PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #349 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-09-18, 11:48 PM
New comic is up.

TroyXavier
2006-09-18, 11:48 PM
Very cool and Sabine is quickly becoming my favorite villain.

(and first page, yay)

SacredStorm
2006-09-18, 11:51 PM
Finally we get to see the new sword trick! I've been waiting awhile to see what it looks like! Hurray!

TinSoldier
Moving along (waits for next update...)

lplimac
I guess they would only get 9 then..... ;)

Yrogerg
2006-09-18, 11:52 PM
First page!!!!

Also, what was with that green glowy thing? Cool.

Hyrael
2006-09-18, 11:53 PM
Cool greeny glow effect

hmmm. I always thought that sabrine and nale had a rather false relationship, but Sabrine seems to really have a vested interest in Nale. Neat.

Good banter jokes. I didnt LOL, but i chuckled quite a bit.

StickMan
2006-09-18, 11:55 PM
Yes first page. That was great. And that was creapy. I want to know what the green glow is I thought it did that around undead only.

SumGuy
2006-09-18, 11:55 PM
heh. 38 strips.

aggrivation must be the sword's trigger, good thing Roy hangs out with Belkar and Elan all the time.

ps - 1st page?

fall_ark
2006-09-18, 11:56 PM
This one's really sweet!
Sabine's quite lovely, and not to mention the roar about strips wasted...
Keep up the good job, Giant! ;D

Abd al-Azrad
2006-09-18, 11:57 PM
Nice. I enjoy fights with actual banter. Too few of those in my games, too much is just, "Die, evil fiend!" and the like.

First page!

TinSoldier
2006-09-18, 11:58 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so negative. This will work very nicely in the next book as a strip that connects things together.

I'll just wait for the next strip...

chionophile
2006-09-18, 11:59 PM
Good stuff. Thanks Giant.

The Extinguisher
I wouldn't let Haley know about that. Becuase it was essitinally getting all the gold from the Dragons nest that brought on the gold being exploded and Haley losing her voice. Plus the fact that would have met Miko past the inn, and Haley would have all her Durkon's Dungeon treasure also.

...Sabines gonna get it methinks.

Funny stuff though

Platinum_Mongoose
The "I don't know, but it sure was cool" thing reminds me of that old cartoon Gargoyles. Anyone see that?

There was a scene where a woman who didn't know she was a Princess of Avalon blasted her mother (also unknown to her) with her innate magic, and her mother asked "How did you do that?" To which she replied "I don't know... but I'm trying to do it again."

...it was a lot cooler on screen. My rendition here doesn't do it justice whatsoever.

mec
Wow, that was some excellent fight-banter.

Plus I read the penultimate frame as a Nethack reference. I don't know if Rich meant to refer to Nethack, but altars and sacrifices are cool.

Lilly
2006-09-19, 12:00 AM
Sabine reminds me of Aubrey from S*P in that last panel.

It's just so funny.... and I think they'd get 12.

gooddragon1
2006-09-19, 12:03 AM
a healthy relationship and the things ppl will do to maintain it lolz ;D
2nd page woot!

Dawnstrider_Moogle
Aw. I kinda hope Nale and Sabine at the least live through this.

Also: Sabine doesn't seem to be getting any hits in =/

But man, she is SO cuuuute in that last panel! Totemo kawaii desu yooooo!

that's a habit i need to drop.

Rygar
Great comic! Schoolgirl humour is teh awesome

EDIT: Oh woot for regular updates again.

EloquentRune
2006-09-19, 12:04 AM
Sabine is an excelent villianess

and that sword is wicked awsome!!

Arian
I think they'd get 12.

What about Celia? Or are you saying you think Nothing Happened there? As I recall, the Giant confirmed that Something did.

wampus
So, not sure if its been asked yet or not, but who is thinking Roy would be 9 months and who think 12 months?

rcuhljr
2006-09-19, 12:05 AM
I'm all for healthy relationships.

Minimiscience
2006-09-19, 12:05 AM
38 strips? Really? It seemed like a lot more.

Arian
2006-09-19, 12:09 AM
So, not sure if its been asked yet or not, but who is thinking Roy would be 9 months and who think 12 months?

I'm willing to accept (for anyone who prefers it that way) that Celia was Roy's only hmm, liaison, and likewise if anyone thinks he obviously would have had relationships before, I can go with that too.

But I don't think it's possible to assume Nothing happened with him and Celia when (as I said above) I remember the Giant saying otherwise.

c_olsen73
2006-09-19, 12:10 AM
personnaly, I would vote for Roy having hte 9 month heart. I've been studying the Romance novel in my college wrriting class, and the heroes are always supposed to have "previous sexual experience".

Aysel
2006-09-19, 12:12 AM
Evil happiness... mmm.

The true motivation of villians revealed! It just makes so much more sense now.

Tmabbbb
2006-09-19, 12:15 AM
That was so hilarious!!!! "We wasted 38 strips on that side quest" was priceless!!!! That was worth the wait.

Edit: WOOT!!! Second Page!

Bookman
2006-09-19, 12:16 AM
I'll bring up something that no one else has brought up the SWORD and it's effect :P

Clearly the effect is from breaking the 4th wall.........or being angry.

I vote the first one ;)

TinSoldier
2006-09-19, 12:17 AM
I think Sabine has a bun in the oven...

Half-Fiend spawn of Nale and Sabine!

Winged One
2006-09-19, 12:18 AM
That would be just like the Giant...

Awsome onna stick.

Tmabbbb
2006-09-19, 12:22 AM
38 strips? Really? It seemed like a lot more.

Yeah, strips 150-188.

Morchaint
2006-09-19, 12:29 AM
great as usual especially the green glow sword.

Fillbert
2006-09-19, 12:35 AM
Hooray for some action and cheesey banter!!!! Cool sword effects.

EloquentRune
2006-09-19, 12:36 AM
For some reason i have no problems with Sabine and Nale's relationship

whatever keeps them together

ref
2006-09-19, 12:38 AM
Ah, schoolgirl Sabine is cool... And now they realized their mistake on the starmetal thing... hehe.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-09-19, 12:39 AM
I'll bring up something that no one else has brought up the SWORD and it's effect :P

Clearly the effect is from breaking the 4th wall

Uh oh. Imagine if Deadpool got his hands on it...

Ink
2006-09-19, 12:47 AM
Oh well, I found this one a bit tedious, but they can't all be golden I guess. Just good for the continuity of the story. I like the way Sabine looks in the last panel. Neither Roy nor Sabine are really good at battle trash-talking are they?

Seik
2006-09-19, 12:49 AM
Yeah, strips 150-188.

Um... that's 39. :P

Krytha
2006-09-19, 12:52 AM
heehee 38 pages of sidequest (I didn't mind though... do it again!)

So if Roy gets mad, the sword gets glowy?

Lerch
2006-09-19, 12:59 AM
A couple of sessions of the Peter Parker school of banter never hurt anyone. I can say that now that everyone knows spiderman is Peter Parker how ghey is that?

sorry geeking out...

now on to your regularly scheduled "banter" ;D

Aiani
2006-09-19, 01:10 AM
I really enjoyed the battle banter in this one and Roy being so upset about the wasted time on the Starmetal. Of course he did get a cool sword out of it so at least it wasn't as much of a waste as it could have been.

aryeh88
2006-09-19, 01:18 AM
I want to know what the green glow is I thought it did that around undead only.

In comic #297 the blacksmith says the energy is "particularly harmful" to the undead. It sounds like it still works on other creatures, just not as good as it does against the undead.

Pvednes
2006-09-19, 01:39 AM
Actually, that all sounded quite reasonable, really.

mmm_grape_juice
2006-09-19, 01:40 AM
Uh oh. Imagine if Deadpool got his hands on it...

DUN DUN DUN. That would be the end of... well, everybody.

Loved the banter, and the fact that there really is some kind of love between Nale and Sabine. That's going to be interesting.

Drascin
2006-09-19, 01:41 AM
Nale eats desecrated hearts?!

But, but they're so icky in the mouth, and drip blood all over your favorite cultist suit everytime you bite them, and besides, it isn't even required now!

...not that I know anything about this... no really... moving along...

CockroachTeaParty
2006-09-19, 02:02 AM
Sweet! Roy's sword activates when he gets really angry! Elan doesn't stand a chance!

Excellent strip. The first strip I've genuinley enjoyed for a while now. Ya know, in the end Roy's just the best. No question about it.

Faramir
2006-09-19, 02:03 AM
Nice strip, the funniest part this time IMO was the title.

Hmm, I don't suppose there might be an undead in the next room or something that's causing the sword to flare?

5tephen
2006-09-19, 02:06 AM
Very nice timelapse joke: 'can we drop the extended "meal" metaphor?'

Like they have been batering for ages....

And I LOVE the glow.

Vaarsuvius_Prime
2006-09-19, 02:14 AM
What's 9 and 12 month heart thing?

Adeptus
2006-09-19, 02:18 AM
Brilliant!

On the downside, I'm having trouble figuring out if Roy is connecting with his swings at all. D&D is so strange. Unarmoured, human-form fiend is being wacked with a greatsword, and nothing much is happening except it losing some hitpoints. :/

Give me Hârnmaster any day.

Solmage
2006-09-19, 02:29 AM
Not much to say beyond the fact that it was pretty funny. I chuckled at the we wasted 38 strips on that, since I recalled how pissed off Roy was at the sidequest :)

theKOT
2006-09-19, 02:39 AM
Blech. Boring. 4/10. Really, what point did most of this have?

