PDA

View Full Version : Would it be OP to just make a 4EL monk's stuff invocation based

djreynolds
2016-11-21, 04:08 AM
Could you use for the 4EL monk, invocations for their elemental powers instead of KI points?

My kid is playing an 11th level 4EL monk, she used up all her KI points in 3 rounds.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could have repelling fists? KI spear kicks.

gfishfunk
2016-11-21, 10:05 AM
Yes, and I'm going to go on a massive tangent that is only peripherally related.

But First, I think you could re-write the elemental powers to be invocation style things, but it would be more limited rather than less limiting. Invocations are typically 1 use before a long rest for anything combat related and at will for anything that provides either no or a tangential benefit. Levitate, for example, is tangential. Possibly useful, but not where it really shines. Bestow Curse is a once per long rest spell and combat oriented (though it has out of combat uses as well, of course).

Auxiliary effect type of invocations (like knock back on Eldritch Blast) would be the type of thing I could see being added. Something like an invocation that allowed your Dex modifier on damage to be a damage type (an unarmed strike deals 1d6 bludgeoning and 4 Fire damage, for example).

And now for my complete left turn: Warlock is one of the most customizable classes and one that I find myself enjoying more and more. I really don't care for the fluff, and I'm not big on the pure damage potential of super Eldritch Blast (just achieving high damage is boring, imo). Instead, I really enjoy the sheer amount of choices that you get to make with the class: Pact, Boon, Spells, Invocations -- that provides a lot of choice and customization, even if in practice people typically choose the same things.

I was toying with the idea of redesigning one or another class with the same idea: provide multiple customization choices that allow for a lot of different build options.

Monk is as good as any place to start. How about:

- Tradition (tone down the ones that are there currently), Stance (provides movement and area control), Discipline (invocation-esque benefits), and Style (weapon based and unarmed based options).

You don't need tons of stuff in each field.