PDA

View Full Version : Basic Point Build for 5e Bladesinger

Squeak
2016-11-18, 03:04 PM
Hi

I can't seem to find a guide for the Bladesinger wizard archetype, although I do know that their emphasis is quite different in some ways to standard wizards due to their ability to get into melee combat. Consequently I was hoping someone here could provide me with a basic outline 27-point build that included initial stats, level-ups and feats/skills please?

Sadly while I know a bit about standard wizards I have no experience at all with Bladesingers (nor anyone in my group sadly) but they sound really fun to try out.

Thanks!

Oramac
2016-11-18, 03:29 PM
You basically said it already. They're a standard Wizard that can get into melee a bit.

I'd say build it like you would a normal wizard, but take a more even stat allocation to account for Dex to AC and Con for getting in melee (you'll be making far more con saves). Something like 8,15,14,15,10,8 before racial bonuses.

You also might look at slightly different spells since you won't be standing way back in the back. I'd go with a lot more control-type spells and fewer blasty spells, personally.

Draco4472
2016-11-18, 06:08 PM
Consequently I was hoping someone here could provide me with a basic outline 27-point build that included initial stats, level-ups and feats/skills please?

I've played a High-Elf Bladesinger in AL. I started with the following array:

STR: 8
DEX: 17
CON: 12
INT: 16
WIS: 12
CHA: 8

Optimally, wisdom could be lowered to start with a higher constitution modifier, and Dexterity need not start at 17. I intended to get the Resilient feat for dex at some point and wanted it to have it even out the number for using a later ASI to get 20 dexterity. Keep in mind as well half-elves can be Bladesingers too, so you could get bonus skills and start with a 16 in both Dex and INT. If you choose a full-elf, high elf has the best start Ability-score wise, and an extra cantrip to boot, whereas wood-elf makes for a nice stealth-wizard. Drow make poor bladesingers, and have Cha. based spells which you won't need nor probably want to invest the ASI's into.

I'd recommend 8,(15 or 14),14,15,10,8 for your array before adding racial modifiers, getting you decent stats in your main two ability scores without being too squishy for an occasionally melee character.

Side note: Arcane Trickster 18/Bladesinger 2 is an awesome multiclass if you're interested.

Rapiers are the best weapon of choice being a d8 with finesse. The sidebar about whips and handaxes and all that is fluffing. I would ask your DM if you could consider x weapon you get proficiency with when you choose the archetype can be considered finesse for your use, as a STR based Bladesinger is MAD and unoptimal.

As for ASI/Feats, Intelligence comes before anything, as almost every feature of wizards is dependent on this stat. Defensive Duelist is thematic, but unnecessary if you have the Shield spell prepared. Although getting this feat could save you spell-slots down the line. Dexterity is secondary to Int, as you're still a wizard, just with a sword.

As for how it plays, it mostly acts like a wizard, depending on your spell-selection. My bladesinger focused on Evocation and Abjuration spells, but spells like Blur and Mirror-image significantly buff your melee capabilities, especially when combined with the cantrips presented in the SCAG with the bladesinger, Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade in particular over the other two.

And let me stress that the bladesinger is not a tank, it is a glass-cannon very difficult to hit with attack rolls twice a day for a minute at a time. It is not a melee character, it is a spellcaster with melee options. You may go entire sessions without ever using the Bladesong, and when you do, you are not the embodiment of sword-related deaths you expected. You are and will always be a caster first (assuming you don't multiclass).

Foxhound438
2016-11-19, 02:59 AM
theoretically any given race with +1/+2 in dex and int, in either order, gets you a point buy result of 8/16/14/16/10/10. Alternatively, drop either wis or cha to 8 and choose variant human, and grab the dual wielder feat.

Generally I see a lot of fighter 1 starts for these, since it gives you the HP you need to survive out the gate, and ultimately the two weapon fighting style is good for bladesingers.

ASI's should be max out int and dex (in any order), followed by any feat you want or a con boost, but generally you do want dual wielder. Tough and war caster stand out here quite well.

