PDA

View Full Version : Enlightened spirit for EB goodness?

weckar
2016-11-15, 04:42 PM
From a recent Q&A question, Enlightened spirit does not seem to progress the warlock's caster level for any purpose (Making Transform Magic rather useless, butttt....).
That got me thinking, since ES' EB progression is already better than the default warlock at most levels - And practiced spellcaster does advance EB... That's an extra 2d6 right there, I think? Up until lv 18 or so, at least. All the way up to 20 if you still want to go Hellfire Warlock.

So, when it comes to straight damage, it is a GOOD thing Enlightened Spirit doesn't progress caster levels?

Troacctid
2016-11-15, 04:57 PM
From a recent Q&A question, Enlightened spirit does not seem to progress the warlock's caster level for any purpose (Making Transform Magic rather useless, butttt....).
Depends on if you think transform magic is a warlock invocation or an enlightened spirit invocation. If it's the latter, it has a caster level equal to your hit dice.

And practiced spellcaster does advance EB...
No it doesn't.

So, when it comes to straight damage, it is a GOOD thing Enlightened Spirit doesn't progress caster levels?
Only if you like getting absolutely wrecked by spell resistance.

weckar
2016-11-15, 05:00 PM
Wait, Practiced Spellcaster doesn't advance EB? ... Are you sure?

Was it a FAQ thing that made me think it was?

Considering earlier consensus pointed to the fact that upon being eligible to swap out warlock invocations on warlock levels you could also change ES invocations - I think it can be said those are Warlock invocations?

Troacctid
2016-11-15, 05:09 PM
Wait, Practiced Spellcaster doesn't advance EB? ... Are you sure?
Yes. The damage is not tied to your caster level.

Considering earlier consensus pointed to the fact that upon being eligible to swap out warlock invocations on warlock levels you could also change ES invocations - I think it can be said those are Warlock invocations?
Are they, though? They don't appear on the warlock class's invocation list. It seems to me like the invocation is granted by the Enlightened Spirit class. Perhaps the intent is for them to be warlock invocations, but if so, it's not clear in the text AFAICT, and anyway, I'm sure the intent is that Enlightened Spirit shouldn't nerf your caster level, and yet here we are.

weckar
2016-11-15, 05:24 PM
Hmmm... Just had a chat with my DM over this whole mess. She's asking me to do a re-write of the class that "actually works as intended". I think mere mention of the fact that ES levels stack with Warlock caster levels for all purposes except EB and invocations would go a long way?

Actually, if EB damage is not tied to caster level... other PrCs that do +1 caster level do progress it, right?

Troacctid
2016-11-15, 05:29 PM
Hmmm... Just had a chat with my DM over this whole mess. She's asking me to do a re-write of the class that "actually works as intended". I think mere mention of the fact that ES levels stack with Warlock caster levels for all purposes except EB and invocations would go a long way?
What I would do is tie blast damage to caster level, then have Enlightened Spirit advance your warlock caster level. I would also have it stack for the highest grade of invocations you can learn, so that when you leave the class, you don't have to go back to learning lesser invocations even though you should be high enough level for darks.

Actually, if EB damage is not tied to caster level... other PrCs that do +1 caster level do progress it, right?
Yes, but only because there's a special rule saying so. I have a spreadsheet in my sig with a complete sortable list of prestige classes that can progress warlock invocations, if that's helpful.

weckar
2016-11-15, 06:01 PM
Fair assessment. Sorry for being a bit of a dummy throughout this. Turns out I had completely misread the Keith Baker Warlock Q&A.

Psyren
2016-11-15, 06:11 PM
ES is usually used in gestalt - it raises EB damage directly, while a more traditional PrC advances your warlock caster level, thus letting you double-dip.

On its own, yeah it's not great, because even middling SR will basically act as a hefty miss chance on your shots.

weckar
2016-11-15, 06:15 PM
Agreement with the DM: ES does increase CL for the purposes of overcoming SR and invocations that depend on it - Practiced Spellcaster does as well - Neither increases EB damage except where explicitly listed. (But she's willing to allow a form of a Practiced Eldritch Blaster feat once we agree on the wording).

Troacctid
2016-11-15, 06:22 PM
Can you finagle dark invocations at level 16? The high end feels pretty depressing otherwise. No dedicated warlock should be restricted to lesser invocations at level 16.

weckar
2016-11-15, 06:23 PM
I doubt it. But all things considered this specific character will lose some invoker levels anyway to Paladin and Marshal levels, so I dont think the point is worth arguing right now.