PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Curing Male Pattern Baldness in 5E

Edgerunner
2016-11-21, 07:29 AM
Running a male Deep Gnome and they are Bald. What I need is a way to either Grow Hair or a way to attach a wig Permanently. Lets try and keep it down to lvl 6 spells or below so no Wish spells.

Is this possible in 5E?

Willie the Duck
2016-11-21, 07:52 AM
Just to set some more boundaries, what about:
polymorph effects?
illusions?

hymer
2016-11-21, 07:56 AM
Insofar as it's something to be 'cured', a simple Lesser Restoration could do the trick. You have to label it a disease, though. I'd say a few applications of an hours' worth of Medicine (cha) or Insight (cha) checks could probably teach you to live with it.

Gastronomie
2016-11-21, 08:12 AM
Deep Gnomes get the Disguise Self spell as a Feat, so you could pose yourself as having an afro or whatever you want (although it's not all day).

Otherwise, the only real way is to buy a wig. Not many spells have permanent effects.

NecroDancer
2016-11-21, 08:16 AM
Perhaps "remove curse"?

"Regenerate" should do the trick but it's a 7th level spell.

Occasional Sage
2016-11-21, 08:30 AM
Deep Gnomes get the Disguise Self spell as a Feat, so you could pose yourself as having an afro or whatever you want (although it's not all day).

Otherwise, the only real way is to buy a wig and a stapler. Not many spells have permanent effects.

Fixed that.

Maxilian
2016-11-21, 08:44 AM
Perhaps "remove curse"?

"Regenerate" should do the trick but it's a 7th level spell.

None would work as they are bald by nature, he's not cursed and he don't have anything to regenerate, OP you could:

A) Get Reincarnated (you will most likely reincarnate in something with hair

-Then you Reincarnate in a bald High Elf :P -

B) True Polymorph yourself into another version of yourself with hair (White silky hair -To have it clash a lot with well... You-

TundraBuccaneer
2016-11-21, 08:47 AM
entangle? :smalltongue:

Joe the Rat
2016-11-21, 09:48 AM
Disguise self, or alter self if you need it to stand up to close contact. Or a disguise kit and sovereign glue (or any other glue for that matter).
Or be a female Svirfneblin. They have hair.

I suppose the real question is why do you need hair?

entangle? :smalltongue:
I'd allow it.

tieren
2016-11-21, 10:04 AM
You can't fabricate living hair but you could probably fabricate a wig.

Maybe an actual illusion school wizard could use illusory reality to make "real" hair?

Edgerunner
2016-11-21, 10:06 AM
sovereign glue

I suppose the real question is why do you need hair?

That's The Ticket right There!
How much would it cost for 1 application of Sovereign Glue???

The reason I "need" it.......
Well I am trying to keep a magic item, that would be devastating to lose, hidden Under the hair. Yea it's a bit of overkill but my DM loves taking away magic items once we come to depend on them.

ruy343
2016-11-21, 11:15 AM
Um... the second level transmutation spell Alter Self allows a character to grow fangs, fur, and claws which can even be used to make melee weapon attacks with (and count as magic weapons!). I don't think that it has a written-in upcast option, but I consider a homebrew upcast option to allow longer durations of the spell (perhaps permanent at around 7th level...? After all, attacking for 1d6+str with a +1 magic weapon attached to your body certainly isn't overpowered by the time you can cast 7th level spells...)

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-21, 11:21 AM
Does Sovereign Glue still exist in 5e? That should keep a wig on for the rest of your life.

SharkForce
2016-11-21, 11:49 AM
Does Sovereign Glue still exist in 5e? That should keep a wig on for the rest of your life.

oh, absolutely.

Well I am trying to keep a magic item, that would be devastating to lose, hidden Under the hair. Yea it's a bit of overkill but my DM loves taking away magic items once we come to depend on them.

heh. well, i got some bad news for you.

sovereign glue is, apparently, legendary. now, you get 1d6+1 doses, and it is consumable, so it should be half as expensive as a normal item, and probably ~1/5 the cost for a single dose (average of d6+1 is 4.5, so being generous we'll call that 5).

but, since we're starting at legendary, it's still unreasonable expensive.

about the closest thing i might suggest is that you could arguably invent a curse that causes hair to grow on your head. it requires DM's permission, but the bestow curse spell does broadly allow more or less anything you can convince your DM is a curse of roughly equivalent power to the ones in the book, or less.

of course, this has the drawback that now you have cursed hair as opposed to just regular hair. but it should work. probably. maybe.

