View Full Version : Optimization Neverwinter "Valord Hound" Construct - Feedback pls

kalos72
2016-11-17, 12:08 PM
Made this up awhile ago, coming back around to finish it up. ALL feedback is welcome!

Neverwinter “Valor Hound”
Valorhammer style build mixed with the Silvereye Marauder - large wolf like construct designed to patrol the wilds - Looks like Steel Predator (Fiend Folio, page 163)

Medium Construct - Advanced
Hit Dice: 15d10+20 (132hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (can’t run), Fly 40 ft. (Poor)
Armor Class: 27, Touch 17, Flat-Footed 20 (+7 Dex, +10 natural)
Base Attack: +10; CMB: +14; CMD: 31 (+2 vs. trip)
Attack: Bite +17 (1d8+4 plus 2d6 holy damage and grab), 2 claws +15 (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5ft x 5ft
Special Attacks: Pounce, Rake (1d6+2), Breath Weapon (Su): 60' cone -3d6 holy damage
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Low light Vision, Damage Reduction 10/Evil, Darkvision 60 ft., Blindsight, Immunity to Magic, Track Evil, Scent of Evil, Neverwinter Regeneration (Fast Healing 8), True Seeing
Languages: Understands Common, but does not speak, Telepathy
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 24, Con ---, Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: -----
Feats: -----
Challenge Rating: 16

Track Evil (Su): A Neverwinter “Valor Hound” can use the Track Evil ability which is similar to the Track feat and track an evil creature by its lingering evil aura with 100% efficiency.

Scent of Evil (Su): A Neverwinter “Valor Hound” has an unusual ability that combines the scent special quality with the detect evil spell. The “Valor Hound” can detect evil opponents within 150 feet by their scent of evil. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 300 feet; if downwind, it drops to 75 feet. - ( NOT SURE THIS WORKS IF I ALREADY HAVE TRACK)

Breath Weapon (Su): The Neverwinter “Valor Hound” is capable of generated a 60 foot cone of pure sacred energy for 3d6 holy damage. Saving throws are not allowed but good aligned creatures cannot be damaged by the ability. (RANGE TOO LONG?)

Sacred Natural Weapons (Su): All of the natural weapons of a Neverwinter “Valor Hound” are considered silver and holy for the purposes of damage reduction. The bite of a Neverwinter “Valor Hound” marauder also does an additional 2d6 points of holy damage.

Neverwinter Regeneration (Ex): Neverwinter “Valor Hound” have Fast Healing/8 whenever they are within the city limits or in process of defending the city from external attacks.

True Seeing (Ex): Neverwinter “Valor Hound” can use True Seeing at-will.

Immunity to Magic: A Neverwinter “Valor Hound” is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance.

kalos72
2016-11-17, 04:45 PM
Any thoughts are welcome...too weak / too strong, boring? Any feedback is good feedback!

Inevitability
2016-11-18, 02:40 AM
This should be in homebrew. I suggest asking a mod to move your thread.

kalos72
2016-11-18, 08:54 AM
Not sure why its Homebrew but if the Mods think it is, please move it. All I wanted was feedback to make sure I am not doing this wrong or missing some mechanic in the process.

Inevitability
2016-11-18, 01:49 PM
Not sure why its Homebrew but if the Mods think it is, please move it. All I wanted was feedback to make sure I am not doing this wrong or missing some mechanic in the process.

Unless I am mistaken, you made this creature yourself, yes? If it doesn't appear in any book, it's homebrew.

Wanting mechanical feedback for things you created is the entire point of the homebrew forum.

icefractal
2016-11-18, 02:11 PM
This is a very "adamantine peashooter" type of monster (the opposite of a glass cannon). It's a rather durable and self-healing construct, but its attacks are very mild, even against evil foes. This might be appropriate if its role is to deal with large numbers of lesser foes, but it probably won't make for a great fight if the PCs face it. Not CR 16, I think - the Hound Archon Hero (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/archon.htm#houndArchonHero) seems like the most similar creature, and is notable stronger. And the Planetar wipes out both of them, but that one is arguably under-CR.

For the cone, I would increase the damage and possibly reduce the area. A giant blast of fairly weak damage seems odd. Even with no save and untyped, I think it should do at least 8d6 for the listed CR, and more if it had a cooldown.

Scent of Evil and Track Evil seem good, although with both True Seeing and Blindsight (which needs a range; 60 ft is usual), the former might not come up much.

kalos72
2016-11-18, 03:03 PM
Thank you, I wasn't sure what would be over powered or what not. Also, cost/construction is a concern once I get a final product together.