PDA

View Full Version : 'legendary' subclass feats

Ivogel
2016-11-16, 09:35 AM
I came up with the idea to offer feats to specific subclasses who may or may not feel* underpowered to unlock their 'true' potential.

i'll put down what i came up with for the fighter subclasses, feel free to post feedback or other legendary feats.

i tried to make the feats* fun and exciting and focused less on balance

You can take these feats if you have at least 8 levels in fighter with it's corresponding subclass and have performed at least one 'legendary' deed. (dm's discretion)

Feat: Legendary Champion (Champion fighter)

You are as much an unstoppable force as well as an immovable object. only a fool would fight you on one on one.

-Whenever you use your infomitable feature, treat the roll for your saving throw as a 20

-When you perform a critical hit, have your DM roll on the lingering injury table (Dungeon master guide). immediately apply the effect.

Feat: Eldritch Spellsword (Eldritch knight)

The mightiest wizards are jealous of your ability to store spells within your equipment. you discover a way to have your weapons serve as a conduit for the mightiest spells.
1 tip of Hodrick the Crisp: Storing fireballs in them is a bad idea.

- Select 1 spell to be your 'bound spell' (Spell level:highest spell slot available) you can imbue your weapon, shield or armor with this spell. it lasts until you finish a short rest
When you gain spell slots as an eldritch knight you can choose a second and eventually 3d bound spell.when you select a new bound spell you can also change an older bound spell to another one of the same level.
A bound spell is always cast at the level of the highest level spell slot available.

Weapon: Whenever you deal damage with the weapon you can choose to unleash the spell on the enemy you hit. If it is a ranged weapon, you must declare if you unleash the spell before you attack. if you miss, the spell is lost.

Shield: when an enemy misses an attack against you, you can choose to unleash the spell targeting the enemy.

Armor: when you take damage, You can choose to unleash the spell centered on you.

Feat: Purple dragon general (purple dragon knight)
you are such an inspiring figure you inspire even yourself, and can make even the most craven rogue face a mighty dragon.

- You gain a 2nd use/short rest of your rallying cry. Your rallying cry bolsters your allies, anyone who can hear your cry may re-do a saving throw for an effect it is currently afflicted by that required an INT, WIS or CHA saving throw.

Also, add your charisma bonus or half your proficiency (whichever is higher) to the following

- Hp healed by your rallying cry
-attack and damage rolls for the attacks granted by your inspiring surge for you and your allies.
-The saving throws granted by your bulwark ability for you and your allies

Brilliant tactician (Battle master)

You toy with your enemies, their skill is no match for your amazing prowess. you didn't even use your special patented move yet!

-You gain 1 Legendary superiority die, which is a d20 and only recharges on a long rest. you can use this die as you would a regular superiority die.
also, select CHA, INT or WIS. you gain one of the following abilities

- Int: you cleverly know how to feint to confuse your opponent. Make an opposed intelligence check to an opponent
If you win, you can forgo one of your attacks to have advantage on all attacks vs this opponent this turn.

-wis: you have a sixth sense that warns you what your opponents moves are going to be. as a reaction, you can add your wisdom modifier to your AC for one attack. (after the roll)

-Cha: The flair you fight with is unreal! after you down an opponent and make a witty quip (DM's judgement), you gain temporary hit points equal to your level + cha modifier.

clash
2016-11-16, 10:41 AM
Feat: Eldritch Spellsword (Eldritch knight)

- Select 1 spell from the wizard spell list to be your 'bound spell'. you are consider to be a wizard of your fighter level for the purpose of highest spell slot available. you can imbue your weapon, shield or armor with this spell. it lasts until you finish a long rest
When you gain spell slots as an eldritch knight you can choose a second and eventually 3d bound spell.when you select a new bound spell you can also change an older bound spell to another one of the same level.
A bound spell is always cast at the level of the highest level spell slot available as you were a wizard of your fighter level.

Weapon: Whenever you deal damage with the weapon you can choose to unleash the spell on the enemy you hit. If it is a ranged weapon, you must declare if you unleash the spell before you attack. if you miss, the spell is lost.

Shield: when an enemy misses an attack against you, you can choose to unleash the spell targeting the enemy.

Armor: when you take damage, You can choose to unleash the spell centered on you.

As this reads it gives fighters the ability to cast 9th level spells. Is this the intention?

Ivogel
2016-11-16, 11:15 AM
yes eventually the fighter will be able to imbue 1 9th level spell into his equipment. the lower level bound spells will be upscaled to 9th level when cast too, but that is only at high level

clash
2016-11-16, 12:40 PM
So this feat gives a fighter 3 level 9 spells per long rest. Full casters only get one. An the fighter can cast it as part of an 8 attack sequence if he so chooses. That is incredibly OP. I really like the idea behind this but you need to scale down the Eldritch Spellsword at the very least. Fighters don't need 9th level spells. They have 4 attacks every round and 8 attacks twice per short rest. I would keep the Eldritch Spellsword bound spells to those of the usual level for him.

Ivogel
2016-11-16, 02:39 PM
Toned down the eldritch spellsword to follow the eldritch knight spell progression, but now any spell (up to highest spell slot available) is fair game and refreshes on a short rest.

probably still some very effective choices possible but these feats are supposed to be a bit ridiculous ;)

clash
2016-11-16, 02:53 PM
It still outshines the other subclass feats I think, but it is manageable now. I would be interested to see what you come up with for the other classes to compare the new power level these will set for the game.

Ivogel
2016-11-16, 02:56 PM
i'm a fighter guy myself so that's what i have the most inspiration for. glad to see that you seem to like them though.

I don't really feel that it's much more powerful than the others though, they fill different roles