Temperjoke
2016-11-21, 12:41 PM
Can't you hide it in your beard?

Stan
2016-11-21, 12:53 PM
How about you or a comrade learn to use a disguise kit so you have a wig that looks natural?

pwykersotz
2016-11-21, 06:27 PM
How about you or a comrade learn to use a disguise kit so you have a wig that looks natural?

Yes, natural. This Deep Gnome needs a shimmering, golden, flock of seagulls style wig immediately.

Sigreid
2016-11-21, 06:31 PM
I suggest instead of a wig you get sovereign glue and glue an octopus to your head. It'll be all the rage in Waterdeep by the end of the week.

Rysto
2016-11-21, 07:06 PM

Does trying to outsmart the DM like this ever actually work? It seems to me that if the DM really wants to take away your magic items, he will. All it takes is a casting of Detect Magic to find it, after all, unless you want to glue a lead plate to your head.

SethoMarkus
2016-11-21, 07:37 PM
Why not just sovereign glue the item to yourself directly?

Rerem115
2016-11-21, 07:44 PM
I remember reading somewhere that wizards can spend time researching how to create a specific spell, all at the DM's discretion, of course. I know that's basically homebrew, but it's (capital w) Wizards approved homebrew. With that in mind, just commission a wizard to design a spell that will cause hair to naturally grow.

Crgaston
2016-11-21, 07:54 PM

Are body cavity searches a thing in 5e? :-)

MaxWilson
2016-11-21, 08:49 PM
Does trying to outsmart the DM like this ever actually work? It seems to me that if the DM really wants to take away your magic items, he will. All it takes is a casting of Detect Magic to find it, after all, unless you want to glue a lead plate to your head.

Only a bad DM views "trying to outsmart the monsters" and "trying to outsmart the DM" as synonymous. You cannot be a good DM unless you are prepared to "lose" over and over and over again.

Does trying to outsmart the monsters ever work? Depends on the monsters, but yes, sometimes.

lordarkness
2016-11-22, 06:36 AM
Can't believe no one suggested the hair club for gnomes. Gnomgaine?

You could always train a guard animal to live on your head.

It's a bad sign when your campaign implies cavity searches.

Which makes me wonder, if you keep a wand of summoning up your butt can you stave off starvation indefinitely?

Lawful Good
2016-11-22, 07:57 AM
Which makes me wonder, if you keep a wand of summoning up your butt can you stave off starvation indefinitely?

My good sir, I just spit out my yogurt.

In answer to the question, I dont have a hard time believing that if you find a large city wizard, he'll probably have had others come to him with a baldness problem.

Spore
2016-11-22, 08:33 AM
Wild Sorcerers could do it. Try to reduce your age by rolling the right surge. Have your hair fall out and regrow in 24 hours (although any fun DM would have you regrow pattern baldness)

B) True Polymorph yourself into another version of yourself with hair (White silky hair -To have it clash a lot with well... You-

That is a valid reason to even have this as a character's main goal.

Paladin: "So your goal was to attain eternal youth all along! You know this is unnatural and I will put a stop to that."
Wizard: "Nonono, I do not want to live forever. This would be so vain. I just wanted....hair." *shakes flowing mane in the wind*
Wizard player: Check this out, my new character picture. ('http://www.fabioifc.com/Bookcover_plus/FABIO_head_shot_tank.jpg').

Sir cryosin
2016-11-22, 09:34 AM
Take a lesson form Jim Dark Magic and just keister it. Aka stick it up your butt if your that worried about it. Hold up what magic item are you trying to keep.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-22, 09:55 AM
i got some bad news for you.

sovereign glue is, apparently, legendary.

Homebrew to the rescue!

Titan Glue. Alchemical compound, 25gp per pint.
Titan glue is a strong and fast-setting adhesive. One application of 4 fl.oz. sets completely in one round and can support 500 lbs of weight before breaking. Substances bonded by titan glue require a DC 20 Strength check to separate.

Equally, you could brew up some kind of Potion of Hair Growth, which would probably be cheaper and/or herbal in nature.

Dalebert
2016-11-22, 09:59 AM
It's pure fluff. Just put in your backstory that you have a distant halfling ancestor and thus were born with hair.

