PDA

View Full Version : Help building a Knight of Hell

RipTide
2016-11-21, 01:21 PM
So I'm going to be playing in a new campaign soon. Its a homebrew setting and we are all going Evil. One of the other players is going a WoW inspired death knight, so hes building around ice spells and stuff. I thought it would be fun to go the other way and have a fire based fighter, set up a cool fire and ice teamwork thing.

We are starting at level 3, and rolling for stats so don't worry about that.

The idea I have is, go fighter for the first 2 levels for weapon/armor proficiency and action surge then go Bladelock, fiend patron. I want to go with a Great sword and Great Weapon Master so i was thinking my stat priorities would be something like STR>CON>CHA and just use casting for support and utility.

Now where I have some concerns are first, would Paladin be a better choice for those first 2 levels. both get the proficiency's I want, both get a fighting style, lay on hands and second wind I consider about equal (second wind is probably more healing per day but is self only and can't end poison/disease effects). Divine sense is pretty nothing as far as i'm concerned. But Pally gets some extra spells, spell slots, and Smite, compared to action surge. Also Pally gets WIS saves, where fighter gets CON saves, both are pretty useful and i'm not gonna have an extra ASI to get the one I don't start with (GWF and Warcaster leaves only 2 to boost stats or possibly pick up Elemental Adept: Fire because fire is a pretty common resistance for things to have).

Next should I even be doing a 2 level dip, should I maybe only do 1 level? Are spell slots/action surge worth it to delay getting better Warlock stuff? Or should I put a few more levels in pally/fighter for better stuff from them? I want to be mostly warlock but I'm going to be spending most of my time in melee range I think.

Then which fighting style is better, Defense or Great Weapon fighting? Being that I will have a lower Hit Dice form Warlock and using a 2 handed weapon doesn't let me get a shield, I would think the more AC I can get the better, but Great Weapon fighting seems like it would be really good with a Great sword.

Also what race is best, i like the Scourge (i think?) Aasimar that can basically burst into flames for this build(plus fallen angle knight of hell, bonus points if I name it Lucifer), but Dragonborn works well too. Also i think its Triton that get +1 to STR, CON, and CHA which are all good for me. I kind of want to avoid VHuman if I can, I want to play something not strictly human this time.

Finally should i even be looking at bladelock or is there a much better way to make this build that i didn't think of. I know I want to be fire based and I much prefer the idea of a 2h weapon and heavy armor (so no blade singer).

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

CaptainSarathai
2016-11-21, 03:40 PM
DracSorc6, Pal2, ULBladeLock12
much better 8/4/8 or 12/4/4, using Tome instead of Blade

That's access to Green Flame Blade and +Cha to Fire damage twice. BladeLock grants access to an additional +Cha to weapon damage at 12th (which you'd get at 20th, so not worth it). The fact that you're also a Sorcerer, means Quickening GFB to attack twice per turn. Paladin is just there for Armor and Smites.
Going Tome gets you Shillelagh, making Cha your Attack Stat. Going Dwarf on that chassis would get you Heavy Armor without the massive Str investment.

That's if you want to do a ton of damage. Otherwise, Fighter2/BladeLock18 is just fine and makes a solid gish-y character.