PDA

View Full Version : Bring Him Back Alive! the Oneshot until Richter feels better

Harhoult
2016-11-21, 07:09 PM
The party has settled in for the evening in the commons room of the Lost Shepard, comparing notes and making plans for the next day.

Suddenly, a rumpled figure staggers through the inn's open door. He gets a half step in before his leg crumples beneath him, sending him sprawling on the floor. Taran is closest and rushes over, attempting to turn the man over. She glances up at Judello, panic in her voice.

"Oh Gods, its Marcaeus..."

Those who move in to help will see that the man is alive, but barely so. He has been literally beaten within an inch of his life, and his right leg is twisted at an unnatural angle.

He groans in pain as Taran attempts to move him. His eyes flicker, then open wide. His gaze, clouded with pain, darts to those around him. His breath comes out in ragged gasps, as though he had outrun himself.

"My son," he gasps through battered lips, "They've got my son!"

With that last exertion, he passes out.

The man is battered, stabbed and slashed. While he is injured all over, the worst wounds are on his lower body. His right leg is broken.

A close triage shows that the man has fainted from loss of blood and exhaustion, but is out of danger for now. He is unlikely to wake on his own for many hours. The leg is in bad shape, having been run on while broken, and must be set before magical healing is applied or risk having it heal out of alignment (Heal DC 15).

Marcaues revives almost immediately, and can answer questions.

Marcaeus carries little of note besides a rather large purse containing 50 gold pieces.

The evening is quite and warm, with no signs of anything untoward.

BilltheCynic
2016-11-22, 05:04 PM
Licht was sitting down and sipping some wine, idly passing the time and thankful that the people of the Lost Shepherd at least seemed used to him. He was looking forward to a quiet evening before heading to the Delve the next day. When the door bursts open, Licht's eyes widen in horror and without a moment's hesitation he rushes over to help Taran move him, though his spindly frame limits how much help he can give.

"దయగల డాన్పుష్పం*! Oh this is bad, this is very bad. What do I do what do I do?"

"You can't do much of anything right now. Leave that to the healers in the party. The best way you can do is stay calm and find out who 'Marcaeus' is. Ask the wench. She seems to have an idea.

Licht grimaces. He hates it when the devil gives sound advice. "Um, Taran, if I may ask, who is Marcaeus?"

Mercifcul Dawnflower

Harhoult
2016-11-22, 08:35 PM
Taran gives Licht an appreciative nod as he helps turn the man over. A low groan of pain escapes his lips, but he remains unconscious.

"Marcaeus is a merchant that makes regular trips to Brindenford, usually with his son Lucente..." Her eyes go wide as Marcaeus's words sink in. "Oh no... where is he? What does he mean, they've got his son?!?
By this time Judello is at her side, bearing a wooden box. He quickly begins unpacking bandages and the like; enough for the typical kitchen mishap, though this seems out of his league.

"Exactly what it sounds like." The usual humor is Judello's voice is gone. "He and his son must have been waylaid coming into town. I've warned the fool more than once to stick with a caravan, as dangerous as things are of late. Sometimes I hate being right...Ack, that leg looks bad"

He then proceeds to bind Marcaeus's wounds best he can. "He'll be better with some rest, and someone to set that leg. Wish I could say the same for his son...

DarkOne-Rob
2016-11-22, 11:35 PM
Aaron is about to leave the common room when the injured man bursts through the door. Moments after he has fallen the young knight is kneeling by his side, praying. "Heavenly powers, save this man's life if it be your will..." As he lays his hands on the injured man (careful to avoid the injured leg) a sensation of warmth passes from Aaron into him.

Stepping back, the nobleman calls for blankets, a doctor, and room on a table. Then he gently lifts the man and places him on his back on one of the long dining tables as it is cleared. "Easy there, friend. You don't know me, but I am here to help. Don't move - you may hurt yourself further..."

Cure Light Wounds [roll0]
Heal (untrained) [roll1]
Diplomacy [roll2]

Farmerbink
2016-11-23, 09:11 AM
Hopton slides off his stool, nearly crumpling to the floor himself in shock at its sudden arrival. "Gonna have to be more careful," he comments- mostly to himself. "Few more drinks than I thought, and the floor starts rushin' ya!" He waddles quickly to the collapsed man, and shakes his head in a futile effort to dispel most of the haze.

"Hmmm, don't look good- not at all. Leg's ain't supposed to bend there. Best not heal him until we can put it back in place..." He points to the new joint, just below the knee, where the man's broken bone is most apparent. "Hells, how'd he even get here?" Hopton peeks out the doorway, looking for a horse or something he could have ridden to get here.

He pops back inside, shaking his head in disbelief. "Whoever's got his boy, though, this sounds urgent. Want me to run for Miss Gellow? She'll be able to help set the leg, I figure- probably won't need her in particular, anyhow..." He waits only half a heartbeat before scampering off into the night, running a mad dash for a trained medical caregiver.

Harhoult
2016-11-23, 07:02 PM
Aaron taking charge of the scene spurs the still-shocked Quinn and Archibald to action. They quickly clear a space as Marcaeus is brought up on a table.

"The Heavenly Powers must not be done with this poor man." Archie muses as the healing prayer closes wounds and returns some color to the mans face.

Marcaeus's eyes flash open and he sits up in surprise, wincing in pain from his many remaining wounds. Aaron's words seem to calm him. He takes a deep breath, and takes stock of his situation.

"So I made it!" he says at last with a still shaky voice. "Thank you, a thousand times thank you!"

He suddenly attempts to leap off the table, but is too weak to resist any sturdy hand holding him back.

"My son! He's been taken! We must go at once, or else they might... Please, help me!"

"Calm yourself Marcaeus, you're safe now." Judello says soothingly. "What happened? Who took Lucente?"

Marcaeus hangs his head in his hands. "It was horrible," he begins, his voice a hoarse whisper.

"My son and I were riding along the road, just as we've done dozens of time before. Less than a mile from town, where the old forest comes close to the path, it all fell apart.

"One moment I was riding along, and then all the sudden there are ropes everywhere. My horse threw me, stomped on my leg... that must be when I hurt it..."

"When I looked up I saw Lucente fighting those.. things, laying about with his sword, but there were too many. I pulled myself up to help him... that's when they came after me. Horrid things..."

He shudders at the memory, but continues:

"Short they were, like a halfling, but a dark blue, dressed in rags. They had these huge dark eyes in a hideous bulging face. And the singing... a grisly croaking, some sort of curse of a dirge."

"And they had spears, clubs, jagged knives... I tried to fight back, I did, but they were everywhere. Something struck my head, and I blacked out, I suppose."

"When I woke up it must have been a hour so so later, they were all gone. All of them; my son, the creatures, even the horses. All that was left was blood on the road, and the track they made dragging off the horses."

He suddenly looks about at those listening, as if accused. "I called and called, you hear? I wanted to go after, I did... You have no idea how much it hurt my heart to come here, knowing that my son could be..."

He begins to break down, tears coming to his eyes. "I ran, best as I could, here...for help. Please, I beg you, someone, save my boy, before it's too late! I have coin!"

He pulls a purse out from his coat and hastily dumps it out on the table. Gold coins scatter and roll across the floor; a fair sum indeed.

"There is more... I can send for more, just please help!"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-11-23, 09:48 PM
Aaron's hands are firm but gentle as they keep the panicked man on the table. "Be still! You are going to hurt yourself further, and that won't help your son!" he chides, insistently. "I don't need your gold to be willing to help - a little boy is in danger. Which way does someone need to go to find the spot where you were ambushed?"

Harhoult
2016-11-25, 09:25 PM
Marcaeus looks up at Aaron through bloodshot eyes, the beginnings of hope showing in his face.

"Thank you! Oh thank you so much!" He glances about at the others in the party and nods knowingly. "I see. You all came for the Delve! If anyone can get to my son in time, it's your sort. As for where to look first, head out of town straight from the inn. You should see some sign of the ambush on the road where the forest gets close. I will pray that you can pick up their trail."

Judello nods, though his own expression of worry deepens.. "I know something of the area. Though an ambush there would mean...
He shakes his head. "Anyway, you should just relax best you can. Taran! Get Marcaeus something to drink. Put it on his tab."

