PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars games

Lord Herman
2007-07-14, 09:05 AM
After running Team Ready, Aim, Fire in a Star Wars setting, I've started playing Star Wars games again. I currently play Battlefront 2 and Empire at War. I've already played KotOR and KotOR 2 several times - I love the games, but they're a bit too linear to play again.

I have a sort of love-hate relationship with Star Wars games. Most of them are very atmospheric and manage to capture the Star Wars feeling very well, but I often find the technical aspects lacking (mostly because most of them are designed for consoles).

I'm considering getting the Forces of Corruption expansion to Empire at War. I understand it improves the land combat (which was a weak point of the original game). Has anyone played it? Is it any good?

Toastkart
2007-07-14, 09:45 AM
I've got it, but don't play it that often. It was very buggy to start with, but there's been several patches that fixed all of the issues that I had with it.

I haven't played through the campaign, just galactic conquest maps. I don't think the ai is very balanced. For instance, if I'm playing as the empire, I rarely get attacked. If I play rebels, I'm constantly being attacked so much so that I can't even build enough new units to defend myself. Playing as the Zann consortium seems to be somewhere in between.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it. The addition of the TIE/In and B-wing are great, as well as some of the other new units (TIE Defender, especially). Last time I checked there was also a great mod community to go with the game.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-21, 05:13 PM
I think if the threads gonna be called 'star wars games' we should talk about...star wars games! Im looking forward to SW force unleashed, it looks Effing awesome!

PS: yaay ima necromancer! :smallbiggrin:

Gaelbert
2007-07-21, 07:22 PM
On that subject, does anyone have proof of the Kotor MMORPG?

Logic
2007-07-21, 09:02 PM
On Forces of Corruption.

The Campain mode is bad. Mostly because of the storyline. I also don't like the "We're bad guys, but different!" aspect of the Consortium.

My current roomate is a fan of Galactic Battlegrounds. I have no idea how well that game is.

I used to play the old game, Star Wars: Rebellion. Besides being a micromanagers dream, and land combat was done as a calculation, I liked the game a great deal.

Destro_Yersul
2007-07-21, 11:30 PM
I liked Forces of Corruption. The Zann Consortium is decently balanced until you capture Kamino, and the campaign was good. The last mission takes a very long time to load though.

Chaos Perfected
2007-07-21, 11:36 PM
Get some of the Jedi Knight games. Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is the newest one.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-21, 11:38 PM
Get some of the Jedi Knight games. Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is the newest one.

its still pretty old, lol.:biggrin:

Chaos Perfected
2007-07-22, 03:08 AM
Yes, yes it is. But most of them are. The Jedi Knight series is so close to my heart because I once went on an epic quest spanning years to find Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast for the Gamecube so I could play multiplayer with my buddy. It was great, but by the time I found it, it was really old and still fun, but with most things, the journey was better then then the destination.

Caelestion
2007-07-22, 05:54 AM
In my opinion, MMOs eventually degrade all joy you have for a world. Idiots always come to MMOs (though generally not text-based ones unless they become really popular) and with the idiots come player-killers, non-roleplayers and the guys who only come because it's thought to be cool to do so.

Can you imagine strolling down the streets of Ald'ruhn or Bravil or even in the sands of Tatooine, minding your own business and enjoying yourself, when someone bolts out of nowhere, murders you and shouts "noob!" or other obscenities, simply because he can kill you and is too bored or too idiotic to do anything else?

Jerthanis
2007-07-23, 06:50 PM
I'd have to say overall Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Outcast is still my favorite over-all Star Wars game, followed by Tie Fighter.

I figure if I wanted to play a Star Wars themed strategy game, I'd play Galactic Civilizations 2 and design my spaceships like Star Destroyers.

Actually... hmm... I think I'm going to go play Galactic Civilizations and design my ships like Star Destroyers.

Cpt. Sqweky
2007-07-23, 11:50 PM
On that subject, does anyone have proof of the Kotor MMORPG?

I would like to comment on this, but I agreed not to say anything when I took the survey. So... As you all saw. I very carefully said nothing in this regard.

Exachix
2007-07-24, 01:57 AM
Jedi Academy was an amazing game. As was Jedi Outcast. I just loved them.
Shame x64 hates them *sigh*.

I miss Rogue Squadron 3d (the first one) for the PC. That WAS a very addictive game. and very fun to play...

Sereneprophet
2007-07-24, 12:11 PM
Id say Rogue Squadron series and the KOTOR series are my favorite star wars games.

It will be interesting to see how the new Force Unleashed turns out next year. I am eager, yet nervous.

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-24, 12:30 PM
A Star Wars games thread with no mention of the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games? Heresy!

NerfTW
2007-07-25, 09:42 AM
Lego Star Wars II.

Very fun multiplayer. Don't bother with I, it's way too short and easy. Like, toddler easy. But funny for a run through if you want to get the unlockable characters for the second game. (Xbox 360 has to buy them no matter what) If you want to wait, get the complete saga edition coming out in the fall. They say they're going to upgrade the Prequel levels to be more like the Original Saga levels.

If you haven't played the Jedi Knight games, I'd second that recomendation. If you want force powers from the start, go with Jedi Academy. It's basically a giant map pack for Jedi Knight II with a few plot levels thrown in. (It's a standalone game, you don't need JKII to play it.)

I heard the movie games aren't too shabby. I've been meaning to try them.

On the KOTOR MMORPG rumors, there's one thing to note. If real, Bioware is not making it. They have repeatedly stated that they no longer want to do outside IP's, due to the hassles involved.

If another company is doing it, then WHOO HOO!! But I don't think they'd want to compete with SW Galaxies.

talsine
2007-07-25, 12:39 PM
On the KOTOR MMORPG rumors, there's one thing to note. If real, Bioware is not making it. They have repeatedly stated that they no longer want to do outside IP's, due to the hassles involved.

If another company is doing it, then WHOO HOO!! But I don't think they'd want to compete with SW Galaxies.

Galaxies, even with the recent improvements, is compitition for nothing and no one. More people place UO than play Galaxies, and there's a good reason. Galaxies is a terrible, flawed game. I would welcome a new Star Wars MMO, maybe it will be worth playing

Jerthanis
2007-07-25, 03:12 PM
A Star Wars games thread with no mention of the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games? Heresy!

You of course missed the part where I mentioned Tie Fighter as a second favorite (and a close second it is), that game was amazing, though some levels I felt were unfairly difficult, and I only completed the game because the godmode option was in the options menu.

I never got into X-Wing as much, partly because I didn't play it until long after completing Tie Fighter, and because of the fact that you had to compensate for every change in course. In Tie Fighter, I want to pull up, and I pull up, then release when I'm going in the right direction. In X-wing I had to pull up, then when I'm heading the right way, I have to pitch down again until my vector is straight, and I'd always overcompensate, and spend a couple seconds getting it right. My accuracy was TERRIBLE in X-Wing.

It's a shame X-wing vs. Tie Fighter sucked.

Advance Strat..
2007-07-25, 04:38 PM
I got that collectors edition of xwing, tie figher, and x vs tie. sad thing is though tie fighter doesn't wanna work on my computer for some reason. :smallfrown: