PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magus, mesmerist, unchained summoner or spiritualist?

D4rkh0rus
2016-11-20, 05:10 PM
I have a campaign coming up in a few weeks, and I was deciding what to make for my character. But I can't decide between making a magus (eldritch archer), a mesmerist (probably with thrown weapons or short ranged stuff), an unchained summoner or a spiritualist (probably melee)

The campaign will be heavily RP focused, there will probably be few encounters but hard ones (think 15 minute adventuring day, but with the other 23 hours and 45 minutes being spent hiding from the law and solving problems).
All 1st party Paizo stuff is allowed, but any class with unchained has to be unchained (so no normal summoner).
Also of note, the 3.P enchants and feats are also allowed (so for example, guided).

Now, I know no class is innately better than another when they have the same general setup (in this case they are all medium BAB classes with 6th lvl spell casting and a single main gimmick.) So I instead would like them to be ranked individually based on some common parameters that I expect to see in the campaign:

Combat (for all intents and purposes, assume that any spell that has less than hours/level can only be cast *during* combat):
Durability- how much punishment can the class take. 1-5 (1 being made of paper, 5 being unkillable).
Saves - the gm likes throwing saves left and right, ranking them all similarly *1-5 (1 being incapable of saving for his life, 5 being a paladin with +20 charisma mod).*
Damage - how much damage can it dish out *1-5 (1 being none and 5 being one shot bosses every round (assume that average AC is being used for each lvl)).*
Control - battlefield control and de buffing,such as fogs or (AoE) save or sucks *1-5 (1 being none, 5 being all the time).*

Out of combat:
Social - charisma based stuff *1-5 (1 being none, 5 being all kinds of support)*.
Infiltration - stealth, lock picking etc. *1-5 (1 being none, 5 being all kinds of support)*.
Problem solving - from forgeries to distractions, anything to make the powerful looking guard turn the other way around. *1-5 (1 being none, 5 being all kinds of support)*.

If you have the time to fill out that, and post it, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you guys for reading :p.

Arutema
2016-11-20, 07:02 PM
Of the given classes, the Mesmerist will be the one most likely to handle Cha based skills. As a Cha based caster with 6 skill points it ranks just below the bard in out of combat utility (lacking versatile performance). Its psychic spells use thought and emotion components instead of verbal and somatic, so your casting may be less obvious to untrained NPCs. (But still obvious enough that spellcraft checks allow your spell to be identified).

Like bard, it gets only light armor. Unlike bard, there's no spell failure for its psychic spells if you wear heavier armor. (Armor has a failure chance for arcane spells with somatic components. Psychic casting is not arcane, and has no somatic components.)

In the campaign you describe, mesmerist sounds great for discretely solving problems by charming the right individuals, and can handle the controller role fine in battle.

I would not want to play a summoner in such a game. Your combat prowess depends on a big obvious outsider with a glowing rune mark to match yours. Bringing him into this plane takes a full minute, so he's either always there, blowing your cover, or he shows up too late for every combat.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-11-20, 07:20 PM
I'll back what Arutema said. As for the magus and spiritualist, the magus would be a mix of a fighter and a wizard in similar roles, minus the wizard's utility. They are my favorite class, but it can be difficult to adapt them to a heavily social campaign. But hey, anything can be done, but they don't cover as much as the mesmerist, who aces charisma skills, sneak-stuff, and battlefield control, making up for it with more direct damage. The spiritualist is similar to the summoner, but is much more subtle, in that they can store their phantom in their mind. They're pretty fun.

D4rkh0rus
2016-11-20, 07:30 PM
I see, thanks, that does make sense. What about comparing spiritualist to mesmerist?

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-11-20, 07:39 PM
Less skills, a little more utility in the list (and much less debuffing), though depending on your archetype, lots can change. The phantom won't be as big a combat beast, but has a lot more utility. Plus, the phantom can do some fun stuff; anger/hatred are your big damage phantoms, while others can debuff or tank.

D4rkh0rus
2016-11-21, 01:50 AM
Ok. If anyone else wants to add their 2 copper, please, go right ahead!

Kurald Galain
2016-11-21, 03:36 AM
In terms of 15-minute adventuring day, few classes can nova as well as the Magus.
Consider that he also has the best utility magic of the classes you mention, and good skill points (due to having a high intelligence).
Spend a trait to have diplomacy or bluff key off intelligence instead of charisma, and you're all set for a social campaign.
One advantage of the Magus is that whenever you're unarmed, you can grab a random piece of wood, spend a pool point, and now you have a +2 Shocking Club.