PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice for DM'ing brand new players

2D8HP
2016-11-16, 05:51 PM
While I seldom linger long at the "D&D 3e/3.5e/d20" sub Forum, I saw a cry for help at the Do players EVER read the stuff you prepare for them? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505853-Do-players-EVER-read-the-stuff-you-prepare-for-them) thread and I posted some advice;

OK.... Since my advice is so evidently useful it would be a shame to hide it merely amongst 3.x players, so I'm posting here, but prepare yourselves, perhaps I did not give enough advice, or I may even be partially wrong, and DM's need advice supplemental, or maybe contrary advice (I know that the thought is shocking, but let's keep an open mind).

For DM'ing beginning players, please add additional or better advice to what I have written below:

So, I am having trouble with my players. All new to 3.5, all fairly inexperienced with 5e and D&D in general, they nevertheless signed up to join my campaign. I sent them everything they neededOK sounds like a good start.

Am I unique now in thinking it a good idea to actually start a game knowing a little about the world as though I grew up there? Unusual? Unfortunately not.

They dont read anything, they make no attemptYour surprised?
wrote a fairly compact players guide to my world, including character creation and world background, house rules, geography and, most importantly for tonights rant, the pantheon of both the country they are playing in (a custom pantheon), and the rest of the world (listed where to find information on the gods).Geography and Pantheon? That hardly sounds compact, and actually sounds detrimental to the experience.

My main issue is the lack of understanding of game rules.Yeah that can be problematic, they're so many of them and......
Oh!
You mean the players??!!
When I started playing DnD the players weren't supposed to know all the rules:You are a DM aren't you? Because
As this book is the exclusive precinct of the DM, you must view any non-DM player possessing it as something less than worthy of honorable death.

OK, I think I perceive the problem. The "players" want to have fun exploring during play the fantastic world you created, whilst you want them to play act inhabitants from the start.
Just stop that. It is contrary to how the most gloriously fun game ever created was originally played.
But by Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, we can fix it!

The first version of what became D&D was the rules system inside Dave Arneson's mind.

The rules are there because players want some idea of what the odds are first, and it's easier to choose from a catalog than write on a blank page.

When D&D started there was no mention of role-playing on the box!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DSs2bX13hVc/SfSTvUzCu4I/AAAAAAAAA9A/9bUyti9YmUk/s320/box1st.jpg
While the 1977 Basic set did indeed say "FANTASY ROLE-PLAYING GAME"
http://i2.wp.com/shaneplays.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/dungeons_and_dragons_dd_basic_set_1stedition_origi nal_box_holmes_edition.jpg?zoom=4&resize=312%2C386
The phrase "role-playing" was not part of the 1974 rules.
http://i2.wp.com/shaneplays.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/original_dungeons_and_dragons_dd_men_and_magic_cov er.jpg?zoom=4&resize=312%2C494
Notice that the cover says "Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames", not role-playing!
I believe the first use of the term "role-playing game" was in a Tunnels & Trolls supplement that was "compatible with other Fantasy role-playing games", but early D&D didn't seem any more or less combat focused than the later RPG's I've played, (in fact considering how fragile PC''s were avoiding combat was often the goal!) so I wouldn't say it was anymore of a "Wargame". I would however say it was more an exploration game, and was less character focused.
Frankly while role-playing is alright, it's the 'enjoying a "world" where the fantastic is fact' part that is much more interesting to me.

These rules are strictly fantasy. Those wargamers who lack imagination, those who don't care for Burroughs'
Martian adventures where John Carter is groping through black pits, who feel no thrill upon reading Howard's Conan saga, who do not enjoy the de Camp & Pratt fantasies or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
pitting their swords against evil sorceries will not be likely to find Dungeons & Dragons to their taste. But those whose imaginations know no bounds will find that these rules are the answer to their prayers. With this last
bit of advice we invite you to read on and enjoy a "world" where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!
E. Gary Gygax
Tactical Studies Rules Editor
1 November 1973
Lake Geneva, WisconsinWhile I'm ever grateful to Holmes for his work translating the game rules into English, perhaps he (an academic psychologist) is to be blamed for mis-labelling D&D with the abominable slander of "role-playing" (a psychological treatment technique).
It's too late now to correct the misnomer, but D&D is, was, and should be a fantasy adventure game, not role-playing, a label no good has come from!

