View Full Version : Can you make real use of reckless attack without rage

djreynolds
2016-11-21, 03:24 AM
Rage for most barbarians, other than bear-totem, is really just a non-concentration form of stoneskin minus some other goodies, strength saves and rage damage

Not just feasible, but would it be sensible if I was an eldritch knight in full plate and took 2 level of barbarian but not for rage, but for reckless attack and danger sense.

Assuming chainmail 16AC, greatsword, and spamming the shield spell... this could potentially help out with the advantage enemy attackers would get after I began the turn with reckless attack.

I'm assuming I can hold a greatsword in one hand and cast the shield spell as a reaction, but obviously war caster would be grabbed at some point, could it work.

Obviously the stoneskin spell is far down the road for an eldritch knight.

Is it advisable using reckless attack without rage, and is the shield spell strong enough to beat the enemy's advantage.

Sirdar
2016-11-21, 04:15 AM
The Reckless Eldritch Knight!

Love it - who cares if it is sensible? Swing that greatsword and defend yourself with the shield spell. When your spell slots are gone, you go Hulk and rage.

Play it dj, play it!

Edit: I assume your DM will allow you to break your chain mail to pieces (heavy armor -> no armor) when you go Hulk and rage in that final epic battle... :smallwink:

Battlebooze
2016-11-21, 04:28 AM
Sure, a Rogue can make good use of it, especially with uncanny dodge. Also, you can do cheesy things like attack reckless attack, then use your bonus rogue action to disengage and then run somewhere safe behind cover or allies.

Ahh I missed the point. I should read the first post and not just the title. Shield will help, it roughly equals out to canceling Advantage, but you will still eat crits more often. It's gutsy way to go though, and if you've got good AC and hit points it might work.

Giant2005
2016-11-21, 05:16 AM
Once you can pick up Blur it will be fine (Blur will cancel the Advantage against you). Although I think you would be weaker than an EK that stayed pure and used Blur, Shield, Heavy Armor, a Shield, and the Defense Fighting Style to be basically immune to attacks.

djreynolds
2016-11-21, 07:10 AM
I was looking at cough, cough... true strike... and I realized... it sucks.

And I tried the shield master route, when realized reckless attack doesn't need rage, and danger sense you can be in armor.

I thought of a paladin as well with GWM and reckless attack and shield of faith, etc. But EK quickly gets the shield spell at 3rd, and I here disadvantage is something like equivalent to -5.

I just wasn't sure if others used reckless attack, when they were not raging... they seem made for each other.

Maxilian
2016-11-21, 09:21 AM
Have in mind that as a EK, if you happen to take the Find Familiar spell, it basically gives you advantage on your first attack (Sadly it only work on one of your attacks not all of them)

Tanarii
2016-11-21, 09:38 AM
Is it advisable using reckless attack without rage, and is the shield spell strong enough to beat the enemy's advantage.
It's often advisable for a Barbarian to Reckless Attack without rage, and they only have AC 14 at level 2, unless the party found a sufficiently large hoard at level 1, and they spent their 50gp for +1 to +2 AC. If you have GWM (variant human or at level 4) it's usually more than advisable. It's generally a requirement.

There are some times it's not worth using reckless (while not raging), so it is still a tactical choice you have to make. Most commonly if you're seriously surrounded in melee by lower CR brutes, or you're facing a single very high CR melee brute. (Reckless penalizes you for any attack roll, but IMX generally melee when you most often know for sure you're going to end up being targeted.)

Joe the Rat
2016-11-21, 09:39 AM
Reckless Attack is also a good response to Pack Tactics, Being Prone, Restrained, Blinded, etc. If your opponent already has Advantage, there's no cost to being Reckless.

djreynolds
2016-12-25, 02:35 AM
Yes, this works like a charm.

I ran out of the shield spell quickly, warlock pact magic good for any spells you have?

Especially at 7th level and war magic, I broke down and used BB/GFB... crazy nasty.

Could really work with any build, such as a 2 paladin/2 barbarian/16 sorcerer if you wanted.