PDA

View Full Version : Fiction Fight

WhatIsGravity
2007-07-14, 05:55 AM
Discuss any interesting match-ups you would like to see. Bonus* if you can get a picture.

http://holonesquik.free.fr/Wolverine%20VS%20Darth%20Maul.jpg

*Contains nothing.

Green Bean
2007-07-14, 06:52 AM
In this battle, both sides have mystical powers augmented by mechanical protection. Who will win? You decide...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/DV-vs-DD-LMS.jpg

Is this not the greatest picture ever? :smallcool:

commander43
2007-07-18, 06:49 PM
In this battle, both sides have mystical powers augmented by mechanical protection. Who will win? You decide...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/DV-vs-DD-LMS.jpg

I'm going to have to go with my comic geek roots and say that Doom would kick Vader squarely where the sun don't shine.

2007-07-18, 08:00 PM
John McLane vs. The Death Star (I vote McLane)

Roland Deschain vs. The Man With No Name (I vote Roland)

Gordon Freeman vs. Master Chief (I vote Freeman)

The Matrix Robots vs. The Terminator Robots (I vote Terminators)

Samuel Vimes vs. Dirty Harry (No guns)

Sherlock Holmes vs. Dr. Doom (I vote Holmes)

Lancelot vs. Miko (I vote Miko [to my everlasting shame])

JellyPooga
2007-07-19, 09:59 AM
MacGyver vs. The A-Team

Scenario: Both sides start completely unarmed. They are on opposite sides of an entire planet full of junk and are the sole inhabitants. They fight (Who cares why? Maybe the government hired MacGyver to hunt down the A-Team or something).

Result: The A-Team construct a hideously complex trap for Mac-G with giant robots, false signs, machine guns, pit falls, guard towers, lasers and all sorts...MacGyver just sneaks in, disables the lot and takes out the A-Team with a lighter, some bog-roll and a damp water biscuit....that's what I think anyway.

Jibar
2007-07-19, 10:44 AM

That picture is so great, it just became my new background.

Anyway, fight I wanna see...

Sherlock Holmes versus Phoenix Wright in one of Miss Marple's adventures.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-21, 12:23 AM
Lancelot vs. Miko (I vote Miko [to my everlasting shame])

Of course Miko would win. Lancelot wouldn't even defend himself. He would never hit a girl, he's too chivalrous...:smalltongue:

Hell Puppi
2007-07-21, 12:40 AM
For some reason I have the urge to see the pope vs. anyone....

Bible fight!

Dhavaer
2007-07-21, 12:58 AM
The United Federation of Planets vs the Xeelee.

Because I don't like any doubt as to who wins. Baryonic Lords of Matter FTW!

BRC
2007-07-21, 01:56 AM
Star Wars Imperials Vs The Imperium Of Man
My vote, Imperium all the way, space marines would storm the death star and give it to the adeptus Mechanius

Hell Puppi
2007-07-21, 02:00 AM
Space marines *shudder*

Ooooh pope vs space marines.....

Dhavaer
2007-07-21, 02:14 AM
Star Wars Imperials Vs The Imperium Of Man
My vote, Imperium all the way, space marines would storm the death star and give it to the adeptus Mechanius

Space fight or surface? Imperium ships have good weapons output, but they don't have the firing rate to match Star Destroyers. Unless the Warp is stilled somehow their FTL isn't fast enough either.
On the ground, though, the Imperium is probably stronger.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-21, 03:30 AM
Space fight or surface? Imperium ships have good weapons output, but they don't have the firing rate to match Star Destroyers. Unless the Warp is stilled somehow their FTL isn't fast enough either.
On the ground, though, the Imperium is probably stronger.

The Imperium's navy is effectivly infinate while the Empire's navy manages to survive in sufficient numbers for decades after the Empire's defeat. Its hard to say which is bigger.

Don't compare Stormtroopers to Space Marines. Compare Imperial Guard to Stormtroopers. The Empire has a confusing collection of elite troops from various expanded universe sources.

BRC
2007-07-21, 01:46 PM
Well you also have to consider how much the imperium is putting towrds fighting the empire. My impression of the Imperium is that they are capable of crushing preety much any single enemy (say, the tau empire) into the ground if they focused all their resources towrds it, overwhelming them wiht sheer weight of numbers. However, they can't because doing them exposes them to attack from all their Other enemies.

Nevrmore
2007-07-21, 02:03 PM
Gordon Freeman vs. Master Chief (I vote Freeman)
Are you crazy? Master Chief would own Freeman's ass eight ways to Sunday.

Jibar
2007-07-21, 02:11 PM
Are you crazy? Master Chief would own Freeman's ass eight ways to Sunday.

We had a huuuuge thread about this a while back.
Nothing got agreed. Ever.

Nevrmore
2007-07-21, 02:17 PM
We had a huuuuge thread about this a while back.
Nothing got agreed. Ever.
I guess I seem as bad as them for saying something like that, then. But come on, Freeman is a nerdy scientist in a cool suit. Chief is the very best of a herd of genetically-trained super soldiers that is wearing a suit so powerful that it would crush any normal man who attempted to wear it.

Jibar
2007-07-21, 02:24 PM
I guess I seem as bad as them for saying something like that, then. But come on, Freeman is a nerdy scientist in a cool suit. Chief is the very best of a herd of genetically-trained super soldiers that is wearing a suit so powerful that it would crush any normal man who attempted to wear it.

Yeah, so not a good idea.
Even when neither was given any advantage in any way whatsoever was anything decided.
I seem to remember Venom and Carnage sneaking into that thread somehow. I might go look it up.

Nevrmore
2007-07-21, 02:29 PM
Well, whatever damage I could have inflicted is done.

Venom and Carnage is an interesting one, too, even though Carnage is basically Venom but crazier. That gives him an advantage, really.

Jibar
2007-07-21, 02:32 PM
Venom and Carnage was me, I can remember that much.

Anyway, a more on topic kind of situation going, and one I doubt any Americans will know.

Brum vs Herbie.

Megalomaniac2
2007-07-21, 02:59 PM
Bun-bun vs. Belkar Bitterleaf

Goa'uld System Lords (led by Anubis) vs. Galactic Empire (led by Palpatine)

CTU vs. Hans Gruber and co.

Sauron's Mordor versus Thrall's Horde.

Randall Flagg versus Nyarlathotep

From Buffy: Glory versus Caleb.

These things are addictive, I'll have more soon. A great site for them is
here: http://www.electricferret.com/fights/

ElfLad
2007-07-21, 03:09 PM
Sherlock Holmes versus Phoenix Wright in one of Miss Marple's adventures.

Edgeworth vs. Wright.

Steel cage, no holds barred.

Nevrmore
2007-07-21, 08:44 PM
Edgeworth vs. Wright.

Steel cage, no holds barred.
Karma would bust in in the middle of the fight and own them both.

