PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pageant of the Peacock and Orator Feat

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 10:12 AM
So, I recently saw this Bardic Performance and the Orator Feat, and I am wondering, can you combine them?

Can you make it so all you need is ranks in Perform Dance or Act and let you use those for All int based skills and the social skills?

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 10:17 AM
Orator lets you use linguistics in place of bluff, intimidate, or diplomacy.

Versatile performance doesn't let you use a perform skill instead of linguistics.

How do these things overlap at all? A bard should never take the orator feat, performance covers the social skills. It gets you nothing.

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 10:21 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/bardic-masterpieces/masterpieces/pageant-of-the-peacock

Pageant of the Peacock lets you use Dance/Act n place of any int check.

Sorry I am dumb, I did not read that properly. It lets you use BLUFF in place of any int check, and then using Orator lets me use that bluff check in place of every other social skill.

Also this is for a Character I'm building to be a Pathfinder Chronicler, so being a bit more int focused helps.

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 10:29 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/bardic-masterpieces/masterpieces/pageant-of-the-peacock

Pageant of the Peacock lets you use Dance/Int in place of any int check.

Also this is for a Character I'm building to be a Pathfinder Chronicler, so being a bit more int focused helps.

You are incorrect. Read the description. It lets you make bluff checks instead of int and int-based skill checks. It's bad for everything except a bluff and disguise bonus, and you shouldn't use it or the orator feat. You're a bard so use versatile performance if you've got more skill points than CHA to pump your social skills.

EDIT: go read what the orator feat actually says please.

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 10:35 AM
You are incorrect. Read the description. It lets you make bluff checks instead of int and int-based skill checks. It's bad for everything except a bluff and disguise bonus, and you shouldn't use it or the orator feat. You're a bard so use versatile performance if you've got more skill points than CHA to pump your social skills.

EDIT: go read what the orator feat actually says please.

I did misread the first. And I am aware that Orator is a limited feat, in that it lets you do just a handful of things instead of all the social skills.

I stand by I am not a bard, I am a chronicler, so it limits my choices in versatile performance, I only get the two, if I can get more skills options at a feat cost, I am happy.

I also fail to see how Peacock is bad, I can make any INT and INT skill check based off of one skill, at the cost of a round of performance, but I can live with that.

I am still curious, can I make them stack?

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 10:43 AM
I did misread the first. And I am aware that Orator is a limited feat, in that it lets you do just a handful of things instead of all the social skills.

I stand by I am not a bard, I am a chronicler, so it limits my choices in versatile performance, I only get the two, if I can get more skills options at a feat cost, I am happy.

I also fail to see how Peacock is bad, I can make any INT check based off of one skill, at the cost of a round of performance, but I can live with that.

I am still curious, can I make them stack?

No, you can't substitute substitutes. If you didn't come from bard, pageant of the peacock is 100% pure crap for you. If you want to be the party face, don't have CHA for some reason, and are also not putting your skill ranks into them, Orator lets you sometimes use your buffed up linguistics instead of social skills.

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 10:53 AM
So now I am curious. Why should I not use the Pageant of the Peacock? The way I am reading it the performance lets you have the checks.

I am also not really building a face so much as a skill monkey and support.

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 10:59 AM
So now I am curious. Why should I not use the Pageant of the Peacock? The way I am reading it the performance lets you have the checks.

I am also not really building a face so much as a skill monkey and support.

Your linguistics is better than your bluff, so it provides literally no benefit.

What are you taking before chronicler? Rogue? Because bards are backup skillmonkeys.

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 11:10 AM
I like weird classes, and the ability to give Standard Actions seems fun. I also do a little bit of min maxing, and can't help but like an ability that lets use get a ton of skills for a very small cost.

This is really not meant to be a character who is good by herself, but good at making other people good. And we need someone who can use knowledge.

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 11:14 AM
I like weird classes, and the ability to give Standard Actions seems fun. I also do a little bit of min maxing, and can't help but like an ability that lets use get a ton of skills for a very small cost.

This is really not meant to be a character who is good by herself, but good at making other people good. And we need someone who can use knowledge.

You're just describing a bard again. What are you taking before chronicler?

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 11:16 AM
You're just describing a bard again. What are you taking before chronicler?

Oh! Yeah Bard into Chronicler.

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 11:24 AM
Oh! Yeah Bard into Chronicler.

ok. So we're back to the start again.

Pageant of the peacock is crap. It's not worth a level 2 spell to conditionally benefit some skills.

Orator is crap. It's not worth 2 feats if it did a lot, but it's 2 feats that provides literally no benefit to a bard. You're CHA-based and social skills are class skills. Put ranks in them.

Bards are already skillmonkeys. They have lots of skill points, all knowledge skills as class skills, extra class bonuses to all of them, and can make them untrained before they rank them. They're better than low-level wizards.

Once you take chronicler, most skills will be class skills. If you want to use something, RANK IT, don't waste your character resources on extremely ineffective means of making skill checks.

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 11:33 AM
Pageant of the peacock is crap. It's not worth a level 2 spell to conditionally benefit some skills.

I would like a bit of a more detailed explanation of this part. This isn't exactly conditionally benefiting, it almost always benefits. I will be starting at around level 13 with this character. That means I will have at least 22 rounds of performance, which is 220 minutes worth of int checks. On top of that a Chronicler can store their unused performances from previous days, and keep them as books, meaning on off days I can save up ones I need for battle and then spend them that way, leaving me lots of performances to use.

Why is that bad?

Also, since I starting to agree, going to Orator not super helpful, so I would use a feat for that ability. I will be human, I will have enough to spare.

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 11:44 AM
I would like a bit of a more detailed explanation of this part. This isn't exactly conditionally benefiting, it almost always benefits. I will be starting at around level 13 with this character. That means I will have at least 22 rounds of performance, which is 220 minutes worth of int checks. On top of that a Chronicler can store their unused performances from previous days, and keep them as books, meaning on off days I can save up ones I need for battle and then spend them that way, leaving me lots of performances to use.

Why is that bad?

Also, since I starting to agree, going to Orator not super helpful, so I would use a feat for that ability. I will be human, I will have enough to spare.

Where do you think it says chroniclers can store performance rounds?

I already told you why it's crap. You've already got tons of skills and a method for using some instead of others. What you want to do is give up a spell(a useful thing) to use a skill instead of a different one(not useful, because you can already do that).

Skill focus is a bad feat, but it's better than that. It does strictly benefit the skill a reasonable amount. If skill checks are so important to your character take a bunch of them, added too bardic knowledge it'll be quite a lot(less than if you just took more bard levels, though)

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 11:52 AM
Where do you think it says chroniclers can store performance rounds?

I already told you why it's crap. You've already got tons of skills and a method for using some instead of others. What you want to do is give up a spell(a useful thing) to use a skill instead of a different one(not useful, because you can already do that).

Skill focus is a bad feat, but it's better than that. It does strictly benefit the skill a reasonable amount. If skill checks are so important to your character take a bunch of them, added too bardic knowledge it'll be quite a lot(less than if you just took more bard levels, though)

Epic Tales lets me store performance rounds at a 2:1 ratio, which is pretty good considering it is basically a way to just pull out a book and activate a performance for a number of rounds. Especially for ones that don't rely on charisma. Heck, since I'm freeing up some feats I might go get a familiar.

And I cannot use CHA for knowledge, or at least I thought I couldn't. Looking at this, seems likes I can, plus a +4 bonus. Considering that is like 10 skills that I would have to invest in, verses just a single skill.

I am also using the Diva archtype, so I lose some Bardic Knowledge.

exelsisxax
2016-11-18, 12:17 PM
Epic Tales lets me store performance rounds at a 2:1 ratio, which is pretty good considering it is basically a way to just pull out a book and activate a performance for a number of rounds. Especially for ones that don't rely on charisma. Heck, since I'm freeing up some feats I might go get a familiar.

And I cannot use CHA for knowledge, or at least I thought I couldn't. Looking at this, seems likes I can, plus a +4 bonus. Considering that is like 10 skills that I would have to invest in, verses just a single skill.

I am also using the Diva archtype, so I lose some Bardic Knowledge.

Epic tales are self-only. Makes more sense now.

Taking that archetype makes you an inherently worse skillmonkey. You say you want to be a skillmonkey, so why not something like an archivist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archivist), which can take 10 all day and take 20 on skill checks? Taking 20 is a real benefit. peacock pagaent isn't.

Draco_Lord
2016-11-18, 12:20 PM
Epic tales are self-only. Makes more sense now.

Taking that archetype makes you an inherently worse skillmonkey. You say you want to be a skillmonkey, so why not something like an archivist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archivist), which can take 10 all day and take 20 on skill checks? Taking 20 is a real benefit. peacock pagaent isn't.

Greater Epic Tales isn't, and that happens at level 13.
Well, level 8 of Chronicler, but I'll be character level 13 then.

Because Diva fits the character more, and while I am building a skill monkey (Well, a relative skill monkey), I like the flexibility of PotP more.

So is the only downside it isn't as good as something else? Because I think just being able to ignore int skills completely and just be great at them for a small cost is pretty worth it.