PDA

View Full Version : How does hangover feel?

Akisa
2016-11-17, 09:48 PM
Despite drinking for over 10 years with occasional pass out drunk, or entering the state of vomitorum, I've never had a hangover. I still come into wprk chipper and people I work with and went drinking seem miserable or wondering how I don't have a hangover.

BWR
2016-11-18, 04:32 AM
(you realize the Oh God of Hangovers is coming for you now, right?)

It feels like ****.
I don't get the pounding headaches I've heard of but I am really nauseous, dizzy, even more sensitive to loud noises and bright lights than normal. I just want to lie in bed and try to sleep it off. At most just lie on the couch and feel sorry for myself.

I didn't used to get them, being at worst tired or still slightly drunk upon waking, but the last couple of times I've been dead drunk I've had them. Good thing that drinking until I'm ****faced isn't a hobby of mine - being drunk is more a natural consequence of socializing rather than a goal and we're all sensible enough these days that drinking that much isn't particularly enticing anymore. A couple of relaxing drinks in good company is far more enjoyable than downing 8 tequila shots in a row at then end of a hard drinking party.

Eldariel
2016-11-18, 04:50 AM
Well, as you probably know, a hangover is essentially alcohol-induced dehydration and hypoglycemia, and the symptoms are associated with those (headache, nausea, drowsiness, dryness, sweating, weakened immune system, haywire thermoception, etc.). Alcohol in sufficient dozes causes certain changes in how certain hormones work, which leads to the body not receiving the nutrients it needs. The mellowest versions in my experience are little more but dooziness and feeling somewhat woolly.

Add more and stronger alcohol in a shorter time span and stomach distress and a headache generally make their existence known. It doesn't usually bring the mood up too high either. I feel a bit funny all over, would very much so want to stay in bed, don't feel like eating (due to the somewhat nauseous feeling) but will of course keep feeling worse until I do (usually something that stays down easily). In more extreme cases bright lights, loud sounds and any strong stimuli overall cause the headache to worsen. It usually pulls the mood down and I feel rather passive and off no matter how perky I normally am. In worst case scenarios I might still throw up in the morning, particularly with any food I might try to eat (which, as stated above, is really annoying since you won't get better until you get some stuff to stick), and of course the whole gastrointestinal track is a mess.

Winter_Wolf
2016-11-18, 07:05 AM
How does a hangover feel? Well the last miserable hangover I had, I wanted to kill myself. Or someone please kill me. Or just hurry up and let me die already. I've felt less terrible from having influenza. If you've ever been subject to intense food poisoning, you're in the ballpark of how a hangover feels.

These days I make a point of doing everything in my power to avoid getting a hangover. They'll still try to sneak up on me on account you can still get that nastiness without the joy of actually drinking alcohol, as I discovered much to my disgust.

Flickerdart
2016-11-18, 10:57 AM
Hanover (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanover) feels just fine, if a little chilly.

A hangover, on the other hand, feels terrible. Mostly a major headache and the urge to vomit constantly.

WarKitty
2016-11-18, 11:28 AM
About like having a period without the blood, but less annoying.

That might just be saying something about my periods though.

JeenLeen
2016-11-18, 03:38 PM
For me, a minor hangover is just a mild headache and some nausea.

I had a major hangover after my bachelor party (only time I got blackout drunk), and I felt wretched until the mid-afternoon the next day. On the verge of throwing up, no appetite, headache, hard to function or think.
Really glad the bachelor party was a few days before the wedding.

Coffee did help. I generally don't drink coffee or much with caffine, but a few cups of coffee helped a lot. Still felt horrid, but not as bad.

