PDA

View Full Version : Help me dip my wild mage sorcerer

Dalebert
2016-11-21, 11:54 AM
EDIT: Not getting any response but I've decided to stick with bard. I just love Tasha's and Dissonant Whispers for first level spells that continue to be extremely useful into high levels and are twinnable.

I have a yuan-ti wild mage sorcerer with a one-level dip in bard to get light armor and a few extra spells. The inspirations are icing but nice. Stats are 8 14 13 10 13 17. Plan is to take +1 con and +1 cha for first ASI and resilient wisdom for the second one at lvl 9 to milk that sweet, sweet magic resistance. It's AL and he's still tier 1 so I still have time to rebuild.

It occurred to me that I'm now eligible for a cleric or druid dip and I started comparing pros and cons. It's very tempting but there are frustrations. All choices get me Healing Word, which is great & twinnable. Things I'm torn on:

Bard:
Excellent spells for twinning at full DC and attack bonus, e.g. Dissonant Whispers & Tasha's. (LOVE these)
Inspiration
Extra skill (meh)
A battle cantrip I could use since it uses Cha but prolly won't much--Vicious Mockery

Cleric:
AC will be MUCH better--14 now vs 18 with a breastplate and shield.
Versatility of prepared spells plus domain spells though relatively low DC and attack bonus
Handy bonus powers like reaction lightning dmg or reaction disadvantage on attacks a couple times a day, possibly a druid cantrip (Guidance).
Introduces the temptation to dip 2 levels for tempest max dmg to lightning or thunder 1/rest (good & bad).

Druid:
Goodberry, one of my favorite spells
Minimal AC boost due to metal limitation-- AC 16
Temptation to dip 2 levels for wildshape (good & bad). Could be great with subtle spell. Might sometimes be able to get away with turning into a version of snakes that don't have a swim speed which is flavorful for a yuan-ti.