PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dealing with a player who would betray the party for money

theonesin
2016-11-20, 12:17 PM
I'm in a Pathfinder campaign with 5 other PCs(we just hit level 2) where recently the party was framed for killing the king, while the king himself sneaked and stowed away on the ship his right-hand man owns(that the party was using). While our ship was traveling to our next destination, I was told by another PC who heard that one of the PC, a Soulknife, talked to the king and threatened to reveal that he's still alive if the king didn't offer protection for the mob family he's part of.

I didn't much care for the king after this point, but didn't like what was going on anyway, so I confronted the Soulknife. During that talk, the Soulknife said(not in exact words) that if paid an "insane" amount of gold, he would be willing to betray the party, and that "everyone has their price". Later on, OOC, the player said the amount he meant was something like "only an amount a king would own", even though criminals(like his mob family) could potentially have that much too.

The party didn't start the campaign as friends, and we've been together maybe a month at most. My character(even mentioned in his background) doesn't trust easily, and he's now VERY suspicious of the Soulknife, and I'm trying to think of what to do about the situation. I thought about cooking up an elaborate plan to have a trusted NPC offer "ludicrous" amounts of gold to the Soulknife in exchange for killing a party member, or if that's too extreme, luring a party member to a certain location where something else can happen(no, I wouldn't let him actually kill anyone). Just to see if the Soulknife would actually go through with the betrayal. But when I talked to a friend outside the group, he was worried the player might easily see through my plan and metagame out of it somehow.

Any advice on how to deal with this situation? I really don't want this to lead to killing a fellow PC, but IC the character is coming across as very dangerous to the party.

Segev
2016-11-20, 12:26 PM
You're going about this wrong. This is not an IC problem unless it is made one. The key here is that the PC will only be motivated to betray the party for an enormous sum.

So OOC, talk to the group about whether it is good for the game to have that possibility. If it isn't, then simply agree, OOC, not to have the situation arise. The GM won't offer "enough" to get him to betray, and he won't orchestrate situations where he'd betray if not paid that ludicrous sum.

icefractal
2016-11-20, 03:23 PM
Something that's confusing me - what is the king currently offering the party to play along with the whole "being wanted for regicide" thing, instead of revealing that he's alive and clearing their names? Or is this a plan that you're intentionally part of?

theonesin
2016-11-20, 04:41 PM
Something that's confusing me - what is the king currently offering the party to play along with the whole "being wanted for regicide" thing, instead of revealing that he's alive and clearing their names? Or is this a plan that you're intentionally part of?

The king agreed to pardon us if we take him to his destination(he'll send a secret letter to the stand-in king that's currently in place), and may offer an extra reward past that. Apparently he has to investigate stuff in-person but no one can know about him.

icefractal
2016-11-20, 04:59 PM
The king agreed to pardon us if we take him to his destination(he'll send a secret letter to the stand-in king that's currently in place), and may offer an extra reward past that. Apparently he has to investigate stuff in-person but no one can know about him.Pardon ... from a situation he created in the first place. So basically shanghai'd, with a possible but uncertain future reward.

In that case, it doesn't seem that odd for a more mercenary-minded character to try and extract a more concrete compensation. No more unscrupulous than what many PCs do on a daily basis.

But that said, it also makes sense that your character may disagree. If you're ok with one of the characters not joining the party as a possible outcome, just play it out IC and see where things go. If you want to be sure they both stay, collaborate OOC with the other player about how that can happen.

Katrina
2016-11-21, 04:07 AM
Well, barring the slightly meta solution that Segev suggested, my reaction would depend on my character's alignment and personality. IC solutions for IC problems. Majority of my good characters would all but refuse to deal with the Soulknife. A man I can't trust to have my back is worse than a man who can't stab me in the back because he doesn't exist. My evil characters would turn his own logic against him and take "measures" to ensure that he didn't become a threat. Depending on the character, these would range from Cash payments to Magical Compulsion or execution. Most of my neutral characters (something I'm playing progressively less of that aren't rogues.) would probably judge him based on whether they think they can take him in a fight. Then they would likely leave the party or ask him to leave. Note that good and neutral characters would likely also drag this little secret of his kicking and screaming into the light.

That being said, my group doesn't mind a bit of IC drama. Your milage may vary.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-21, 01:11 PM
Mal: How come you didn't turn on me, Jayne?
Jayne: Money wasn't good enough.
Mal: What happens when it is?
Jayne: Well... that'll be an interesting day.
Mal: Imagine it will.

Lacco
2016-11-21, 01:49 PM
Geralt of Rivia (a.k.a. The Witcher): "But after all, you are not ordinary vampire."
Emiel Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy: "How much?"
Geralt, his voice cold as ice: "I doubt whether anyone could afford it."
The Vampire: "I understand and thank you", he said smiling, this time baring his teeth. The others stepped back and one of them stifled a cry. "Farewell. Good luck."
Geralt: "Farewell. The same to you".

Sooo... is it really a problem? I understand that your character (and OOC also you) are nervous - but as you stated, your characters barely know each other and the soulknife with mercenary attitude already gave you the highest compliment any mercenary gives his friends. "A king would have to empty his coffers for me to betray you."

I agree with Segev - it's not a problem until a GM decides that a king really empties his coffers... :smallsmile:. I wouldn't try to set up an IC situation where the PC is offered the insane sum - mostly because if you go through with it, the soulknife may think you don't trust him. And may take the contract :smallwink:.

But this could be turned into wonderful IC exchanges such as the one Stealth Marmot provided. Or even a "game" where your PC gives him crazy offers and asks if he would be willing to kill somebody for them.

If you are still not sure, I would just discuss it with the player. Tell him that you are not sure how your PC could trust him and maybe you'll find a way to prove his allegiance to the party.
Or just roll with it. Watch him and give him time.