Goodkill
2016-11-18, 07:48 PM
i used to drink a lot, because i was trying to party myself to death over a long period of time. i only rarely got hangovers though. i think it was partly because of the quality of what i was drinking. i tried drinking my mom's boxed wine and that was one time i got a hangover. i used to combine with caffeine pills or coffee my booze like some people do with tobacco, and surprisingly i didn't ever get a hangover from that considering as a hangover is induced in part by dehydration.

no more hangovers for me though, as i have officially quit drinking after i got gout from beer. i could really go for some champagne though ... i would chug the bottle in like fifteen minutes. thankfully i will not do that, though, as i now feel guilty about lying to my parents and other things. :D

Winter_Wolf
2016-11-18, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't the carbonation in champagne make you potentially a puke geyser if you chugged it? In case it's not obvious, I've never done a beer bong for pretty much that reason. Well that and economic reasons: sure i could attempt it, but a party lasts sundown to sunup, and when you're out of beer you can't count on being able to get more where I lived. In fact you could probably count on Not being able to get more booze.

And a PSA for those lucky enough to never have been in the position: DO NOT go on a boat, skiff, ship, or petty much any water faring vessel when you have a hangover, or expect to have a hangover in that time frame. Or do, because man oh man it's not the kind of thing you'll ever forget. Or want to repeat for the remainder of your life.

factotum
2016-11-19, 01:31 AM
Wouldn't the carbonation in champagne make you potentially a puke geyser if you chugged it?

Pretty sure that doesn't happen with fizzy drinks like Coke, and champagne isn't any fizzier than that.

Haruki-kun
2016-11-21, 06:17 PM
Depends entirely on what you drank, how much, what you ate, and whether you drank any water before bed.

Ruslan
2016-11-21, 07:25 PM
While I've never been myself, I would guess Hanover feels about halfway between Bremen and Leipzig. *rimshot*

Mastikator
2016-11-22, 02:11 PM
Headache, nausea, need to vomit, sensitivity to light and noise, lethargy.

Mauve Shirt
2016-11-24, 09:20 AM
Rotgut usually for me is the worst symptom. Headache is more common now that I'm past 25. If I drank waaaaay too much my head swells up and it kind of feels like an out of body experience; like I'm not the one using my limbs

Angelika Tatsu
2016-11-27, 08:56 PM
I don't get hangovers. I pass out and wake up a few hours later or I hurl. Within the last year I made the choice to give up alcohol though. The last time I got sick from drinking was at my sisters first wedding.

JeenLeen
2016-11-28, 10:56 AM
Last night I drank a little over half a bottle of champagne. Drank a good bit of water and had dinner around the same time (though it was a light dinner), but I still woke up with a headache and a little foggy-headed.

So, active example of a rather mild hangover.

Knaight
2016-11-28, 11:21 AM
I don't drink anywhere near heavily enough to have ever had a bad hangover (although I do also drink water when drinking, so it might be that), but a bit of nausea did happen once. From what I've heard though a bad one is roughly comparable to migraine - or, as put upthread:

On the verge of throwing up, no appetite, headache, hard to function or think.

This matches the migraine bit, although teetering over the verge of throwing up could happen in either case.

dascarletm
2016-11-28, 02:31 PM
I don't know if this is something scientifically studied or not, but it seems as though the younger you are the less likely you are to get a hangover. For years I would drink and feel just perfectly fine. It wasn't until I turned 26 or so when I started getting them. The first one was terrible.

Just wait... you'll get yours...:smallamused:

lio45
2016-11-28, 03:46 PM
Took me a while to finally click on this thread. Not what I had expected at all!!! I was intending to say, my trip to Lower Saxony felt... pleasant, if I had to sum it up with a word; even though many years have passed since, I still have great memories of the area (and of Germany as a whole, too).

But seeing how the interior of the thread doesn't match its cover, stratch that, my new word to sum it up in a word is "headache". That's what it feels like.

Angelika Tatsu
2016-11-28, 08:09 PM
I don't know if this is something scientifically studied or not, but it seems as though the younger you are the less likely you are to get a hangover. For years I would drink and feel just perfectly fine. It wasn't until I turned 26 or so when I started getting them. The first one was terrible.

Just wait... you'll get yours...:smallamused:I am 40. :smallwink:

NePb
2016-11-28, 08:39 PM
Hangover is cleaning jager puke out of your curly long hair(Super metal). It's a headache you can taste. Its kidney stone's nausea mixed with head trauma's dizziness mixed with a heaping dose of albino light sensitivity...