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 09:04 PM

Photino birds in sneaky, last-minute upset victory when they rush the ring, brain the Xeelee with a steel chair and then eat the sun in celebration. :smallbiggrin:

Also sigged. :smallcool:

Here's a couple of more obscure scifi geek ones for ya: the Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn trilogy) vs. the Omega Clouds ("Engines of God").

The Shrike ("Hyperion") vs. the Rix ("Risen Empire")

Hell Puppi
2007-07-22, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE=
Sauron's Mordor versus Thrall's Horde.

Randall Flagg versus Nyarlathotep
[/QUOTE]

Ohhh.... I have to say Nyarlathotep, just because of what happened to Flagg...I'd have to say Nrathey

Hmmm....Mordor. Because they're cooler, no other reason

factotum
2007-07-22, 01:38 AM
Minsc from "Baldur's Gate" versus the Nameless One from "Planescape: Torment".

JellyPooga
2007-07-22, 07:03 AM
Minsc from "Baldur's Gate" versus the Nameless One from "Planescape: Torment".

Uh, bit of a no-brainer I feel...

"Minsc smites you for goodness!" [dealing 12 bajillion damage]

[Nameless One dies. A few minutes later, he gets back up] "Ow. That really hurt. Now it's my turn"

Jibar
2007-07-22, 07:44 AM
Huh, another thought.

Thunder Cats vs He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Followed by:

Mum-Ra vs Skeletor

Then for a nice side dish, Captain Pollution vs Al Gore.

Quezovercoatl
2007-07-22, 10:24 AM

From Spacebattles.com I present you with the Covered “Vlad Tepes Award For Senseless Violence And Unnecessary Cruelty”

But if you really want a fight with absolutely no doubt about the winner, one more one sided than the Eldar vs. Minbari, Culture vs. Galactic Empire or the God Empire Of Man vs. a coconut. A curbstomp of Truly Infinite proportions. (http://forum.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=106077)

Though a more even Xeelee Fight I would like to see would be against the Machine UI of the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

Amotis
2007-07-22, 05:31 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/star.jpg

ElfLad
2007-07-22, 11:00 PM
Karma would bust in in the middle of the fight and own them both.

Manfred or Franziska?

Also:

Carmen Sandiego vs. Waldo

Hell Puppi
2007-07-22, 11:02 PM
They would both just hide from each other.

ElfLad
2007-07-22, 11:03 PM
They would both just hide from each other.

Yes.

That was the whole point of the joke.

Dhavaer
2007-07-22, 11:26 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/star.jpg

I give the Enterprise five more seconds of existence at most.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-07-22, 11:32 PM
V (from V for Vendetta) vs. Rorschach (From Watchmen)

Who wins? I have no idea. Any guesses?

Dhavaer
2007-07-22, 11:33 PM
V (from V for Vendetta) vs. Rorschach (From Watchmen)

Who wins? I have no idea. Any guesses?

Isn't V an enhanced human?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-07-22, 11:35 PM
It's hinted that he might be. However, if you've read Watchmen, that probably wouldn't actually bother Rorschach that much. He's good at creative solutions to seemingly impossible stuff.

Also, because it's been a running joke between my friend and I for so long...

Chuck Norris vs. Captain Planet.

Dhavaer
2007-07-22, 11:38 PM
Rorschach couldn't land a hit on Ozymandias, who is peak human. V is an enhanced human. I'm definately saying V takes this one.

ElfLad
2007-07-23, 04:28 AM
The 4400 vs. The 300

WhatIsGravity
2007-07-23, 05:26 AM

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Arang
2007-07-23, 05:59 AM
Optimus Prime versus a Mad Cat.

Green Bean
2007-07-23, 06:31 AM
Unicron vs. Galactus.

Megalomaniac2
2007-07-23, 11:35 AM
Unicron vs. Galactus.

That one was actually done at electricferret... It, uh, it didn't turn out so well for the purple guy.

How about the Borg versus the Replicators?

bugsysservant
2007-07-23, 06:37 PM
How about...

Green lantern vs. Superman. I know they have fought, but I think its 1/1, once Superman punched through Green Lantern's powers, took his ring, and became a demigod, and once green lantern made kryptonite.

Anyone with the wishsong vs. Rand Al'Thor Even though the wishsong is theoretically infinite in power, it never turns out that way, so Rand would definitely win.

Exar Kun vs. Luke Skywalker No idea on this one, probably Luke.

Shai'tan vs. Morgoth. Yeah, they are pretty much gods, but a trolloc would kill an orc any day, and several myrdraal can take down a maiar, not to mention the power of Shai'tan's forsaken.

Edit: Forgot a couple

Dalek's vs. Cybermen. Yeah, it happened in Doomsday, but that was so kickass that I really want to see an all out war (which the dalek's would win)

Cybermen vs. The Borg. Probably the Borg, because cybermen don't have much variety in their weapons.

Finally...
Dr. Who vs. Anyone. Hands down, all the doctor. Name one opponent he couldn't beat.

Arang
2007-07-23, 06:42 PM
How about...

Shai'tan vs. Morgoth. Yeah, they are pretty much gods, but a trolloc would kill an orc any day, and several myrdraal can take down a maiar, not to mention the power of Shai'tan's forsaken.

Tricky, unless lots of things have been revealed about Shai'tan in the last book (which I haven't read), his power is left largely to your imagination. Either he's a god or he isn't, and he wins or loses, respectively, but he's been compared to the Creator a lot, so I guess we'll go with he's a god and wins, barely.

Go team long sentences.

bugsysservant
2007-07-23, 06:50 PM
Tricky, unless lots of things have been revealed about Shai'tan in the last book (which I haven't read), his power is left largely to your imagination. Either he's a god or he isn't, and he wins or loses, respectively, but he's been compared to the Creator a lot, so I guess we'll go with he's a god and wins, barely.

Go team long sentences.

I don't remember the specifics, but think about it: the most powerful channeler in the world (the dragon) doesn't beat him in single combat, only seals him away. The only thing which is know that can kill him would be (according to Lanfear) the linking of her and Rand, two of the most powerful aes sedai ever, both using the massive sa'angreal which some worried would destroy the world with their powers. But Morgoth could destroy lamps capable of lighting an entire world, and able to remake geographical features to his whim. But he was hurt by Fingolfin in a one on one battle. So I would have to say Shai'tan also, barely, both for his armies and for his personal power. But I really was asking mostly about his minion's vs. morgoth's.

Megalomaniac2
2007-07-23, 07:01 PM
Moriarty versus Keyser Soze.

Arang
2007-07-23, 07:17 PM
But I really was asking mostly about his minion's vs. morgoth's.

Minionwise I'd have to go with Morgoth. He has the dragons, winged dragons, balrogs, werewolves and orcs going for him at the least (I don't remember if he had anything more, but he might very well have), and he's also capable of brewing up some really nasty monsters with a little time (Carcharoth).

Shai'tan has the Trollocs, the Myrdraal, Dreadlords, the Forsaken, the Darkhounds (does he control those?) and the Dragkhar. Aside from the channelers, that's not a very impressive selection. The channelers could pose a bit of a problem, but I really don't think they're comparatively stronger than all the balrogs and dragons put together.