Judello pulls Aaron aside as Taran tends to the merchant. "So, that was unexpected. The sheriff will put together a search party in the morning, of course, but we can't be expecting much. Didn't want to say anything in front'a Marcaeus, but his son is probably dead already. Still," he pauses, looking about at the adventures with a look that could almost be approving, "I won't say anything bad about you for trying."

"I do know something of that area, though that will only add to your questions. That they were ambushed is, sadly, not to unusual in these times; what is odd is where. That stretch of road has always been quiet. Well, for most folks anyways... The last time the loggers tried to work that bit of forest, they had no end of trouble; broken tools, dulled axes, missing limbs, that sort of thing. Something lives in there, make no mistake, but I've never heard of them bothering folk that didn't bother them first."

"Your memory does not go back far enough then, Judello." Felstor, whom had been silently reading through all of the commotion (with the occasional peek over the top of his book) speaks up suddenly. "Something like this did happen, once."

Judello turns on the smug elf with a scowl, but before he can speak there is a rush of feet as a priestess of Sarenrae with a puffing Hopton in tow burst in. She wastes little time and begins working on Marcaeus.

Farmerbink
2016-11-26, 02:01 PM
Hopton follows the priestess into the room, looking on pleased with himself as she rapidly sets to work on the injured man. "So, what'd I miss?" he requests of the gathered party. Nodding slowly, with something of a scowl, he frowns as the scene is described.

Turning to Felstor, he beckons towards the Elf. "Well, if you wanna spill the beans, we'll get a move on- else it's time to go, gents!"

Harhoult
2016-11-26, 09:05 PM
Felstor sighs irritably at Hopton as turn back to his book. "I do not spill anything. And if you want to know more about what you impetuous lot are getting into, well... (with a side glance at Quinn) you know my price."
Felstor is unwilling to part with information he considers valuable for free. He will tell you what he knows for 100gp, or the old tomes Quinn showed him earlier. One can attempt getting info from him for free with a successful Diplomacy (DC:20) or Intimidate check (DC:12). Keep in mind that Intimidate may have later repercussions, naturally.

"As you are undoubtedly pressed for time, I will be brief. There is indeed something living in that patch of woods: a tribe of small, blue goblin-like creatures. I say "goblin-like" as I am not entirely convinced that is what they are, even though the few credible sightings describe them as "goblins". While Judello is correct on most of his details, what he doesn't know is that a kidnapping very similar to this occurred some sixty years ago; the only real difference being that the victim was an adult halfling. Whether or not the boy in question will ever be seen again will be up to you. The halfing wasn't, at any rate.
There are none to my knowledge who have found their lair, though I do have a reasoned guess as to it's location. There is a ruined tower, little more than standing walls, in that area. It dates back to when the Duchy was at it's peak, and is equally ruined. I imagine the trail will lead right to it, though finding the entrance to their lair is up to you.
What else I know is from scattered reports covering many decades: these creatures work to drive out intruders, including ones the village would object to as well. The rumors from those who do wander into their territory speak of cunning poisoned traps, and an unusual number of large vermin... spiders and their ilk.
They are also rumored to pilfer foodstuffs from the village; they seem to have a weakness for human food (I cannot imagine why) and will snatch the occasional pie or other treat when feeling bold. Though the same could be said of the many human brats about.
And that is all I will say for now, though there is many days of stories I could tell. Now be off with you, for good or ill."

The priestess, seeing that Marcaeus is both conscious and (partially) magically healed, relaxes a bit. She calls Judello over, and they begin discussing what to do with him. Apparently, she does have the skill to set the leg and the ability to mend it with a prayer; however, the setting part will be somewhat lengthy and painful due to the shattered nature of Marcaeus' leg. She does express gratitude at the actions of the first responders for both healing the man and not healing his leg; breaking it to reset it would be very painful.

Archibald takes in the situation, a somewhat incredulous look on his face. When it becomes apparent that Aaron and Hopton at least wish to rush out to the rescue, he gives out as exasperated sigh.

"So, just to be clear: we are going to track down an unknown number of violent pygmies to their lair, enter said lair while they are most likely on guard, at night no less, to retrieve someone who's most likely already dea.." Archie trails off and glances over to Marcaeus. Thankfully, the man is too busy getting the bone fragments of his leg rearranged to notice Archie's insensitivity. He sighs again, takes a last pull from his drink, and shoulders his pack. "Oh, of course we are. Just making sure we're clear on this. Lead on, then! Oh, and Judello... I do plan on using that room I paid for, so keep the light on, will you?"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-11-27, 08:39 PM
Aaron looks at Felstor with surprise. "We aren't talking about going to the delve for fame and fortune - we are talking about helping a youngster in the hands of violent abductors. Have a heart and help us rescue this man's son!" he passionately exclaims.

Diplomacy [roll0]
When the elf doesn't respond Aaron shakes his head in frustration and surprise before leading those willing to help in the direction indicated by the locals.

BilltheCynic
2016-11-28, 12:25 AM
Licht listens to Marcaeus describe the attackers, brow furrowing in concentration. "I...believe I recognize your attackers, or at least its species. I had a friend, Percidal, whom I traveled with that looked as you described, though his skin was brown rather than blue. He, well, looked like a large bipedal frog. He was a keen and stealthy hunter and road a large giant lizard. Also, he fought mainly with a lance and a net, though I don't know how popular those are with others of his kind. I also remember him saying he's a skilled climber, and his people liked to live in treetop houses, so, yeah, we might have to deal with that. He's gone now and I don't think he's related to these, I think he called himself a Grippli?, but it seems they are rather nasty hunters too.

At the mention of a similar attack in the past Licht perks up and turns to Felstor, then sighs in exasperation at the elf's obstinance. "Felstor, I can understand you being stingy with lore of the Delve and magical knowledge, those are your areas of expertise after all, but about general history of the area, especially when a local's life is at stake? Surely this small bit of knowledge is worth the goodwill of the people here, people you live among and can in turn help you in the future."

When Felstor still refuses to help, Mudoru says, "Ignore the elf. His price is too high for what he offers, as usual. Focus on your task; if you succeed, you will gain some of that goodwill yourself, becoming a bit more than the standard lot that comes for the Delve that the townsfolk expect. They might even feel some debt of gratitude."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Farmerbink
2016-11-28, 10:14 AM
Archibald's hesitance earns a stern look from Hopton, all the more ridiculous for the fact that its coming from roughly the taller man's waist. "Come now, we're not exactly here on a summer holiday- might as well earn some goodwill with the locals, when the opportunity arises! Of course we're gonna try and help!"

Without waiting for Felstor to complete his informative discourse, Hopton begins scooping his belongings into his rough canvas sack. At the mention of pilfering sweets, he looks up from his work, and gets Judello's attention. "Oy, got a pie or two we could bring? Might be we could buy a bit of goodwill on the other end, too! 'Course I'll pay for it, come on, then!"

Harhoult
2016-11-28, 04:23 PM
Quinn leans in and speaks quietly to Felstor. Whatever was said, it seems to have an effect on Felstor; he glances about at the party without meeting anyone's eye.

"Fine then. If it will appease you mon'keigh, I will tell you what I know if only to reclaim some quiet."

--------------

Judello looks surprised at Hopton's request. A slow dawning realisation brings a grin to his face. " It's late, but I will see what our cook's got hidden away. Worth the chance, I suppose."
He returns shortly with a cloth - wrapped parcel, which he opens to reveal two pies: apple and a meat pie. "Best meat-pies in Bridenford! Hope it helps. Cook's a little sore about losing his midnight snack, but them 's the breaks. Just be sure to tell him how it went later, you hear?

Harhoult
2016-11-28, 08:44 PM
In the spirit of keeping things moving, I present Scene II: The Ambush. Feel free to post as if the party hasn't left the inn yet, if there are things you want to tie up (other than Felstor, though trussing him in the corner may be therapeutic).

The evening is warm and clear, with only a few clouds casting shadows from the waxing moon. A lovely night, if not for the dire quest the party finds itself on.

The party heads west out of town under Marcaeus' directions. About a half mile out, the forest begins to encroach on the road. Dark rustles can be heard as you approach, though whatever it is stays out of sight.

