PDA

View Full Version : Summon/Control/Rebuke Ethergaunts?

Avigor
2016-11-18, 06:06 AM
Can anyone think of a RAW way to summon, control, rebuke, or otherwise bind a large number of Ethergaunts (in other words, aberrations) to your will with little to no risk of them turning on you?

I'm mostly idly contemplating what kind of build I'd create if a DM ever sat a group I was in down and told us to roll up epic-level, evil characters with the intent of killing a deity; assume the worst forms of cheese (like pun-pun and being transformed at an early level into a beholder to get beholder mage early) and all patron deities are out of bounds albeit minor leeways might be allowed to fit good concepts (like working around RHD "class" skills if it makes a lot of sense).

So far the rest of what I've been considering has boiled down to Vasharan Wizard 2/Paragon 3/Ur-Priest 10 with Apostate and Divine Denial feats (will only take Blessing of the Godless if I run out of better options), and I'm debating on other PrC's: Dry Lich would be good for survival but not for the fight itself, Dweomerkeeper would be awesome but requires a domain which might mean a dip into Contemplative or something else I'm not thinking of at the moment. I'm assuming Human Paragon would be the template for Vasharan Paragon (the bonus feat becomes a vile feat).

Beyond that, I'm liking Undead Leadership with a lot of Quell and the cohort would be a Quell Ephemeral Exemplar / Defiant set to disable the enemy's priests and such; this idea of having a swarm of undead around makes Lord of the Dead (from the 3.0 web article) look desirable to help weaken turning attempts, but I'm not 100% set on that (and if I did it, I might have to go Necropolitan unless I went Walker in the Waste and/or the DM just let us ignore a single template's worth of LA).

Any feedback?

Tvtyrant
2016-11-18, 06:42 AM
At that level why not just play a black ethergaunt, then bind others? They are devoted to racial hierarchy and will obey you.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-18, 12:20 PM
You can easily mindrape any number of ethergaunts, or create ice assassins of an ice assassin of a single black ethergaunt, or fusion with a black ethergaunt and create copies of yourself, or [...] or use an ethereal chicken-infested commoner to fill the entire Ethereal Plane with chickens, forcing all black ethergaunts escape into your rerouted-teleport-trap.

Well, you did say 'all cheese allowed'.

Tvtyrant
2016-11-18, 03:26 PM
You can easily mindrape any number of ethergaunts, or create ice assassins of an ice assassin of a single black ethergaunt, or fusion with a black ethergaunt and create copies of yourself, or [...] or use an ethereal chicken-infested commoner to fill the entire Ethereal Plane with chickens, forcing all black ethergaunts escape into your rerouted-teleport-trap.

Well, you did say 'all cheese allowed'.

Hahaha he is destroying the planes one chicken at a time! Oh my, I laughed way too hard at this.

Avigor
2016-11-18, 07:47 PM
At that level why not just play a black ethergaunt, then bind others? They are devoted to racial hierarchy and will obey you.

True... I just really like the idea of stealing the god's own power to use it against them however. Of course, a party dedicated to this is almost guaranteed to get at least one player who would be an archivist or ur-priest type build so picking something else for myself could work just as well. I'm thinking black ethergaunt with Incantatrix? Too bad Mage of the Arcane Order isn't stronger (at least faster to call a spell); would be really flavorful for the ethergaunt civilization to be sharing power via such a means as the spellpool.