PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Devotion and poison?

Efrate
2016-11-17, 02:12 AM
Ok, someone correct me, but Knowledge devotion says applies to attack and damage rolls, so does it apply to poisons and ravages? I think it works by RAW, though I would never allow it because it seems insane.

Also to spells,invocations, etc its a minor buff but nice at low levels for cantrips since +2/3 is very easy to get with minimal investment, but that wording makes things scary.

Edit: Turning damage as well?

Was this errata'd at all by chance? Or does this actually work?

Zombimode
2016-11-17, 03:59 AM
Ok, someone correct me, but Knowledge devotion says applies to attack and damage rolls, so does it apply to poisons and ravages? I think it works by RAW, though I would never allow it because it seems insane.

No. Even if you somehow interpret the effects of a poison as a damage roll, it would be the poison who makes the roll, not the character.

Edit: Turning damage as well?

Turning damage is a turning damage roll, not a damage roll.

Necroticplague
2016-11-17, 06:28 AM
No. Ability damage isn't damage, despite the similar name. When a poison does ability damage, you roll for how much it reduces an attribute by, not a damage roll.

Also to spells,invocations, etc its a minor buff but nice at low levels for cantrips since +2/3 is very easy to get with minimal investment, but that wording makes things scary. Depends on the particular spell. If it deals damage, yes (not seeing why a scorching ray wouldn't get +X fire damage)

Edit: Turning damage as well? No. Turning damage, despite the similar name, isn't a damage roll. it's a roll to determine how many HD of undead you can turn.

Crake
2016-11-17, 09:06 AM
No. Ability damage isn't damage, despite the similar name. When a poison does ability damage, you roll for how much it reduces an attribute by, not a damage roll.

Incorrect:

A decrease in hit points, an ability score, or other aspects of a character caused by an injury, illness, or magical effect. The three main categories of damage are lethal damage, nonlethal damage, and ability damage. In addition, wherever it is relevant, the type of damage an attack deals is specified, since natural abilities, magic items, or spell effects may grant immunity to certain types of damage.