PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Elemental Shaman Homebrew looking for critique.

Jmarsh56
2016-11-16, 10:32 PM
I played WoW long before I got into D&D so my shaman from WoW holds a special place in my heart and I wanted to try and replicate it somewhat in D&D. I don't know all the info in the word document but the spell casting and stuff is ripped from a cleric so spell attack and save DC is wisdom based and the spell slots and what not come from there also. Rip it apart for me, I don't want it to be stupidly OP, just flavorful and fun. A lot of the abilities I went out of my way to make sure weren't OP and I am not sure if I didn't go to far with them or not. Lots of small dice rolls every round for passive ticking damage and the occasional RNG extra attack similar to wild magic from sorcerers.

But like I said, rip it apart. Anyone who has played an elemental shaman in WoW hopefully will find it to be pretty true to the class I am basing it off of. I also have a potential spell list at the bottom in a link. Go to town on that too please, I am hoping to be able to play this in a game eventually I just wanted to have someone with a bit more experience than me look at it.

Shaman
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per shaman level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + Con Modifier
Hit points at higher levels: 1d8 (5)+ Con Modifer

Proficiencies
Armour: Medium armour and shields
Weapons: Simple Melee Weapons
Tools: Wood Carver's tools
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from History, Medicine, Nature, Athletics, Perception and Persuasion

Equipment
⦁ (a) a mace and shield or (b) 2 handaxes
⦁ (a) scale mail or (b) chain shirt
⦁ Totems & Woodcarver's tools
⦁ Explorers Pack

Shaman Level Totems Known Totems Active
1: Shamanistic Devotion 2 1
2: Devotion Ability 2 1
3: ------------ 3 1
4: Ability Score Improvement 3 1
5: Totemic Projection 3 2
6: Ankh & Elemental Resistance 3 2
7: Devotion Ability 3 2
8: Ability Score Improvement 3 2
9: Totemic Projection 4 2
10: Summon Elemental 4 2
11: Devotion Ability 4 3
12: Ability Score Improvement 4 3
13: Devotion Ability 4 3
14: -------------- 5 3
15 : Purge Magic 5 3
16: Ability Score Improvement 5 3
17: ---------------- 5 3
18: Devotion Ability 5 3
19: Ability Score Improvement 5 3
20: Devotion Capstone 5 3

Spellcasting[/CENTER]

I can't post links and I can't get the formattng right on the above chart. But the spells allotted for this class are the same as the Cleric slots.

Cantrips

At 1st level, you know three cantrips of your choice from the shaman spell list. You learn additional shaman cantrips of your choice at higher levels.

Shaman Cantrips: Guidance, Spare the Dying, Resistance, Druidcraft, Frost Shock*, Gust, Mending, Lightning Lasso*
*Ray of Frost, Thorn Whip*

Shaman Spell List
Still can't post spell list.... Soon!

Preparing and Casting Spells

The shaman table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

You prepare the list of shaman spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the shaman spell list. When you do so, choose a number of shaman spells equal to your Wisdom modifier + your shaman level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

For example, if you are a 3rd-level shaman, you have four 1st-level and two 2nd-level spell slots. With a Wisdom of 16, your list of prepared spells can include six spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination. If you prepare the 1st-level spell cure wounds, you can cast it using a 1st-level or 2nd-level slot. Casting the spell doesn’t remove it from your list of prepared spells.

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of shaman spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Spellcasting Ability
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your shaman spells. The power of your spells comes from your devotion to your ancestors and the elements. You use your Wisdom whenever a shaman spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a shaman spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Ritual Casting
You can cast a shaman spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Spellcasting Focus
You can use a totem as a spellcasting focus for your shaman spells.

Totems
Your expertise in woodcarving and knowledge of spirits has allowed you to create a handful of totems that you may place around the battlefield to either help your allies or hinder your enemies.
You may place a number of totems equal to your spellcasting modifier per long rest and the amount of totems you may place at any time increases as you level up, starting at 1 and increasing to 2 at 5th level and 3 at 11th level.

Totems may be placed anywhere within 25 feet of the shaman.

Searing Totem: You place a totem that targets your actively flame shocked target, lobbing globules of magma at it at the beginning of your turn.
This totem lasts for 2 minutes and deals 1d4 fire damage in increases by 1d4 at 5th, 11th and 17th level.

Lightning Surge Totem: You place a totem that charges for 1 full round of combat, after that round it explodes, any enemy in its area (30 foot sphere) must make a wisdom saving throw to avoid being stunned for 1 round.

Earthgrab Totem: You place a totem that instantaneously roots any enemies within a 20 foot radius centered on the totem, after expending 5 feet of movement to break the roots any enemy who continues to move through the radius is considered in rough terrain.
Dexterity save to avoid roots, on a succesful save targets still affected by difficult terrain.

Earthquake Totem: You place a totem that causes a brief but powerful tremor to course through the earth in a 25 foot radius centered on the totem, any creature in the radius must make a strength save to avoid being knocked prone.

Healing Stream Totem: Place a totem that heals any allies in a 30 foot radius centered on the totem for 1d4 + wisdom modifer on your turn for 5 turns. This totem becomes more powerful as your level up increasing to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level and id10 at 17th level.

Stoneskin Totem: Place a totem that gives any affected ally within 30 feet 2 points of resistance to slashing, bludgeoning and peircing damage for 2 minutes. This totem becomes more powerful increasing the restistance to 4 at 5th level, 6 at 11th level and 8 at 17th level.

Windrush Totem: you place a totem that increases allies movement speed by 10 feet while within the 40 foot radius centered on the totem. This totem lasts for 5 minutes.

Grounding Totem: You place a totem that redirects the next harmful spell cast at an affected target.

Shaman Abilities

5th Level
Totemic Projection: Whenever you use your action to place a totem you can project it to any unoccupied space you can see within 100 feet.

6th Level
Ankh
Your deep understanding of death and the spirit world gives you a chance on death to revive yourself. On a final failed death saving throw roll you return to life with half of your health (rounded down)
After you are revived in this manner you must wait at least 1 week before you can use this ability again.

Elemental Resistance: At the end of a long rest choose a damage type from fire, cold and lightning. You gain resistance to that damage type until you take a long rest.

10th Level
Summon elemental: You gain the ability to summon an elemental to you side to aid you in battle for 10 minutes. (Type of elemental depends on your devotion) This abily can only be used once per long rest.
Elemental - Air Elemental
Enhance - Fire Elemental
Restoration - Water Elemental

15th Level
Purge Magic: You gain the ability to use Counterspell without consuming a spell slot once per long rest.

Elemental

Level 1
Learn the Thunder Bolt cantrip.
Lightning Bolt: 1d8 Lightning/Thunder + widsom modifier damage on hit.
Spell increases in power by 1d8 at 5th, 11th and 17th level.

Learn Flame Shock to be used a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier per short rest.
Flame Shock: 1d4 additional fire damage on spell hit.
If target dies you can use a bonus action to transfer to a new target.
Concentration up to 1 hour.

Learn the Lava Burst spell and always have it prepared.
Lava Burst (First Level Spell): 3d8 Fire damage on hit
If attacking a target with Flame Shock on it attack with advantage.
Spell increase in power 1d8 per spell slot level above 1st level.

2nd Level
Lava Surge: When Flame Shock does max damage (4) you may use your reaction to cast Lava Surge.
Lava Surge: 2d4 Fire damage
Lava Surge increases in power by 1d4 at 5th, 11th and 17th level.

7th Level
Thunderstorm: When hit with a melee attack you call down the power of thunder to force enemies to make a dexterity saving throw, on a failed save knock enemies within 5 feet of you back 15 feet.
You may use this this ability a number of times equal to half you wisdom modifier (rounded down).

11th Level
Echo of the Elements: When you cast a fire, cold, earth or lightning spell of 5th level or lower you may choose to cast it again on your next turn without expending a spell slot. Once you have used this ability you cant use it again until you complete a long or short rest.

13th Level
Improved Chain Lightning: Anytime you deal lightning damage you may deal half damage to another target within 30 feet of the first. The second target must not have already been affected by the spell.

