PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Second opinion on upcoming boss fight? *Curse of Artaith Players keep out*

curious-puzzle
2016-11-15, 07:44 PM
**Curse of Artaith players, PLEASE keep out as to avoid spoiling things for yourself**

Anywho, I've got a boss fight in my Dark Souls-themed game coming up in (most likely) the next session that is quite important plotwise, as well as significant in a metagame-y way too.

It's my version / tribute to Ornstein and Smough. For those who haven't played Dark Souls, it's one of the most notorious boss fights in the game (in a game already infamous for brutal bosses), two gigantic knights who shock, stab, and pulverize your hero without mercy. So here are my candidates for said shock/stab/pulverizing!

“Ornstein”, Storm Giant Swordsage 3
Size/Type:Huge Giant
Hit Dice:22d8+154 (284 hp)
Initiative:+5
Speed:50 ft., swim 40 ft.
Armor Class:35 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +12 natural, +5 breastplate, +6 misc), touch 18, flat-footed 31
Base Attack/Grapple:+16/+40
Bull rush check +24, trip check +28
Attack:Guisarme +31/26/21/16 melee (3d6+24/x3) or 2 slams +30 melee (1d6+16)
-2 to attack within reach
Space/Reach:
15 ft./15 ft. (30 ft reach with Guisarme)
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, maneuvers (IL 12, 8 known, 5 readied, 2 stances)
Special Qualities:
Freedom of movement, immunity to electricity, low-light vision, rock catching, water breathing, Quick to act, Stances (Pearl of Black doubt adds +2 AC each time an opponent misses in a turn, resets each turn)(Leaping Dragon adds 10 ft to jumping distance)
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +15, Will +20
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 18, Con 25, Int 16, Wis 22, Cha 15
Skills: Climb +20, Concentration +27, Craft (any one) +13, Diplomacy +4, Intimidate +12, Jump +36, Listen +15, Perform (sing) +12, Sense Motive +26, Spot +25, Swim +18*
Feats: Power attack, Combat expertise, Combat reflexes, Improved Trip, Short Haft, Adaptive style, Iron will, Hold the Line
Maneuvers (* commonly readied)

*Shocking Blade-swift, attacks deal 1d6 +12 elec damage for 1 turn

*Lightning Charge-Full round, Charge with perfect flight, deal +5d6 elec on charge

Sudden Leap - swift, jump check as swift action

*Baffling defense - immediate, use sense motive check as AC

Rapid Counter - immediate, free attack when opponent provokes

*Disrupting Blow - Standard, normal attack. Will DC 31 or cannot act 1 round

*MIrrored Pursuit - immediate, move and end adjacent to opponent when they move (no Aoo, cannot exceed movement)
Ballista Throw-Trip attempt with +4. Throw opponent in 60 ft line, opponent and everyone in line takes 6d6 damage
Spell-Like Abilities
3/day—call lightning (DC 15), chain lightning (DC 18). Caster level 15th. Freedom of Movement (Su)
Storm giants have a continuous freedom of movement ability as the spell (caster level 20th). The effect can be dispelled, but the storm giant can create it again on its next turn as a free action.
Gear - Mithral Breastplate (huge), masterwork Guisarme (huge), Ring of Resistance +3 (medium can wear as torc or bracelet)

“Smough”, Storm Giant Warblade 3
Size/Type:Huge Giant
Hit Dice:19d8+3d12 +178 (328 hp)
Initiative:+3
Speed:35 ft. (7 squares), swim 30 ft. (6 squares) in armor; base speed 50 ft., swim 40 ft.
Armor Class:31 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +12 natural, +8 plate), touch 11, flat-footed 31
Base Attack/Grapple:+17/+41
Bull rush/trip check +25
Attack: Greathammer+34/29/24/19 melee (4d6+25/19-20 x4) or slam +31 melee (1d6+17)

Space/Reach:15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Maneuvers, knockback (bullrush on hit, pwr attk penalty is bonus), Large and in charge (push out of square on Aoo), Three mountains (if hit twice in round, Fort DC 38 or nauseated)
Special Qualities:Freedom of movement, immunity to electricity, low-light vision, rock catching, water breathing, Uncanny dodge, battle clarity
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +15, Will +15
Abilities: Str 42 (44), Dex 16, Con 25 (27), Int 18, Wis 22, Cha 15
Skills: Climb +20, Concentration +37, Craft (any one) +13, Diplomacy +4, Intimidate +12, Jump +36, Listen +15, Perform (sing) +12, Sense Motive +15, Spot +25, Swim +18*
Feats: Power attack, Exotic weapon proficiency (minotaur greathammer), Improved Bull rush, Knockback, Large and in Charge, Cleave, Weapon focus (greathammer), Three mountains style
Maneuvers (* commonly readied)

*Wall of Blades - immediate, use attack roll as AC vs 1 attack

*Emerald Razor (all-encompassing attack) - Standard, attack vs touch ac

*MIthral tornado - standard, attack against all adjacent opponents

Bonecrusher - standard, +4d6 dmg, Fort DC 28 or +10 to be confirmed against

Mountain Avalanche - Full round, trample double speed (2d6+24), Reflex DC 31 if
Square isn’t fully covered