“If I want to do that,” he said, “I’ll join an amateur theater group.” (see here (http://www.believermag.com/issues/200609/?read=article_lafarge)).
While Dave Arneson later had the innovation of having his players "roll up" characters, for his "homebrew" of Chainmail:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/04/the-original-dungeon-masters/

At first the players played themselves in a Fantastic medievalish world:
http://swordsandstitchery.blogspot.com/2016/10/in-celebrate-of-dave-arnesons-birthday.html?m=1

So a wargame was made into a setting exploration game, and then was later labelled a "role-playing" game.
While it's still possible to play D&D as the wargame it once was, I'm glad that the game escaped the "wargame" appellation, which makes the game more attractive to those of us with 'less of an interest in tactics, however I argue (to beat a dead horse), that the labeling of D&D as a role-playing game is hurtful ("Your not role-playing, your roll-playing! etc.).
Just label D&D an adventure game, and people can be spared all the hand-wringing, and insults when acting and writing talents don't measure up to "role-playing" standards, and instead we can have fun exploring a fantastic world together.
Please?

Start with some basics, explain verbally that Dungeons & Dragons is a table-top adventure game in which you control the action attempts of adventurers exploring a fantastic world.

Tell them the DM describes a scene.

Players say what actions their PC attempts.

DM makes up a percentage chance of success.

Player rolls dice.

Then the DM narrates the results.

That's the game.

You will be the eyes and ears of the PC's.
Tell the players what their PC's perceive including what the PC's think the odds are. Ask them what the actions of the PC'S are like this:
"Fafhrd (use the PC's name, not the players name, this is to help immersion) you see the Witch King approach what do you do?".

Further explain that the PC's whose action attempts the players control have hit points, and when the PC's suffer damage, the PC's lose hit points. When the PC's have no hit points left, their PC's die. Stress this.
Then explain ability scores.
Start with Strength. Explain that most people have average Strength of 10, and that one in a thousand are so strong that they have a Strength of 18, and that one in a thousand are so weak that they have a Strength of 3.
Explain the other "abilities" likewise.

Next the PC's backgrounds.
Somehow (Worldbuild a reason by Crom!) the PC's speak the language of the region the adventure starts in, but they come from somewhere else, "a small village", "the forest", :the Hall of the Mountain King", together you can add details later.

What gods do the PC's worship?
None.
They worship a goddess who goes by many names:
Tyche, Fortuna, Dame Fortune, The "Lady" (luck). Her holy symbol is dice used as a necklace, and her worshippers hymn is "please, oh please, oh please! ".

Introduce the rest of the Pantheon in play, through what the PC's see and hear. Likewise the Geography.

What brings them to the adventure site?

Treasure!

I'd have to say that I would like to start the campaign In medias res, by the DM telling us something like:
“In the Year of the Behemoth, the Month of the Hedgehog, The Day of the Toad."

"Satisfied that they your near the goal of your quest, you think of how you had slit the interesting-looking vellum page from the ancient book on architecture that reposed in the library of the rapacious and overbearing Lord Rannarsh."

“It was a page of thick vellum, ancient and curiously greenish. Three edges were frayed and worn; the fourth showed a clean and recent cut. It was inscribed with the intricate hieroglyphs of Lankhmarian writing, done in the black ink of the squid. Reading":
"Let kings stack their treasure houses ceiling-high, and merchants burst their vaults with hoarded coin, and fools envy them. I have a treasure that outvalues theirs. A diamond as big as a man's skull. Twelve rubies each as big as the skull of a cat. Seventeen emeralds each as big as the skull of a mole. And certain rods of crystal and bars of orichalcum. Let Overlords swagger jewel-bedecked and queens load themselves with gems, and fools adore them. I have a treasure that will outlast theirs. A treasure house have I builded for it in the far southern forest, where the two hills hump double, like sleeping camels, a day's ride beyond the village of Soreev.

