PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psionic focus while expending it?

adalst
2016-11-16, 05:42 AM
Ok, so this is a tricky question that I have not been able to find a decent answer on... For things like the bonus damage on Psionic Shot or that ilk, as well as other things that require you to maintain psionic focus, like the Marksman Mantras and Intuitive Shot, when you expend focus for some effect, such as using Psionic Shot, do the maintenance effects persist for that event, then go away subsequently, or do they go away immediately and are replaced by the extra damage or w/e it is. For reference:
Psionic Weapon
Benefit: While you maintain psionic focus, your attacks with a melee weapon deal an extra 1 point of damage. Additionally, if you expend your psionic focus as part of an attack with a melee weapon, that attack instead deals an extra 2d6 points of damage. You must decide whether or not to use this feat prior to making an attack. If your attack misses, you still expend your psionic focus.

The inclusion of the additionally clause makes me feel like you get the extra point as well as the 2d6 for that one attack, then both go away.

The situation is this, I have a style mantra, greater psionic shot, and a style technique. The technique requires expending, whereas intuitive shot and the mantra work while maintaining. The technique and intuitive shot both add my wis mod to damage, whereas the mantra is a level based bonus. So just using the mantra, and GPS, I am at +5 to my damage. If I use the Technique and I don't lose it, that is great... but if I do, boo, I am only gaining 1 damage on the attack. Any idea for an official rule on this?

exelsisxax
2016-11-16, 08:32 AM
The feat says instead, so you don't get the 1 bonus damage. Other focused bonuses will be in play if they work like the focused portion of psionic weapon.

Sayt
2016-11-16, 04:56 PM
Exel is correct, but note that you can use deep focus and/or a psicrystal to get a second focus, and persistent focus to always count as focused for a given thing.

Ualaa
2016-11-16, 06:39 PM
Also, consider Psionic Meditation to regain your focus as a Move Action (instead of a Full-Round action).

You can combine that with 'Hustle', which costs 3PP (and your Swift action) but gets you an extra Move Action.

adalst
2016-11-16, 11:12 PM
Ok, so the base damage from GPS would go away, but as long as an effect just calls for "Maintaining psionic focus" and doesn't have a replacement effect for expending, it will be in effect for that shot, then go away after it? I ask because we are heading towards mythic ranks in the game and she will definitely be taking mythic improved vital strike, which multiplies all of this extra damage stuff, so I need to make sure I know what is being kept and what isn't on a shot.

exelsisxax
2016-11-17, 07:55 AM
Ok, so the base damage from GPS would go away, but as long as an effect just calls for "Maintaining psionic focus" and doesn't have a replacement effect for expending, it will be in effect for that shot, then go away after it? I ask because we are heading towards mythic ranks in the game and she will definitely be taking mythic improved vital strike, which multiplies all of this extra damage stuff, so I need to make sure I know what is being kept and what isn't on a shot.

When you make the attack, you get all your focus bonuses. Then, by expending focus, you upgrade one of them to the expend bonus. The rest remain for that attack.

adalst
2016-11-17, 02:31 PM
When you make the attack, you get all your focus bonuses. Then, by expending focus, you upgrade one of them to the expend bonus. The rest remain for that attack.

Awesome, thanks. Glad to know I have been handling it right, things are just about to get kinda crazy and I want to make sure that I am doing everything right. Actually, that brings up another question, criticals on things like GPS and Deep Crystal. The way they are worded they seem like they increase the attack damage, and indeed thematically you are increasing the mass of the projectile right at the point of impact or increasing the energy when it is fired (in the case of Deep Crystal), so it would make sense that it would crit. Also, the descriptions lack the usual "This damage is not multiplied on a critical" language that precision damage has. Indeed, these extra d6's are not precision damage, nor are they extra elemental damage like Flaming, which I know doesn't crit. So what is your ruling? My groups have been running them as though they crit, and it has been fun, just want some other rules lawyer's takes on it.

exelsisxax
2016-11-17, 02:39 PM
Awesome, thanks. Glad to know I have been handling it right, things are just about to get kinda crazy and I want to make sure that I am doing everything right. Actually, that brings up another question, criticals on things like GPS and Deep Crystal. The way they are worded they seem like they increase the attack damage, and indeed thematically you are increasing the mass of the projectile right at the point of impact or increasing the energy when it is fired (in the case of Deep Crystal), so it would make sense that it would crit. Also, the descriptions lack the usual "This damage is not multiplied on a critical" language that precision damage has. Indeed, these extra d6's are not precision damage, nor are they extra elemental damage like Flaming, which I know doesn't crit. So what is your ruling? My groups have been running them as though they crit, and it has been fun, just want some other rules lawyer's takes on it.

The flat damage from psionic weapon feats are multiplied, the dice are not. Crits never re-roll dice other than weapon damage dice unless the ability explicitly says so.

adalst
2016-11-17, 03:36 PM
The flat damage from psionic weapon feats are multiplied, the dice are not. Crits never re-roll dice other than weapon damage dice unless the ability explicitly says so.

Ok, I will mention that to some players and see if the GMs want to fix it. Thanks.