Duke Malagigi
2007-07-23, 07:33 PM
Voldemort vs. Death (from Discworld).

The Deatheaters vs. the wizards of the Unseen University and the Fresh Start Club.

Severus Snape vs. Mustrum Ridcully.

Raistlin1040
2007-07-23, 07:43 PM
Link vs Cloud
Link vs Mario
Link vs Sephiroth
Link vs Darth Vader
Link vs Master Chief

Yes, I am a Legend of Zelda fanboy.

bugsysservant
2007-07-23, 07:44 PM

The Deatheaters vs. the wizards of the Unseen University and the Fresh Start Club.

Severus Snape vs. Mustrum Ridcully.

Hands down Death. For one thing, Death can stop time, Voldemort can't. For another, the series always seems to resort to non physical means to kill him, since he is an anthropomorphic personification. Finally, even a second Death couldn't kill Death, so I don't think a mortal can.

The second would be close because even though the wizrds at UU don't have the sheer deadly potential that Death Eater's do, virtually nothing can permanently kill undead. Toss in the luggage for the discworld side, and I would vote for them.

I hate to say it, but Ridcully would probably lose the third, because Snape could toss out a forbidden curse before Ridcully could act. I would give Granny Weatherwax to Ridcully's side to even it up.

Miklus
2007-07-23, 07:56 PM
Homer Simpson VS Dr. Zoidberg. The both eat out of the garbage can and have really thick skulls/shells. I think Zoidbergs claws would win the day, though. I also suspect that whoever wins might just eat the corpse of the other...

Mr. Data VS Bender...Poor, poor Data...:smalltongue:

Marge Simpson VS Leela. Sure, Leela has the hole atlethic karate-chick thing going on, but I wouldn't put it past Marge to turn a fistfight into a stabbing.

Serenity
2007-07-23, 08:21 PM
Spidey vs. Batman. My money's on Spidey, actually, as he's got the brains to match wits with Batman and superhuman power.

yoshi927
2007-07-23, 09:25 PM
Miko vs. Darth Vader (assuming, of course, she had lightsabers) (Miko wins it easily. :smallbiggrin:)

Lanfear vs. Dumbledore (tough one, actually. I'd say that Lanfear might have the edge, because Dumbledore would be confused how she was doing magic (channeling) without a wand)

Syrio (Song of Ice and Fire) vs. Roy (OoTS) (Syrio would own Roy. No contest. :smallbiggrin:)

Duke Malagigi
2007-07-23, 10:12 PM
The second would be close because even though the wizrds at UU don't have the sheer deadly potential that Death Eater's do, virtually nothing can permanently kill undead. Toss in the luggage for the discworld side, and I would vote for them.

Okay then, throw in Luggage and the Anhk-Morpork Assassins Guild on the UU's side. Then report back.

I hate to say it, but Ridcully would probably lose the third, because Snape could toss out a forbidden curse before Ridcully could act. I would give Granny Weatherwax to Ridcully's side to even it up.

Okay then, so Ridcully and Weatherwax with the Night Watch acting as police snipers. Maybe throw in Cohen the barbarian and see what he does.

PhallicWarrior
2007-07-23, 10:13 PM
Dumbledor vs Yoda

King Kong vs The Blob (the sci-fi one, not the X-Men villain)

Darth Sidious vs. Gandalf

Vivian Gandillion (From Blood & Chocolate.) vs Trish Stratus (I think she counts as fictional.)

SurlySeraph
2007-07-23, 10:19 PM
Dumbledore vs Yoda: If Dumbledore used the Killing Curse, he'd insta-win, but he's too nice for that. If Yoda closed the distance between them, he could dice Dumbledore with his lightsaber skills, but Dumbledore has a massive advantage at ranged combat because all Yoda can do there is throw things with the Force. It all depends on how far apart they are when the fight starts.

King Kong vs The Blob (the sci-fi one, not the X-Men villain): The Blob. I mean, don't you need fire to kill it? Ape punches aren't gonna do it.

Darth Sidious vs. Gandalf: Mr. Force Lightning vs. Mr. YOU SHALL NOT PASS!. I'd say Gandalf, but I like LOTR a lot more than Star Wars, so I'm biased.

bugsysservant
2007-07-23, 11:03 PM
King Kong vs The Blob (the sci-fi one, not the X-Men villain): The Blob. I mean, don't you need fire to kill it? Ape punches aren't gonna do it.

Darth Sidious vs. Gandalf: Mr. Force Lightning vs. Mr. YOU SHALL NOT PASS!. I'd say Gandalf, but I like LOTR a lot more than Star Wars, so I'm biased.

I thought it was cold that killed the blob? I seem to remeber them ending the movie by dumping it in antarctica.

Actually, a fight between Gandalf and Darth Sidious would be interesting, because I seem to recall Gandalf killing two orcs in the Hobbit using lightning, right before he snuffed out the orc leader, so he has his own electicity attack. Plus he has Glamdring if he can close, but Darth Sidious's attacks are probably more deadly at a range. I would say too close to call.

Semidi
2007-07-24, 02:08 AM
Dumbledor vs Yoda

King Kong vs The Blob (the sci-fi one, not the X-Men villain)

Darth Sidious vs. Gandalf

I'm giving the Dumbledore Vs. Yoda fight to Yoda. He has the force and would be able to dodge whatever Dumbledore throws at him as he moves in to cut him up--or just throw a heavy object at him--or just force pull his wand away.

The Blob would kick Kong's butt. Easily. Kong doesn't have the brains to do anything other than smash the blob; that's when the blob latches onto him and eats him alive.

Sidious Vs. Gandalf is a toss up because there worlds are completely different. Gandalf's magic is far more subtle than Sidious' approach, and in the Lord of the Rings we only really see glimpses of Gandalf's power whereas in Star Wars, they show it. A lot.

In all, I'd have to give it to Gandalf for the simple reason that he's far more cunning than Sidious.

For mine:

A (Standard Issue) Jedi Knight Vs. A Predator (Let's go with general film lore)

Environment: A very dark, very creepy underground sewer system. The jedi is the hunted, the predator is the hunter.

Manga Shoggoth
2007-07-24, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, anybody?

Zeful
2007-07-24, 04:27 AM
The Druid Allanon (Wishstones of Shanara) Vs. The Batman

This would be an interesting, albiet onesided fight. Batman having no defence and foreknowledge of his opponent's magical abilities would be shredded by Allanon's powers. If Batman was properly informed of the extent Allanon's magic and tried to exhaust him, Allanon would grapple him and squeeze the life out him. Batman's only hope of winning would be take the fight from ranged and corner Allanon as so not to allow escape, which is impossible as he took down a very old (at least) to wyrm age category dragon by himself, for perspective a CR 17-25 encounter. Batman is a level five expert (using that one guys study showing the peak of human abilities is level 5) with obscene crafting and gather info skills, and one hell of a point buy.

