PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Pseudo-teleportation: effects that don't use the transitive planes

Jowgen
2016-11-21, 12:44 PM
All teleportation subschool spells, by definition, use the astral plane as a conduit. Other spells, like Shadow Walk and Ethereal Jaunt use the other transatives instead, but thus only work on the material or astral. It is by blocking access to these other planes that effects like Dimensional Lock prevent teleportation. But, there are some effects that effectively teleport a creature, but do so without accessing other planes. This thread is simply meant to list and maybe discuss them.

Master Earth is the first that comes to mind. Physically but instantaneously moves you through the earth to another point on the same material plane world.

There is a legendary deity-ish monster in one of the faerun books that essentially teleports by transforming and moving at the speed of light. Name/location escapes me though.

So what else is there?

Flickerdart
2016-11-21, 01:00 PM
I think there is a D&D equivalent to Pathfinder's ride the lightning (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/rideTheLightning.html), which transforms you into a lightning bolt, zaps you across the battlefield (ideally through some nasty blokes), and then transforms you back again.

Zaq
2016-11-21, 02:39 PM
I think there is a D&D equivalent to Pathfinder's ride the lightning (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/rideTheLightning.html), which transforms you into a lightning bolt, zaps you across the battlefield (ideally through some nasty blokes), and then transforms you back again.

That reminds me of Firestride Exhalation (from Dragon Magic), but I just checked, and that has the [Teleportation] keyword.

The Urban Soul in Races of Destiny gets an ability called "Citywalk" that isn't technically called out as being a [Teleportation] effect, but it takes some real hairsplitting to make that argument. Basically, it says that it "functions much like Transport Via Plants," but it doesn't say that it "functions as" that spell. Transport Via Plants, of course, has the [Teleportation] keyword. I don't know any GMs who would buy the argument that Citywalk isn't a [Teleportation] ability, but I suppose the argument could nonetheless be made.

Wish, of course, can be used to instantaneously transport people or things to a desired location, and it doesn't have the [Teleportation] keyword. (This isn't a duplication of a spell—this is actually one of the listed functions of Wish.)

I thought of a couple other abilities, but when I checked each of them, they all had the [Teleportation] keyword, which is more pervasive than I expected.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-21, 03:07 PM

You're thinking of Lightning Leap (CMage). 60ft movement as a lightning bolt. Also transmutation, so no teleportation descriptor.

That and Master Earth is pretty much it though, at least as far as spells go.

Inevitability
2016-11-21, 03:18 PM
Teleportation spells may be through the astral unless stated otherwise, but are teleportation maneuvers? I'm referring to Shadow Jaunt and its peers.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-21, 04:21 PM
Teleportation spells may be through the astral unless stated otherwise, but are teleportation maneuvers? I'm referring to Shadow Jaunt and its peers.

I'd say the teleportation descriptor implies that they use the transitive planes as well.
At least they're blocked by the same countermeasures, and i assume the goal here is to get around that kind of thing.

Doctor Awkward
2016-11-21, 04:25 PM
The Wish (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm) spell explicitly has a function that allows the caster to move one creature per caster level from any point on a plane to another point on the same plane. It does not involve planar travel of any kind. An unwilling creature gets a Will save and SR applies.

Telonius
2016-11-21, 04:41 PM
The Blood Magus PrC (from Complete Arcane) has a "Bloodwalk" ability that lets him pseudo-teleport to anywhere on the same plane (as long as there's a living creature nearby). No transitive planes are specified.

Flickerdart
2016-11-21, 04:45 PM
You're thinking of Lightning Leap (CMage). 60ft movement as a lightning bolt. Also transmutation, so no teleportation descriptor.

That's the one! Interestingly, as a personal-range spell you can share it with your familiar, doubling its damage potential. Or you can cast it on just the familiar, placing it in a strategically useful position while everyone else thinks you just cast a regular lightning bolt spell.

TIPOT
2016-11-21, 04:57 PM
Timestop can work like that (sort of). Firestride (?) from the spell compendium might count.

Flickerdart
2016-11-21, 05:00 PM
Timestop can work like that (sort of). Firestride (?) from the spell compendium might count.

Fire stride is a [Teleportation] effect so it doesn't count.

I found another one! Mirror walking from Manual of the Planes has no [Teleportation] descriptor. It accesses the obscure Plane of Mirrors instead of other, more common planes.

LordOfCain
2016-11-21, 06:02 PM
Not exactly spells but maneuvers work.

Inevitability
2016-11-22, 01:40 AM
There's also the Uncarnate Bridge ability gained by the Psion Uncarnate. Enter one mind, exit a mind within line of sight of the first one.

Not exactly spells but maneuvers work.

Already mentioned them.

Zanos
2016-11-22, 02:17 AM
That's the one! Interestingly, as a personal-range spell you can share it with your familiar, doubling its damage potential. Or you can cast it on just the familiar, placing it in a strategically useful position while everyone else thinks you just cast a regular lightning bolt spell.
Isn't there a similar spell that works as per teleport, but takes much longer and causes a lightning storm to start in your destination, and then you appear in a bolt of lightning? I thought it was pretty cool.

Also as far as I know, Shadow Walk doesn't actually require you to be on a plane coterminus with the Plane of Shadow. It just kind of drops you on the border of the material and shadow no matter where you were before.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-22, 04:56 AM
Isn't there a similar spell that works as per teleport, but takes much longer and causes a lightning storm to start in your destination, and then you appear in a bolt of lightning? I thought it was pretty cool.
Stormwalk (SW). The visual is pretty cool, but it's sadly just a finicky Greater Teleport. On the upside it's available to druids.

Also as far as I know, Shadow Walk doesn't actually require you to be on a plane coterminus with the Plane of Shadow. It just kind of drops you on the border of the material and shadow no matter where you were before.

It does. MotP has the rules for what spells require what planes (p.32) and Shadow Walk is explicitly mentioned.

Ruethgar
2016-11-22, 05:25 PM
Now I want to make a storm character sending an army of Elemental Familiars out as lightning bolts as they ride in a storm.

Jormengand
2016-11-22, 06:07 PM
While gate is usually used as a calling effect, it may surprise you that its other effect is a creation effect, not a teleportation one. Two gates therefore allow you to not-teleport to the same plane. An ally can also gate you in as a calling effect. Phase Door is also a creation (and can not-teleport you when dispelled), but references the ethereal. Passwall not-teleports you when it ends. The teleporting mermaid trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19424498&postcount=475) is not intended behaviour, but can also not-teleport you, as can the hammer and piton feat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477681-Optimize-this-Feat-5-Hammer-and-Piton-From-Dungeonscape).

Inevitability
2016-11-23, 01:40 AM
Just figured another one. Kill yourself, then arrange to be True Resurrected somewhere else. The soul moves between bodies with no teleportation involved.

They did it in Tales of Wyre too.