PDA

View Full Version : DCFS + Wizard DGP: I know it's cheesy but is it legal according to RAW? (3.5)

SirNibbles
2016-11-19, 08:54 PM
Wizard ACF: Domain Granted Power (CC pg 52)

Exchange your bonus feat at level 5/10/15/20 to get: You get the granted abilities of a cleric domain.

The War Domain granted ability gives you two feats (Weapon Focus/Weapon Spec). DGP does not seem to limit you, allowing you to take the same Domain multiple times.

PHB, pg 89 implies that you can have the same feat multiple times and it simply won't stack.

Let's say you don't have the ability to DCFS until you can personally cast the spells so at level 5, 10, and 15, you end up taking DGP and gaining the same two feats, three times each.

Would you then be able to DCFS to get 6 unique, usable feats? Is it worth the loss of the bonus feats at lower levels in order to get, essentially, 3 extra feats?

nettle3305
2016-11-19, 09:30 PM
An interesting idea. Based on the SRD (source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm)), I'd question the step where you take the War Domain multiple times.

Each domain gives the cleric access to a domain spell at each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up, as well as a granted power.

So, my guess is this:

The feats gained are the 'granted power'.
Taking the War Domain multiple times does not give multiple domains; it gives the same domain each time. Alternatively, it is not RAW to take the same domain more than once.
Granted powers are given per domain. But since you have only the one (and same) War Domain, you only gain the granted power once.

So the possible point of contention is 2. Some soft support for 2 is the common notion that non-distinct things do not usually stack. For slightly stronger support, consider a wizard who uses the DGP ACF to gain the Air Domain, then gains the Air Domain again via the Rainbow Servant PRC. It seems unusual that the RAI ruling would stack turn attempts from both Air Domains.

Moreover, a quick glance over PRCs giving bonus domains suggests that the structure of choosing a bonus domain is less like gaining an ability and more like gaining access to. As far as I can tell, the possibility of taking the same domain more than once is not even considered. This supplies circumstantial evidence that this is not RAW.