PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Fighter/Sorcerer

Tiwanoz
2016-11-16, 09:32 AM
Hello playgrounders!
I've recently joined a campaign and we're starting at 5th level. And I've decided to go with 2 levels of Fighter and 3 levels of Shadow Sorcerer.

I plan on mostly using Booming Blade as my main method of attack. Holding out my Sorcery Points and Action Surge for a big Nova.

My question is would this strategy actually gain me advantage on the attack rolls for Scorching Ray? Since I presume it counts as a magical source of light? Same goes for Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade/Lightning Lure.

Action: Eye of Darkness (Cast Magical Darkness. See in this magical darkness. )
Action Surge: Cast Scorching Ray.
Quickened Spell: Cast Scorching Ray as a Bonus Action.

Thanks in advance!

Specter
2016-11-16, 10:18 AM
You would get adbantage against an enemy inside the darkness, but you can't cast a leveled spell ifbyou cast a spell as a bonus action.

Tiwanoz
2016-11-16, 10:30 AM
Do you mean that I cannot Quicken a 2nd level spell? Or that I cannot Quicken a 1st level spell upcast to a 2nd level spell?

Gastronomie
2016-11-16, 10:32 AM
Personally I prefer Paladin 2/Sorc 3 for that build (link to guide is in my sig - even if you're sticking with Fighter, I'm sure you can get some good knowledge from it), but anyhow:

Whether Scorching Ray and the other spells can illuminate the light in non-"direct light" ways (fire etc.) are entirely up to the DM and we cannot answer. Most people would give you advantage, though, since the advantage created from being blinded owes to how you have no idea of the direction from which the attack will come. When the enemies see the ray coming at them, it's too late to dodge.
This is not something you asked, but as for the "dispelling light spell of level 2 or lower" bit of the Darkness spell, arguing that negates GFB, Scorching Ray etc. is a totally d*** move that most DMs will never do. It's strongly implied it only affects "Light", "Faerie Fire" and other spells of that sort that specify "light" in their descriptions.
As aforementioned by others, you can't cast Darkness and Scorching Ray in the same turn. This is because you can cast only one spell with a level per turn (look at page 202 of the PHB, "Bonus Action"). Works with GFB, but I honestly would not use resources to do that unless it's really in a hurry.
However, I strongly advice you not take Scorching Ray in the first place, since it's honestly a bad choice for gish builds.

clash
2016-11-16, 10:48 AM
An addendum to what Gastronomie said:
If you cast a spell as a bonus action you can only cast one spell with a level that turn.
If you cast a spell as an action, you could for instance use action surge to cast another spell with a level that turn.
So action surge will allow you to cast 2 spells in one turn. Quickening a spell will not.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-16, 10:49 AM
I strongly advice you not take Scorching Ray in the first place, since it's honestly a bad choice for gish builds.

I don't think this is a gish build. It's an attempt to use Action Surge to be a better blaster that has not accounted for the bonus action spells rule.

My advice would be to abandon the sorcerer levels and build a warlock instead.

Tiwanoz
2016-11-16, 11:29 AM
Thats a whole load of good advice right there! I was completely unaware of those caster rules, and the Sorcadin seems like a fun character to play!

But I am indeed trying to build a sort of blaster/control caster. With the fighter levels added for the ability to wear heavy armor and such. I only started to consider the use of Action Surge later.

I was going to take Paladin levels, but unfortunately we already have a Paladin. And I make it a personal rule not to attempt and outshine other characters. And our Paladin really loves to smite.

We also have a Fighter 1/Fienlock 4, Death Cleric and an Assasin Rogue. So I figured I wanted to play a blaster/controller mage. But I dont like being that squishy.

Being an evil-themed party I thought Shadow Sorcerer would fit the bill. Though the more I think about it 3 Wizard levels might be more useful to me in terms of spell selection options/utility then a Sorcerer would. I do really like the concept of Darkness & Slashing. Especially with our warlock having the devils sight ability.