Though I do more about Allanon than I do Batman so someone who knows both might be able ot give a better analysis.

Artemician
2007-07-24, 04:39 AM
The Druid Allanon (Wishstones of Shanara) Vs. The Batman

This would be an interesting, albiet onesided fight. Batman having no defence and foreknowledge of his opponent's magical abilities would be shredded by Allanon's powers. If Batman was properly informed of the extent Allanon's magic and tried to exhaust him, Allanon would grapple him and squeeze the life out him. Batman's only hope of winning would be take the fight from ranged and corner Allanon as so not to allow escape, which is impossible as he took down a very old (at least) to wyrm age category dragon by himself, for perspective a CR 17-25 encounter. Batman is a level five expert (using that one guys study showing the peak of human abilities is level 5) with obscene crafting and gather info skills, and one hell of a point buy.

Though I do more about Allanon than I do Batman so someone who knows both might be able ot give a better analysis.

As you said it, from the way you described it, it's pretty one-sided.You've described a level 17 druid versus a level 5 expert. No contest. However! I object with your portrayal of Batman. Batman is never not in the know, he has money. Money is a very potent spy, and has many ears.

Thus, the moment Batman heard of this "Allannon" character, he would leg it. Fast. He's not stupid. He's also not level 5, he wasn't born yesterday.

Now.. as for another fiction fight: This is for the Anime fans here (I know you're there).

Who would win in an assasinate-the-other contest (given that both contestants start knowing that the other exists, but not much else)- Himura Kenshin (from his Batousai days) or Assassin from Fate/Stay Night?

okpokalypse
2007-07-24, 07:06 AM
The Imperium's navy is effectivly infinate while the Empire's navy manages to survive in sufficient numbers for decades after the Empire's defeat. Its hard to say which is bigger.

Don't compare Stormtroopers to Space Marines. Compare Imperial Guard to Stormtroopers. The Empire has a confusing collection of elite troops from various expanded universe sources.

The Eldar kick em both squarely in the nuts :smallsmile:

Zeful
2007-07-24, 10:48 AM
As you said it, from the way you described it, it's pretty one-sided.You've described a level 17 druid versus a level 5 expert. No contest. However! I object with your portrayal of Batman. Batman is never not in the know, he has money. Money is a very potent spy, and has many ears.
As I said I claim very little of Batman's abilities, but I know alot about Allanon. So I actually encourage people to prove me wrong, because if you can, I'd love to know the resources he'd need to win.

Thus, the moment Batman heard of this "Allannon" character, he would leg it. Fast. He's not stupid. He's also not level 5, he wasn't born yesterday.
No I agree, Batman's not stupid, he can't be because he devises methods to beat everyone he meets, my analysis of the 'fight' would only be if Batman had to fight for whatever stupid reason is nessesary, in the end Batman would be more likely to get Allanon to see reason (which Allanon, not being an idiot, would understand the benefit of having a genius as an ally) and would become the next Druid of Shannara.

TheThan
2007-07-24, 01:59 PM
Batman vs The Punisher.

Situation in spoiler

Batman and the Punisher are both staking out a gangster hide out, unbeknownst of each other. Batman decides its time to go and kick some butt. So he snips the power to the warehouse and then ninjas in and uses his stealth skills, martial arts and general scariness to frighten and confuse the gangsters, while knocking them unconscious. Then suddenly the Punisher crashes through the door and starts shooting up the place.

Spotting Batman, The Punisher assumes he’s a costumed super villain. While Batman sees him gun down a bunch of helpless gangsters. Batman recognizes the Punisher as wanted vigilante and decides to take him out while he’s here. They both proceed to fight.

Batman’s got his marital arts skills, stealth and a bunch of gizmos. Punisher has a lot automatic weapons. Batman is slightly outmatched since he’s already lost the element of surprise, and wasn’t expecting the sort of firepower the Punisher uses. However due to the loud gunfire the police soon arrive, which forces both to retreat. Batman however manages to follow the Punisher to his vehicle and attaches a tracker to it just before Castle drives off.

Later, back at the batcave, Batman better equips himself to handle the heavy firepower The Punisher uses. While the Punisher begins working his next attack on the criminal underworld. Once ready, Batman simply follows the tracker and spends some time watching the place before entering.

When Batman cuts the power to the safehouse, the Punisher is ready for an attack almost immediately. However since the Punisher doesn’t adapt as quickly as Batman does he is not prepared to bat’s new weaponry and tactics and quickly overcomes the Punisher.

A quick phone call to the police and the renegade vigilante, The Punisher is now apprehended.

At least that’s how I see it going down. The two are at totally different perspectives about fighting crime that they couldn’t team up.

2007-07-24, 06:21 PM

You must be joking. You can't beat Death. The only person who has ever evaded Death without him helping them was Rincewind.

Now Death uses his Lifetimer as a desk ornament and has given up on collecting him.

Link vs Cloud
Link vs Mario
Link vs Sephiroth
Link vs Darth Vader
Link vs Master Chief

Link loses to Cloud due to Cloud apparently being able to fly these days. (Advent Children)

Link beats Mario because Matio does acrobatics whereas Link has a Master Sword.

Link beats Sephiroth because Sephiroth either trips over his stupid hair or starts one of his long-ass monolouges about how he's the darkness of the world or how his mother loves him or something, to which Link replies, "HIIIIIYAAAA!" and stabs him.

Link loses to Darth Vader because when he shoots an arrow at him Vader just spins it around and sticks it in Link's gut. When Link charges anyway, Vader's lightsaber cuts through the Master Sword like butter.

Link loses to Master Chief. .50 sniper rifle.

Megalomaniac2
2007-07-24, 08:07 PM
Batman vs The Punisher.

Situation in spoiler

Batman and the Punisher are both staking out a gangster hide out, unbeknownst of each other. Batman decides its time to go and kick some butt. So he snips the power to the warehouse and then ninjas in and uses his stealth skills, martial arts and general scariness to frighten and confuse the gangsters, while knocking them unconscious. Then suddenly the Punisher crashes through the door and starts shooting up the place.

Spotting Batman, The Punisher assumes he’s a costumed super villain. While Batman sees him gun down a bunch of helpless gangsters. Batman recognizes the Punisher as wanted vigilante and decides to take him out while he’s here. They both proceed to fight.

Batman’s got his marital arts skills, stealth and a bunch of gizmos. Punisher has a lot automatic weapons. Batman is slightly outmatched since he’s already lost the element of surprise, and wasn’t expecting the sort of firepower the Punisher uses. However due to the loud gunfire the police soon arrive, which forces both to retreat. Batman however manages to follow the Punisher to his vehicle and attaches a tracker to it just before Castle drives off.

Later, back at the batcave, Batman better equips himself to handle the heavy firepower The Punisher uses. While the Punisher begins working his next attack on the criminal underworld. Once ready, Batman simply follows the tracker and spends some time watching the place before entering.