18th Level
Permanent Elemental: Your supremacy over the elemental planes allow you to have a permanent elemental at your side. If your elemental dies you can spend 1 hour communing with nature and recast the spell without consuming a spell slot.

20th Level
Ascendence
3 minute duration
Automatic critical hit on lava burst and chain lightning becomes lava beam increasing its damage to 10d12 (stll retains the improved chain lightning bonuses).
You may use this ability once per long rest.

Not enough posts to link the spell list, maybe soon.

Lalliman
2016-11-17, 05:20 AM
I'm at school and shouldn't even be browsing this, but one quick thing comes to mind: A class shouldn't have both Wis and Con as saving throws. In 5e, there are major saves (Dex, Con, Wis) and minor saves (Str, Int, Cha). Every class has one major and one minor. You could break from this, but it'd be a balance feature that's hard to account for.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-17, 05:59 AM
Could you maybe include a class table in there? I can't really follow what each of the features mean, when you get them, and what the class/subclass distinction is. Presentation is important! Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482608-Zaydos-Princess-Updated-for-5e) is an example of how a class should look.

The idea of scattering totems around the battlefield is interesting in theory, but it's hard to square with the 5e style and difficult to manage in a TotM game. It feels very '4e' to me. The '5e way' is to give the class spellcasting (which I believe you're doing anyway?) and tailor the spell list towards battlefield control. That way, it doubles (trebles?) as an exploration/interaction feature, since there will be some spells in there to cater to those pillars as well.

You really can't call your cantrip 'lightning bolt'. That's already a D&D spell, and an iconic one at that. Also 1d8 damage with no rider is underpowered for a cantrip (see Firebolt, Eldritch Blast).

The rest of the class looks very incomplete, so it's hard to assess.

Jmarsh56
2016-11-17, 06:58 AM
@Lalliman
I didn't realize that it was broken down like that but that's an easy fix, I initially had a big question mark beside constitution anyway so I will swap that with Int most likely.

@Ninja Prawn
The lightning bolt issue is another easy fix, it's now lightning ball until I come up with something else I like better. Also the damage I reduced to d8 instead of d10 because I felt like the damage output of the class as a whole might be too high. The spell is essentially a reflavored fire bolt.

The totems are something I wasn't sure how to work in because there are some spells that closely mimic if not directly mimic the WoW totems (I'm looking at you entangle).

I realize I need to go back and work on the presentation, which I will do at some point when I get home, but until then I am more than open to any suggestions or ideas that could improve what I have already.

khadgar567
2016-11-17, 07:18 AM
Kinda agreed with ninjaprawn wow classes hard to translate to D&D and this one smells to me like whole new class instead of cleric plug in and why fire totem attacks your lava shocked target instead of your current target

Jmarsh56
2016-11-17, 07:23 AM
Kinda agreed with ninjaprawn wow classes hard to translate to D&D and this one smells to me like whole new class instead of cleric plug in and why fire totem attacks your lava shocked target instead of your current target

Well I had planned on it being it's on class not an addon to cleric. I just used the cleric spell casting model. Fire totem targeting flame shock target over current target was my way of designating a priority target. You may cast a spell somewhere else, but whatever has flame shock on it is your main target. Raid boss if you will.

khadgar567
2016-11-17, 10:15 AM
Well I had planned on it being it's on class not an addon to cleric. I just used the cleric spell casting model. Fire totem targeting flame shock target over current target was my way of designating a priority target. You may cast a spell somewhere else, but whatever has flame shock on it is your main target. Raid boss if you will.
thanks for explaining and sorry for add on comment. When I see 3rd,5th ,8th like progression in post my mind went to cleric archetype trying to act like separate class with out properly.

edit: and with answer to my post you might be able to post links in the forum

Jmarsh56
2016-11-17, 10:53 AM
I think I need 10 posts to post a link if I remember what it said last night, I plan on going through and reworking everything a bit tonight and changing the format a bit so it's more clear. Everything made sense to me but I am the one who wrote it so...