Though unnerving, careful observation reveals the noises to be mundane woodland creatures: a raccoon and a pair of deer.

Eventually you come to an immense oak overshadowing the road. The overturned cart and many dark bloodstains reveal this to be the ambush site.

Presumably, the cart had once carried trade goods. These have been carried off with exception of a small barrel of nails. This appears to have been opened and tossed aside. There is about 5lbs of nails scattered about, but they are easy to avoid stepping on.

Searching the area reveals the signs of a struggle: scuffed ground and dark blood everywhere.
There are bits of rope caught in the brush north of the road. This rope is odd: thin, stretchy, and light-colored.
Also, the horse's tack has been cut off with some crude instrument, and lies scattered on the road and trail.
These are fragments of rare spidersilk rope.
A glint of metal catches your eye: a shortsword is lying a short distance away, as if tossed aside. It is well-made (re:masterwork) and there is dark blood on it's edge.

A trail that looks like it was used to drag two horses through the woods leads off the road to the north. A blind man could find it.

Reading the tracks confirms Marcaeus' story. He was indeed beset by about a dozen short, barefooted, three-toed creatures. Not all of the blood is human, showing that Lucente fought back before being overcome. There is no sign if he was slain however.

BilltheCynic
2016-11-28, 09:33 PM
Licht winces at the sight of the blood around the site. He hopes these grippli, if grippli they are, are not as cunning and skilled as Percidal was. If so, this mission might be hopeless. He tentatively pulls outs his holy symbol of Sarenrae. "Um, I think I should prepare for trouble now. Give me a minute please."

Licht moves to an area near the group but out of the way of any searching they need to do, drops to his knees, and says his customary prayer:

డాన్ యొక్క ఎప్పుడూ ప్రకాశవంతమైన దేవత నేను మీరు మీ దయ మరియు సదుపాయం కోసం నా మీద ఈ రోజు మీరు ప్రతి రోజు అందిస్తాయి ధన్యవాదాలు నేను మీ దయ మరియు అవగాహన నిత్య కృతజ్ఞత వద్ద కూడా నేను నాశనం తీసుకుని మరియు నా రక్తంలో డెవిల్స్ పాల్పడకుండా మీ సహాయంతో నీతి మార్గం నడవడానికి ఉండవచ్చు జన్మించాడు నేను చెడు అవినీతికి మీరు స్టీల్ నా మనస్సు గుండె మరియు ఆత్మ అడగండి మరియు మీ జ్ఞానం నా మార్గం మార్గనిర్దేశం చేసే నేను చీకటి వ్యతిరేకంగా ఒక కవచం లోకి కాంతి వ్యతిరేకంగా ఒక ఆయుధం పరిగణించబడుతున్న చెయ్యడానికి మీ దయ మరియు న్యాయం యొక్క సాధనంగా ఉండవచ్చు ఇప్పుడు నా ప్రాణము రంధ్రాలు మరియు బానిస స్పాన్ నేను మీ బలం నాకు హెల్ యొక్క శక్తి హెవెన్ కారణం సేవించునట్లు పిలువుEver-bright goddess of the dawn, I thank you for your grace and provision upon me this day, as you provide every day. I am eternally grateful to your mercy and understanding, that even I, born to bring destruction and with the taint of devils in my blood, may walk the path of righteousness with your aid. I ask that you steel my mind, heart, and soul from the corruption of evil, and that your wisdom will guide my path. May I be an instrument of your compassion and justice, turning what was to be a weapon against the light into a shield against the darkness. Now spawn of the pits and slave to my soul, I summon your strength to me, that the power of Hell may serve the cause of Heaven.

As the finish, he calls upon Mudoru's power and his body transforms into his imposing devilish form. Though he knows he will not likely be of much help, he joins the others in searching the area.

Perception (Surroundings): [roll0]
Perception (Search): [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]

Farmerbink
2016-11-29, 07:00 PM
"Just be sure to tell him how it went later, you hear?

Hopton gasps, one small hand pressed against his chest. "You wound me! You think I would share a good story, about food!?" His mouth splits into a wide grin, followed shortly by a bark of a laugh, before leading the party into the darkness.

At the first sound of rustling, Hopton suddenly stops. He holds a fist to signal that his companions do the same, and drops the point of his rapier towards the branches overreaching the road. As quiet as a mouse, he prowls forwards, eyes scanning the underbrush. He follows the sounds, and carefully pushes aside a sprig of tall grass. A short snort of a laugh escapes his nose. "Oh, we're fine. Just a raccoon out looking for dinner. Here you go, little guy!" Hopton fishes out the meat pie, and tosses a small bite of gravy-soaked lamb shank into the grass, not far from the critter. Relieved, he turns back to the road.

At the ambush site, Hopton's lighthearted mood suddenly turns serious. He pokes and pries about, trying- it appears- to see the whole site all at once. "Odd. Some funny rope out here," he mentions, holding up a thin cord of light-colored elastic material. "Nifty stuff... wonder if it comes a little longer?" He makes no effort to hide his disappointment that the longest strip is only a few feet.

"Hmmm... won't be tacking up with this anytime soon, neither. It's been all cut to pieces!" He collects several pieces of what once was a saddle and bridle, and lays them about in the dirt to see if any noteworthy pieces are missing.

"Uh oh. Well... uhhh, guys?" Hopton speaks up once more, holding a large (to him) blade. "I think our boy's in trouble- and also unarmed." He offers the masterwork, blood-stained shortsword to one of the tall folk- they'd be able to use it proper, at least.

Harhoult
2016-11-29, 09:10 PM
Archibald looks over the wreckage of the cart critically. "I imagine he had been carrying a full load to trade. Odd that whomever did this would strip the cart bare, but leave his gold untouched. And.. nails? They don't like nails, I suppose? Interesting though this is, I needn't remind you that the boy's chances lessen by the minute."

Quinn finds a bit of the odd rope as well. He squints at it a bit in the dim light of his spell, then his eyes suddenly widen. "Well I'll be... this is spidersilk rope! Expensive stuff, considering what one has to do to make it." His brow furrows as he puts the clues together. "Felstor did mention poison, and vermin... with this, it seems likely that there are giant spiders about as well."

All the bits of the riding tack seem to be present. It looks as though it was hurried cut off of the horses, rather than dealing with the simple metal hooks and buckles.

A closer look at the shortsword reveals a few curious things: not only is it finely made, it seems both balanced and sized for a young human (or an opportunistic Halfling).

Tomorrow: Into the Woods!

BilltheCynic
2016-11-30, 03:23 AM
Licht thoughtfully raises a claw to his chin. They, um, seem to have been pretty selective about what they took. I guess I can understand leaving nails if they don't use them for building things, but why would raiders leave a perfectly good sword. Also, um, one thing has been bugging me a bit since Marcaeus came back. Why did they take his son but not him? I mean, he did just black out, it should have been easy for them, and they did go through the trouble of taking his son. Why one but not the other?"

Harhoult
2016-11-30, 08:34 PM
When the party decides to venture forth, there is only one clear path: into the forest, following the trail made by dragging two horses through dense underbrush.

The trail is thankfully clear and easy to follow, as the night grows very dark in the shadow of the forest. Strands of the spidersilk rope are caught on snags here and there as you go. Noises from the party sound alarmingly loud against the growing quiet; the usual night-sounds of the forest fade into an unnerving silence.

After about a half mile, the party comes suddenly upon a clearing made by the ruins of some stone building. All that remains is a block floor broken up by roots and tussocks of grass in the cracks. A thick carpet of moss and lichen dampen your footfalls. Only the four corners remain of the walls: old overgrown stones that look ready to topple in the slightest breeze. The north-eastern wall seems to have done so; there is nary a stone left of it.

Without the thick brush, the obvious trail disappears on the moss, with no indication of it picking up again outside the ruins.

I will begin mapping your progress, though my map is the simplest of simple. Please move your tokens where you wish. Also, while I think I linked the map properly, let me know if you cannot edit it. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1csDnTJC9PxeRCXwhdQMCb5d7HH4H7CKo1imJDTi4w3M/edit#gid=0)

The number of creatures and size of their burdens leave a trail on the soft moss, leading to a cleverly camouflaged wooden trapdoor in the northeast quadrant of the ruin.