Would a Sorcerer have enough control spells to make my build worthwhile?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-16, 11:58 AM
Would a Sorcerer have enough control spells to make my build worthwhile?

Bard or wizard would probably be better for that; they get more spells known and probably have better lists for the control role.

Gastronomie
2016-11-16, 12:11 PM
So Paladin, Bladelock, Cleric and Assassin, eh? Sounds like the right place to throw in a Bard or a Wizard - but Shadow Sorcerers can work too, especially with a Bladelock in the party.

Bladelocks really like Darkness, but at the same time they also suffer from how Darkness does not scale with spell slot level, making it anti-synergetic with the concept of Warlocks in the first place. If there's a Shadow Sorcerer in the party who can use Darkness at a lower cost (just 1 sorcery point) and economize the Bladelock's spell slots, he'd absolutely fall in love with you.

(Personally, I think Shadow Sorcs are overpowered, and in my games I nerf them - but if your DM allows it, then no reason not to go for it.)

If going Sorc, I advice you take Careful Spell and use spells like Web. Restraining your enemies while your friends are not affected is downright boss. That's not something Wizards can do either.

Question: Is your Bladelock a Fiendlock or no? If he isn't, that might mean the party lacks means of AoE damage, which is a pretty darn bad thing against large hordes. In that case you should focus on Sorcerer levels to get Fireball and stuff. Hypnotic Pattern is another good spell to take, and works better with Careful Spell.

Well, apart from what I said above:

In evil campaigns, wizards are boss. Okay, perhaps not so much in the murderhobo-style raiding and plundering, but if it's a city intrigue campaign or something along those lines, wizards are the best.

This is because wizards can always prepare the best spells they have for each day of activity. I'm currently playing in an evil campaign, and the party wizard has been always really helpful. His rituals and the various situation and yet effective spells he utilizes outside of combat makes him the ace of the party. Probably has to do with personal playstyle, especially how the DM allows us to use good deception to skip through/alter encounters and solve problems without fighting, but anyways.

Tiwanoz
2016-11-17, 07:20 AM
Bard or wizard would probably be better for that; they get more spells known and probably have better lists for the control role.

I've prepared a Bard just in case things go south with my current character, lets see how long they survive versus the forces of good :smallbiggrin:

So Paladin, Bladelock, Cleric and Assassin, eh? Sounds like the right place to throw in a Bard or a Wizard - but Shadow Sorcerers can work too, especially with a Bladelock in the party.

Bladelocks really like Darkness, but at the same time they also suffer from how Darkness does not scale with spell slot level, making it anti-synergetic with the concept of Warlocks in the first place. If there's a Shadow Sorcerer in the party who can use Darkness at a lower cost (just 1 sorcery point) and economize the Bladelock's spell slots, he'd absolutely fall in love with you.

(Personally, I think Shadow Sorcs are overpowered, and in my games I nerf them - but if your DM allows it, then no reason not to go for it.)

If going Sorc, I advice you take Careful Spell and use spells like Web. Restraining your enemies while your friends are not affected is downright boss. That's not something Wizards can do either.

Question: Is your Bladelock a Fiendlock or no? If he isn't, that might mean the party lacks means of AoE damage, which is a pretty darn bad thing against large hordes. In that case you should focus on Sorcerer levels to get Fireball and stuff. Hypnotic Pattern is another good spell to take, and works better with Careful Spell.

Our Bladelock is a Fiendlock so we should be fine on AoE damage as long as we take enough short rests. The Careful Spell + Control spells combination sounds great for some battlefield control, I'll definitely use that!

I honestly don't know much about the campaign setting, I'll be filled in when we start this Friday.

Specter
2016-11-17, 02:47 PM
You should be fine. You'll start to shine at level 7, where you'll be able to drop two simultaneous fireballs at the unsuspecting enemy. If some bothersome caster starts counterspelling you, give him two Subtle Fireballs and watch him cry.