PDA

View Full Version : 'Spontaneous' inflict on duskblade//archivist?

Xhosant
2016-11-20, 04:16 PM
So, Greenspawn Zealots (MM V) cast their 'inflict' spells vampirically. I'm combining this with a duskblade//archivist in a gestalt game (i can channel archivist spells by our DM).

Picking Archivist over Cleric keeps the build less MAD, but it means I can't spontaneous-cast my bread-and-butter Inflicts. Any way to fix that? Ways it could happen being:

Archivist PrC that grants it.
Ways to spend my Duskblade slots with/for Archivist spells.
Ways to add the whole Inflict line to my Duskblade.
???

So, any ideas?

ShurikVch
2016-11-20, 06:02 PM
Archivist PrC that grants it.
Nosomatic Chirurgeon (Dragonmarked)

Ways to add the whole Inflict line to my Duskblade.
Rainbow Servant may give it, but what's your alignment?
Not the whole list, but Destruction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#destructionDomain) domain may give you Inflict Light/Critical/Light Wounds, Mass; and if you want Inflict Minor Wounds - Fiendish Pact (Dragon #338)

So, any ideas?How about the Spontaneous Wounder from Complete Divine?

Xhosant
2016-11-20, 06:17 PM
Chirurgeon is ideal, but hard to get the dragonmark of healing on a greenspawn zealot. Any trick to bypass that?

Tiamat worshipper makes nonevil tricky, i fear. Nice one, though!

ShurikVch
2016-11-21, 04:21 AM
How about the Spontaneous Wounder from Complete Divine?

Chirurgeon is ideal, but hard to get the dragonmark of healing on a greenspawn zealot. Any trick to bypass that?Capstone of Cataclysm Mage PrC (Explorer's Handbook)

Xhosant
2016-11-21, 04:51 AM
Spontaneous wounder needs wisdom, sadly.

Cataclysm mage, while very interesting, is a huge level investment. Don't think I can fit it :/

Currently checking if I can swing Reincarnation and its relationship with dragonmarks.

Troacctid
2016-11-21, 01:54 PM
Dweomerkeeper?

Zaq
2016-11-21, 01:59 PM
This is actually fairly difficult specifically because the designers expected that basically everyone who would cast Inflict spells would cast them spontaneously anyway. (This obviously isn't true, but from the perspective of the designers, it kind of makes sense—they're only on the Cleric list by default, and Evil Clerics can spontaneously Inflict. Clerics who channel positive energy might occasionally prepare an Inflict, but that's about it, at least for the core rules.) So the designers probably didn't think it would be a useful or interesting thing to grant an ability you'd be expected to have anyway.

The methods that I know about (Spontaneous Wounder and Nosomatic Chirurgeon) have been mentioned already. You might try to get domain access somehow, since I think there are a couple of ways to cast domain spells spontaneously, though I can't recall offhand how much investment it requires to be able to do something like that, and the opportunity cost may be prohibitive.

I mean, this isn't necessarily helpful advice, but maybe just explain to your GM what you want to do, and just try asking nicely to be able to learn Inflict spells as Duskblade spells? You don't get that many Duskblade spells known, so there's still a cost, and they won't advance in level as fast as your Archivist spells would. I doubt it would be especially overpowered to just allow it. Obviously, that's explicit GM rule-bending rather than a clever RAW trick, but it might not hurt to ask.

Troacctid
2016-11-21, 02:33 PM
This is actually fairly difficult specifically because the designers expected that basically everyone who would cast Inflict spells would cast them spontaneously anyway. (This obviously isn't true, but from the perspective of the designers, it kind of makes sense—they're only on the Cleric list by default, and Evil Clerics can spontaneously Inflict. Clerics who channel positive energy might occasionally prepare an Inflict, but that's about it, at least for the core rules.) So the designers probably didn't think it would be a useful or interesting thing to grant an ability you'd be expected to have anyway.
Blackguards are Core, and they have inflict spells without spontaneous casting.

Zaq
2016-11-21, 02:47 PM
Blackguards are Core, and they have inflict spells without spontaneous casting.

Hmm. You appear to be right about that. I tend to forget that Blackguard spells exist, so that's a fair point.