This wall has crumbled to about three feet high, leaving a pile of rubble at it's base. There is a conspicuous hole in the pile of stones, a little over a foot across, leading down. One would have to bring a light close to see into it. Doing so reveals a rather deep den of some sort, stinking of offal. There is a very freshly chewed leg of horse near the entrance.

This wall is taller than the others at about eight feet. Rubble has been piled about it to form a column of sorts in a manner that looks deliberate.
Closer inspection reveals that the column is a chimney. Smoke and the smell of cooking flesh is rising from a foot across hole. It goes underground a great distance, though how far is hard to tell.

This wall is dominated by a scraggly tree who is quite determined to grow on the bare rock; it has heard of this "soil" business, and wants no truck with it.
The ground around the base of the wall is laced with gossamer thin spiderweb, leading to a hidden trapdoor coated in moss, about a foot across and round.
You recognize the structure as the home of a trapdoor spider, an ambush predator par excellence. They are not typically this big...
A flap of ground pops open as you enter the strike zone of a trapdoor spider. It gives you no time to react as it strikes... (Combat ensues. Surprise round goes to the spider.)

The ruined floor is a mess of broken cobbles and tree roots, with little of obvious interest.
There is a large, cunningly hidden trapdoor in the north-eastern quadrant made of moss-covered wood. It is about five feet wide and seven long. A closer look reveals stone stairs under it headed down into the gloom. Lifting it will be a chore; only one with at least 16 Str can lift it unaided.

Harhoult
2016-11-30, 09:42 PM
Licht thoughtfully raises a claw to his chin. [B...Why one but not the other?"[/B]

Archibald shrugs, as perplexed by the clues as anyone. "Well, if it wasn't a robbery, then perhaps a kidnapping? If the boy was thier objective, and the goods taken as time or whim allowed, that may explain some of this. Not all though; leaving blatant valuables like the gold or that sword, or taking the time to drag away two horses doesn't fit that idea. I suppose catching up will be the only way to know for sure."

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-01, 11:04 PM
Aaron leads the party as they approach the ruins, looking about with concern. "Do you think this is the tower the elf mentioned?" he asks as he looks inside the walls. Turning left he looks up at the tree, growing in its unlikely place. "What do you make of this?" he calls back, pointing at the tree and walking towards it.

Perception [roll0]
Once he finds the trapdoor and kicks at it with his foot the spider bursts out, attacking the surprised nobleman as Aaron cries out!

BilltheCynic
2016-12-02, 04:23 AM
Licht's eyes widen as the spider bursts out. With no time to raise his magical defenses, he growls and leaps at the spider, aiming a savage bite at it.

Initiative: [roll0]

Charging the spider and biting it:
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit confirm: [roll3]
Crit damage: [roll4]

Harhoult
2016-12-02, 09:58 AM
A giant trapdoor spider, roughly the size of a Halfling (if halflings were eight-legged and fanged) bursts from it's hiding spot and fearlessly attacks the startled Aaron. He is caught flat-footed and the spider easily bites his leg, a foul venom dripping from it's fangs. Fortunately for Aaron his armor proves too thick, and the spider is foiled.

Hopton
Licht
Archibald
Aaron
Trapdoor Spider
Quinn

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-02, 03:04 PM
Aaron Tanessen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=891528)
Male Human Oracle, Level 1, Init 1, HP 11/11, Speed 20 ft. (30 ft. base)
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 1, Will 1, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
MW Longsword +5 (1d8+4, 19-20/x2)
Light Shield Spike +4 (1d4+4, 20/x2)
Masterwork Chain Shirt, MW Spiked Light Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition Tongues Curse (Infernal)
With a start Aaron leaps back, drawing his sword and slashing down at the spider in one smoothly practiced motion.

"Agh! That spider is the size of Hopton!"
Draw longsword, attack spider
MW Longsword [roll0] attack, [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

Farmerbink
2016-12-02, 07:10 PM
Hopton dashes forward, recovering quickly from the shock of the spider's appearance. "Holy crap! That spider's as big as I am! Watch out, Aaron!" His blade already in hand, Hopton drives the tip towards the spider's hairy torso.

Hopton Longbottom (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=892417)
M CG Halfling Swashbuckler (mouser), Level 1, Init 4, HP 12/12, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, CMD 13, Fort 2, Ref 7, Will 1, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 1
rapier +7 (1d6-1, 18-20, x2)
dagger +6/+6 (1d3-1, 19-20, x2)
alchemical +6 (-, -)
studded leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition None

5-foot step NW on the map
MAKE SHANK
[roll0] attack
[roll1] dmg

[roll2] CC (25+)
[roll3] bonus crit damage

Harhoult
2016-12-02, 09:56 PM
The spider's sudden appearance has caught some of the party off guard, and their attacks either glance off it's carapace of miss altogether. Licht's savage charge turns the tables on the foe; his fangs find purchase and leave a grievous wound. The spider nips back, but it's fangs click together on empty air.

Quinn has drawn his bow, but instead of drawing a bead on the spider, his gaze is on the ruins. "Shhh!" he hisses, his intent clear: where there is one, there may be others...

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-02, 11:39 PM
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 1, Will 1, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Masterwork Chain Shirt, MW Spiked Light Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
Aaron shimmies to the side, attacking the spider from what he hopes will be a flanking position.

5-ft step, Attack spider
MW Longsword [roll0] attack, [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

The attack rolls do not include flanking bonuses - please apply them if it is possible to get there without incurring AoOs.
As watches Licht destroy the spider Aaron huffs in annoyance and says,

"What? Oh damn it all - with Asmodia gone none of you can understand me!"

BilltheCynic
2016-12-03, 12:06 PM
Licht growls in infernal, "म सक्छु"*"

He swings two massive claws at the spider then leans forward for another bite.

I can.
Full attack on the spider.

Bite
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Claw 1
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Crit Confirm: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

Claw 2
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Crit Confirm: [roll10]
Crit Damage: [roll11]

Harhoult
2016-12-03, 06:30 PM
With a wet crunch and a soggy plop, Licht's claw finds purchase and tears through the spider's abdomen. A few weak twitches and it lays silent.
There is little time to celebrate though; the twang of a loosed arrow and Quinn's shout of warning draws attention to the new threat clicking and slithering across the broken stone.
A monstrosity of black carapace and far too many legs rears up at the edge of the light. It draws itself up to nearly Licht's height, bright red mandibles grinding and dripping ichor...

BilltheCynic
2016-12-03, 07:33 PM
Licht is still breathing heavily from the brief but brutal fight, spider blood still dripping from his claws and mouth. At Quinn's shout he spins around to see another monstrous vermin rapidly approaching the archaeologist. Licht groans, then begins muttering arcane words of power and weaving the symbols in the air. The air seems to thicken around him as magical force encases his body. As he casts the spell he moves between Quinn and the creature, hoping it would be forced to go through him first.

Casting Mage Armor*, then moving to AA17.

*AC now 20 (10 base + 4 mage armor + 1 dex + 5 natural).

1st level spells left: 2/3

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-04, 11:39 AM
Aaron turns to face the new enemy, spitting in Infernal,

"Oh! Well that makes a certain degree of sense..."
He then readies himself to strike at the centipede as it approaches.
Move towards the centipede and ready an action to attack it once it is in range, using the dice rolls in my previous post:

MW Longsword (1d20+5)[17] attack, (1d20+5)[18] (19-20/x2), (1d8+4)[12] slashing damage, (1d8+4)[6] critical strike damage

Harhoult
2016-12-04, 07:26 PM
Round 3

Archibald moves up behind Aaron and intones a simple protective ward.

Cast Resistance: +1 to all saves for 1 minute. Cantrip

An arrow whistles past and digs into the centipede's flesh. It hisses in pain, but is not deterred: it skitters on far too many legs across the broken ground. It lashes out at the nearest invader. Aaron's sword is ready to meet it, slashing across it's clicking face. Mandibles snap in return, but miss flesh.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-04, 09:04 PM
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 2, Will 2, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Resistance
Aaron takes another swing at the centipede, stepping around it to try and get into a flanking position with the rest of his allies.