I recommend 2wf for these since it actually does have synergy with the 14th level feature, but note that if you won't reach that level you may well be better off keeping a hand free for somatics- saves feat pressure that way, too.

Note also that BS is also very good for a standard utility-AOE caster build, with the big difference being you have a lot of good defensive boosts. Extra attack is more or less going to waste there, but the other features are in fact worth.

Malifice
2016-11-19, 03:17 AM
To get the most out of Bladesinger in melee you need to MC at least two levels with Paladin (divine smite).

Sadly this means you cant dump your two main dump stats.

djreynolds
2016-11-19, 03:26 AM
To get the most out of Bladesinger in melee you need to MC at least two levels with Paladin (divine smite).

I like the idea of the paladin... actually IMO bladesinger may have made a better elven paladin archetype.

Do you recommend grabbing paladin before or after 14th level bladesinger? 14th level seems so far away but adding intelligence to your damage is cool

Malifice
2016-11-19, 03:34 AM
I like the idea of the paladin... actually IMO bladesinger may have made a better elven paladin archetype.

Do you recommend grabbing paladin before or after 14th level bladesinger? 14th level seems so far away but adding intelligence to your damage is cool

I like taking it early to get divine smite up and running. You should have both levels before 8th (taking them for levels 7-8 is probably the best).

You just need to put 13's in Str and Cha. A strong argument can be made for Half Elf (+2 cha, +1 Dex and Int).

In addition to divine smite patching over the blade-singers rubbish melee damage, it also adds cure wounds to your bow for added usefulness.

djreynolds
2016-11-19, 03:43 AM
I like taking it early to get divine smite up and running. You should have both levels before 8th (taking them for levels 7-8 is probably the best).

You just need to put 13's in Str and Cha. A strong argument can be made for Half Elf (+2 cha, +1 Dex and Int).

In addition to divine smite patching over the blade-singers rubbish melee damage, it also adds cure wounds to your bow for added usefulness.

Its not bad, you get wisdom save proficiency from both classes and starting paladin would give you charisma. You could leave wisdom at 10

You may or may not need war caster, the build is very doable if you could get you hands on some magic leather armor

Malifice
2016-11-19, 03:55 AM
Its not bad, you get wisdom save proficiency from both classes and starting paladin would give you charisma. You could leave wisdom at 10

You may or may not need war caster, the build is very doable if you could get you hands on some magic leather armor

Fluff wise, Ancients works well also.

djreynolds
2016-11-19, 04:11 AM
Fluff wise, Ancients works well also.

Ancient would work very well. I guess I would go half-elf also.

Its MAD but it has real flavor doesn't it.

Con will have to be left at 10, I can't work around that. And wisdom is an 8, but you will have proficiency in it at least.

And intelligence could be left at 16, respectable +3 AC. And just use your spell slots to smite.

Arnie82
2016-11-19, 06:57 AM

MC with a paladin is going to be painful. It's EXTREMELY MAD. Strength and charisma need to be 13 each, and you already need great dex and int, while keep con relatively good as well. With a high elf of half-elf point buy 13/15/11/16/8/13 is the best you can do. If your planning on multi class with a bladesinger rogue or fighter is where it is at. Fighter for 2 weapon fighting while swashbuckler rogue I'd good for booming blade and walking away. Really almost any rogue works well.

Point buy for a high elf can get you 8/16/14/16/10/10. That's a nice 19 AC at level 1 while using blade song.

As far as what is more important to take up first dex or int. It's going to come down to how you play your character. If your are going 2 weapon fighting I would take dex over int and use spells like haste to boost your combat abilities. If your going to buff or debuff go int first. Warcaster is not a bad idea either way.

Malifice
2016-11-19, 09:01 AM
MC with a paladin is going to be painful. It's EXTREMELY MAD. Strength and charisma need to be 13 each, and you already need great dex and int, while keep con relatively good as well. With a high elf of half-elf point buy 13/15/11/16/8/13 is the best you can do. If your planning on multi class with a bladesinger rogue or fighter is where it is at. Fighter for 2 weapon fighting while swashbuckler rogue I'd good for booming blade and walking away. Really almost any rogue works well.

Point buy for a high elf can get you 8/16/14/16/10/10. That's a nice 19 AC at level 1 while using blade song.

As far as what is more important to take up first dex or int. It's going to come down to how you play your character. If your are going 2 weapon fighting I would take dex over int and use spells like haste to boost your combat abilities. If your going to buff or debuff go int first. Warcaster is not a bad idea either way.

MAD doesnt really matter when you're adding +xd8 smites to your melee attacks.

djreynolds
2016-11-19, 09:09 AM
Just leave int at 16, and smite all day long with bonus AC of +3, shield of faith, defensive style, 16 dex, studded leather +2... I can't add it up but maybe 20AC plus the shield.. AC25

Smite on every single strike and dump lightning bolts right in the enemy's face.

And its very cool that it is MAD

Draco4472
2016-11-19, 10:58 AM

It's a bit MAD for my taste, but if you don't mind that, I'd take 14 Wizard levels first, as the Paladin Proficiencies you would get don't help bladesinger much.

Draco4472
2016-11-19, 11:00 AM

Wisdom should be dumped for a Paladin/Bladesinger, as 13 str and cha is expensive in point buy. War caster probably isn't needed as you should have one hand free anyway using a one-handed weapon with the bladesong.

Specter
2016-11-19, 11:01 AM
High Elf
ST8 DX14 CO14 IN15 WI12 CH8

If you're going Rock Gnome, trade dex and int and go to town.

As for feats, Resilient CON is pretty much mandatory, so you may even plan your stats for that.

Draco4472
2016-11-19, 11:02 AM
Just leave int at 16, and smite all day long with bonus AC of +3, shield of faith, defensive style, 16 dex, studded leather +2... I can't add it up but maybe 20AC plus the shield.. AC25

Smite on every single strike and dump lightning bolts right in the enemy's face.

What's even better is that you can use divine smite on Green-Flame Blade and Booming Blade, for even more d8 of damage.

Now a Paladin/Bladesinger is growing on me, but we need a better abbreviation than that. Bladeadin? Palasinger?

Arnie82
2016-11-19, 01:10 PM

13/15/11/16/8/13 is the best you can do unless you dump con. Then you can go 13/16/9/16/8/13

You can't get dex to 16 till at least level 6 unless you dump con to less then 10. At level 6 you have 20 AC with 26 HP. I'm not sure how long you plan on living on the front lines with 26 HP. If paladin didn't have the 13 strength requirement it would work. Your just making an already fragile class worse.

Draco4472
2016-11-19, 05:04 PM
13/15/11/16/8/13 is the best you can do unless you dump con. Then you can go 13/16/9/16/8/13

You can't get dex to 16 till at least level 6 unless you dump con to less then 10. At level 6 you have 20 AC with 26 HP. I'm not sure how long you plan on living on the front lines with 26 HP. If paladin didn't have the 13 strength requirement it would work. Your just making an already fragile class worse.

Probably better to just make con 8 for the latter, same modifier anyway.

djreynolds
2016-11-20, 02:13 AM
It is a doable build. Though MAD, it has lots of gaming appeal. Max out dex and just use those spell slots for buffs and smites.

You could dump wis, as you will get wisdom save proficiency. You could leave con at 9 and later grab resilient con.

You are just not getting max dex and int, and a 16 int is just fine for a 1 minute long +3 AC buff. Coupled with the shield spell and say blur/protection from evil... you can last long enough to lay down some serious damage with those smites

Now for a traditional bladesinger, and with all other casters... level 18 is spell mastery... too good to pass up. And I like, IMO, eladrin free misty step once a short rest when you get grappled or need to leave.

Start 8/14/13/15/12/10. .... 8/16/13/16/12/10 five ASI/feats I prefer resilient con and max out your dex and int