When Batman cuts the power to the safehouse, the Punisher is ready for an attack almost immediately. However since the Punisher doesn’t adapt as quickly as Batman does he is not prepared to bat’s new weaponry and tactics and quickly overcomes the Punisher.

A quick phone call to the police and the renegade vigilante, The Punisher is now apprehended.

At least that’s how I see it going down. The two are at totally different perspectives about fighting crime that they couldn’t team up.

I agree. The Batman has faced many foes just as resourceful and heavily-armed as The Punisher, and come out on top. He has more intelligence, training, and resources. Batman all the way.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-24, 10:13 PM
The Eldar kick em both squarely in the nuts :smallsmile:

The Eldar for all of their exalted, ancient technology and glorious past couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. For goodness sakes they are one of the oldest races in existence yet they still consider Katanas and guns that shoot the equivalent of diamond fiber silly string to be examples of good armaments. And lets not even mention those fruity armors they use. I mean no wonder they fell into evil, I would too if my helmet looked like some kind of banana desert.

As for the Death Eaters vs Diskworld wizards I must be the first to point out that in Diskworld Wizards don't get power from wielding magic but from decisively 'not' using it. Similar to our cold war 'use' of nuclear weapons. Besides Diskworld magic is far more alive than the tamed stuff Death Eaters use. It could be a close fight in the end (easy killing curse and all) but I think I will go for the guys who don't get beaten up by house elves with butter knifes.

Anung Un Rama
2007-07-25, 04:04 AM
Batman vs The Punisher.

Situation in spoiler

I agree with your anlysis guys, but they have already fought.
In JLA/Avengers the JLA have travelled to Marvel Earth to observe the differences between their Earth and marvels earth, to whit they split up into pairs, and Batman and plastic man go off together. They come to a wharehouse and see the punisher killing some drug dealers and batman proceeds to absolutely mince punisher. Granted Batman may have kinda had plot protection being one of the main characters at this point but i still agree he could beat punisher hands down.

Quezovercoatl
2007-07-25, 06:31 AM
As for the Death Eaters vs Diskworld wizards I must be the first to point out that in Diskworld Wizards don't get power from wielding magic but from decisively 'not' using it. Similar to our cold war 'use' of nuclear weapons. Besides Diskworld magic is far more alive than the tamed stuff Death Eaters use. It could be a close fight in the end (easy killing curse and all) but I think I will go for the guys who don't get beaten up by house elves with butter knifes.

I agree, people should not be so quick to dismiss the Discworld wizards. It should be noted that until Ridcully put a stop to it, the wizards of the unseen university advance up the magical hierarchy mostly by assassinating those above them (also those below them and those on the same level) so these guys will have a lot of experience in the old ruthlessness department. Also these assassinations where carried out almost exclusively by mundane means not because every wizard protected themselves with craploads of protection against magical attacks so people shouldn’t be too quick to bring the killing curse up as an instant win for the other side.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-25, 06:56 AM
The Doctor Vs The Batman

Omega Vs The Joker

Davros Vs The Riddler

The Daleks Vs The DC universe.

okpokalypse
2007-07-25, 10:24 AM
The Eldar for all of their exalted, ancient technology and glorious past couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. For goodness sakes they are one of the oldest races in existence yet they still consider Katanas and guns that shoot the equivalent of diamond fiber silly string to be examples of good armaments. And lets not even mention those fruity armors they use. I mean no wonder they fell into evil, I would too if my helmet looked like some kind of banana desert.

I'll give you those silly plumed banana helmets.

But methinks you castly undervalue the Eldar (or haven't read the new Codex). Played well, they're damn near unbeatable. There's a reason they're the big Tourney Army now. Harlequins may be the best assault unit in any army for their cost, and they've got one of the best Troops units in the Dire Avengers.

SITB
2007-07-25, 11:04 AM
Just chiming in on the Discworld wizards versus Deatheaters debate.

In about 5 minutes all the Deatheaters would die, and then a millennia of interfighting between wizards becasue "There can be only one".

The power level of the wizards in Discworld is both absurd and correct (absurd in that it's too damn powerful; correct in that the the moment they do use it, nuclear war looks like a kindergarten tussle). In their world magic can do anything and the very first thing they learn is how to cover themselves with so many protection magics that make a full plate look like a bikini.

The Deatheatrs got like what? A killing curse at the top of their arsenal? Discworld wizards are bound from conquering the entire world (and imprisoning the gods) only by the fact that there are other wizards who might rise up to challenge them at it and raze most of the world with it; and the fact that controlling the world is not all what it is cracked out to be.

And about the murderous intent; yeah ever read Sourcery? It's also mentioned in a lot of other books, basically deep down every wizard know that the pulral of wizard means war.

Quezovercoatl
2007-07-25, 03:48 PM

In about 5 minutes all the Deatheaters would die, and then a millennia of interfighting between wizards becasue "There can be only one".

The power level of the wizards in Discworld is both absurd and correct (absurd in that it's too damn powerful; correct in that the the moment they do use it, nuclear war looks like a kindergarten tussle). In their world magic can do anything and the very first thing they learn is how to cover themselves with so many protection magics that make a full plate look like a bikini.

The Deatheatrs got like what? A killing curse at the top of their arsenal? Discworld wizards are bound from conquering the entire world (and imprisoning the gods) only by the fact that there are other wizards who might rise up to challenge them at it and raze most of the world with it; and the fact that controlling the world is not all what it is cracked out to be.

And about the murderous intent; yeah ever read Sourcery? It's also mentioned in a lot of other books, basically deep down every wizard know that the pulral of wizard means war.

That is a bit of an over statement. The imprisoning the gods thing was done by a sorcerer not a wizard (on the Discworld sorcerers are way the hell more powerful that wizards) and the nuclear war type fire power stuff was during the mage wars when magic was a lot more powerful. That said some books like Equal Rights and Reaper Man show much more firepower that what I have heard attributed to potterverse wizards. How ever not having read any Harry Potter books could someone post high end examples of their wizardry?

SITB
2007-07-25, 04:36 PM
The three top "Forbidden" curses in potter-verse are: 1)Killing someone. 2)Causing a lot of pain. 3) "Mind controlling" to a limited degree.

Look at Sourcery at those who remained sided with wizardry (I remember there was more then one) or at the end of Light Fantastic. Wizards hold their punches as to not destroy the world. It's why ordinary folks "grovel" before them, if they will get to insolent and oppose the wizards there woulde be the recration of the ancient war.

True, the Sourcerer augmented their abilities, but they were already more than powerful enough to deal with a bunch of watered down "magic" terrorists.

P.S

Before the watering down of magic, sourcerers were as powerful as wizards. Nowdays, in the Discworld sourcerers are a living fountains of magic so they augument every wizard in the area.

Green Bean
2007-07-25, 04:53 PM
Regardless of the actual power of either's spells, I think the deciding factor is environment. Discworld wizards have to wrestle with their powers, and must deal with forces beyond humanity, unaccountable side effects, the very real possibility of ending all existence, etc. This forces them to become more cunning and capable magicians; the idiots don't survive. Death Eaters? They point their wands and stuff goes boom.