"I continue to find your fiendish form unsettling, but it certainly has its uses. Come and help me dispose of this vermin!"
5- ft step to try and get around the enemy.

BilltheCynic
2016-12-05, 02:41 AM
Licht twists his body to avoid the mandibles, batting them away with this his claws as he does. He spares a glance as Aaron and says, "उम, धन्यवाद? ओह सही, पाठ्यक्रम.* డాన్ వచ్చిన!**"

With that Licht darts forward, grabbing at the vermin with claws and maw and tearing away with both.

Um, thanks? Oh right, of course.
Dawn has come!
Full-attacking the centipede.

Bite
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Claw 1
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Crit Confirm: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

Claw 1
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Crit Confirm: [roll10]
Crit Damage: [roll11]

Harhoult
2016-12-05, 12:25 PM
Sword and fang clash against carapace. The centipede hisses in pain as Aaron and Licht cleave it's flesh. With a shudder, the massive creature rears up as to give a final strike... But collapses into a heap of rent shell, seeping fluids, and twitching legs.

Well fought! I will edit the NE corner description to reflect that it's centipede is dead.

Quinn holds up a hand to silence any cheers of victory. He holds for a long moment, listening intently. "Something's out there..." he begins, but then the rest of the party can hear it: a quiet drumming from the shadows beyond the far edge of the ruins. A strangely pitched, scratchy voice starts to make noises like singing. Two other voices join to croak out a melancholy song:

Oh, it's baaad luck to be you
Chosen few of many isn't new
Once you think you're full of luck
In the bollucks you'll be struck
It's baaad luck to be you.

Our precious bugs are scattered far and wide
If we called them, you'd have no place to hide
They'll chew on your face
Sting you every place
So scurry off before you make us mad

Oh, it's baaad luck to be you.
Really bad luck to be you.

The song, while carrying a threat, is sung rather emotionlessly. The drums fade away, and the night is silent again.

Shameless Bard's Tale insert. Also, for those who have heard goblins singing lately ( looking at you Licht), this tune is less whimsical and malicious, as you'd expect from goblins, and more deadpan and gravely.

Farmerbink
2016-12-05, 05:53 PM
Hopton's eyes widen dramatically at Licht's first real display of martial prowess. "Sheesh mister, guess it's not all for show, huh?" Still, the expression isn't mocking, just appreciative.

He falls into an unusual silence to listen to the ominous tune. As the words fade beyond his ability to hear, he breaks the silence. "Well that was suitably creepy... If they didn't have the boy, I think I'd probably take their warning at face value. As it is, I'd be loathe to leave him to whatever fate they have in mind...."

Harhoult
2016-12-05, 09:04 PM
Archibald hardly lifts a finger during the fight, more interested in Licht's abilities than furtively shooting bolts at vermin.

"Indeed. It certainly seems your utility was not understated. You and Aaron make quite the showing!"

He looks like he's about to say more, but the eerie chanting silences him for a moment. He shudders a bit as it dies away, and looks about nervously as if expecting a swarm of spiders to descend from the trees.

"Let us hurry then! There is no telling how long it will take for their... ah... reinforcements to arrive, and it would just be too bad to be caught on the way out! We need to find their den, and quickly! I will risk a little more light. It's not like we will catch them unawares anymore."

Archibald retrieves a torch and lights it with a word and a gesture. Bearing it aloft, he begins to search the floor of the ruined tower for any sign of the creature's den.

Archibald Perception (Ruined Floor): [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-05, 11:12 PM
Aaron carefully wipes his blade before sheathing it and listening to the hostile chanting. When it is over he shrugs and turns to the ruined tower foundation. "I have found that when you are threatened by fie...er...the enemy that you are going in the right direction. Let's look around," he says, taking his own advice and inspecting the stonework with his untrained eye.

Taking 20 on Perception for a 23 throughout the area on the map.

BilltheCynic
2016-12-06, 12:45 AM
Licht scrunches his face at the foul taste of the centipede, an expression which is both menacing and comical on his fiendish features. He spits some of the centipede blood out and wipes his claws on his side to clean the spider ichor. He smiles sheepishly at the others.

"Oh, um, thanks. Yeah, it uh, it's pretty good in a fight. Though I'm afraid my utility is mostly limited to "hitting things," and "taking hits." Oh, and seeing in the darkness."

Licht stops and listens to the croaking chant drifting from the shadows. He shivers. I, uh, I would take their warning at face value even if they didn't have him. But we can't let that stop us now."

While Aaron busies himself inspecting the stonework, decides to examines the South-East wall. He sets his claws to deliberately climb the column to examine it more closely. As he reaches the top he notices smoke coming out of it. He calls out to the others, Um, guys, I think this is their chimney. I smell smoke and cooking flesh from it. I don't, uh, don't quite know how far down it goes, though."

Licht descends from the chimney and starts to make his way back to the group when he notices a trail in the soft moss. He follows the trail to the Northeast Quadrant and notices the cleverly camouflaged trapdoor. Licht carefully walks back to the rest of the group. "I, um, think I just found a trapdoor to their den over there."

Perception (tracking): [roll0]
Perception (floor): [roll1]
Taking 10 to climb the chimney: [roll2]

Farmerbink
2016-12-06, 12:40 PM
Hopton mostly watches at Licht demonstrates his abilities. At the mention of a trapdoor, he begins fishing a torch from his pack and clears his throat.

"I don't mean to pry, but how long exactly can you control that? I've got pretty good eyes, most the time, and I know how to not be noticed, but I still can't see in the dark. Mayhaps you can lead in, if you're not opposed to the idea? Hard to avoid attention carrying a beacon..." He lifts the discovered torch in demonstration before setting to it with a dagger and a small piece of flint. Before long the aforementioned beacon clearly demonstrates the small man's location in the cloudy night.

Harhoult
2016-12-06, 01:41 PM
"It could serve our purpose to have Licht in the forefront for other reasons as well." Archibald adds joining the group by the trapdoor. "He does have a rather... startling visage at the moment. With a bit of luck, that could play to our advantage. Then again, it is not like we know what it is we are up against, or if they can be intimidated."

He sighs heavily. "And, if we are not careful, getting out will be the difficult part. Aroden's ashes, what a mess. Well, shall we then?"

He stoops and grasps the edge of the door. "Hrm. Heavier than it looks. That doesn't bode well."

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-06, 11:20 PM
Aaron walks to where the trapdoor is and squats down to lift up the edge. "Is it that bad? Here, let me help you," he says, reaching down to lift.

Do we need a Strength check to open it? Aaron has +4 and will take 20 if necessary...

BilltheCynic
2016-12-07, 02:32 AM
"Oh, I can keep this form up as long as I'm conscious. But I don't actually need to be in this form to see in the dark; that's just a product of my, ah, well, race. Anyway, I don't mind taking the front, since I can also take quite a beat, not that I like it at all, but I will warn that I am not exactly, well, very sneaky. At all."

Licht joins Aaron by the trapdoor and bends over to help. "Maybe we can do it if we all try to lift at once?"

Since we're pressed for time, I suggest Aaron try to take 10 on the check and the rest of us Aid Another on him, since he has the highest strength. If it's too low we've only wasted six seconds, whereas if we take 20 when we don't need to we will waste about two minutes.

Some things to remember for the check:

Quinn can use Archeologist Luck to gain a +2 luck bonus to his Aid Another roll
Quinn can lend Aaron his crowbar for an addition +2 circumstance bonus to the strength check
Aaron can cast Guidance to gain an addition +1 competence bonus to the check

Aid Another (Strength) 1: [roll0]
Aid Another (Strength) 2 (if tried again): [roll1]

Harhoult
2016-12-07, 10:25 AM
The module only specifies a Strength 16 to open the door without trouble, so assume the DC is 13, and you can take 10. I will update the map as soon as I can.

The door, heavy with sod and wet wood, lifts easily enough; it doesn't seem to be hinged, so one could throw it aside if they so choose.

A narrow stair depends into darkness. Both the steps, walls, and ceiling are weathered stone, made uneven by time and slippery with damp.

The stairs go down some ten feet before opening into a cellar. The space is fifteen feet across and twenty long. The far end has collapsed or been demolished, revealing a round earthen tunnel defending further into the earth. It would be comfortably large for a Small fellow, but at five feet across, rather short for the taller folks.