"A great treasure house with a high tower, fit for a king's dwelling—yet no king may dwell there. Immediately below the keystone of the chief dome my treasure lies hid, eternal as the glittering stars. It will outlast me and my name,"

100 years ago the sorcerer Zenopus built a tower on the low hills overlooking Portown. The tower was close to the sea cliffs west of the town and, appropriately, next door to the graveyard.
Rumor has it that the magician made extensive cellars and tunnels underneath the tower. The town is located on the ruins of a much older city of doubtful history and Zenopus was said to excavate in his cellars in search of ancient treasures.

Fifty years ago, on a cold wintry night, the wizard's tower was suddenly engulfed in green flame. Several of his human servants escaped the holocaust, saying their rnaster had been destroyed by some powerful force he had unleashed in the depths of the tower.
Needless to say the tower stood vacant fora while afterthis, but then the neighbors and the night watchmen comploined that ghostly blue lights appeared in the windows at night, that ghastly screams could be heard emanating from the tower ot all hours, and goblin figures could be seen dancina on the tower roof in the moonlight. Finally the authorities had a catapult rolled through the streets of the town and the tower was battered to rubble. This stopped the hauntings but the townsfolk continue to shun the ruins. The entrance to the old dungeons can be easily located as a flight of broad stone steps leading down into darkness, but the few adventurous souls who hove descended into crypts below the ruin have either reported only empty stone corridors or have failed to return at all.
Other magic-users have moved into the town but the site of the old tower remains abandoned.
Whispered tales are told of fabulous treasure and unspeakable monsters in the underground passages below the hilltop, and the story tellers are always careful to point out that the reputed dungeons lie in close proximity to the foundations of the older, pre-human city, to the graveyard, and to the sea.
Portown is a small but busy city 'linking the caravan routes from the south to the merchant ships that dare the pirate-infested waters of the Northern Sea. Humans and non-humans from all over the globe meet here.
At he Green Dragon Inn, the players of the game gather their characters for an assault on the fabulous passages beneath the ruined Wizard's tower.

:smile:

To avoid "railroading" don't drop the PC's into a situation that is lame with their having no choice in the matter
Instead, as in treasure seeking examples, the DM has dropped the PC's into a situation that is AWESOME! so of course the players would choose it.

Don't forget to have someone say:

"When do we get there?"
"Real soon!"

"Demon Dogs!"

"What is best in life?

"This goes to eleven".

"What about you centurion, do you think there's anything funny?"

"A shrubbery!"

:wink:

Your welcome.

Earthwalker
2016-11-17, 06:30 AM
A lot of your advice seems to be how to GM a game of DnD 1e that I want to play in. Not so much general GMing advice for new players. That is purely an observation and not a complaint.

After all what else are you going to do as a GM but run the game you would want to play in.

I had the pleasure of GMing for some new players, starting with DnD 3.5 and then moving onto FATE. I did tell them that I was showing them how I play the games not necessarily how the game is supposed to be played.

My advice for new players is be enthusiastic and try to say yes to their ideas and what they bring to the game. It was amazingly refreshing dealing with new players who don’t know not to try everything and haven’t been beaten down by overly sadistic GMs.

2D8HP
2016-11-17, 12:04 PM
A lot of your advice seems to be how to GM a game of DnD 1e that I want to play in.Thanks! It heartening to hear that someone in the world would like that game, but I guess that means that my "thawed from the ice" advice doesn't work for 21st Century D&D?
Not so much general GMing advice for new players. That is purely an observation and not a complaint.Um yeah, of the about a dozen other RPG's table top adventure games I actually played (mostly in the 1980's) I just didn't have as much fun as I did playing D&D
After all what else are you going to do as a GM but run the game you would want to play in. Well I've GM'd RPG's table top adventure
games that were my players preferences, not mine.
Sometime in the early to mid 1980's my players really wanted to try other games with different settings, chiefly Call of Cthullu (horror), Champions (comic book superheroes), and Top Secret (espionage), since I just didn't care as much about those games (I don't think I ever read all the rules of Top Secret), and I really "phoned it in".
One day after I'd GM'd a little Call of Cthullu, but no Champions or Top Secret yet, my players craved yet another RPG table top adventure game. I studied the Champions rules and just got bogged down learning them, and I barely had time to glance at Top Secret.