Perhaps this is why I no longer drink...

dascarletm
2016-11-28, 09:15 PM
I am 40. :smallwink:

That's young in dwarf years I suppose... Perhaps you are a descendant of The King Under the Mountain :smalltongue:

Akisa
2016-11-28, 10:06 PM
I am 40. :smallwink:

I'm within 10 years younger that is close as you can get.

PallElendro
2016-11-29, 01:36 PM
I just want to do nothing except lay in place and decompose spiritually.

My dad gave me a tip to avoid hangovers, which was to drink some water and eat some bread or pizza along with my spirits or brew. I felt so much better in future mornings after drinking.

Dodom
2016-11-29, 02:20 PM
I used to think it felt like lingering tolerable but annoying nausea, but eventually figured out I only got it from some beers, not from wine, liquors, etc. so I think my stomach just doesn't agree with all beers (maybe the hops?) and I never really drink enough to get real hangovers. I drank too much ONCE, and hated the effect enough not to want to do it again.

The Fury
2016-11-29, 04:50 PM
Regarding why you've never had a hangover, my cousin shared a theory of his with me once. I don't get hangovers often, and when I do they're pretty mild, (stomach is a little rocky and I usually can't eat anything until mid-afternoon, sometimes a headache too.) My cousin told me that the reason for that might just be because I'm kind of small and can't drink as much as other people can. For that reason, my body never has that much alcohol to metabolize so I recover quicker. Maybe you're the same way?

Flickerdart
2016-11-29, 04:50 PM
I think my stomach just doesn't agree with all beers (maybe the hops?)
As an experiment, you can try a bunch of beers with low hops (German lagers for instance) or no hops (sahti (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/148/) or gruit beers (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/70/) that use herbs as a bittering ingredient instead of hops) and see if those give you trouble as well.

danzibr
2016-12-02, 07:18 AM
Not to pry, but how drunk have you gotten? If I drink just a little bit, I don't have any sort of hangover. If I drink so much I don't remember the whole night (and apparently, the parts that I don't remember involve drinking more), then I get an awful, awful hangover. Mostly extreme nausea. Like, walking makes me want to vomit, as does standing, as does moving my head, as does talking, as does the mere thought of alcohol, as does lying down, as does eating, as does drinking, as does pretty much anything. Last time I had a hangover, this persisted for almost the entire day, lost 5 pounds in water weight. After that, I took a vow of sobriety.

Akisa
2016-12-02, 10:34 AM
Not to pry, but how drunk have you gotten? If I drink just a little bit, I don't have any sort of hangover. If I drink so much I don't remember the whole night (and apparently, the parts that I don't remember involve drinking more), then I get an awful, awful hangover. Mostly extreme nausea. Like, walking makes me want to vomit, as does standing, as does moving my head, as does talking, as does the mere thought of alcohol, as does lying down, as does eating, as does drinking, as does pretty much anything. Last time I had a hangover, this persisted for almost the entire day, lost 5 pounds in water weight. After that, I took a vow of sobriety.

In the past I've plenty of drinks where I don't remember the morning after and I don't feel fatigued (unless I've had a lack of sleep), nor the headaches or nausea. Than again I also drink water with my drinks.

Angelika Tatsu
2016-12-03, 12:31 AM
That's young in dwarf years I suppose... Perhaps you are a descendant of The King Under the Mountain :smalltongue: Lol, you're too funny.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-12-05, 03:39 AM
Well, as you probably know, a hangover is essentially alcohol-induced dehydration and hypoglycemia, and the symptoms are associated with those (headache, nausea, drowsiness, dryness, sweating, weakened immune system, haywire thermoception, etc.). Alcohol in sufficient dozes causes certain changes in how certain hormones work, which leads to the body not receiving the nutrients it needs. The mellowest versions in my experience are little more but dooziness and feeling somewhat woolly.