Spacehamster
2016-11-23, 07:03 AM
He could just glue his armpit hairs and pubes to his head, problem solved. :)

Talionis
2018-11-29, 12:15 AM
about the closest thing i might suggest is that you could arguably invent a curse that causes hair to grow on your head. it requires DM's permission, but the bestow curse spell does broadly allow more or less anything you can convince your DM is a curse of roughly equivalent power to the ones in the book, or less.

of course, this has the drawback that now you have cursed hair as opposed to just regular hair. but it should work. probably. maybe.

Curse is more reasonable than youd think. Growing hair for a race that is naturally bald could be a curse a lot like growing horns. So I think that's actually not an unreasonable suggestion.

Warlock 2 can get the at will Disguise Self Invocation which can be recast to keep it up all day.

Find Familar. Familiar is an octopus and is holding the item when you put the Familiar back into its pocket dimension.

Leomonds Magic Chest is a 4th level spell...I'm not a fan...

Did the Hoard Gullet spell get reprinted?

jdolch
2018-11-29, 12:22 AM
Running a male Deep Gnome and they are Bald. What I need is a way to either Grow Hair or a way to attach a wig Permanently. Lets try and keep it down to lvl 6 spells or below so no Wish spells.

Is this possible in 5E?

I'd rule that you need "Wish" for it.

For as much emphasis as you place on a full head of hair, it really should feel like a life goal is reached when you finally get it -> level 17+

Wilko
2018-11-29, 04:24 AM
Not exactly what you asked for but a Belt of Dwarvenkind would let you grow a nice thick beard to hide it in...

Laserlight
2018-11-29, 05:06 AM
With Find Familiar and a stage magician's top hat, you can have a hare on your head.

(edit) Actually... Find Familiar, hand the item to the familiar, dismiss the familiar.

nickl_2000
2018-11-29, 08:10 AM
Not exactly what you asked for but a Belt of Dwarvenkind would let you grow a nice thick beard to hide it in...

This is what I was thinking, but you just do a combover
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/86/74/518674629419217b5a172ea09a9550c1.jpg

nickl_2000
2018-11-29, 08:19 AM
Another possible option:

Continual castings of Minor illusion (or a higher level illusion spell).
Maybe you could get a Druid to awaken a patch of moss and persuade it to stay on your head?

JackPhoenix
2018-11-29, 08:46 AM
Well, either way, I'm pretty sure necromancy isn't a correct solution.

Theodoric
2018-11-29, 08:55 AM
I think there's a Hair Golem in one of Kobold Press' monster books.

Joe the Rat
2018-11-29, 09:03 AM
Well, either way, I'm pretty sure necromancy isn't a correct solution.

Indeed. He's probably had the magic item he wanted to hide taken away by his DM by now.

R.Shackleford
2018-11-29, 10:00 AM
This sounds like a backstory fix.

Sure gnomes are bald, but your character was running through your dad's alchemist lab as a child (or really anyone's lab) and fell into a bunch of chemicals. Since then youe dad has been trying to recreate the effects that allow gnomes to regrow hair.

Alternatively.... You start to worship a deity of beauty and instead of spells or anything like that... You ask for hair, long l, shimmering, and flowing.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-11-29, 10:43 AM
I would love to know exactly how the hell somebody necro'd a two-year-old dead thread for helping a gnome grow some hair. This seems a bizarrely specific thing to dredge up.

ErHo
2018-11-29, 10:44 AM
baldness would have to be a disease or something to cast a restoration spell or some such, but sho is to say baldness in deep gnomes is not by design?

Gryndle
2018-11-29, 10:45 AM
just embrace the bald.
I always had long hair when I was young, until I finally went into an area of work where it was acceptable when I was 26 or 27. Then my hairline started running for the hills. by 35 I was routinely shaving my head. It is liberating. If offered the magical choice of having a full head of hair again, I would laugh, belt out a Hell No! and run.

besides you're playing a hideous blasphemous "gnome" thing anyway.

Wildarm
2018-11-29, 11:15 AM
Have a shaman or witch doctor to make you a special remedy for it. I'm sure they can brew you up something ala The Peanut Butter Solution. I'm sure the concoction contains some pretty nasty/difficult to obtain/whimsical bits. Toenail of a Yeti, A bearded dwarven maidens tears, the cracking voice of a teenage boy, a braided lock of halfing foothair etc...

Mjolnirbear
2018-11-29, 05:55 PM

Alter Self to have a marsupial pouch seems a safer choice...