If you're concerned with late game and want a bit more cantrip flavor for Cleric, Arcana Cleric brings great options with the two extra cantrip choices plus the level 17 capstone (yay Wizard spells!).

mgshamster
2016-11-15, 06:53 PM
If you're in a rut, play the Trinket Game! (See my sig).

It's what I do when I can't figure out what to play, and it works really well for coming up with a character concept.

My most recent attempt yielded a costal druid water genasi with the entertainer background for AL, and I'm really happy with how the character ended up in play.

Specter
2016-11-15, 09:37 PM
Well, fun build? Lightfoot Halfling Diviner 2/Wild Magic Sorcerer X. The ultimate fatespinner.

Nicodiemus
2016-11-15, 09:52 PM
Thank you everyone for the input, and inspirations. I'm loving the Trinket game and I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. I'll be sure to post the results!

Oramac
2016-11-16, 01:29 PM
Well, fun build? Lightfoot Halfling Diviner 2/Wild Magic Sorcerer X. The ultimate fatespinner.

My AL group played an entire party like this once.

5 players

All Halflings

All at least 2 levels of Divination Wizard (some main-classed Bard or Cleric)

All with the Lucky Feat.

Our DM hated us. It was awesome.

Tauguy628
2016-11-16, 11:59 PM
1)Deep Gnome abjurer wizard (NONDETECTION!)
2)Firblog moon druid
3)Lizardfolk grappler build (don't know exactly what this would consist of, probably rouge 2 for expertise, and mabey monk and/or barb).
4)Half Drow sorclock.
5)The stealthiest (insert race of choice here) alive: trickery cleric 3/rogue 2/whatever else you want. Gives pass w/out trace, expertise, and blessing of the trickster. Have fun with +19 to stealth and advantage!

Oramac
2016-11-17, 09:09 AM
blessing of the trickster

Can't use Blessing of the Trickster on yourself, sadly. Other than that the idea is solid. :)

Tauguy628
2016-11-17, 09:45 AM
Can't use Blessing of the Trickster on yourself, sadly. Other than that the idea is solid. :)
Yea, that's too bad. The party will be sure to thank you though and you still have an average stealth role of 29 at level 5, and 37 at level 20, assuming you max dex and don't get any other stat buffs