Add more and stronger alcohol in a shorter time span and stomach distress and a headache generally make their existence known. It doesn't usually bring the mood up too high either. I feel a bit funny all over, would very much so want to stay in bed, don't feel like eating (due to the somewhat nauseous feeling) but will of course keep feeling worse until I do (usually something that stays down easily). In more extreme cases bright lights, loud sounds and any strong stimuli overall cause the headache to worsen. It usually pulls the mood down and I feel rather passive and off no matter how perky I normally am. In worst case scenarios I might still throw up in the morning, particularly with any food I might try to eat (which, as stated above, is really annoying since you won't get better until you get some stuff to stick), and of course the whole gastrointestinal track is a mess.

This is an excellent clinical description of hangover symptoms. I'd add a couple of details:

1) Your tongue feels like it's wearing a moldy angora sweater.

2) Each of your teeth is covered in a tiny sweaty wool sock.

3) Mouthwash only helps a little.

DracoknightZero
2016-12-05, 03:57 AM
Hangovers vary quite from person to person and the kind of liquid you manage to get down.
At least from beer in my case you will get a headache with a strong feeling of dryness over you as you are dehydrated because of the beer.

With tequilla you will have a sensation of a knot in your stomach with offset balance and a spinning head and a possibly headache, but thats mostly a bi-effect of the dizziness.

Hard liquids such as Vodka can vary depending if you drink it clean or mixed out, but the standard if you are too heavy into it following with headache, stiffness everywhere (most likely from all of the activity you did the night before) and feeling of dryness if you didnt mix it out.

Depending on your activities from the day before there is a variance from little to heavy feeling of regret that might be modified by the after effects, items destroyed and your current sleeping place.

valadil
2016-12-06, 02:13 PM
I usually just feel tired and headachey. Like if I went back to bed for three hours it'd all be okay.

Wish
2016-12-18, 03:05 PM
I try not to get too drunk these days but it happens from time to time. Usually on a hangover I usually wake up still slightly drunk and dizzy. I think thats the main thing really, is that despite all the drinking of milk before, drinking water the day after, getting some fresh air, or just not mixing your brew on the night. If you are still drunk the morning after, I usually classify it as a hangover.

sktarq
2016-12-19, 03:39 AM
Most "serious" hangovers - usually deeply effected by a lack of a full night's sleep on top of it.
Feel like I had even less sleep than I had (like I'd stayed up all night- usually do fine 4-5hours not in processing major amounts of booze).
A bit slow and weedy. Like my muscle are week and in achy. Don't have my normal endurance.
Finally I have a sensitive tummy. Just want simple bland food-avoiding lots of sugar in particular.
as for a headache - it is more I had a major headache and it is just the echo of one left.
but basically its like I forgot to sleep (or couldn't due to a migraine) after a day I worked out heavily.
actually since my migraines cause nausea but no sense sensitivity it is very much like having been kept up all night by one but it is over just leaving the echos of pain and mild exhaustion.
and If i can get a full 8 hours of sleep this basically never happens.

Most minor hangovers.
Its like I had had a headache....it is a mild tightness more than pain, and a mild soreness in the limbs, and tiredness. Usually gone by the time I sit down for a couple big cups of tea and a couple of bagels or rolls.

for extreme hangovers...total blackout....arguable alcohol poisoning. . . OH GOOD GRIEF THE PAIN. Ever muscle wants to contract. Shaking with occasional spasms (and since movement hurt that wasn't fun. My skull is trying to blow out of every square inch/cm of my scalp. Every photon and sonic vibration hit like it backed with medieval weaponry-some degree of synesthesia (but that's a personal weakness) . My stomach also just would not hold anything down....water, sports drinks, food, saltines, anything......

That was not a good day. Apparently I knocked back 1.5 liters of low quality vodka from the bottle in 10 minutes when already lightly drunk without food or water.....pretty much worse case scenario for a hangover. . . So even if you don't really get hangovers or only mild ones...you can still get one if you are stupid enough in how you choose to drink.