Freedom of Movement (Su)
Storm giants have a continuous freedom of movement ability as the spell (caster level 20th). The effect can be dispelled, but the storm giant can create it again on its next turn as a free action.
Gear - Mithral Full plate (huge), masterwork minotaur greathammer (huge), Ring of might (+2 Str and +2 CON, huge, can be worn as a torc)

So the party is 13th level, and consists of a frenzied berserker (charges, deals absurd dmg), a dungeon crasher/warforged juggernaught (surprisingly mobile, immune to a LOT, tough), a cleric/radiant servant (has some DMM persist, buffs, terrible luck with SR), a sorcerer/pactbound adept (defensive focused normally, custom pact lists make for good versatility), and a war forged ranger/deep woods sniper (sneaky, can put out pretty good dmg).

I want this to be a brutally hard fight - winning this is a major milestone. My campaign has a respawn mechanic, so I am expecting multiple deaths, possibly even a couple TPKs (I don't want too many however).

It's going to be a large chamber with pillars breaking it up, and a platform above (that the players likely won't reach). Not too much environmental stuff other than the pillars being smashed for cover, impromptu projectiles, dramatic effect, etc.

I was going to have the full fog gate entrance right out of the video game (since everyone has been asking me for one) with a slightly cruel twist - passing through the fog hits you with a targeted dispel.

So am I on the right track, too far, not far enough? Opinions are greatly appreciated!

PrismCat21
2016-11-15, 09:10 PM
I'm excited to read about this one :D
Knowing your guys, they'll buff up beforehand if they believe big combat is imminent. But you've already got that covered with the fog.

I wouldn't worry too much. Your two melee brutes have to get in close to deal any significant damage, and the giants will be able to keep them at a distance if you choose.
Most everything I would suggest you've already thought of. Maybe a couple illusions of fresh giants midway through the fight to really mess with their heads. They may waste a couple actions focusing on them instead :D

John Longarrow
2016-11-16, 01:34 AM
For a memorable fight, I'd replace the sword sage with a cloud giant who's got 1 level of sorcerer and 5 of abjurant champion. Their 3rd level spell is Dispel magic. Also give them a cloak +6 Cha. They'd have a 19 Cha for the fight. They'd have a BAB of 14 from level advancement, so their caster level is 14.

This would let them burn shield spells to boost their AC by 9 and cast Dispel magic as a swift against buffed party members. That should be rather brutal, especially if both levitate up so they can rain down ranged attacks against chargers before they get into melee.

Fizban
2016-11-16, 10:27 AM
How's the stats compare to the mecha-hydra/how well will the brain combo work? Do they have any vitae to burn like the pyro did or a death combo, or just two bruisers? Stats do seem suitably hueg.

curious-puzzle
2016-11-16, 02:19 PM
For a memorable fight, I'd replace the sword sage with a cloud giant who's got 1 level of sorcerer and 5 of abjurant champion. Their 3rd level spell is Dispel magic. Also give them a cloak +6 Cha. They'd have a 19 Cha for the fight. They'd have a BAB of 14 from level advancement, so their caster level is 14.

This would let them burn shield spells to boost their AC by 9 and cast Dispel magic as a swift against buffed party members. That should be rather brutal, especially if both levitate up so they can rain down ranged attacks against chargers before they get into melee.

That is pretty evil, but having one of the guardians buffing doesn't really fit the feel of the fight unfortunately. That does tempt me to spend some of their treasure on consumable buffs, however...

How's the stats compare to the mecha-hydra/how well will the brain combo work? Do they have any vitae to burn like the pyro did or a death combo, or just two bruisers? Stats do seem suitably hueg.

They've got similar AC to the mecha-hydra, but more hit points each and WAY more offensive output. I suspect a raged-out elder brain will come into play, but it certainly won't be able to trivially smash either guardian apart.

I wasn't going to give them Vitae, but once one guardian died, I was going to go the same route as Dark Souls - The remaining guardian is healed to full, and then "supercharged." I'm just not sure if said supercharge should just involve gaining the dead guardian's maneuvers, a size increase, or a couple buff spells (or if I should hold off and decide on the fly depending on how beaten up the group is).

John Longarrow
2016-11-16, 02:45 PM
That is pretty evil, but having one of the guardians buffing doesn't really fit the feel of the fight unfortunately. That does tempt me to spend some of their treasure on consumable buffs, however...

That is part of the beauty of AC... Swift abjuration lets them toss up a shield spell at the start of the fight (or when ever its dropped) without there being much obvious "They are buffing". The real use is to dispel a PCs buff spells just before opening up with a full attack!

Hey, you did want this to be a tough, memorable fight... :belkar:

Fizban
2016-11-17, 09:37 AM
I don't think they've ever fully wiped on a boss right? Size increase (with accompanying armor increase to avoid loss) and a buff would be quite appropriate. Fires of Purity is a nice place to start, Su/substituted/whatevered to taste. I don't like that lack of fly speed though, large room and a party that knows how to use fly vs monsters not specced for range.

curious-puzzle
2016-11-18, 12:40 PM
I'll make sure the ceiling is low enough that there is no easy way of kiting out of reach.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'm quite looking forward to running tomorrow :)