PDA

View Full Version : Ghost question

Yogibear41
2016-11-17, 11:54 PM
If a ghost takes the Draining touch attack quality, does it determine which ability score it damages on each successful attack, or does it determine the ability score upon selecting the special attack and may only damage that one score from there on out?

KillianHawkeye
2016-11-18, 01:15 AM
Based on the text, it seems like they'd get to choose each time. I'm not 100% sure I agree that that's how it should be, but that's the way it's written.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-18, 01:47 AM
Based on the text, it seems like they'd get to choose each time. I'm not 100% sure I agree that that's how it should be, but that's the way it's written.

Seconded (or possibly thirded or fourthed by the time I'm done posting). The ability description in question from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm):
Draining Touch (Su)

A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only. No specific timing is clearly spelled out on the selection, but the intent appears to be 'on use' rather than 'on selection'.