The Glitter Ninja
2006-09-19, 02:50 AM
I sense anger from Roy about the 38 strips "wasted"... hehe.

VariaVespasa
2006-09-19, 03:21 AM
Ahh, Richards famous Brown Period! :P Sorry, its sort of a Vanguard joke. :)

*Hugs*
Varia

Alfryd
2006-09-19, 03:22 AM
New comic is up.
Better.

I always thought that sabrine and nale had a rather false relationship, but Sabrine seems to really have a vested interest in Nale.
There's a toaster in your head
And she wears high heels
Woe upon your cylon heart!

SPoD
2006-09-19, 03:30 AM
Blech. Boring. 4/10. Really, what point did most of this have?

1.) It gave us a first look at Roy's energy thingamabob, which will certainly matter later. It hints that the energy is activated by Roy getting angry, too.
2.) It established that Roy now knows the LG set him up on the sidequest. Again, this will certainly come up later.
3.) It develops the character of Sabine, showing that she actually puts effort into pleasing Nale and cares about their relationship, despite being an evil soul-eating fiend. Food for thought, and perhaps important for what is to come.
4.) It was funny. Or at least some people found it so, myself included. Humor is its own justification in a comedy, which OOTS is.

So, if you found it boring, then hey, agree to disagree or whatever, but it DID have a point. Several, in fact.

Albion
2006-09-19, 04:06 AM
;D Hohoho! HILARIOUS! Just laugh after laugh here, one of my favourites I say. *looks up* Wow, I seem to have an unsual yet refined taste then ;) 38 STRIPS!!! I'm serious, this one is killing me somehow. :D

"Die, mortal!" GhahhHAAHARH!!
Also great to see interaction between Roy and Sabine, hasn't been much(any?) of that before.

Felinoid
2006-09-19, 05:00 AM
Very good battle banter somewhat broken by the stop-and-talk. In the top panels I probably could have imagined them circling each other, but the lie is given to that by the bottom row where he drops his guard, lowering his sword. That they would just stop for tea and a little chat in the middle of a life and death struggle - Roy for his sister as well as himself - just breaks the flow for me.

Another thing that broke the flow was having to readjust the version of events. Partially my fault, because it looked to me like the glowing swing missed, but Sabine acts like she was hit. Though that does bring up an interesting possibility of the glow being a small-area-effect kind of thing, so that even a near miss results in damage from the magic.

Overall pretty good though.

Freelance Henchman
2006-09-19, 05:11 AM
Go Roy!

A man and a fiend enter, one man leaves
:)

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-19, 05:28 AM
This comic was most interesting ;D

I never thought that she was so interested in Nale like this, but hey!

Love is a Beautiful thing! (Even if you have to eat someone's heart ;D)

On a sidenote: Loved the 9th and 12th panels....she just looks adorable!

Snake-Aes
2006-09-19, 05:31 AM
"Twelve if you're a virgin"
"We took 38 strips on that sidequest!"(They not only move, but count at the speed of plot, eh?)

So lovely

Winter_Wolf
2006-09-19, 05:33 AM
I thought it was very good. The stop and talk I thought was fairly realistic. I mean, have you tried having a normal conversation when you were running around and swinging a sword (or flying, for that matter)? I know a lot of people that seem incapable of even *walking* while they talk.

And clearly Sabine and Nale are organ connoisseurs of highest caliber. "Everyone" knows the heart is the *best* part to eat! Mmmm, heart.... Think it's time to go make dinner.

Freelance Henchman
2006-09-19, 05:34 AM
BTW, "Wooden Forest" lol! That's a great, generic fantasy type name. Completely missed that back then.

And: "Heart. It's what's for dinner".
"Heart. The other red meat".

Allandaros
2006-09-19, 05:46 AM
Swing a little at each other, chat for 30 seconds, swing a bit more...

BEST FIGHT SCENE EVER! Yayfor!

bosssmiley
2006-09-19, 06:39 AM
Bulldozing the fourth wall, a Starblade(?) and the dark secrets of life with a Succubus in a schoolgirl costume. :P

Giant ftw!

Noneoyabizzness
2006-09-19, 06:49 AM
"...12 if you're a virgin"

Blood
2006-09-19, 07:23 AM
I'm interested in that effect Roy's sword had. The Giant is full of mysteries...

...and dirty humor. ;)

Snake-Aes
2006-09-19, 07:42 AM
On a sidenote: Loved the 9th and 12th panels....she just looks adorable!
Doesn't she? Lovely.

Felinoid
2006-09-19, 08:02 AM
I mean, have you tried having a normal conversation when you were running around and swinging a sword (or flying, for that matter)?