The thing is, this gives them an advantage no matter what. If the Disc wizards end up in the Potter-verse, all of the effort and cunning devoted to keeping the powers they harness in line gets channeled right at the Death Eaters. I give Voldy's best five, ten minutes tops. If the Death Eaters end up on Discworld, they'll get eaten alive by the creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions.

Of course, the biggest advantage of Discworld wizards is that they don't need to aim!

EDIT: In keeping with the previous Disc vs. Potter challenge, I give you...

Rincewind vs. Neville Longbottom in the first book

SITB
2007-07-25, 05:26 PM
Which book is Rincewind from? He turned quite 'athletic' after all those times running away and during Light Fantastic wrestled with a wizard with probably was heavier then Neville. So unless Neville manages to fire a spell at Rincewind (which is doubtful given his competence record in the first book) he will either hightail it before Neville sees what's going on, or knock him unconscious.

Meshakhad
2007-07-25, 07:02 PM
My favorite new character to throw in a fight is Sylar, of Heroes. So, I'll take everyone mentioned in the thread that I am familiar with in turn, until I get bored.

To review Sylar's powers:
Intuition - he knows how things work. Also allows him to gain the mutant powers of others by eating their brains.
Telekinesis - less brute force (the biggest he's done is flip an armored van) more precision. His favored method of killing is to use telekinesis to slice open their skulls and remove their brains. Telekinesis is abbreviated as TK.
Freezing - he can make things freeze with a touch, or create icy patches on the ground. Not as good as Iceman, but not bad either.
Radiation - can unleash bursts of radiation from his hands or body. Capable of generating a Hiroshima-sized nuclear blast, but the buildup takes time, and I think he dies in the process. Anyway, he won't do it randomly.
Hearing - can hear rain a mile away, and can locate someone by the sound of their heartbeat. Can sorta read their emotions by their heartrate.

Victories: 37 (Darth Maul, Wolverine, John McLane, Death Star, Master Chief, Matrix Robots, Terminator Robots, Sherlock Holmes, Lancelot, Miko, the Pope, Belkar Bitterleaf, Sauron's Mordor, Al Gore, a coconut, Star Destroyer, Carmen Sandiego, Waldo, V, Optimus Prime, Luke Skywalker, Voldemort, the Death Eaters, Severus Snape, Link, Cloud, Mario, Homer Simpson, Dr. Zoidberg, Data, Bender, Marge Simpson, Leela, Spiderman, Roy, King Kong, Gandalf)
Defeats: 14 (Darth Vader, Dr. Doom, the Federation, Galactic Empire, Imperium of Man, the Eldar, Enterprise NCC-1701, Chuck Norris, the Borg, Superman, Death, Batman, Dumbledore, Yoda)

1. Darth Maul
Maul has a double saber. But all Sylar has to do is pull it out of Maul's hand. Or, better yet, just TK Maul against a wall, then begin the brain-slicing.

2. Wolverine
Sylar TKs Wolvie against the wall. Kills by scrambling brains, after figuring that adamantium is indestructible.

3. Darth Vader
Vader is much better with the force, and is probably faster. He chokes Sylar to death.

4. Dr. Doom
Hmm. Doom can use an energy blast faster than Sylar can kill. Doom wins.

5. John McLane
Without superpowers, against Sylar, you're doomed. Sylar wins.

6. The Death Star
Assuming that Vader or Palapatine don't show up, Sylar will use his intuition to figure out how to blow up the Death Star from the inside. It can't be THAT difficult, if you can override security via TK (just cut open the doors!)

7. Master Chief (Yes, I know I skipped a lot - I don't know them well)
Even the Chief is vulnerable to TK.

8. The Matrix Robots
How about a little EMP? Yes, Sylar can do that.

9. Terminator
TK to slice into pieces, radiation to fry and prevent regeneration.

10. Sherlock Holmes
Brain-slicing time!

11. Lancelot
See above.

12. Miko
Well, the brain-slicing won't work, since she doesn't have a brain. But she can be sliced in two.

13. The Pope
Brain-slice.

14. Federation
The Federation. Too much firepower.

15. Galactic Empire
See Federation.

16. Imperium of Man
See Federation.

17. Belkar
Ah, two psychopaths meet. Sylar not only has telekinesis, he has self-control. He wins.

18. Sauron's Mordor
Since Sauron has no weaponry to overcome telekinesis, I'd say Sylar.

19. Al Gore
Al Gore is very smart. Sylar will no doubt eat well tonight.

20. Eldar
Too much firepower. They win.

21. A coconut
TK. Drink milk. Eat coconut.

22. Star Destroyer
See Death Star.

23. Enterprise (NCC-1701)
If it were any other Star Trek ship - even a Borg cube - Sylar would win. Alas, Spock is on board. Spock channels the power of his disciple Hiro Nakamura, and kills Sylar. (Hiro, a Japanese nerd who can bend space-time and greets people with a Vulcan salute, killed Sylar)

24. Carmen Sandiego
He'll find her. He always does. Then he eats her brain.

25. Waldo
Ditto for him.

26. V
Brain-slice action! Sorry V. You rock, but Sylar has TK.

27. Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris is immune to telekinesis. He wins.

28. Optimus Prime
Sylar extracts his memory banks. He finds them crunchy.

29. Borg
Hmm. The Borg have firepower, but against one man, they'd try to assimilate him. Eh, he'd massacre the crew on one cube, then die when the Borg take out the cube itself. The Borg win.

30. Superman
Superman is vulnerable to kryptonite and magic. Sylar has neither of these. Superman wins.

31. Luke Skywalker
Luke has yet to show a tendency towards using the Force as a weapon. Sylar does a repeat of his fight with Darth Maul.

32. Voldemort
Voldemort is WAY too slow. He's prone to monologuing while his victims are still standing. Sylar waits until they're helpless. Sylar would take care of that wand, then slice Vold's brain.

33. Death
Death always wins.

34. The Death Eaters
Sylar would take care of their wands in a hurry, then eat their brains.

35. Snape
See above.

36. Link
TK to wall, slice, eat brains.

37. Cloud
Cloud is a hell of a swordsman, but that won't help against Sylar.

38. Mario
Brain-eating time!

39. Homer Simpson
Brain-eating - wait, Homer doesn't HAVE a brain! Oh, well, he doesn't have combat skills either. Sylar wins.

40. Dr. Zoidberg
How about some seafood, Sylar?

41. Mr. Data
Data is quite vulnerable to telekinesis.

42. Bender
As is Bender.

43. Marge Simpson
TK.

44. Leela
TK.

45. Spiderman
TK.

46. Batman
Batman gets preparation time. He prepares a distraction, and kills Sylar.

47. Dumbledore
Dumbledore is too clever to die at Sylar's hands.

48. Roy Greenhilt
TK.

49. Yoda
"Telekinesis matters not! Also, I win initiative!"

50. King Kong
TK. Sylar ends up saving that brain for later.

51. Gandalf
If Saruman could steal Gandalf's staff, Sylar will have no issue. He then TKs Gandalf.

Finally, for those who know both characters well, I'd like to get your opinion on Sylar v. Sephiroth. I saw FFVII: Advent Children, but I'm not clear on Seph's powers. He might be able to do what Hiro did - surprise stab. On the other hand, if Sylar gets to go, he wins.

0wca
2007-07-25, 09:51 PM
Do historical figures count?

Musashi Miyamoto vs. King Leonidas

Now THAT I want to see!!

Meshakhad
2007-07-25, 10:20 PM
That would be good. I'm not sure how it would turn out. It all depends on how hard Leonidas can throw his spear and how good Miyamoto's reflexes are.

If Miyamoto doesn't dodge, he is DEAD. If he does, he wins.

Turcano
2007-07-26, 12:03 AM
I'd like to see a set-to between Aragorn and Ned Stark. I have no idea what the outcome would be, since they're pretty much the same character in different settings (right down to the semi-magic swords). I guess it would mostly depend on the terrain and who got initiative.

0wca
2007-07-26, 02:33 PM
That would be good. I'm not sure how it would turn out. It all depends on how hard Leonidas can throw his spear and how good Miyamoto's reflexes are.

Exactly! Two different cultures of ultimate sword/spear fighters fighting each other. :smalltongue:

Weezer
2007-07-26, 06:10 PM
Dumbledor vs Yoda
I'd give this fight to Dumbledor, people seen to be forgetting that while Yoda would rip him apart in close combat that Dumbledor could just apparate away and use the spell that he was shown to use at the end of The Order of the Phoenix against Voldy.

Duke Malagigi
2007-07-27, 01:45 PM
Voldemort vs. Xykon vs. Mustrum Ridcully

Who would win and what would they say while trying to kill each? Also, what kind of damage would they cause to the surrounding landscape and what would the general reaction to this fight be?

SITB
2007-07-27, 01:51 PM
Xycon probably.

Ridcully usually prefers to end fights physically and therefore get murdered while trying to close on them with his staff. Otherwise since he is a Discworld-ian wizard he would have won.

Voldemort's can't really do ANYTHING to Xycon (since he is already undead).

Xycon wins despite being an evoker sorcerer.

EDIT: Regarding collateral damage, probably minimal, Xycon uses meteor storm or finger of death against them and wins.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-27, 02:04 PM
Ridcully FTW.

Discworld magic going full burn seems to have a lot more oomph that Voldemort's, somthing as destructive as a type 3 fireball being routine. Whilst yes he does prefer close encounters he is also not an idiot and would not do so in this situation. He is also the Arch chancleor of the UU and out of habit probably has more abjuration type spells about his person than the otehr two put together.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-27, 02:05 PM
Hex Vs Tron.

smellie_hippie
2007-07-27, 02:32 PM
Han Solo vs Indiana Jones

Just for the split personality situation... Oh, and both from the 1st films.

SITB
2007-07-27, 02:37 PM
"You got your whip in my space ship!"

"You got your space ship in my whip!"

And then they go and rescue priceless archeological artifacts from the Death Star.

What?

Weezer
2007-07-27, 09:31 PM
"You got your whip in my space ship!"

"You got your space ship in my whip!"

And then they go and rescue priceless archeological artifacts from the Death Star.

What?
Dont forget rescuing princesses who are secretly nazi and will "reward" them greatly.:smallwink:

bugsysservant
2007-07-28, 05:42 PM

GOSH!!! Didn't you see 300? A jumping Spartan who was an inferior fighter compared to Leonidas moved as fast as a cracking whip, thus Spartans can move faster than the speed of sound. Can Miyamoto do that? Huh? I rest my case.

0wca
2007-07-29, 06:01 PM
GOSH!!! Didn't you see 300? A jumping Spartan who was an inferior fighter compared to Leonidas moved as fast as a cracking whip, thus Spartans can move faster than the speed of sound. Can Miyamoto do that? Huh? I rest my case.

It's true that Spartans were fast, but special effects, uncertain historical facts, and the fact that the movie was based on a book that (amongst other things) included mythical creatures, you could also see that Spartans were a little exaggarated... not to diss them or anything but, you can't base your observation of Spartan warrior skills on 300. :smallconfused:

smellie_hippie
2007-07-29, 06:11 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh!

The Dread Pirate Roberts

vs.

Captain Jack Sparrow

*glee* :biggrin:

@v Of course I meant Wesley. But you can't go around claiming to be "The Dread Pirate Wesley"... :smallamused:

2007-07-29, 06:12 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh!

The Dread Pirate Roberts

vs.

Captain Jack Sparrow

*glee* :biggrin:

I assume you mean Wesley by Roberts.

He'd kick Sparrow's ass. He's the best sword-fighter in the world, as noble as Will, and as cunning as Sparrow.

Duke Malagigi
2007-07-29, 06:39 PM

I'm also interested in what the two sides would say about each other before and during battle. That and the amount of property damage caused by the wizards of the Unseen University.

bugsysservant
2007-07-29, 10:16 PM
It's true that Spartans were fast, but special effects, uncertain historical facts, and the fact that the movie was based on a book that (amongst other things) included mythical creatures, you could also see that Spartans were a little exaggarated... not to diss them or anything but, you can't base your observation of Spartan warrior skills on 300. :smallconfused:

I was being sarcastic :smallyuk: , of course Spartans can't break the sound barrier by jumping. Its just that were I live, 300 was touted as the best movie ever, instantly spawning loads of cultish fanboys who would defend to the death the factual nature of what it depicts. I suppose I should have realized that this attitude may have been limited to my region.

dehro
2007-07-30, 02:22 AM

as much as I'm a fan of the Discworld, I disagree with you..

If it where but one discworld wizard, possibly one of the pre-ridcully era, against a bunch of deatheaters, then maybe you'd be right...but we know that the wizards of UU now are nothing more than a bunch of extremely senior, extremely fat and extremely cowardly dafties who would argue among themselves for an hour about strategy and "who should attack first and who should run for cover", before getting anything done.

the plural of wizard at "present" means bickering, not war..
and they rarelly have any useful magic loaded in the morning, since they rarelly ever see the morning if they're not caught by it while having an abbundant midnight snack
deatheaters on the contrary are far more used to working together and not losing time in stupid discussions...they're mean and go for the kill, where an UU wizard is mostly unprepaired to face an enemy, specially when he's together with other wizards who he could expect to deal with matters in his place

if you had, say, ridcully placed in a tight spot and without the chance to do anything but trow spells..now then I'd say UU has got a chance..but as a team, UU wizards wouldn't be able to find their way out of an elevator.