The room itself is horrendously cluttered, save for a dirty path pushed through from one end to the other. The rest of the space is taken up by piles of random goods: old crates and barrels, crude baskets of dried things, piles of flinty stones, a few stone-tipped spears, and lots of the spider silk rope. The whole mess is draped in spiderweb. Dark, fist-sized, many-legged things scurry into hiding under the sudden torchlight. A closer look would be needed to find anything of value.

The path through the room is marked with blood, as if two bleeding horses have been dragged through.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-07, 08:09 PM
Aaron lifts the trapdoor and moves it away from the opening so it doesn't fall on anyone, and then follows Licht down into the darkness.

Harhoult
2016-12-07, 08:42 PM
The tunnel is dank with an odd odor. Roots poke through at points; these are usually choked with insects. The tunnel slopes down gradually, at one point turning to avoid a great rock.

At the second turn, there is a bit of a level landing made from the roots of some great tree; they coil from ceiling to floor, and are laced with webs. In front the tunnel continues to slope down, but there is the flicker of flame. Creatures are moving about, casting strange shadows up the tunnel. The murmur of voices can be heard: dour and gravely, but with a sing-song rhythmic quality.

If the party is quiet, one with good hearing can just make out the song:

Our Mighty King was kind, brave, and strong
Told us what to do for so long
Got caught in a trap
His neck broke with a snap
We welcome our new king with a song!

It's baaad luck, to be you...

From the root-covered wall opposite of the tunnel down, you here quiet, grumbling voices. They seem to be behind the roots; a closer look reveals a hidden chamber behind the curtain of roots and webbing.

Farmerbink
2016-12-08, 11:11 AM
Hopton follows a few paces back, his torch illuminating the root-lined walls and ceiling. At the landing, he stops for several seconds, oddly inspecting a largely nondescript patch of soil and web-covered roots. "This place gives me the heeby-jeebies!" he whispers- his voice echoing oddly in the misshapen cellar.

Dangit. Hopton's flat-footed AC isn't the best... :smallmad:

BilltheCynic
2016-12-08, 07:50 PM
Licht stops short when he sees the shadows and hears the murmuring. He tries to pick out what they are saying but can't quite make out any words. He whispers to the others, "Careful; this is their home and they knew we were fighting the vermin. They, uh, might be expecting us." He places his arms in front of him and shifts his feet, readying for an attack.

Going to take a total defense action while the others make their own perception checks. +4 AC until the start of my next turn, bringing it up to 24, or 23 verses an unseen opponent.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-08, 11:11 PM
"Hmmm, we must be getting close - there is more of that ghastly music coming from up ahead," Aaron says, holding his shield (enhanced magically to light his way) and sword at the ready.

Perception [roll0]

Harhoult
2016-12-09, 12:29 PM
Archibald brings up the rear, his own torch adding to the flickering shadows.
"So then. Did you have a plan, outside of rushing in, grabbing the child, and cutting out way out? If anyone wanted to attempt a more diplomatic approach, now would be the time to speak up."

There is a faint "thipt" sound, and a small quill suddenly careens off a root inches from Archibald's head before falling to the ground. A thick black fluid oozes from it's tip.

Archibald stares blankly at the dart for a moment, flushing white as the near miss sinks in.

Gravely voices suddenly come from behind the wall across from the tunnel downwards
"Twit! You miss! Told you I do the shootin!"
"Shutit. They not 'truders anyhow"
"Get another stinger! They 'truders cause they got in!"
"Can't be. Topside mites keepin 'truders out now."
"Ack, they hear us! King say: Intruders OUT!"
"*grumble* Fine, I drop wall. Better be meat left."

There is a sharp snap and the wall collapses, revealing it to be a net of woven roots and spiderweb. Behind is a small chamber containing two... creatures.

There are two squat creatures that appear to be all head; unfortunate, considering how ugly their puffy blue faces are. Enormous eyes are half-lidded in the torchlight. They are armed: one with a short stone-tipped spear, the other with a long hollow tube.
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/pathfinder/images/0/04/Mite.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20090731190822

The one with the spear brandishes it at the party. His voice sounds like one who is trying to be commanding, but is rather unenthused about it. "You there! Run off into night! Get gone, or we fight!"

The other waves the tube about a bit. "Right. Go 'way, so I can get a bite."

These threats would be more comical if the creatures were not riding giant spiders, fangs clicking and dripping in anticipation.

You recognize the creatures as Mites, a type of fey creature known for their dour attitude and love of vermin. They are rumored to bestow bad luck. They do not typically live in large groups though, or have a King for that matter.
Like all Fey, they operate on their own logic that may seem strange to regular folk.

Mites can use simple magic at will, as well as doom a foe to unnatural bad luck. They share the Fey weakness to cold iron. Normal metals do not harm them, but they treat them with a superstitious fear.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-09, 03:53 PM
Moving confidently between Licht's monstrous form and that of the small blue creatures, Aaron sheathes his sword and holds his hand out in a placating gesture. "Excuse us, but we cannot do that - we believe your people have kidnapped a youngster from the nearby village. We are here to recover him and bring him home to his father. If you would speak with us for a moment, perhaps we can do this without need of violence. Please, lower your weapons as I have done mine, and parlay with us," he says, earnestly.

Diplomacy (untrained) [roll0] to try and get the Mites to talk. Aaron is not lowering his shield until they lower their weapons, but is trying to look un-intimidating.

Harhoult
2016-12-09, 05:47 PM
As this is hardly the medium for proper conversation, feel free to interrupt these two at any point. We can say anything after such interjection didn't happen, and I will edit to keep things cleanish.

Quinn chuckles nervously. "They're mites... little fey. Never heard of a tribe of them before..."

The two mites stare at Aaron, huge eyes unblinking. The more aggressive one, armed with a spear, grumbles at the knight, spear waving about in an attempt to menace.

"Stoopid biggun, we're not kids, or napping...We mitey guards! Keep you folk from bothing cory nation. Karmalda say so." it seems to be eyeing Aaron's shield warily, and keeps the spear between it and himself. The other mite, absently fiddling with a blowgun dart, hisses a bit at that name and interrupts. "Dat witch. Set us up here, away from fresh meat. Just 'cause I ate some a 'is dried frogs..."
The first mite continues: "Don't care about biggun village. They kill old mitey king. Snapped his neck in nassty metal trap. So we borrow a biggun, only fair. A little one, like old King was."

"We don't have that little big one anymore anyhow. Nasty thing anyway, had sharp metal thing."

"We don't? Where it go? Thought we needed it. That why we hunt that biggun, catch horses."

The blowgun mite smacks the first with his tube. "Dummy. That why he ain't here, remember? So we get a new king. Ought to be done now, or soon... meat smells cooked."

The first mite shows the first real expression of emotion you've seen so far: excitement twists his features into something truly horrible. "New king ready? Then we go see 'im, eat meat! But what we do with these things?"

"Well, they not 'truders, so maybe..."

The two look at each other and say in unison:

"Prisoners!"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-10, 12:40 PM
Aaron tries to follow the conversation between the two mites with a face that betrays confusion and doubt repeatedly as the fey speak. "A witch named Karmalda...they think that kidnapping Lucente is 'borrowing' him to be their king...and they are clearly talking about cooking and eating people," he mutters as he listens, his expression taking on a stern and angry visage.

Looking to the two mites again, he raises his voice and declares, "We are most certainly not your prisoners. If you wish to parlay in good faith, then lower your weapons, as I have lowered mine. This is your last warning - we 'bigguns' do not take well to threats from those who would take a child from his father!"

Diplomacy didn't seem to get the point across that we weren't playing games, so here's an Intimidate (untrained) check: [roll0].

