PDA

View Full Version : Summoning a Solar as an evil cleric (3.5)

flappeercraft
2016-11-21, 01:46 PM
How is it possible without taking a PrC or feat? Is there any way?

the_david
2016-11-21, 02:00 PM
You could use an incantation from Unearthed Arcana, but there's that possibility that things go wrong. Alternatively, you could summon a fallen Solar. It's just like a regular Solar, except evil! You'd probably need at least a name to do this. It might still be a impossible though, depending on what would happen to alignment subtypes when you change alignments. I know I've seen discussions about it, but I'm not sure what the outcome was. Something about Succubus Paladins or something. You could still fall back on the incantation to summon a fallen Solar.

Keep in mind that this stuff may depend on your DM to work.

Edit: I totally forgot, a cleric of Pelor, the burning hate, should be able to summon a Solar.

Manyasone
2016-11-21, 02:09 PM
Edit: I totally forgot, a cleric of Pelor, the burning hate, should be able to summon a Solar.

Don't confuse the guy ☺️

Flickerdart
2016-11-21, 02:13 PM
Miracle might work. There is a prohibition on requests out of line with your deity's nature, so hardliner Evil types might refuse, but there are plenty of Evil gods who would delight in allowing you to force an agent of Good to do stuff for (presumably) Evil ends.

flappeercraft
2016-11-21, 02:30 PM
Don't confuse the guy ☺️

Don't worry, completely understand what Burning hate Pelor is but that is not part of the campaign I play in.

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-21, 03:01 PM
If your GM decides that class features count as "effects", then you can use epic bluff DC 70 to fool your class feature. I don't know of any Hellbreds that are for evil characters, otherwise that would work. If you find an artificer, you could get a scroll of Gate (Solar) and then cast Suppress Requirement on it. Otherwise, you'll probably have to have someone else cast it for you (Geas, Dominate, whatever).

SangoProduction
2016-11-21, 05:41 PM
You could UMD on a magic device that summons a Solar. It wouldn't even be that difficult by the level that you are summoning Solars.

Mechalich
2016-11-21, 06:46 PM
Presumably you can use Miracle to grant yourself a single casting of Gate (like via a scroll or other single use magical item). This has a high XP expense since you have to pay for both spells. Then you just need the name of the Solar to call it up.

Of course, doing this will not make the Solar happy, and even controlled its totally going to 'evil genie' it up on you, and its going to demand a service of you that totally runs counter to your alignment anyway, and highjacking such a high-powered entity of an opposed alignment undoubtedly has further consequences, including the wrath of the Solar itself once the spell's duration is up.

flappeercraft
2016-11-21, 06:49 PM
Presumably you can use Miracle to grant yourself a single casting of Gate (like via a scroll or other single use magical item). This has a high XP expense since you have to pay for both spells. Then you just need the name of the Solar to call it up.

Of course, doing this will not make the Solar happy, and even controlled its totally going to 'evil genie' it up on you, and its going to demand a service of you that totally runs counter to your alignment anyway, and highjacking such a high-powered entity of an opposed alignment undoubtedly has further consequences, including the wrath of the Solar itself once the spell's duration is up.

No matter, this is for a 30th level character so the solar won't be able to do jack anyways even if it tried.

EdRed
2016-11-21, 06:51 PM
Wee Jas might be a good choice since she has both Paladins and Blackguards serving her. Probably not a big deal to get a Solar from her with Miracle.

ShurikVch
2016-11-22, 03:48 AM
Corrupt Summoning feat (Dragon #347): Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains the evil subtype, and creatures that are not already evil in alignment become evil.

Crake
2016-11-22, 04:05 AM
Corrupt Summoning feat (Dragon #347): Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains the evil subtype, and creatures that are not already evil in alignment become evil.

That wouldn't work unfortunately, beacuse he's not summoning, he's calling

You could use an incantation from Unearthed Arcana, but there's that possibility that things go wrong. Alternatively, you could summon a fallen Solar. It's just like a regular Solar, except evil! You'd probably need at least a name to do this. It might still be a impossible though, depending on what would happen to alignment subtypes when you change alignments. I know I've seen discussions about it, but I'm not sure what the outcome was. Something about Succubus Paladins or something. You could still fall back on the incantation to summon a fallen Solar.

Keep in mind that this stuff may depend on your DM to work.

This also wouldn't work, because a fallen angle still has the [Good] subtype, and it's the subtype of the summoned creature that determines the spell's descriptor. This has many precedents in modules and other wizards content, for example that succubus paladin still had the [Evil] subtype, and took a negative level while wielding her holy weapon.

Zanos
2016-11-22, 05:19 AM
Duplicating spells above 8th level isn't a listed effect that miracle can perform, so it's up to your deity and your DM. An Evil deity probably isn't going to let you emulate a spell he isn't going to grant normally.

No matter, this is for a 30th level character so the solar won't be able to do jack anyways even if it tried.
Unless you have epic magic or are stacking metamagic effects, I'd still be careful. Outside of epic spell shenanigans, 9ths are the highest it goes, and solars have those.

Bronk
2016-11-22, 06:17 AM
You could call up 'Malkizid, The Branded King'. He's a CR27 fallen solar that retains his cleric casting...