Yes, actually (well, except the flying part :P ). Very hard, but not impossible. And there's also the mention I made fo those times when you're simply circling your enemy. But at no time during a battle would a properly trained warrior ever drop his guard, and even if he did, assuming a revelation so shocking it freezes the brain for a moment, the opponent would surely have taken advantage of it. But there's two frames of dropped guard while they talk and Sabine doesn't make a move.

Heloisa
2006-09-19, 08:04 AM
Ok... this one was... disturbing! :P

And thanks Celia for taking out 3 months of happiness from them! LOL

I guess it's a good thing now to keep Elan annoying Roy all the time uh? Nice green glow! :D

I'm sorry if I don't make any sense and for typos.. I just woke up...

Hooray! I'm no longer a Pixie!

Blaznak
2006-09-19, 08:05 AM
I like that the villains apparently have lives, goals, etc. completely divorced from the main plot. It gives them real depth!
Nifty!

Haarculaneaum
2006-09-19, 08:07 AM
GYARRR!
It be 12 months of lovin that the scurrrvy Nale and his demon witch of a woman be gettin from the heart of the Dark Roy.

-Haaaaaar

fithi
2006-09-19, 08:21 AM
Arrr!

It was good to see the sword effect, and Roy's reaction to finding out about the "side-quest". Don't know why he's complaining though, he got a very sweet weapon upgrade out of it.

I'm betting 9 months....

kriebly
2006-09-19, 09:10 AM
Arrr!

I'm betting 9 months....
Ain't ye bein a bit presumptuous? Perhaps they be spending the evenin' holdin hands, discussin' politics, knittin an afghan....

Otterella
2006-09-19, 09:10 AM
I guess it's a good thing that talking is a free action.

sakusha
2006-09-19, 09:14 AM
All I know is that I snickered ... a lot. :D So yeah I think that was pretty darn funny. I'm also going to bet on 9 months.

Sacrifices to be made. Lol.

Edit: ARG! I'M A **RAT**?? :'(

Snake-Aes
2006-09-19, 09:30 AM
I go for 9 months... comic or not, roy has a charisma 14+, and a nice bonus with Celia that i'm sure worked quite well

You guys saw him discussing with her that Tradition determines that the guy who saves the worlds gets the girl... and he's lawful.

Drell
2006-09-19, 09:37 AM
hi...i new...about the new comic the resource of yokyok was fun, you now the princes and the pirate...classic :D, and the last was a little spice, this going to be a fun figth

Varian7
2006-09-19, 09:42 AM
I agree with Roy, the sword effect "sure was cool!"

Hyrael
2006-09-19, 10:09 AM
1.) It gave us a first look at Roy's energy thingamabob, which will certainly matter later. It hints that the energy is activated by Roy getting angry, too.
2.) It established that Roy now knows the LG set him up on the sidequest. Again, this will certainly come up later.
3.) It develops the character of Sabine, showing that she actually puts effort into pleasing Nale and cares about their relationship, despite being an evil soul-eating fiend. Food for thought, and perhaps important for what is to come.
4.) It was funny. Or at least some people found it so, myself included. Humor is its own justification in a comedy, which OOTS is.

So, if you found it boring, then hey, agree to disagree or whatever, but it DID have a point. Several, in fact.

I agree. This one wasnt "woootLoLzRoyistehHaxxor!111!" but it was entertaining. I particularly liked #3. what can i say, I love Villain Development. Somehow, normal-ish, fleshed oout People are more interesting to fight against than faceless dark lords.

Finwe
2006-09-19, 10:16 AM
personnaly, I would vote for Roy having hte 9 month heart. I've been studying the Romance novel in my college wrriting class, and the heroes are always supposed to have "previous sexual experience".

Not the hero in a coming of age story, which one could interpret this comic to be. Although I do agree, Roy probably isn't a virgin.

Crusher
2006-09-19, 11:39 AM
Oh, right. Its talk like a pirate day.

Arrrr, mateys!

Since Roy's sword now hurts Sabine, I'm guessing the starmetal made it good-aligned and possibly some sort of undead-bane. While the sword flared and Sabine seemed hurt, it could have simply been a critical hit by Roy that bypassed her DR, rather than any extra effect from the green glow.

Roy didn't seem hurt by the green glow, apparently scuttling the idea that the glow being "ESPECIALLY harmful to undead" doesn't mean that it hurts everyone else as well (including the wielder) just not as much.

Aysel
2006-09-19, 12:14 PM
Since Roy's sword now hurts Sabine, I'm guessing the starmetal made it good-aligned and possibly some sort of undead-bane. While the sword flared and Sabine seemed hurt, it could have simply been a critical hit by Roy that bypassed her DR, rather than any extra effect from the green glow.