BilltheCynic
2016-12-10, 01:33 PM
Licht gladly lets Aaron step forward to talk, hoping that he could reason with these mites instead of fighting. Unfortunately, Aaron seems to have about as much success with that as Percidal had with those warthogs. Fortunately, the mites were much more talkative than the warthogs, though what they say doesn't make much sense to Licht. All that matters is that they seem to be angry at the village and the boy is in terrible danger right now. The mites don't seem to be heeding Aaron's diplomacy or threats, so a fight looks likely. While the mites were still going back and forth in their dialogue, he carefully points a finger at Archibald and magically whispers into his ear:
"You might want to stand back and let me get up front. Remember that I can withstand fire if need be."
Licht moves to where Archibald was, taking a stance in front of the creatures and settling into a fighting stance. He growls in concurrence with Aaron, "Agreed. Do not make us crush you."
If I'm reading the map correctly, right now Quinn and Archibald are "at the front" in regards to these creatures, correct?

While the creatures are talking, cast Message to send the message to Archibald. If Archibald moves, take his spot at O20 and taking a total defense action to raise AC to 24.

Farmerbink
2016-12-10, 06:42 PM
Hopton sheathes his blade along with Aaron, but when the larger warrior begins talking, Hopton only grumbles. "Where'd it go!? Bugger, it was right here!" He doesn't immediately find what he seeks in the top of his bag, and before long is shoulders-deep in the canvas, haphazardly tossing small knick knacks and trinkets onto the floor of the cave as he rummages about. His voice, slightly faint from the bag over his head rings out, "Aha! Wait, wait!"

Standing his full two feet and change, Hopton hurries up around Aaron, a slightly lumpy, distinctly misshapen meat pie held before him in both hands. "You wanted meat, right? I brought you some!" He cautiously creeps forward, closer to the mites. "I heard you liked treats and pies, and I just thought..." His voice trails off, quietly. For perhaps the first time in his life, Hopton bears a distinctly uncomfortable expression. He looks over his shoulder with a glance that screams "what am I doing?!"

"Like he said, we can't leave without the uhh, you called him a little big one? We need to take the little big one home, and I uhhh... that is, I thought you might like some pie?" He smiles a tad uneasily at the mites, not at all sure what to expect from the gesture.

Totally untrained diplomacy check, hopefully modified by meat pie bonus. [roll0]

Harhoult
2016-12-11, 04:38 PM
Archibald snapped out of his trance (he had been staring at the poison dart all this time) and gives Licht a curt nod as he makes room. He begins to subtly prepare the appropriate spell. Little freaks nearly got me! he thinks to himself, eyes burning with sudden anger. I do hope negotiations break down...

The mite brandishing a spear flinches as Aaron, backed by Licht, makes it clear that they mean business. It's bulging eyes flick about, taking in his odds in a straight fight.

"Er... fine. You not prisoners. Sheesh. What are you den, if you's not 'truders or prisoners?"

The second one finally gets a dart loaded and glances up. "This making my head hurt. And Twitchy (he gives his arachnid mount a pat) is gettin hungry. Let's..."

The second one trails off ass Hopton comes forward with his peace offering. It's jaw drops, revealing black, uneven teeth, and it's eyes bulge out even further. "MEAT PIE!" it screeches. "That for me? Take, eat it?" The mite hardly waits for a response before scuttling off of his mount, seizing the pie, and returning with startling speed. "I knows what they are!" it splutters between mouthfuls. "Guests! Theys got PIES!"

The first mite watches the feast with envy. It sighs, resigned to be surrounded by fools, big and small. "Stoopid bigguns, we already said we don't have little biggun no more. At least, we don't if we've a new king." It waves his spear halfheartedly. "But we guards, can't just let you in. Karmalda say so."

"New king, new rules." the eating mite adds helpfully. "Witch ain't in charge, if there's a new king."

"Ah. That make sense." It finally pulls back his spear. "I take "guests" to new king. Get new rules. And fresh meat. You, you and your greasy old pie can stay here."

With that, it spurs it's mount forward. The spider takes the only route open: up the wall, across the ceiling (deftly dodging the heads of the "bigguns") and into the tunnel headed down. A gravely voice calls back: "Well, come on then. Hurries up, meet Mitey King."

The Mitey Guard leads the party quickly into the gloom. A glance back shows the other mite sharing gravy, surprisingly tenderly, with his trusty mount.

Archibald sighs irritably, with only visions of charred mite to console him.

Now would be a good time to have a strategy figured out. The guard mite is going ahead quickly (possibly to sooner get meat) and won't overhear such planning. The following applies once the party reaches the main cavern proper; it is assumed that unless the guard is silenced, it will spoil any stealth you attempt.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The narrow tunnel leads down steeply. Even stepping carefully, there are a few minor slips in the soft mud (eliciting curses from Archibald). The light and singing grow stronger, and soon all can make out some of the chant-like song:

Once we were scatted far and wide
Scavving for food and holes to hide
Mitey King tells us what to do
It's fun because it's new
Made us into proper tribe.

A new King is what we needed
So some Bigguns we went and beat-ed
Trade a squirt for a King and a meal;
It's really quite the deal!
And our New King with tell us what to dooo

Oh, it's baad luck, to be you...

The tunnel opens up into a large cavern (about 12' tall by 60' long) smelling of incest musk and roasting flesh. A large cooking-fire is burning in the center, over which several spits of misshapen lumps of meat are being turned. The smoke rises out of a narrow hole at the top of the cave.

To the left (north) there is a pile of refuse teeming with dangerously large vermin. They are feasting on the offal of some large creature(s), at least some of which is obviously horse.

To the right is a jumble of things that must be the mite's sleeping area; furs and webs are mixed with the odd bits that make up personal belongings.

On the far side of the firepit, a large flat rock makes a dais of sorts. On it stands two mites. It is hard to make out anything about them from here, but they seem to be of importance from how the other mites treat them.

Next to the rock is what seems to be an enormous polished boulder. It twitches, revealing insectoid legs and a long, sharp horn.

About two dozen mites are milling about the cavern: some are tending the meat, some are minding the feeding vermin, and still others are gathered around their ruler.

The guard scuttles into the cavern on his mount, waving his spear and bellowing. "Guests! Guests for the Mitey King! Makes way! ooh, meat is 'bout ready..."

All the mites turn in unison to stare blankly at the unexpected "guests".

Harhoult
2016-12-12, 09:47 PM
The guard mite mutters and argues with the closest mites who, seeing a band of 'truders in their midst, had drawn weapons. Presently a chorus of "Pies! Guests for the King! Bigguns!" spreads across the cave. Small figures gather round, keeping cautious distance from the party's weapons. Angry mutters of "nasty metal" are heard. A few of the more pragmatic mites get to their chosen vermin mounts, ready to defend their cave.

The party is brought around the firepit towards the dias. The smell of cooking meat is actually quite good, though the nondescript lumps on the spits makes one wonder as to what the meat came from.

The flat rock dias is about two feet high, bringing it's occupants almost to biggun height. The shorter mite on the left is odd, even by mite standards: it is decked out in colored fabrics, a mixmatch of belts, crude talismans, and small dried critters. It bears an ornately carved wand. As the party approaches, it stares at them with rather hard, cold eyes.

The righthand mite is a full head taller than the other mites you've seen. It too has odd clothing: while the others are dressed in rags turned grey with filth, this one has what would be rather fine clothes befitting a princeling or wealthy merchant. At least they would be, if they had not been slashed and bloodied. They also fit the mite awkwardly; the size in right enough, but the large head and spindly limbs of a mite was never meant for human clothes. This mite must be the King, if the crown of green branches is any indication. The crown pales in comparison, however, to the large and gaudy gold amulet around it's neck. Around the mite's waist is buckled a belt and empty scabbard. The King has a rather vapid look, and seems more confused than anything.

There is a large beetle of enormous size to the right of the dias. It's sword-sharp mandibles click and snap as the outsiders approach, but it makes to move to attack.

The party is brought before this odd couple. The guard mite makes a big show of introducing the "Not-'Truders, with Pie". It turns to the party. "I presents: our new King! He be mitey! And, ah, Karmalda, I guess..." This last bit is directed at the smaller, wand-bearing mite. "Well then. I go eat meat now. Don't be causin ruckus now." It then turns and scuttles away to prod the cooking meat hopefully.

The King stares at the party blankly for a long moment. His mouth opens and shuts, as if to say something. Karmalda grunts irritably and leans to his ear, whispering something. The king immediately straightens up, and demands in a surprisingly loud and clear voice: "Who are these miserable people, to come before the Mitey King?"