Jmarsh56
2016-11-17, 09:54 PM
Spent a couple hours working on this today, gonna please look over this again and give me some rehashed feedback!! Thanks for the help guys.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-18, 05:08 AM
Okay, let's dig into this a bit. Apologies in advance if this gets harsh; building a class is hard and it's sure to take a few iterations.

Armour: Medium armour and shields

Why no light armour proficiency? That makes no sense at all.

Totems
Your expertise in woodcarving and knowledge of spirits has allowed you to create a handful of totems that you may place around the battlefield to either help your allies or hinder your enemies.
You may place a number of totems equal to your spellcasting modifier per long rest and the amount of totems you may place at any time increases as you level up, starting at 1 and increasing to 2 at 5th level and 3 at 11th level.

This had me confused for a while, because I didn't see the 'at any time' bit. Maybe split it into two sentences? Also, people are going to interpret this as an attempt to circumvent the concentration rules. It may be necessary to restrict the totems so that a creature is only affected by whichever totem it is closest to, should the areas overlap.

Totems may be placed anywhere within 25 feet of the shaman.

That doesn't feel right to me. Is the shaman literally throwing bits of wood around? I would make it within 5 feet (i.e. touching distance). If you're dead set on it being ranged, make it 30 feet. Also you need to specify that it costs an action to place.

Searing Totem: You place a totem that targets your actively flame shocked target, lobbing globules of magma at it at the beginning of your turn.
This totem lasts for 2 minutes and deals 1d4 fire damage in increases by 1d4 at 5th, 11th and 17th level.

What's the totem's attack bonus? What's the range?

You should introduce flame shock before you start hanging totems off it. I mean, the way it looks at the moment, flame shock is a subclass feature, which means some shamans can't use this totem at all. "Actively flame shocked" should be hyphenated or, better, rephrased completely.

As a general rule, combat features like this one should last for 1 minute. 2 minutes is very non-standard and I can't see a good reason for it.

Lightning Surge Totem: You place a totem that charges for 1 full round of combat, after that round it explodes, any enemy in its area (30 foot sphere) must make a wisdom saving throw to avoid being stunned for 1 round.

What's the save DC for totems?

An area-effect stun, even for one round, is probably overpowered at level 1.

Earthgrab Totem: You place a totem that instantaneously roots any enemies within a 20 foot radius centered on the totem, after expending 5 feet of movement to break the roots any enemy who continues to move through the radius is considered in rough terrain.
Dexterity save to avoid roots, on a succesful save targets still affected by difficult terrain.

This kind of thing is normally a Strength save. 'Successful' is double-c, double-s.

Earthquake Totem: You place a totem that causes a brief but powerful tremor to course through the earth in a 25 foot radius centered on the totem, any creature in the radius must make a strength save to avoid being knocked prone.

Is this instantaneous? That doesn't really fit the theme.

Healing Stream Totem: Place a totem that heals any allies in a 30 foot radius centered on the totem for 1d4 + wisdom modifer on your turn for 5 turns. This totem becomes more powerful as your level up increasing to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level and id10 at 17th level.

Modifier. This is too strong for 1st level, and probably too weak at higher levels.

Stoneskin Totem: Place a totem that gives any affected ally within 30 feet 2 points of resistance to slashing, bludgeoning and peircing damage for 2 minutes. This totem becomes more powerful increasing the restistance to 4 at 5th level, 6 at 11th level and 8 at 17th level.

Piercing, resistance. "Any affected ally..." how do you determine who is affected? What's a "point of resistance"? Again, probably overpowered, should be 1 minute.

Windrush Totem: you place a totem that increases allies movement speed by 10 feet while within the 40 foot radius centered on the totem. This totem lasts for 5 minutes.

I'd probably make this one 10 minutes.

Grounding Totem: You place a totem that redirects the next harmful spell cast at an affected target.

That... doesn't make a lot of sense. How do you define harmful? Which targets are affected? Where are the spells redirected to?

5th Level
Totemic Projection: Whenever you use your action to place a totem you can project it to any unoccupied space you can see within 100 feet.

See, this actually makes sense, and would make more sense if you were initially limited to 5 feet.

