PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Charismatic Warrior Type

Thurbane
2016-11-18, 07:03 PM
Hey all,

Looking for some general advice on a vague build idea I have.

I want a charismatic warrior type, with the following conditions:

- (close to) full BAB
- no casting
- want to have all (or most) of the "social" skill as class skills (Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge [local] and Sense Motive)
- have a decent amount of skill points

...I'm thinking Crusader with feats to pick up the missing skills. Thoughts?

Cheers - T

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-18, 07:38 PM
Yep, sounds good. Human crusader with Nymph's Kiss gets 6 skill points per level at 10 int, so with added intelligence you can even buy Tumble and stuff.

If you are willing to lose some base attack, levels in marshal and warlock/DFA are good for face-types, and there's always paladin and battle dancer dips if you want charisma-to-everything synergy. Bind Vestige for Naberius is nice, as is Shape Soulmeld (Silvertongue Mask, Truthseeker Goggles, Brass Mane), but you'd want some essentia with that.

Troacctid
2016-11-18, 07:43 PM
There are a few prestige classes that have Charisma synergies, like Dread Pirate, Hellreaver, Crimson Scourge, Knight of the Sacred Seal, Pyrokineticist, and Scarlet Corsair, but you probably won't do better than straight Crusader.

Get yourself some Fearsome armor (DrU) and maybe take the Imperious Command feat (also DrU) so you can Intimidate like a boss. Frightful Presence (Dr) is also good for crowd control.

Thurbane
2016-11-18, 07:48 PM
Crusader gets Diplomacy and Initmidate as a base.

City Slicker adds Gather Information and Knowledge (local).

I could always go Able Learner - it wouldn't raise the max ranks on cross class skills (unless I dip Marshal or similar), but at least I could buy them for 1 point/rank.

LordOfCain
2016-11-18, 07:48 PM
Perhaps battle dancer would work? I recall that that had some Cha synergy.
EDIT: Ugh... got swordsage'd....

gorfnab
2016-11-18, 11:28 PM
Here is a build I recommend to someone some time ago looking for a Cha based battle leader type build.

Marshal 2/ Barbarian (Spirit Totem: Lion ACF -CC, Wolf Totem ACF - UA, Whirling Frenzy ACF - UA, City Brawler - Drag#349, Skilled City Dweller {Ride for Tumble} (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)) 2/ Paladin of Freedom 3/ Warrior Skald (RoF) 3/ Warchanter (CW) 10

ben-zayb
2016-11-19, 07:21 AM
Can you just ignore the spellcasting ability of a bard? A Human/Azurin/Illumian/Changeling Bard 1 / Crusader X should be decent enough.

Otherwise, I'd replace the Bard dip with Rogue, and will likely Go changeling.

Anthrowhale
2016-11-19, 07:31 AM
Iajutsu Master 5 gives 3.5+Chr to damage 9 times and +Chr to initiative.

Inevitability
2016-11-19, 11:31 AM
Be a killoren/duskling/jermlaine/faun/unseelie fey, take Charming the Arrow, and go archer?

If you're okay with non-casting but magical characters, a binder specializing in archery (with Leraje, for one) would be an unique character concept that's pretty charisma SAD. Later on, you can go into Knight of the Sacred Seal and gain heavy armor prof, further reducing the dexterity need.

The Viscount
2016-11-19, 02:04 PM
I'd second the recommendation of a little bit of marshal for skills and motivate [stat] if skills are your game. Some Urban Ranger (or ranger with skilled city dweller and the similar web acfs) might also fit here. Also definitely add one of my favorite items, gauntlets of heartfelt blows for cha to damage as fire.

Thurbane
2016-11-19, 05:57 PM
OK, so I'm leaning towards Marshal 2/Crusader X. (2 levels of Marshal to get +1 IL). Able Learner to carry over all the Marshal skills to Crusader.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-19, 07:44 PM
OK, so I'm leaning towards Marshal 2/Crusader X. (2 levels of Marshal to get +1 IL). Able Learner to carry over all the Marshal skills to Crusader.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I think the second marshal level is pretty meagre, even if it gives you a round IL. Battle Dancer 1 is better, as is trade-everything barbarian or cleric (turn undead is cha-based! get a devotion feat!). Dump wisdom to 9 if you don't want to be able to cast spells (crusader provides cha to will saves, so you're pretty safe without wisdom).

Metahuman1
2016-11-20, 11:13 PM
Also worth considering:

1 level Warblade dip for Iron Heart Maneuver's, some of which are good fluff and mechanically. (Or for white raven maneuver's and diamond mind concentration to save counters, which are also good.)

2 Levels of swordsage: snag the Astetic Mage feat and get Cha to AC while in light armor. And more maneuver's.

1 Level of Witch Hunter (PrC from OA.). Get Cha to all saves that stacks with both Divine Grace and the Crusader Cha to will saves class feature.

Ezekiul
2016-11-22, 09:47 AM
What about Harmonious (CV web) Paladin 5/Marshal 1/Ordained Champion 2/Crusader X

Using Snowflake wardance, divine might, and TWF?

Cha to attack through snowflake, paladin smite, and OC smite
Cha to damage from divine might
Cha to saves
Cha bonus to whatever you select as an aura

Potential for Dragonfire inspiration optimization

Would burn through turn attempts pretty quick though

Inevitability
2016-11-22, 10:18 AM

Just pack a few Fuel Rods or, as they are better known, 'Nightsticks'. :smalltongue:

remetagross
2016-11-22, 10:57 AM
What about Harmonious (CV web) Paladin 5/Marshal 1/Ordained Champion 2/Crusader X

Using Snowflake wardance, divine might, and TWF?

Cha to attack through snowflake, paladin smite, and OC smite
Cha to damage from divine might
Cha to saves
Cha bonus to whatever you select as an aura

Potential for Dragonfire inspiration optimization

I was thinking about a Harmonious Knight too :) but with From Smite to Song to gain Inspire Courage (and there Dragonfire Inspiration works too), and then Warrior Skald, for getting all the Bardic Musics at once, but with full BAB. Taking a Silverbrow Human gives the Dragonblood subtype and thus, the Draconic Aura feat gives a scaling bonus. A little less capable in and of itself, but a better support guy.

Cerefel
2016-11-22, 04:32 PM
There's a handbook for this called the Dashing Hero Handbook (on mobile so no link). It combines well with certain parts of the A-Game Paladin.

nettle3305
2016-11-22, 04:53 PM
If you run Imperious Command, don't forget the skill trick Never Outnumbered. It lets you intimidate everyone within 10 ft.

Pyromancer999
2016-11-23, 08:55 AM
If you run Imperious Command, don't forget the skill trick Never Outnumbered. It lets you intimidate everyone within 10 ft.

If going an Intimidate Route, Zhentarim Fighter levels are nice, although the 5th and 9th are where it gets interesting.