Possible. Also I seem to recall that the sword became +5 when it was reforged. Ah... yes it did: Sword Strip (http://giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) That may have made it powerful enough to hurt her any way. Elsewise, the starmetal itself could be what's causing the damage much like Haley's silver or steel tipped arrows did.

bexie
Ok, best bits were:

"WE WASTED 38 STRIPS ON THAT SIDEQUEST!!!"

LMAO!

And:

"We should get like 9 months of evil happiness by eating your heart. 12, if you're a virgin."

!!!!!!!

Where do you come up with this stuff? Jeez. ;D

Logos7
I find it so amusing that everyone think the duration that sabine and nale gained would gain from eating roy's heart is dependant upon roy's part of his relationship with Cecilia

Cecelia is a Fey, A Fairy Even. I think it has a whole lot more to do with with her Drives (Which for Fey are sterotypically, Volumious and Voluptious).

I don't Think Roy had a Choice, Lest he Spawn the Evil , Dead Man Hating Fey of Lesbos Inspired Fury

Logos

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-09-19, 01:15 PM
Not the hero in a coming of age story, which one could interpret this comic to be. Although I do agree, Roy probably isn't a virgin.

See, that's the neat thing about a complex plot. We have Roy and Celia's lusty romance, we have Elan and Haley's sweet yet tragic relationship, and then we...

Well, I don't know about Belkar, V, and Durkon. Maybe they're a farce?

Oh, right. Arrr...

Ronald_saveloy
2006-09-19, 01:53 PM
Possible. Also I seem to recall that the sword became +5 when it was reforged. Ah... yes it did: Sword Strip (http://giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) That may have made it powerful enough to hurt her any way. Elsewise, the starmetal itself could be what's causing the damage much like Haley's silver or steel tipped arrows did.

I have another theory abouth the special effect of the sword.

The special effect is activated, if the bearer of the sword gets really, really angry!

or in other words:

Give in to anger, Roy, and your journey to the Caotic/Evil side will be complete!

Ironfist Orc
2006-09-19, 02:02 PM
Yaargh me mateys, we don be needin' this fourth wall now, do we?

And shiver me timbers if the beginning of the strip was not its funniest bit.

(I can imagine a very extended sequence of meal/food related banter.)

Though, to tie in the beginning to the end, it looks like Sabine (and Nale) don't intend the food metaphor to be, well, a metaphor.

battleburn
2006-09-19, 02:30 PM
Why is everyone speaking pirate today?

Oh never mind.
Go Google... ;D

fangthane
2006-09-19, 02:34 PM
The food metaphor stuff doesn't really need to go much farther back than the prior comic featuring Roy and Sabine, wherein she alluded to his life-force being tasty (and with a hint of sage), and where he proposed a meteoric iron (well, starmetal) dessert.

I sort of hope Sabine dies so as to provide Nale with additional motivation against the OotS beyond his fraternal issues, but I won't be particularly upset if she doesn't; she's definitely an interesting person. I'm just not sure if she'd be so interesting long-term.

ShiftShaper
2006-09-19, 02:52 PM
Good comic it was.

And what a healthy relationship they have. Thats the way everyone should be toghether :P

saraswati
2006-09-19, 03:38 PM
Arr, Mateys!

I be fair mystified why the sword be havin' two effects! We know it be might pow'rful 'gainst the undead wit' a curse! But glowy greeness? What new devilry be this?

Snake-Aes
2006-09-19, 03:50 PM
Part of the same pack

"A green aura that is particularly harmful to undead."

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-19, 03:55 PM
That was awesome. Loved it.

theKOT
2006-09-19, 04:10 PM

1) I said most of this. This was really the only important thing. To me anyway.
2) I'd like to hear how. This felt like just getting it out of the way.
3) Food for thought? Again, I'd like to know how. I understand the importance of developing characters, I just don't understand the particular importance of developing this particular aspect of this particular character. Then again, I suppose if certain spoilers happen, I can see how. Still, it didn't interest me.
4) Yeah, not so much to me.

I dunno. It felt like 11 panels of filler around one important piece that could have easily been put in a different strip. Altough I must say if certain spoilers I have in mind happen, this could have been rather important. Eh, still gets a 4/10. I just wasn't interested.

Snake-Aes
2006-09-19, 04:14 PM
I dunno. It felt like 11 panels of filler around one important piece that could have easily been put in a different strip.
the whole Dungeon Crawl was pretty much like this, as a nice lot of the comic since then. Plot isn't always the focus of the strip.

theKOT
2006-09-19, 04:19 PM
the whole Dungeon Crawl was pretty much like this, as a nice lot of the comic since then. Plot isn't always the focus of the strip.
....No...of course not. My point was that I didn't enjoy those 11 other panels. This wasn't funny(to me), and its plot movement was minimal, leaving us with what was, in my opinion, a bad comic.

