PDA

View Full Version : Silence and Shout

Isomenes
2007-07-14, 02:14 AM
A shout spell cannot penetrate a silence spell.

When Shout is level 4 and Silence is level 2, why is this so? It's twice the level!

If a bard is caught in an area of silence, it seems like he's almost helpless until he can get out of its range. What is a good way to negate the effects of a Silence spell (barring Dispel Magic)? Obviously potions and wands are a useful workaround, but are there any magic items that can help to ward against this sort of nastiness as stopgap contingencies?

Dhavaer
2007-07-14, 02:17 AM
There's a spell called, I think, verbalise that allows you to speak in an area of silence.

SithLackey
2007-07-14, 07:23 AM
Vocalize, yes. However, I just checked the SRD and it's not there, so you might have to go looking for it.

Swooper
2007-07-14, 07:32 AM
Silent Spell?

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-14, 07:34 AM
Silent Spell?

...That doesn't help. The fact of the matter is that sonic energy doesn't work in the radius of a silence spell. And rightly so, too, as sonic energy is (wait for it)... sound.

Isomenes
2007-07-14, 07:53 AM
Excellent, Dhavaer, that was enough to get me a link from Google:

It's apparently an old second edition spell (http://p222.ezboard.com/Simple-spell-to-counter-silence/fokayyourturnfrm14.showMessage?topicID=5054.topic) . But the post said it's replaced by the Silent Spell feat, which is, well, not an option for a bard :)

However, the thread also references Joyful noise from CAd, which I'd completely forgotten about. It looks best used to enspell a wondrous item, freeing up the bard to do actually useful things like cast spells instead of concentrating.

Thanks!

KIDS
2007-07-14, 08:20 AM
There is a 1st or 2nd level bard spell named Joyful Noise or something like that (Complete Adventurer?), which allows him to create a small field of "anti-silence" centered on him. Within that field the two cancel out each other and sound works normally.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-14, 08:41 AM
If a bard is caught in an area of silence, it seems like he's almost helpless until he can get out of its range.

Bards do have other options than spellcasting and singing, you know.

Isomenes
2007-07-15, 12:10 AM
Bards do have other options than spellcasting and singing, you know.

Of course, but I don't wave around my d6 HD that cavalierly. Straight bards are squishy, and I haven't gone the battle bard route.

ByeLindgren
2007-07-15, 12:55 AM
Shout is pretty lame for its level, honestly, so I wouldn't exactly mind houseruling it as a counter/dispeller of Silence, so long as you can actually cast the spell. Makes sense to me, anyway. Ask your DM.

Another thing: Silent Shout just seems silly.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-15, 01:06 AM
I'd rule that Silence is countered and dispelled by(and vice versa, for Sonic spells of a lower level that last longer than instant) any spell with a [Sonic] descriptor of equal or higher level. Maybe with "Greater Silence" at higher levels.:smallwink: