PDA

View Full Version : Flaws and Traits on animal cohort

Melcar
2016-11-20, 05:42 PM
Is it possible to give your mount cohort flaws and traits when they gain their first level of character classes?

Thanks

DrMotives
2016-11-20, 06:17 PM
By RAW, cohort feats and all decisions about how to level up are made by the DM, not the player. If your cohort is an animal, remember it cannot gain class levels without at least an intelligence of 3 or more. It can still gain new RHD according to its type, and the warbeast template adds 1 HD as well, with all normal effects of gaining a level in addition to the template's other bonuses.

Ruethgar
2016-11-20, 08:07 PM
Technically it should be possible to Shuffle Flaws onto them, however it goes against the clause that they are supposed to be added in character creation. It also says you can acquire and lose them over time, but that's in GM territory. So apart from being cheesy, it is also against the RAI of flaws.

Jay R
2016-11-20, 09:05 PM
You're wanting an exception to the rules, not something included in them. Ask the DM.

Melcar
2016-11-21, 02:34 AM
I'm simply wanting to know if its allowed to give a 21 HD, 4 Fighter flaws and traits. One could argue, that character creation started at HD 22, when it gets its first character class. Rest is just RHD from various Special mount/ animal companion/ templates. As far as I remember flaws are taken at level 1, not HD 1, but I could be mistaken.

Jay R
2016-11-21, 09:03 AM
I'm simply wanting to know if its allowed to give a 21 HD, 4 Fighter flaws and traits.

Then ask your DM. Nobody else can answer, because if "it's allowed", then the person allowing it is the DM.

One could argue, that character creation started at HD 22, when it gets its first character class.

Yes, one can so argue. The person to argue it to is the DM.

Really. You want something not clearly covered by the rules, so you need your DM's permission. That's the only answer we can give you.

Melcar
2016-11-21, 09:17 AM
Then ask your DM. Nobody else can answer, because if "it's allowed", then the person allowing it is the DM.

Yes, one can so argue. The person to argue it to is the DM.

Really. You want something not clearly covered by the rules, so you need your DM's permission. That's the only answer we can give you.

I get your point. I was simple stating that the rules are somewhat open to interpretation, as this forum has proved many times. I was asking in terms of RAW, but also seem to have touched upon something that is not easily answered that way.

Jay R
2016-11-21, 11:37 AM
Yup. You are asking for something that no rules have been written for. Therefore, there is no such thing as RAW.