PDA

View Full Version : Yolo's guide to Swagsters

Foxhound438
2016-11-18, 12:45 PM
So there are two things I want to look at in this thread, neither being player race related...

First one is just a "look at" more than a "let's discuss", and it is the Devourer. I think it's my new favorite monster. Even more so than Pit Fiends.

Second thing is the "champion"- it seems that their defining feature is a bonus damage if they are above half HP... Not at all anything related to improved criticals, but does have a couple of classic fighter features.

So my question is, does this point to a possible revised champion in a future splat book? We see free damage, probably would start at 1d6 and go up to 2 at some later level, maybe it will be limited to 1/turn for players. The free damage is also reliant on 1/2 HP, so it's also a relatively safe assumption to say they might also get the regen at 18th level that they already have.

So I think it will look something like:

3: free 1d6 damage at 1/2 or more
7: usual trash feature
10: possibly improved fighting style options, rather than pick a second? Probably just the same as normal though.
15: free 2d6 damage at 1/2 or more
18: survivor

So how would people feel about that? basically change improved crit to conditional extra damage, makes it seem more powerful. Perhaps too strong if it applies to every hit...

Arkhios
2016-11-18, 01:00 PM
Umm... Not sure if you're just trolling the boards but I'm curious. Where have you taken this "Champion" revision from?

Dr.Samurai
2016-11-18, 01:01 PM
I imagine that a "monster" or NPC champion has that feature because Improved Critical would come into play too infrequently in an encounter with the PCs to even be worth having.

Foxhound438
2016-11-18, 01:01 PM
Umm... Not sure if you're just trolling the boards but I'm curious. Where have you taken this "Champion" revision from?

it's speculation. based on the champion in volo's guide...

JackPhoenix
2016-11-18, 01:05 PM

It's no revision. There's an NPC called Champion in Volo's Guide to Monsters and he concludes that just because it shares a name with fighter subclass, it implies that the subclass will be revised to share the features of that NPC.

Arkhios
2016-11-18, 01:38 PM
It's no revision. There's an NPC called Champion in Volo's Guide to Monsters and he concludes that just because it shares a name with fighter subclass, it implies that the subclass will be revised to share the features of that NPC.

Ach, okay.

Draco4472
2016-11-18, 11:59 PM
Given the most recent UA's are in alphabetical order, if next week's is Cleric, we might see a PHB 2 in the future, with the revised ranger and maybe the UA feats.

It can't be coincidental. Barbarians were an obvious choice as they had no UA material. Bards have a couple however. If the next is Cleric, following the alphabetical trend, and then Druid...

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-19, 12:15 AM
Given the most recent UA's are in alphabetical order, if next week's is Cleric, we might see a PHB 2 in the future, with the revised ranger and maybe the UA feats.

It can't be coincidental. Barbarians were an obvious choice as they had no UA material. Bards have a couple however. If the next is Cleric, following the alphabetical trend, and then Druid...

I've heard that there's also supposed to be more coming out for the Mystic. If so, and if there is going to be a PHB II, I think we can assume that the Mystic will be a new class in it.

As well as a revised Ranger, hopefully.