So what did I do?

I ran a "Top Secret" campaign using about 10% of the Top Secret rules, 70% of the Call of Cthullu rules (my thinking was that the 1920's was close enough to the 1980's, and CoC proved very easy to adapt), and 20% were rules I made up on the spot to hold it together. I described scenes I remembered from movies, and I made up most everything on the spot with little to no prep work on my part (I did have years of experience DM'ing already though).
It worked great! My players loved it :smile: (they loved it too much, I really just wanted to be a D&D player again, the closest I ever got to that in the next couple of decades was a little Rolemaster, some Runequest, and Shadowrun,. I barely got to play any D&D again until last year).:frown:
I don't know if I can improvise now like I could then, but after that experience I decided that setting is much more important than rules anyway.
I had the pleasure of GMing for some new players, starting with DnD 3.5 and then moving onto FATE.I haven't yet played either 3.5 D&D, or FATE, but I bought FATE this year, it looks cool.

It was amazingly refreshing dealing with new players who don’t know not to try everything and haven’t been beaten down by overly sadistic GMs.Something that has bewildered me, is that so many DM's are suprised by, and voice complaints that their players either don't roleplay, and just treat their PC's as a collection of "stats", or that they instead are ignorant of what the "stats" on the character sheet mean.
Get over it guys, new players are especially unlikely to both decide on PC actions based on role-playing instead of mechanical advantages, and to be able to spit out the information based on rules minutiae (the PC's don't know what a "saving throw" is). If you as the DM of the game can't be bothered to handle the modifiers either, than don't be surprised if the players don't, or that you get "rules lawyered".
Decide which you want, a game that's more "roleplaying", or more like a traditional rules heavy wargame, and stress that, and truthfully tell the players which you emphasis. If you want both heavy "roleplaying", and deep rules knowledge, you'll likely get neither (and for brand new players don't expect the players to have expert rules knowledge and do "in-character" based actions ever).
If you do ever get a player who both roleplays and knows the rules well, then please take them under your wing, and mentor them into being a DM.
Thanks.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-17, 03:32 PM
I find myself generally agreeing with 2d8HP. Whenever I introduce new players to the game, I typically inform them that DnD is first and foremost a game where you kill things and take their stuff, full stop. Maybe I have this attitude since I started off with the Red Box for AD&D (i think) during the nineties, where I was at first using pre-gen characters.

Then I briefly explain to them the general party roles (front-line, skill-monkey, support), what functionality they serve, the difficulty involved with each role, and ask which of those appeals most to them. This is so that they understand the core strategy that revolves around adventuring as part of a team.

From there we can start getting into the basics of character building. It's important to make sure you assist with new players in building their first characters. Not only so they don't pick terrible and ineffective options (and thus have less fun by feeling gimped), but also so that they learn the basics of the rule set you are using. Once they have a character then the adventure can start.

The above should be fine for a simple adventure. As an example, recently I ran a game for a party of mostly newbies. One session was devoted to character generation, and the adventure was simply them investigating the disappearance of the local lord's son. No backstory or deep character involvement was required and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Now where I disagree with 2d8HP is where he claims DnD is not a role-plaything game. Because even if you put no thought into a backstory, or character personality, and simply make wise-cracks the whole time, you ARE indeed role-playing a wise-cracking character. If you say nothing at all then you are role-playing the silent type. Think of all of the adventure stories in which we know very little or even nothing about the main character's backstory. They are still characters with motivations and personalities. The same is true for any TTRPG characters.

Adding depth to a character once a player is familiar enough with the mechanics of the game is a solid way to enhance the experience of playing a table-top war game for many people. And I would argue that it becomes more important in a game where the scope of the whole adventure is on a grand scale (ala Lord of the Rings, etc), i.e, a campaign, where the game is no longer about simple dungeon crawlers, or "rescue this princess". Now, I would never expect new players, (or even veterans) to expertly act in-character. Hell as a GM I don't even do that for all my NPC's.

However, as for DMing for brand new players, keeping things as simple as possible is far more effective at getting them engaged with the game and hobby as a whole, rather than overloading them at the beginning.