Kinneus
2006-09-19, 04:25 PM
Good comic. I'm really impressed by the rate at which you've been churning these out, lately.

Snake-Aes
2006-09-19, 04:25 PM
Oh well, can't win every round, right? Personally I liked it.

gregory_carslaw
2006-09-19, 04:53 PM
Awesome :) I like the pose in panel 9. I want a tail that I can point with :P

An every healthy relationship needs a good dose of devience. 5 GPs says Nale did the ropework on Julia.

Shea Landford
2006-09-19, 05:21 PM
Aarrr.... That be a good comic there. They be a fighting with magic weapons the is. But where be their chumbucket?? AAAArrrrrr.....

Tussy the Druid
2006-09-19, 05:37 PM
Argh matey. it be shwany when th' laddy swung 'is sword and it shown like an evening green star. Yar.

KeiranHalcyon
2006-09-19, 06:06 PM
Hmm, I don't suppose there might be an undead in the next room or something that's causing the sword to flare?
The green glow is merely more harmful to undead, not triggered by the presence of undead. Savvy?

MrNexx
2006-09-19, 06:17 PM
See, that's the neat thing about a complex plot. We have Roy and Celia's lusty romance, we have Elan and Haley's sweet yet tragic relationship, and then we...

Well, I don't know about Belkar, V, and Durkon. Maybe they're a farce?

Oh, right. Arrr...

Well, Durkon has his lost love in the background... the girl who happened to be married and not care about duty.

V is apparently married and unconcerned with gender.

Belkar is a stalker. He needs to see a therapist. (pun intended)

skreweded
2006-09-19, 06:20 PM
It's been quoted before, and I will just seem like a noob quoting again. But here it goes!!
WE WASTED 38 STRIPS ON THAT SIDEQUEST!!!

Kish
2006-09-19, 06:24 PM
Belkar is a stalker. He needs to see a therapist. (pun intended)
Pun? *doesn't get it*

Ghull_Ka
2006-09-19, 06:39 PM
Yarrr, methinks the sword be activated ta become all green an' glowy when yonder fourth wall be broken.

Shiver me timbers, that's good stuff! Yo ho ho!

Fhaolan
2006-09-19, 07:10 PM
Pun? *doesn't get it*

Stalker. Nickname for Aragorn from LotR, which was one of the main literary references used as a model for the Ranger class. Belkar is a ranger. It's a bit of a stretch... :)

Kish
2006-09-19, 07:12 PM
Stalker. Nickname for Aragorn from LotR, which was one of the main literary references used as a model for the Ranger class. Belkar is a ranger. It's a bit of a stretch... :)
Especially since Aragorn's nickname was "Strider."

Tach13
2006-09-19, 07:17 PM
As a Tolkien Fan, I'm embarrassed I missed that when I read the comment. To save Faohlan a small bit (not that this bit is worth a copper piece), Stalker was the code name of the 1982 GI Joe team's Ranger. Far greater stretch, but it's almost something.

As for the comic, it's a good comic from a great strip. I'm amazed how the Giant keeps coming up with things like this.

Quixoto
2006-09-19, 07:49 PM
Y'know, there are times when I really dislike Roy.
"Oooh, I wasted 38 strips, Whaaaaa!" You got a +5 sword with green glowy power, get over it!

Good strip today though.

Oh yeah, and um... arrr

Jades
2006-09-19, 07:51 PM
Arrr, as a pirate of the woods me knows that to stalk yer prey is a might related to the act of tracking it, but closer.

And Nale doing the rope work on Julia? Nah... Sabine's the one who wears the pants in their relationship. Except when she's in a schoolgirl outfit, I mean...

toastifer
2006-09-19, 09:40 PM
After all that, I'd hate to see Sabine killed off.

She sure does look hot in that outfit. Er, for a stick figure I mean. Yeah, that's it.

Solara
2006-09-19, 09:57 PM
I was suprised to see all the negativity in the comments for this one...I loved it! :D

Sabine has got to be my favorite member of the Linear Guild.... well, okay, Thog is still #1 for laughs, but Sabine's my favorite actually evil member of the LG. Most of the other villains (including Nale) come across as more funny than intimidating, so I love the fact that she's highly competent too.

Anyway, it's been awhile since Sabine's been in the spotlight, and like a previous poster said, I think this marks the first time she's shared it with Roy.

Lots of 4th wall breaking in this one, and while I'm not always a huge fan when it's done excessively, it worked pretty well here. :) In particular I LOLed at the 'can we drop the extended meal metaphor?' line. I shout similar things at the TV surprisingly often whenever the characters are in a fight and going on and on with the weak puns.

Er...not that I watch cartoons anymore... *cough*

EDIT: Um, shiver me timbers, and all that. Arr.

