PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mystic Ranger Build Assistance

Sir.Hawk
2016-11-19, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm new here and have been reading through many posts for help on past games.
Now I figured I'd join and see if I could get a bit of assistance.

We're in a 3.5e custom campaign and my DM has been kind enough to let me redo my character to help round out the party.
My character is now an Elf Level 5 with Mystic Ranger 4/ Wizard 1
For all intensive purposes he'll be a 'new' character so he can take any feats that designate level one only.
I've got his archery side fairly rounded but I'm having a hard time figuring out good feats to compliment the Wizardry side he'll be taking a heavy dip into.

I'll be taking Sword of the Arcane Order along with the Elven Substitution level for Generalist Wizard and the Level 4 Sub for Elf Ranger to gain Improved Spellcasting.

Anyone have tips for suggested feats, possible level 1-2 spells that might be useful mainly for buffing our tank or homebrewing spells into arrows for bonus effects :smallbiggrin:

Jowgen
2016-11-19, 09:58 AM
The Arcane Hunter ACF from complete mage, which gives you all arcane casters and invocation users as a favored enemy, would fit both thematically and build wise. Optimizing the FE bonus is relatively simple with the right combo of items and other ACFs (which might take some wiggling with the Mystic Ranger, but should be doable), and combos really well with your ranged combat by adding some much needed oomph against a very common type of opponent.

Darrin
2016-11-19, 10:52 AM
Anyone have tips for suggested feats, possible level 1-2 spells that might be useful mainly for buffing our tank or homebrewing spells into arrows for bonus effects

Nemesis would be good with the Arcane Hunter ACF, allowing you to pinpoint invisible spellcasters.

I'd also consider taking Ancestral Relic for an Elvencraft Composite Longbow (with two wand chambers). This allows you to convert loot into weapon enhancements at 1:1 ratio.

As far as wizard-type feats...? Mystic Ranger 4 has 2nd level spells, so... Reserve feat maybe? Hrrm. I like Acidic Splatter, but you're already an archer. Uh... Sudden Extend is usually my go-to when I can't think of anything for a spellcaster.

lylsyly
2016-11-19, 11:35 AM
I'd also consider taking Ancestral Relic for an Elvencraft Composite Longbow (with two wand chambers). This allows you to convert loot into weapon enhancements at 1:1 ratio.

I learn something nice every time I log in here, TY Darrin.

DarkSoul
2016-11-19, 01:25 PM
Ask your DM to exchange the spells on the mystic ranger spell list that affect natural weapons for their normal counterparts (magic fang for magic weapon, align fang for align weapon, etc.). You don't have an animal companion so the "fang" spells will likely be useless to you.

Also, look in Champions of Ruin for more arrow spells. Some of them are pretty good. For arcane spells, True Strike, Blur, Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Glitterdust, See Invisibility, and Darkvision jump out at me from the PHB.

darksolitaire
2016-11-19, 02:00 PM
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Hi everyone.
My character is now an Elf Level 5 with Mystic Ranger 4/ Wizard 1
For all intensive purposes he'll be a 'new' character so he can take any feats that designate level one only.
I've got his archery side fairly rounded but I'm having a hard time figuring out good feats to compliment the Wizardry side he'll be taking a heavy dip into.

I'll be taking Sword of the Arcane Order along with the Elven Substitution level for Generalist Wizard and the Level 4 Sub for Elf Ranger to gain Improved Spellcasting.

May I inquire why you are taking Wizard at all, since it delays your access to Mystic Ranger spells, and you can already prepare Wizard spells into your ranger spell slots? What does this character look as it gains more levels?

animewatcha
2016-11-20, 01:01 AM
combination of shooting star sub level and sword of arcane order feat. Let's say you run the mystic ranger = full caster levels.

4 mystic / 1 wiz.

With shooting star sub first part , mystic ranger 4 + 2 to start out. Wizard side, due to sword of arcane order, does ranger + wizard class levels ( aka 5 ). Due to second part of shooting star sub. It would turn into adding wizard caster level to ranger side to determine caster level for ranger spells. In this case, 4 + 2 + 5. So mystic ranger 4 / wizard 1 would have caster level of ranger 11 and caster level of wizard 5. This goes higher faster if you choose to keep ranger class levels even to after ranger 10.

Sir.Hawk
2016-11-20, 03:01 AM
May I inquire why you are taking Wizard at all, since it delays your access to Mystic Ranger spells, and you can already prepare Wizard spells into your ranger spell slots? What does this character look as it gains more levels?

I'm relatively new with this setup and after my research found that it's heavily debated whether or not I'd gain access to the Wizard spell list as the interpretation has been shown to go either way. For balancing issues, my DM opted against so taking at least a dip will give me the spellbook and the access I'd need to use them in my Ranger slots.
The other question I did have was if my Ranger spell level scaled for using Wizard spells in those slots. ie, replace 4th level Ranger slot for a 4th level Wizard spell.
If it works in that way I'd follow Ranger progression either until end campaign or soon into a PrC that would continue spell casting progression, I wouldn't mind eventual access to 1-2 high level Wizard spells a day.