PDA

View Full Version : what is a white paper?

JeenLeen
2016-11-18, 03:50 PM
In some job descriptions, I've seen the ability to write white papers being a skill they list. But I don't know what they are, and the Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_paper) page isn't too helpful.

Anyone able to illuminate what this means?

Anarion
2016-11-18, 03:54 PM
They're policy papers. I'm not sure where the term "white" came from, but it basically means an essay or research piece explaining a particular issue or topic and ways to improve it. For example, one could have a white paper about, say, how auto emissions function and you'd expect it to include research on the types of different pollution that cars create with references to scientific papers, followed by a discussion of what sorts of laws work best to improve the quality of auto manufacturing to reduce emissions. They can be on pretty much any topic though.

JeenLeen
2016-11-18, 04:18 PM
So is it basically just a formal report or paper you might share with the public or higher-ups?

Anarion
2016-11-18, 04:53 PM
So is it basically just a formal report or paper you might share with the public or higher-ups?

Typically with the public. They're put out by think tanks, advocacy organizations, law firms, corporations, and academic institutions to comment on issues.

Aedilred
2016-11-18, 07:12 PM
They're policy papers. I'm not sure where the term "white" came from, but it basically means an essay or research piece explaining a particular issue or topic and ways to improve it. For example, one could have a white paper about, say, how auto emissions function and you'd expect it to include research on the types of different pollution that cars create with references to scientific papers, followed by a discussion of what sorts of laws work best to improve the quality of auto manufacturing to reduce emissions. They can be on pretty much any topic though.

I believe that the terminology originally comes from politics where white papers are distinguished from green papers and blue books, the distinction coming from the colour of the physical document (the cover, I think).

GolemsVoice
2016-11-18, 07:59 PM
A white paper or book could also mean a paper in which an organization, a business or a government presents an idea favourably, minimizing the bad sides and risks while focusing on the best aspects. Contrast with black book which is a document specifically written to list the faults of a certain thing.

sktarq
2016-11-18, 08:07 PM
During the age of carbon copies the US government (and still in parts of the pentagon) the colour of the paper a document was written on would also be dictated by how far along it was in the approval process. Green proposals would be edited into buffs etc etc. Whites were final presentation for external use (public or other departments)

Eldest
2016-11-22, 08:04 PM

In Model United Nations, at least, there were "black" papers that were basically your real, unedited goals. I have no doubt that that's only a thing in MUN, since that's simply called "orders" in real life.

Rockphed
2016-11-28, 12:38 AM
How I have seen it used is by companies trying to explain how to use their product. The audience in that case is engineers who have a working knowledge of the field but may not be familiar with the exact technology being sold. The papers do not, per se, advocate any specific solution, but often are tailored to best express how to solve a problem with a specific hammer.

Emperor Ing
2016-11-28, 01:10 AM
Where I work, white papers are what is used for the firm to describe in detail what services they provide, to be distributed to potential clients and/or investors as sort of the cross-breed of a memo, and an advertisement. I'm sure I butchered the definition, but that's how I think of them.

lailahussain889
2016-11-29, 06:44 AM
Its all about the terms and conditions or rules and regulations for that company in which you are working.

Brother Oni
2016-11-29, 07:13 AM
Its all about the terms and conditions or rules and regulations for that company in which you are working.

Isn't that your employment contract or the company manual respectively?

veti
2016-11-29, 07:33 AM
The idea of a white paper is to present an idea or proposal in the best possible light, to get buy-in from other parties who may have their own ideas about the subject, or may know nothing at all about it. It needs to present ideas clearly and accessibly, in enough detail that the audience feels you've answered the obvious questions, but not so much that they all switch off. It may be used internally within a company (on your own management team), politically (on some external agency or authority), commercially (on your suppliers, partners, sales force), or even on the general public.

Writing them well is quite an art.

Related: a "green paper" is a discussion document. It may be released to the public, but it's meant as an invitation for opinions and feedback rather than a definite proposal.