The Demented One
2006-09-19, 10:58 PM
Pun? *doesn't get it*
I'm pretty sure it's a therapist/the rapist pun.

Tobimaro
2006-09-20, 12:31 AM
Yarrr, methinks the sword be activated ta become all green an' glowy when yonder fourth wall be broken.

Well, methinks that Roy was sold a bill of goods by that smith. According to the Complete Arcane, starmetal weapons deal extra damage to extraplanar creatures on the Material Plane. Oh well, it's still a bit better than what he had before. ;)

But I do wonder who the opposites are. If Thog were Roy's opposite, then he would be having the affair with Sabine, not Nale. One thing to ponder. ::)

TinSoldier
2006-09-20, 12:41 AM
Well, methinks that Roy was sold a bill of goods by that smith. According to the Complete Arcane, starmetal weapons deal extra damage to extraplanar creatures on the Material Plane. Oh well, it's still a bit better than what he had before. ;)Wha? Sabine is an extra-planar creature. Or at least fiendish template (which I don't know if that would apply or not).

But I do wonder who the opposites are. If Thog were Roy's opposite, then he would be having the affair with Sabine, not Nale. One thing to ponder. ::)Why do you say that?

Sabine-Nale --> Requited love on the same team.
Haley-Elan --> Un-requited love on the same team.

What do Roy and Thog have anything to do with it ???

Logieness
2006-09-20, 12:51 AM
Sabine is so hawt right now.

O.O

Heh...great strip! :D

LordOfNarf
2006-09-20, 12:55 AM
Funny Comic, I liked how the starmetal came back to bite the LG. Also ALERT! BreAch of the 4th wall captian!

KeiranHalcyon
2006-09-20, 02:11 AM
Sabine-Nale --> Requited love on the same team.
Haley-Elan --> Un-requited love on the same team.

What do Roy and Thog have anything to do with it ???
Hmm, that brings up a good question: [spoiler?]Does Celia have an evil opposite, a secret admirer of Thog? Such a person would not actually be part of the LG, and this would of course be unrequited love (due to Thog's well-known aversion to pretty girls), which fits quite well as an opposite to Roy & Celia's relationship.

Meh, I doubt it.

battleburn
2006-09-20, 04:04 AM
Hmm, that brings up a good question: ...

Meh, I doubt it.
You are scaring me

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-09-20, 10:01 AM
I always thought that sabrine and nale had a rather false relationship, but Sabrine seems to really have a vested interest in Nale.

I think she's smitten, but Nale doesn't really care about her. It's rather like The Joker and Harley Quinn. Those with antisocial personality disorder are incapable of true deep feelings of love for another, and Nale strikes me as a cold, narcissistic sociopath.

Kanashimi
2006-09-20, 10:06 AM
wow, umm, the question is will they get the "extra" from Roy's. . . Status? I guess we probably won't know because I can't see the Giant killing him off. Very funny comic!

Hototo
2006-09-20, 01:17 PM
Hmm... awkward school girl. And yeah, I don't think that altar will be used for Roy anytime soon... perhaps one of the other OOTS? I sure hope not. In fact I kinda just want it to be some random thing broughtne in for a joke.

Deuce
2006-09-20, 01:29 PM
... perhaps one of the other OOTS? I sure hope not. In fact I kinda just want it to be some random thing broughtne in for a joke.

It'd prolly spit Belkar's heart out. Now Elan, there's some nice tasty innocence for you . . .

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-09-20, 02:01 PM
No, I'd burn Belkers heart of the altar of Kurtulmak. Sort of a personal cleansing thing.

Cheiromancer
2006-09-20, 02:33 PM
I thought it was funny that a fiend would say "darn."

Just seems a little mild, is all.

Manticorkscrew
2006-09-20, 03:04 PM
The thing is that I don't want to see any of the OOTS die, but I also like the members of the Linear Guild so I don't want to see them die either (Except for Yokyok, maybe. He hasn't had time to grow a personality.)

Oh yeah, I'm a long-time lurker who just decided to post something.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nale exact a horrible revenge on his stupid twin! :)

okpokalypse
2006-09-20, 03:21 PM
Just a StarMetal FYI:

Starmetal is extraordinarily hard, equal to adamantine for all purposes, including overcoming damage reduction or granting damage reduction when used in armor construction.

Starmetal also possesses and inherent magical connection the Material Plane, meaning that weapons made of the alloy are especially effective against creatures from other planes, dealing an extra 1d6 points of damage to any extraplanar creatures while they are on the Material Plane.

That green-glow is probably the extra 1d6 Damage done to an extraplanar creature - which could also affect undead being Negative Energy creatures. :)

darrell
2006-09-20, 04:48 PM
Am I alone in noticing that Roy's sword glows green when he is angry?