Still, the larger point stands. The fact that Spontaneous Wounder and Nosomatic Chirurgeon exist is still actually kind of surprising when you consider how difficult it is to get Inflicts on your list without getting them spontaneously. (There's a Cleric who spontaneously Cures or who somehow trades away their ability to Inflict, there's Archivist, and then there's a few rare PrCs that grant their own casting, like Blackguard, Ur-Priest, and Pious Templar, and I suppose a carefully-chosen Divine Champion. Is that it, at least without using something to hack a spell onto a list it wouldn't normally be on? I wouldn't be surprised if I missed one or two more PrCs, but the fact that we have to do this much book diving certainly says something.)

Xhosant
2016-11-21, 05:38 PM
Dweomerkeeper would do it, and is pretty accessible at it! Any way to get a Magic domain with minimal effort, particularly no levels spent and while worshipping Tiamat?

LordOfCain
2016-11-21, 05:41 PM
Dweomerkeeper would do it, and is pretty accessible at it! Any way to get a Magic domain with minimal effort, particularly no levels spent and while worshipping Tiamat?

Planar touchstone works.

Xhosant
2016-11-21, 06:06 PM
Planar touchstone works.

The Catalogues grant the power, not the domain, right? Does this count anyway? Is there another touchstone for the job?

LordOfCain
2016-11-21, 06:23 PM
The Catalogues grant the power, not the domain, right? Does this count anyway? Is there another touchstone for the job?

Hm... I thought they granted the domain but not spells if you weren't a cleric? I would check with someone more experience with them.

Troacctid
2016-11-21, 07:03 PM
A domain is a set of 9 spells plus a domain-granted power. The Catalogues only give you the granted power; this does not count as having the whole domain.

The following prestige classes can add the Magic domain to one of your spellcasting classes: Contemplative, Seeker of the Misty Isle, Mystic Keeper of Corellon Larethian, Divine Emissary, Sovereign Speaker, Divine Agent, Divine Disciple, and Singer of Concordance. Of these, only Seeker of the Misty Isle can grant it to a character whose deity does not offer the domain; it is normally elf-only, but it also contains the following note:

Adaptation: This prestige class is both race- and deity-specific, but you can file off the serial numbers and use it for any group of elite wanderers. The flavor of the class is a romanticized version of the French Foreign Legion—a group composed of people who want to start their lives over, far from everything they know.

LordOfCain
2016-11-21, 07:07 PM
Okay, I just knew that they grant domain things. I didn't know if they were the entire domains or just the powers.

Troacctid
2016-11-21, 07:13 PM
If you can't swing Seeker of the Misty Isle, then you can also use any prestige class that grants any domain whatsoever (see my sig for a list), and then take the Heretic of the Faith feat to switch it for the Magic domain; however, this does have some story ramifications that you'd need to be comfortable with.

LordOfCain
2016-11-21, 07:14 PM
If you can't swing Seeker of the Misty Isle, then you can also use any prestige class that grants any domain whatsoever, and then take the Heretic of the Faith feat to switch it for the Magic domain; however, this does have some story ramifications that you'd need to be comfortable with.

But they do add to roleplaying IMHO, so may be a plus.

Xhosant
2016-11-21, 08:04 PM
Nice!

So now I'm looking at either nosonatic with reincarnation, or domain->heretic->dweomerkeeper.

Any cheap and easy ways to get a domain? Addable to archivist without level loss is a plus!

Troacctid
2016-11-21, 08:32 PM
Nice!

So now I'm looking at either nosonatic with reincarnation, or domain->heretic->dweomerkeeper.

Any cheap and easy ways to get a domain? Addable to archivist without level loss is a plus!
I believe Divine Oracle, Earthshaker, Dracolyte, Divine Disciple, Seeker of the Misty Isle, and Contemplative can all do it with no loss of casting.

Xhosant
2016-11-21, 09:02 PM
Divine oracle it is! 2 feats for entry into Dweomerkeeper into lvl6 isn't bad, even if it's a slow, progressive 'spontaneous cast' gain.

Plus, a Greenspawn Zealot archivist, that dables in divination to answer his question, how can dragons be so magical in nature, while their parents don't hold domain over magic? And a level later, he resolves that makes no sense, therefore preaching Tiamat as a goddess of magic, too.

Troacctid
2016-11-21, 11:48 PM
You can get the Skill Focus for 2000 gp via the Frog God's Fane (CS 145) and save yourself a feat slot.