PDA

View Full Version : A good legendary prize to give to my players

The_Iron_Lord
2016-11-19, 06:23 PM
Hello!

In my campaign, there is a series of tournaments for the king's coronation. Two of them (battle and arcane) are basically over, but the final one, the survival tournament, is about to start. It is a free-for-all of sorts, with survival elements, in a huge demiplane. There are 12 teams, and each has one of three colors of gems. In the middle of the demiplane, there is a dungeon/temple with the best loot, and a door that can only be opened by a combination of all three gems. What should I put in that door? It's the ultimate prize...
Thank you in advance for your help!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: By the way, the group is level 5

Eurus
2016-11-19, 07:27 PM
It's the tournament of Survival, so perhaps... an extra life? Some sort of magical location or relic that lets the winning party pick up a get-out-of-death-free card?

JoshuaZ
2016-11-19, 07:35 PM
How unique do you want the item to be? What major deities are in the setting? Do you have any long-term plans for the PCs? Any legendary BBEGs around? How high level is the general campaign world? Do you want an item that is usable by everyone in the party or something more tailored? All these questions are relevant to what sort of item makes sense.

Deepbluediver
2016-11-19, 08:39 PM
I don't know if this would be sufficient, but something that came up in a campaign I was in once was "a day's worth of time". Essentially it was a one-time use item that was the equivalent of 24 hours rest. You recovered HP, got all your spell slots back, refreshed any abilities, etc. The version we got only worked on one person so we gave it to our cleric I think (we were low level and needed the HP back from healing spells) but I'm sure creative players could find a way to make good use of it. Maybe something like that would work?

The_Iron_Lord
2016-11-19, 08:40 PM
It's the tournament of Survival, so perhaps... an extra life? Some sort of magical location or relic that lets the winning party pick up a get-out-of-death-free card?
I'm sorry...I didn't make this clear...It is a tournament hosted by mortals, and reviving is given to contestants, and they pay afterwards. Though...a revival pact spell item or something might work, maybe...

How unique do you want the item to be? What major deities are in the setting?
There are a fair few major deities in the setting, all made up. In terms of uniqueness...Quite unique, but not minor artifact level.

Do you have any long-term plans for the PCs? Any legendary BBEGs around?
This is in a spoiler so my players who are on this forum don't see(If you are Istalri, the gray elf, or Ithilin Engos, don't look.)
They will go some adventures after this, then get drafted for a war with a northern continent. They will end up in a sort of world war, then have to battle devils from an interplanar "once every ten millenia" rift.

How high level is the general campaign world?
The general populace is levels 1-2ish, but characters with levels above ten or higher do exist, and so do epics. Not very many, though.

Do you want an item that is usable by everyone in the party or something more tailored?
Probably...I'm not sure if I want to do something that is good for everybody, or a one thing for each person...

EDIT:

I don't know if this would be sufficient, but something that came up in a campaign I was in once was "a day's worth of time". Essentially it was a one-time use item that was the equivalent of 24 hours rest. You recovered HP, got all your spell slots back, refreshed any abilities, etc. The version we got only worked on one person so we gave it to our cleric I think (we were low level and needed the HP back from healing spells) but I'm sure creative players could find a way to make good use of it. Maybe something like that would work?
That's actually a pretty cool idea, but...I don't know...I want it to seem like a very cool prize they got from(at least possibly) defeating many opponents of a higher level in teams...I might use that though.

JoshuaZ
2016-11-19, 09:29 PM
Given that it is for a king's coronation, it could be an object which identifies them to any member of the government as people favored by the king?