PDA

View Full Version : What is to much magic iteams

Sir cryosin
2016-11-19, 11:34 AM
So I have a bad habit of giving out magic items like I'm Oprah. My party is 5th lv we have had 5 sessions and I have givin them.
3 gems of elemental summon
A scroll of magic missile lv1
A scroll of melf's acid arrow 2ed lv
A scroll of fireball 3rd lv
5 bars of a magic metal
A cottenball of stealth
A staff of warding
Magical banged rap (aka magical bandaid)
3 daggers of lighting aka javelin of lighting
A belt of returning any thing attached to it that is draw and thrown returns.
Bag of holding
A potion of fire breath
A potion of enlarge
They also found to large creates full of Alchemist fire but used most of them to get out of the Thieves Guild hideout. And have maybe 20. They also have about 500 or 600 gold each. The part is half orc paladin vengeance he has king Arthur's back story keep bugging me to give him Excalibur.
Half orc fighter battlemaster he's a good easy going player. A dwarf revenant death cleric fiend warlock good roleplayer easy to DM for because he also DMs a different group. A monk open fist he just joined he's best friend with fighter irl. I have a couple of other players but they haven't been there for the last few sessions.

Arcangel4774
2016-11-19, 11:45 AM
If you find you give them too much magic items, give them the need to burn through or use them. Up the difficult, give them an objective where it's unlikely they'd succeed without the items use.

On dealing with Arthur, have you ever seen Soul Eater? A cameo from that Excalibur would turn his pestering around.

Sir cryosin
2016-11-19, 12:00 PM
If you find you give them too much magic items, give them the need to burn through or use them. Up the difficult, give them an objective where it's unlikely they'd succeed without the items use.

On dealing with Arthur, have you ever seen Soul Eater? A cameo from that Excalibur would turn his pestering around.

Bahaha that would be funny to do that Excalibur.

ClintACK
2016-11-19, 01:54 PM
So I have a bad habit of giving out magic items like I'm Oprah. My party is 5th lv we have had 5 sessions and I have givin them.
5 bars of a magic metal
A cottenball of stealth
A staff of warding
Bag of holding
A potion of fire breath
A potion of enlarge
They also found to large creates full of Alchemist fire but used most of them to get out of the Thieves Guild hideout. And have maybe 20. They also have about 500 or 600 gold each. The part is half orc paladin vengeance he has king Arthur's back story keep bugging me to give him Excalibur.
Half orc fighter battlemaster he's a good easy going player. A dwarf revenant death cleric fiend warlock good roleplayer easy to DM for because he also DMs a different group. A monk open fist he just joined he's best friend with fighter irl. I have a couple of other players but they haven't been there for the last few sessions.

Most of these are single-use items. Just give them some sequential battles where they're running out of even short-rest spell slots... and put them in situations where those items would be perfect.

Defending a bridge crossing where dozens of wimpy fearless minions are charging? Your fighter is going to feel *awesome* after drinking that potion of fire breath. And Melf's Acid Arrow is really going to come in handy when they fight a fire-immune troll and need to make it stay dead. And so on.

Remember that you're not *punishing* the party -- you're giving them opportunities for a Character Moment of Awesome that they'll be talking about for years. ("Those fanatical death-cult kobolds just kept coming as my fiery breath charred wave after wave...")

Malifice
2016-11-19, 02:01 PM
So I have a bad habit of giving out magic items like I'm Oprah.

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Oprah-You-Get-A.jpg

You get a holy avenger! And you get a holy avenger! Everybody gets a holy avenger!

My party is 5th lv we have had 5 sessions and I have givin them.
5 bars of a magic metal
A cottenball of stealth
A staff of warding
Bag of holding
A potion of fire breath
A potion of enlarge

Way too much for mine. Its tempting for novice DMs to hand out loot, but avoid Monty Haul campaigns.

You gotta find a balance where magic items (and gold) is rare enough to be special, and PC have enough loot, but not too much.

FreddyNoNose
2016-11-19, 02:04 PM
https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Oprah-You-Get-A.jpg

You get a holy avenger! And you get a holy avenger! Everybody gets a holy avenger!.
Hey I was in that game! First game three level 1 paladins and the DM had each of them start with one.

Sir cryosin
2016-11-19, 02:40 PM
I gave them the scrolls and gems because they are all melee focused and my encounters get a little crazy because I like to use groups and very Mobile monsters. I like to use them because when I throw a single monster. They have it dead around turn 1 or 2 and it's not very exciting. The potions I rolled for they found them in a casters place.

Malifice
2016-11-19, 02:42 PM
I gave them the scrolls and gems because they are all melee focused and my encounters get a little crazy because I like to use groups and very Mobile monsters. I like to use them because when I throw a single monster. They have it dead around turn 1 or 2 and it's not very exciting. The potions I rolled for they found them in a casters place.

5e isnt really built for solo [non legendary] monsters.

You want to throw mook heavy [plus a heavy or two] encounter at them. Or multiple low level threats [like Thugs].

Laughingdagger
2016-11-19, 02:59 PM
To be perfectly honest none of the magic items you've given them bar the gems of elemental summoning seem too much to me.

All of those items are either consumables, utility, or versatility, except for the daggers and belt, which are cool and offensive, and at level 5 pretty reasonable.

It really depends on how much magic is in your setting. I find the amount of magic in your setting based upon the amount and severity of items you've given them completely fine since I like my campaigns to be on the above average level for how common magic is.

If you'd given them all magic arms and armor there might be more of an issue, but as it stands I don't think there's anything wrong.

If you want to tone it down maybe just lower the frequency by half.

Sir cryosin
2016-11-19, 04:17 PM
The Magic in my world is on the level between Forgotten Realms and Ebbran. For example the city of that they're in right now. Felhilm is a city populated with spellcasters. The city itself sits upon a floating mass of land that is about the size of the Gulf of Mexico. Years passed a whole bunch of great Wizards and Sorcerers and other spellcasters got together and rip this chunk of land out of the ground to create a prison for the Tarrasque. The city is held in the air by gargantuan magical chains. Under the land mass is now a vast lake. We're the Tarrasque slumbers. And another great City with in my world is the city of the Dead where necromancy is practice and open and you can find zombies skeletons and other Undead working for the city around the city. So my campaign world is high Magic.

Sigreid
2016-11-19, 04:42 PM
In answer to the question, too much magic items is when they start interfering with the game fun.

JumboWheat01
2016-11-19, 06:07 PM
When magic items start becoming vendor trash, then you're handing out too many. Though single-use items can be given a plenty, provided you give reasons for their use. Otherwise they either become that item you hold onto just in case, or vendor trash.