PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Half Breeds

urmom
2016-11-20, 09:00 AM
Hello So in my campaign there is a dragon creature my players have to face and i was thinking about using a half-Dragon but im not sure how the half creatures work. it says "Increase from the base creature" does that mean i choose a race then just add the Half dragon race on top?

Inevitability
2016-11-20, 09:20 AM
Half-dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm), as you may have noted, isn't a complete creature. It's a set of instructions on how to modify an existing creature to make it a half-dragon.

For example, say you wanted to make a half-dragon human ranger. You'd take the statistics for a human ranger, then modify them in the way the template instructs you. For example, you'd change the type from 'humanoid' to 'dragon', you'd increase natural armor by 4, you'd give the ranger a breath weapon...

John Longarrow
2016-11-20, 09:23 AM
Exactly.

Take an ogre for instance.
You increase its HD from D8 to D10.
You give it a flight speed of 80 (twice its real base speed of 40) with average maneuverability.
You increase its Natural Armor from +5 to +9
ect...

Just go through what the template tells you to change line by line and update it.
NOTE: I'd update the stats first, that way you know how its going to change things likes its attacks, AC, init, Grapple, ect.. instead of having to do that twice.

urmom
2016-11-20, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Helps a lot