PDA

View Full Version : Early entry in to Sand Shaper?

SangoProduction
2016-11-20, 11:25 AM
I heard people say Precocious Apprentice could be used to enter early. But I don't see how that makes any difference...like...at all.

The Touchstone thing, you can get just by paying 250 gp (for a touchstone key, which may be destroyed to attune to the location) and 10 xp. That's trivial even at level 1. You don't need the ranks, since it's an "or" between the prerequisites.

Survival and Knowledge Nature can be done away with (even if you don't have a DM that allows the free allotment of skills) with the Apprentice feat.

The "Arcane caster level 5th" could be a bit more tricky though. But, there are plenty of feats that improve your caster level. I don't know of any that you can take before you get to level 5 though. Reserve feats don't work (even if you could qualify), because those increases are only while casting those spells.

How do I boost the Arcane Caster level?

Necroticplague
2016-11-20, 11:45 AM
I heard people say Precocious Apprentice could be used to enter early. But I don't see how that makes any difference...like...at all.

How do I boost the Arcane Caster level?

Not Precocious Apprentice, Practiced Spellcaster. Wizard 1/cleric 1. For your two domains, get Creation and Artifice, pick up Practiced Spellcaster. Your arcane CL would be 1(wizard)+1(practiced spellcaster)+3(the domains).

Or, if you can stand a bit of cheese: Wizard 1, Practiced spellcaster, Lycanthropy that gives you 4 at least HD. Qualifies, letting you enter. Then, once Sand Shaper has progressed your casting enough that it could self-qualify, cure yourselves of lycanthropy.

Mato
2016-11-20, 11:47 AM
The "Arcane caster level 5th" could be a bit more tricky though.I realize I'm saying this on GitP's forum, which loves arguing semantics almost as much as it loves language debates, but complete arcane on page 72 indicates that when calculating your CL for the purposes of meeting requirements you should only use your fixed or class level values.

Feats, items, and other variables are not included.

SangoProduction
2016-11-20, 12:29 PM
Not Precocious Apprentice, Practiced Spellcaster. Wizard 1/cleric 1. For your two domains, get Creation and Artifice, pick up Practiced Spellcaster. Your arcane CL would be 1(wizard)+1(practiced spellcaster)+3(the domains).

Or, if you can stand a bit of cheese: Wizard 1, Practiced spellcaster, Lycanthropy that gives you 4 at least HD. Qualifies, letting you enter. Then, once Sand Shaper has progressed your casting enough that it could self-qualify, cure yourselves of lycanthropy.

OK, that makes sense. Kinda...but it still only gives you bonus to caster level for casting conjuration spells. It doesn't actually straight up increase your caster level.

The lycanthropy thing is kinda cool, letting you get rid of useless levels. Does set you back a good deal until you can self-qualify.

I realize I'm saying this on GitP's forum, which loves arguing semantics almost as much as it loves language debates, but complete arcane on page 72 indicates that when calculating your CL for the purposes of meeting requirements you should only use your fixed or class level values.

Feats, items, and other variables are not included.
Oh. Never heard of that rule before. I'll see what the DM thinks of that.

ShurikVch
2016-11-20, 12:42 PM
Pay for spellcasting service: arcane variant of Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm)

SangoProduction
2016-11-20, 12:48 PM
Pay for spellcasting service: arcane variant of Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm)

What's that supposed to do?

ShurikVch
2016-11-20, 01:07 PM
What's that supposed to do?It will grant you ability to cast spell(s); CL will be not your, but the "original" caster's; since IwSA is a 4th level spell, CL shouldn't be below 5, but, just in case, you can make sure it's 5+ - because payment for service depend on CL (200 gp for CL 5, or 280 - CL 7)

rrwoods
2016-11-20, 01:10 PM
... Creation and Artifice give you +3 caster level for casting Conjuration (creation) spells. Not in general, and certainly not for fulfilling prerequisites.

Mato
2016-11-20, 01:16 PM
Oh. Never heard of that rule before. I'll see what the DM thinks of that.That's a self-answering outcome. Either he'll follow it and you can't enter early or he's willing to negotiate to let you enter earlier than intended and you should just ask him how he, your DM, wants you to obtain this early entry.

But if you still need help with the rest of your character, or your DM's answer is a a little too complicated and you still need some help with entry, don't hesitate. Feel free to reach out to us again, we're always happy to help.

Necroticplague
2016-11-20, 01:38 PM
... Creation and Artifice give you +3 caster level for casting Conjuration (creation) spells. Not in general, and certainly not for fulfilling prerequisites.

Caster level is caster level is caster level. The prerequisite never says the arcane caster level has to be in general, so any specific version of arcane caster level in sufficient quantities works. Arcane Caster Level 5 when casting conjuration(creation) spells is still arcane caster level 5.

SangoProduction
2016-11-20, 01:54 PM
Draconic Power (feat) increases Caster Level by 1.

rrwoods
2016-11-20, 02:15 PM
Caster level is caster level is caster level. The prerequisite never says the arcane caster level has to be in general, so any specific version of arcane caster level in sufficient quantities works. Arcane Caster Level 5 when casting conjuration(creation) spells is still arcane caster level 5.
That's an extremely narrow reading. I get where you're coming from, but ... man. Ok.

Also, even within that reading, the rule says you "cast conjuration (creation) spells at caster level +3", not that your caster level actually is at +3, so it's even shakier. Do you need to be casting a conjuration spell while you level?

Ezekiul
2016-11-20, 02:32 PM
Duergar is also a way to get into Sand Shaper at ECL 4.

The savage progression LA 0 gives enlarge person at a caster level equal to x2 your hitdice, a caster level which can be used to qualify for the class.

So Duergar Wiz 3/Sand Shaper X is totally viable.

Troacctid
2016-11-20, 03:17 PM
Complete Mage indicates that SLAs are innate, not arcane or divine, IIRC.