6th Level
Ankh
Your deep understanding of death and the spirit world gives you a chance on death to revive yourself. On a final failed death saving throw roll you return to life with half of your health (rounded down)
After you are revived in this manner you must wait at least 1 week before you can use this ability again.

Minor point, but 'week' is not universally defined in D&D, and could vary by setting. In the FR, for example, months are broken down into 'tendays'.

Elemental Resistance: At the end of a long rest choose a damage type from fire, cold and lightning. You gain resistance to that damage type until you take a long rest.

No problems here.

10th Level
Summon elemental: You gain the ability to summon an elemental to you side to aid you in battle for 10 minutes. (Type of elemental depends on your devotion) This abily can only be used once per long rest.
Elemental - Air Elemental
Enhance - Fire Elemental
Restoration - Water Elemental

Ability. Why can't you summon earth elementals? It'd make more sense to just give free once/day casting of Conjure Elemental.

15th Level
Purge Magic: You gain the ability to use Counterspell without consuming a spell slot once per long rest.

Isn't it kind of boring that two of the main class features are just a free casting of a spell?

Elemental

Level 1
Learn the Thunder Bolt cantrip.
Lightning Bolt: 1d8 Lightning/Thunder + widsom modifier damage on hit.
Spell increases in power by 1d8 at 5th, 11th and 17th level.

Learn Flame Shock to be used a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier per short rest.
Flame Shock: 1d4 additional fire damage on spell hit.
If target dies you can use a bonus action to transfer to a new target.
Concentration up to 1 hour.

Learn the Lava Burst spell and always have it prepared.
Lava Burst (First Level Spell): 3d8 Fire damage on hit
If attacking a target with Flame Shock on it attack with advantage.
Spell increase in power 1d8 per spell slot level above 1st level.

2nd Level
Lava Surge: When Flame Shock does max damage (4) you may use your reaction to cast Lava Surge.
Lava Surge: 2d4 Fire damage
Lava Surge increases in power by 1d4 at 5th, 11th and 17th level.

7th Level
Thunderstorm: When hit with a melee attack you call down the power of thunder to force enemies to make a dexterity saving throw, on a failed save knock enemies within 5 feet of you back 15 feet.
You may use this this ability a number of times equal to half you wisdom modifier (rounded down).

11th Level
Echo of the Elements: When you cast a fire, cold, earth or lightning spell of 5th level or lower you may choose to cast it again on your next turn without expending a spell slot. Once you have used this ability you cant use it again until you complete a long or short rest.

13th Level
Improved Chain Lightning: Anytime you deal lightning damage you may deal half damage to another target within 30 feet of the first. The second target must not have already been affected by the spell.

18th Level
Permanent Elemental: Your supremacy over the elemental planes allow you to have a permanent elemental at your side. If your elemental dies you can spend 1 hour communing with nature and recast the spell without consuming a spell slot.

20th Level
Ascendence
3 minute duration
Automatic critical hit on lava burst and chain lightning becomes lava beam increasing its damage to 10d12 (stll retains the improved chain lightning bonuses).
You may use this ability once per long rest.

Well, there are way too many subclass features in this, and nowhere near enough substance in the base class. Actually no, you're giving it full spellcasting, aren't you. In that case, there's too much of everything. Also you need more than one subclass option, obviously.

Lava burst needs an area specified. Preferably a small one, for 3d8 at level 1.

Keying something of 'rolling a 4 on a d4' is weird. I don't like, though I can't really explain why. Keying anything in this class off a melee attack is probably a mistake. There's no synergy or unity of purpose.

There's no such thing as an 'earth spell'. And that's the third feature now that amounts to 'free spell slot'. You can do better than that.

I'd stay away from the phrase 'Chain Lightning' as a feature name. It's already a spell.

Permanent Elemental is surely too much. What's the beastmaster going to think when he sees that?!

The capstone is oddly worded. So... once per day you can change the name of one of your other features? The damage increases to 10d12... from what? Improved Chain Lightning's damage is a variable function of something else. And it's spelled 'ascendance'.

Overall, there's too much focus on dealing damage here. And the totem idea is nice, but it doesn't go anywhere. It should be the main pillar of the class (alongside spellcasting), but none of the other features build on it.