Anung Un Rama
2007-07-30, 02:57 PM
I would vote for discworld wizards anyday for one thing, Discworld magic is infinitely more powerful due to the fact that in some cases a single word of their magic could destroy the world whereas Death eaters, it takes two words to kill one person. Also, im not sure who said it but they really had a point-I dont really think theyre very good evil wizards if they can be taken on by a houself with a knife.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-30, 03:32 PM
I was being sarcastic :smallyuk: , of course Spartans can't break the sound barrier by jumping. Its just that were I live, 300 was touted as the best movie ever, instantly spawning loads of cultish fanboys who would defend to the death the factual nature of what it depicts. I suppose I should have realized that this attitude may have been limited to my region.

Wasn't Miyamoto eventually beaten by a man with a stick (well, quarterstaff)?

It could be entirely probable that because of the difference in fighting styles that Miyamoto wouldn't know how to defend himself if spartans chose to improvise weaponry instead of using their basic swords and/or spears.

The Demented One
2007-07-30, 03:34 PM
To be honest, most of the legends about Musashi are probably just as exaggerated as 300 was.

0wca
2007-07-30, 03:56 PM

It could be entirely probable that because of the difference in fighting styles that Miyamoto wouldn't know how to defend himself if spartans chose to improvise weaponry instead of using their basic swords and/or spears.

He was probably the most refined warrior in sword combat that ever lived. Not to mention that the samurai fighting tehniques were one of the most feared in the world. I bet he would know how to defend himself because his style of fighting was based on dodging attacks and every defence move was actually an attack move at once. I'm not saying he would win, I'm saying it would be really interesting to watch.. :smalltongue:

Actually, its not.. Down here we have the same effect. Well I'm a big fan of the movie but I'm not drawing parallels between 300's Spartans and the real ones.

To be honest, most of the legends about Musashi are probably just as exaggerated as 300 was.

True, but 300 is based on a book that's just as comparable as to Marvel's comics. :smallsmile: Therefore I think that it's more exaggarated.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-07-30, 04:07 PM

No. Musashi was actually famous for his habit of using a wooden sword instead of a real one during some of his duels. He used improvised weapons himself in numerous duels (notably his famous duel with Sasaki Kojiro, where he used a boat oar). In fact, in his later life, he defeated a master of the lance (quite similar to the spears that the spartans used).

Musashi died of a sickness and was never defeated in a duel. That's why he's so widely regarded as one of the best swordsman (if not the best) who's ever lived.

Actually, most of the "legends" regarding Musashi are pretty simple (though incomplete) recountings of duels... ie, he fought this guy and won... then he fought that guy and won. Nothing particularly legend-worthy, in my opinion. He's only famous because he didn't lose.

The actions of the Spartans (and other greeks) at Battle of Thermopylae, on the other hand, are VERY legend-worthy.

2007-07-30, 07:28 PM

and they rarelly have any useful magic loaded in the morning.

Ever read Reaper Man? The wizards didn't know they'd have to fight evil mall-beasts, but most of them had tons of fireball spells and even spells that basically created a singularity to suck the mall up.

And while the wizards do always fight and bicker, when problems of a serious nature come up they tend to react in a hive-minded way (i.e.: "TO THE LIBRARY!" from Light Fantastic)

And all Discworld wizards are always, always, ALWAYS shielded from magic so they don't get offed by it.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-30, 09:38 PM
And even the weakest of them is not afraid of rolling up his sleeves when the going gets tough and charging what amounts to Cthulhlu's inbred cousins armed with nothing more than a sock filled with half a brick, and winning. Or that earlier time he went hand to tentacle, pseudopod, chitenous scythe against the body of the most powerful wizard alive possessed by a vanguard from the Dungeon Dimensions.

EntilZha
2007-07-30, 11:32 PM
Of course Miko would win. Lancelot wouldn't even defend himself. He would never hit a girl, he's too chivalrous...:smalltongue:

Obviously you've never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"He killed my Auntie!!"
"You even kicked the bride in the chest!"

LOL!!

Gaelbert
2007-07-30, 11:46 PM
Bun-bun vs. Belkar Bitterleaf

Are you seriously asking that? Bun-Bun would win in 1 second flat. Remember, this is the one who
drove santa crazy
conquered all the holidays
got a black op elf organization to be his personal army
defeated an alien invasion
fought a regenerating alien to a draw
escaped from the outside of spacetime after being a pirate

I'd like to see 300 vs. the Last Samarui

Kurald Galain
2007-07-31, 04:41 AM
(re: Discworld vs. Harry Potter)

Death, basically a force of nature, beats Voldemort, who is basically human, hands down.

I disagree that the Death Eaters could take down Unseen University, because Discworld magic is way more powerful than anything in the Potterverse. Remember the Dean blowing up the shopping mall with simulaneous implosions, explosions, and fireworks? Death Eaters can't do that. Besides, in Order of the Phoenix, they get their butts kicked by a bunch of meddling kids.

Ridcully vs. Snape, same story. Ridcully managed to avoid being assassinated (the common fate of an archchancellor) for years, I'm sure he can stand his ground in a magical duel. The man has dealt with the Dungeon Dimensions, for crying out loud. Snape also got ownzored by a bunch of kids, several times, and unlike Ridcully he's mostly ineffective without his wand.

Oh and Gandalf vs. Sidious? The latter is an enhanced human, the former is a demigod. Guess who's stronger.

Aragorn vs. Stark... well, the best Eddard has done is fight several wars against his fellow humans. Aragorn has faced down a bunch of Nazgul and lived. My money's on the Strider.

Voldemort vs. Xykon vs. Mustrum Ridcully? I have a feeling the latter two will enjoy the fight of casting blowing upness at one another that bounces off their protective shielding. Voldy is basically ignored by both of them, and dies from collateral damage before he does anything useful. I'm not sure who would win.

If we want more destructive magicians in the fray, let's throw in Pug / Milamber, and Dr. Strange, and Belgarath. Of course, Dworkin Barimen would still beat them... :)

Jibar
2007-07-31, 06:44 AM
You said bonus points if we would find a picture?

BAM! (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49203846/)

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-31, 07:46 AM
Dr. Who vs. Anyone. Hands down, all the doctor. Name one opponent he couldn't beat.

Me (my sig-character), Jack Sparrow, Jack Bauer, John Mclane, McGyver, any of the SG-1 Team, Darth Vader, DareDevil, Grumnsh(a fellow players Sig-character), the guys from the Fast and the Furious, Riddick, Ellie Linton, the Postal Dude...

(note: list will update regularly...)

factotum
2007-07-31, 09:36 AM
Oh and Gandalf vs. Sidious? The latter is an enhanced human, the former is a demigod. Guess who's stronger.

Well, Gandalf isn't actually a demigod while in human form--he (and the other Istari) specifically chose to limit themselves to the powers that a human could possess, since otherwise it would have become a straight fight between them and Sauron which could have led to the destruction of large parts of the world (see the battle that ended Beleriand for an example). Of course, all that means is that Sidious kills Gandalf's human form, and the Maia Olorin then comes back for seconds and wipes the floor with him...

Actana
2007-07-31, 10:48 AM
How come nobody hasn't posted this yet?

Jack Bauer vs. Chuck Norris :smalleek:

It has been done before, but I can't remember the website.