PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating a lvl 6 Ultimate Swiss Army Spellcaster

Edgerunner
2016-11-18, 03:58 PM
party has a Barbarian, Fighter, Pali, Rogue and a Goo Warlock so we are seriously lacking in Spell versatility.

27 point buy and one Magic Item, rare or below, The campaign will deal with much stealth and large scale battles.

I know Cleric and Bard is an option but I Really want to play a Wizard this time.

Race, Stats and Magic Item

I went Deep Gnome for Stealth, Adv Darkvision, Saves vs Spells and the Stat Bonuses. Wait it's coming......

Strength 10
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 14
Chr 10
It's Still coming LOL....

For my Magic Item I went with a Headband of Intellect which grants 19 Int. BTW DM has already OKed the Int issue with goig Wiz so it's a Non-Issue.

The areas above are not negotiable, unless it's a damned fantastic idea.

Where I need help is Wiz Sub-class and spell selection to create an answer for almost any eventuality.

BTW to help with the "Any Eventuality" part I am leaning heavily towards starting lvl 1 with Knowledge Cleric for Armor, Shield, extra cantrips/spells and areas of expertise.

All suggestions are wanted and Greatly Appreciated.

clash
2016-11-18, 04:11 PM
For subclass go with divination, illusion or transmutation. Abjuration is good as well but it is more focused and less universal. For spells go hard for utility and battlefield control.

Lawful Good
2016-11-18, 05:36 PM
I love creating extremely versatile casters.

It definitely sounds like your party has enough blasty-ness, so go with spells like feather fall and the like. To make it easier, here's a list of utility spells in the PHB.

1st Level
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages (R)
Detect Magic (R)
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Find Familiar (R)
Identify (R)
Illusory Script (R)
Jump
Longstrider
Protection from Evil and Good
Tenser's Floating Disk (R)
Unseen Servant (R)

2nd Level
Alter Self
Arcane Lock
Continual Flame
Detect Thoughts
Gentle Repose (R)
Invisibility
Knock
Levitate
Locate Object
Magic Mouth (R)
Nystul's Magic Aura
Rope Trick
See Invisibility
Suggestion

3rd Level
Clairvoyance
Feign Death (R)
Fly
Gaseous Form
Glyph of Warding
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Phantom Steed (R)
Sending
Tongues
Water Breathing (R)

Note: I included spells that are technically buffs/debuffs, but can also be considered utility. This is just my opinion.

What you want to do is to pick up as many spells from that list as possible starting out. Pick rituals that you want from the list first, so the tools you have are always ready to be cast, no matter your spell slots. The cleric dip is a very good idea for a swiss army knife type character, and will help you be the versatile one for skills as well as spells.

Specialization wise, divination is probably your best choice for control, although transmutation is also versatile.

If your party thinks that you should go blasty-style instead, have them find someone else to teleport them and create magical houses instead :smalltongue:

~Hope this helps

Biggstick
2016-11-18, 07:23 PM
Not to be a debby downer or anything, but what happens if you're ever stripped of this Headband? What happens if for some reason you lose it? What happens if it gets disabled for some reason?

I'd suggest not basing your entire build's success off of an item like this. It's a different story for say a Rogue to gain Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, or something along those lines. But for your main class to be based off an item makes it too easy for the DM to cripple your character imo.

Edgerunner
2016-11-18, 09:12 PM

It definitely sounds like your party has enough blasty-ness, so go with spells like feather fall and the like. To make it easier, here's a list of utility spells in the PHB.

1st Level
Burning Hands (R)
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages (R)
Detect Magic (R)
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Find Familiar (R)
Identify (R)
Illusory Script (R)
Jump
Longstrider
Unseen Servant (R)

2nd Level
Alter Self
Arcane Lock
Continual Flame
Detect Thoughts
Gentle Repose (R)
Invisibility
Knock
Levitate
Locate Object
Magic Mouth (R)
Nystul's Magic Aura
Rope Trick
See Invisibility
Suggestion

3rd Level
Clairvoyance
Feign Death (R)
Fly
Gaseous Form
Glyph of Warding
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Phantom Steed (R)
Sending
Tongues
Water Breathing (R)

Note: I included spells that are technically buffs/debuffs, but can also be considered utility. This is just my opinion.

What you want to do is to pick up as many spells from that list as possible starting out. Pick rituals that you want from the list first, so the tools you have are always ready to be cast, no matter your spell slots. The cleric dip is a very good idea for a swiss army knife type character, and will help you be the versatile one for skills as well as spells.

Specialization wise, divination is probably your best choice for control, although transmutation is also versatile.

If your party thinks that you should go blasty-style instead, have them find someone else to teleport them and create magical houses instead :smalltongue:

~Hope this helps

Many Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Between your ideas and Treantmonk's Wizard guide I now have a Solid plan.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-19, 02:56 AM

1st Level
Burning Hands (R)
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages (R)
Detect Magic (R)
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Find Familiar (R)
Identify (R)
Illusory Script (R)
Jump
Longstrider
Unseen Servant (R)

2nd Level
Alter Self
Arcane Lock
Continual Flame
Detect Thoughts
Gentle Repose (R)
Invisibility
Knock
Levitate
Locate Object
Magic Mouth (R)
Nystul's Magic Aura
Rope Trick
See Invisibility
Suggestion

3rd Level
Clairvoyance
Feign Death (R)
Fly
Gaseous Form
Glyph of Warding
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Phantom Steed (R)
Sending
Tongues
Water Breathing (R)

~Hope this helps

...Am I just confused, or did you put "Burning Hands" as a utility spell? And if I'm not wrong, you also classed it as a ritual spell. For some strange reason, I get the feeling that it wasn't on purpose, either...

Lawful Good
2016-11-19, 11:46 AM
...Am I just confused, or did you put "Burning Hands" as a utility spell? And if I'm not wrong, you also classed it as a ritual spell. For some strange reason, I get the feeling that it wasn't on purpose, either...

My bad. Fixed.

Specter
2016-11-19, 11:49 AM
Abjurer deals well with physical damage (ward and Shield), area damage (ward and Absorb Elements) and spellcasters (buffed counterspell), so that would be my choice. If not, Diviner, because Portent has no boundaries.