(Think gamma rays...)

Finwe
2006-09-20, 05:38 PM
ROY THOG SMASH!

jelmore
2006-09-20, 05:41 PM
Just a StarMetal FYI:

Starmetal is extraordinarily hard, equal to adamantine for all purposes, including overcoming damage reduction or granting damage reduction when used in armor construction.

Starmetal also possesses and inherent magical connection the Material Plane, meaning that weapons made of the alloy are especially effective against creatures from other planes, dealing an extra 1d6 points of damage to any extraplanar creatures while they are on the Material Plane.

That green-glow is probably the extra 1d6 Damage done to an extraplanar creature - which could also affect undead being Negative Energy creatures. :)

There's no reason to assume that the starmetal from Complete Arcane is the same as starmetal in the world of OOTS: Rich seems to want to stay away from tying OOTS to any published game world, except for satirical references, e.g. "It could be worse, we could have magical trains".

With that said, that's pretty cool, and a good find. I forgot all about starmetal in Complete Arcane.

Personally, I thought that starmetal either triggered on a successful critical hit, or (as is seen in some sourcebooks) could be triggered by shifting points from attack bonus to damage via Power Attack. (Which would fit with the "it works when Roy gets angry" theory.)

Maybe a combination of both...?

gregory_carslaw
2006-09-20, 08:08 PM
And Nale doing the rope work on Julia? Nah... Sabine's the one who wears the pants in their relationship. Except when she's in a schoolgirl outfit, I mean...

I thought about that a little, but I reckon that Nale definately tops. I'm not sure his planetsized ego would allow him to do it any other way. Plus Sabine seems to go to much greater lengths to please him rather than the other way around, an' generally while it is a tops job to make sure his/her sub enjoys themself admitting it in their presence kinda spoils the illusion. Plus Nale calls Sabine "his woman" (OOTS 254) I was sure I had some support from 142, but it seems my memory was flawed and it could be interepreted many ways.

I've thought about this too much haven't I?

Invisigoth
2006-09-20, 08:41 PM
As to that whole 9 month/12 month thing...I'm going with zero months. Roy is not going to end up as a corpse on a desecrated alter.

As to the starmetal, thanks to the poster who found the official reference. I was going with the assumption that it was hurting Sabine because it was from a meteor. I figured that Starmetal was some special form of mystical Iron and was hurting her because she was a demon. Okay, so she's taking an extra 1d6 on each hit, regardless of whether Roy penetrates her damage resistance...which he will (I figured out my best estimate of Roy's damage in one of my more geeky moments).

Now, the green glow: I'm guessing that it's an entirely different property that was enchanted into the sword when it was reforged. Even if that's wrong, it's something in addition to doing an extra d6. Maybe there's some special effect from a critical hit. That would help clarify the "occasionally" comment the smith mentioned.

Puck
2006-09-20, 09:40 PM
w00t! Great comic Rich!

kriebly
2006-09-21, 08:41 AM
Although I do agree, Roy probably isn't a virgin.
Oh come on! What's wrong with just a little kiss?? Must one leap straight for the midlands like a bull at a gate?

I just don't get kids these days. They go to town in the the amount of time it takes me to get up the nerve to give my love interest a firm arm-squeeze.

Malek
2006-09-21, 08:49 AM
There's no reason to assume that the starmetal from Complete Arcane is the same as starmetal in the world of OOTS: Rich seems to want to stay away from tying OOTS to any published game world, except for satirical references, e.g. "It could be worse, we could have magical trains".
Erm, say what? "Complete" series stuff isn't tied to any specific D&D world - so there is no reason for giant to avoid it.

KeiranHalcyon
2006-09-21, 10:33 AM
But neither is it in the SRD. Furthermore, the original debate about Sabine was wether she is an erinyes or a succubus (we seem to have settled on succubus), despite the fact that erinyes aren't vulnerable to silver! (Although most devils seem to be, so that could just he Haley's mistake.) So what I'm trying to say is that the Giant doesn't appear to be sticking to any of the printed material 100%.

Kish
2006-09-21, 06:10 PM
And has stated both that he doesn't, and that he wants the Order of the Stick to be comprehensible by people who don't know D&D. So he might wind up having starmetal do something different from what the smith said (though I doubt it), but the description of starmetal in a non-core D&D supplement is unlikely to factor into his decisions about what his starmetal does.

Alfryd
2006-09-22, 03:09 PM
Although I do agree, Roy probably isn't a virgin.
Well naturally, he and Celia played dominoes all night. I mean, what other logical explanation is there?

Oh come on! What's wrong with just a little kiss?? Must one leap straight for the midlands like a bull at a gate?
I don't understand the question.
Are you implying there might be non-sex-related objectives to a relationship?