The amulet has a moderate transmutation aura. The wand has a moderate enchantment aura. Karmalda's trinkets have several small, indistinct auras.

BilltheCynic
2016-12-12, 11:23 PM
Licht nervously glances around at the mass of mites and vermin. They had felled two large vermin earlier, and the mites probably weren't too dangerous alone, but there are just so many of them. If this mite king refused diplomacy, things would get ugly quite fast and they would likely never find the boy. Assuming they survived, of course. At the smell of the cooking meat Licht's stomach drops. He hopes that isn't the boy he smelled, and he hates himself for thinking it smells good. At the sight of the two important mites he starts brushing himself, trying to look a bit more presentable.

Mudoru sighs in exasperation. "You have no idea how to handle this, do you? Very well, allow me to assist you. That is, unless you want the boy and your new friends to survive."

Licht cringes, but unfortunately the devil has a point. It has far more experience negotiating and manipulating than he, even if most of that experience is locked from it right now, and it is also far more confident. This really was a delicate matter far over Licht's head. Licht gulps, then mentally replies, "Alright, but only to help the boy, and try to solve this peacefully."

Licht stops brushing himself and his worried face is replaced by a knowing smirk. He seems to stride more confidently now, as if unworried by the mites and vermin all around. As the enormous beetle starts snapping at the party, Licht sneers and swats the mandibles away, obviously not an attack but a gesture of annoyance. The smirk instantly returns to his face, and his bows his head slightly to the mite king and Karmalda.

Licht chuckles at the king's demand. "Is that how you greet all of your guests, oh mitey king? Particularly ones bearing peace offering? We enter your noble presence* peacefully, only destroying a few vermin that tried to attack us, and we even let guards who ambushed us live as a token of our good faith. We simply wish to know of the whereabouts of a certain "little biggun" that we have been...tasked to return to his people safely. Perhaps you can help us with this, and we may be able to help you in return, आशा छ अरु पठाउन अघि**."

"Hopefully before the others are sent."

*Bluff to convery a secret message to Karmalda***: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

"I know where the true power behind the throne lies, noble witch"

Farmerbink
2016-12-13, 12:56 PM
Hopton cautiously steps forward, having recovered the second pie from his bag. "I understand you enjoy treats and snacks, mitey king!" He steps forward, unsure where to place the treat- at the feet of the ostensible king or the obvious power behind the throne. Instead, he stands awkwardly between the two, glancing from side to side well over his head (thanks to the raised dais).

Pitiful attempt at diplomacy assistance: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-13, 09:06 PM
Aaron watches the diplomatic efforts with a silent groan before stepping forward, just behind Hopton. Bowing low to the space between king and witch, he says, "We all come with hopeful hearts, for there is much good that can come to both our people from an exchange of peaceful goods. We saw the fine workmanship of the mites in this proud kingdom and know how much you savor fine, meaty foods. Perhaps we can begin our relationship on good terms with an exchange of goods for the safe return of a young boy mistakenly brought here in the last several hours? In addition, we are beginning to explore the nearby Delve, and would be honored to trade powerful magic treasures for useful supplies - such as your fine spidersilk ropes - if it would please the court."

I am trying to appeal to the King's desire for meat - which is likely echoed by his subjects - and the witch's likely interest in magical items.

I don't know how it is best to adjudicate things - perhaps take the highest Diplomacy roll and modify it as appropriate with those helping?

Aaron's (untrained) Diplomacy check: [roll0] to either Aid Another or lead the diplomatic efforts (mechanically), as the DM sees fit.

Harhoult
2016-12-14, 01:36 PM
The ruling mites stare at Licht, stony-faced, throughout his speech. A faint jerk of the head, the suggestion of a nervous glance is all the evidence Karmalda betrays of receiving the intent of the message.

The effect of finishing in Infernal has a sudden and unexpected effect: all the mites, with notable exception of the King, flinch and draw away. For several long heartbeats the cave is eerily silent save the crackle of flame. The mites begin to stir and mutter. Some phrases of disquiet reach your ears: "Dark Tongue" and "Fiend" chief among them. If they had not noticed Licht's odd form before, Those mites that had, for one reason or another, paid little attention so far are now watching warily. More still have found their weapons.

Karmalda is quivering with rage or fear. It steps forward with a clatter of tokens and the crunch of dried herbs. It opens it's mouth to issue some dire proclamation of doom on the party...

And Hopton steps forward and offers them pie.

Karmalda is flabbergasted (or at least, as far as it's flabby face can betray). The King, who looks to be as perplexed as the party no doubt feels, gives a sigh of relief when something he can understand happens.

"Good!" he declares. "You, at least, show the proper humility and bring tribute. Though uninvited and unwanted, I will name you all Guests... for now." He moves to take the pie, but Karmalda beats him to it. Taking the pie, it begins to mutter over it and peer at it suspiciously.

You recognize the spell as Detect Poison

It then sets the pie down before the King, with more than a little hunger evident. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the King seems a bit taken by surprise by Karmalda's actions.

"We has no reason to trust bigguns." it hisses. Karmalda's voice is identical to all the other mites, save for the malice. "Theys full of lies and traps. Trap killed old King, 'member. And them who speak Dark Tongue..." it shudders again. "They never been good for mites."

The King waves his hand dismissively. "I have said they are guests, so they are. With pie, no less. I will hear their plea."

As Aaron reiterates the party's request, the king fingers his gaudy amulet and stares with his huge dark eyes. Karmalda seems to have calmed down for the moment. As Aaron speaks, it's attention wavers as it's eyes are drawn to the pie.

The king grimaces ( or smiles, it is hard to tell) when Aaron finishes. "It is good to see a human with proper manners. I cannot help you about this boy you speak of, however. The previous king had a strict policy of avoiding outsiders. My subjects did rescue a mite in the clutches of a human merchant earlier. This mite, raised by humans, was knowledgeable of their ways and so was chosen as the new King. I know this, because I was...I was...that isn't, I mean...

The king begins to stutter. He looks down at his hands, blue and pudgy, with confusion. "What...where is Fath-"

He is cut off as Karmalda breaks gaze on the pie and rushes to his side. With a flick of the wand, it leans in and whispers in the king's ear. He soon straightens up and, grasping the amulet, continues as if nothing happened.

"So as you see, you are mistaken. Moving last that, I am quite intrigued with a trade agreement. You are right; the spidersilk goods we can produce are quite valuable; rope of this sort sells for about 100 gold pieces, typically; though I imagine we can come to a wholesale arrangement." A queer gleam is in his eyes, he is obviously no stranger to bartering. Karmalda, on the other hand, looks completely lost at words like "wholesale". It does register that someone thing it doesn't like is happening.

"Old king wise, had us avoid big people's. Safer that way.." The king dismisses the mite's concerns. "The more I think of it, the more I see the old king did not leverage his resources well. Why, with gold coming in, we could get proper steel weapons... Even expand our territory..." His eager grin is nearly as frightening as Karmalda 's dismay.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-14, 11:21 PM
Aaron watches the display with a mixture of fascination and horror as he realizes the trickery going on before him. Turning to the king Mite he asks, "Your majesty - were you called 'Lucenta' before you came to the powerful mite tribe you now lead?" He watches the witch closely for her reaction to his question, worry evident on the noble's face...

Harhoult
2016-12-15, 10:27 AM
The king jerks a bit at the name Lucente, and when he answers it is slow with in uncertainty. " Yes. That was my name. Back when I was..."He shakes his head as if to clear it. "But I am King now. Yes." His voice gains confidence, "The Mitey King, King of Kings! All will look on my works, and despair!"

The mites erupt with cries of Hail King! Long live Mitey King! Karmalda (who had stepped up to yet again whisper) instead looks smugly at the party. "See? He King now, gives us orders. There no boy here, so go 'way and leaves us be!"

I think this is in character, correct me if I'm wrong: Quinn takes the moment when all eyes are on the king to cast Detect Magic, to confirm his suspicions about that amulet. If so:

Quinn tries to subtly get someone's attention. If successful, he makes an odd gesture, as if taking off a necklace, with a meaningful glance at the King.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-15, 07:20 PM
Aaron looks at Quinn for confirmation before turning to glare at the witch. "Karmalda, I do not wish us to become your personal enemies, but I wish to speak with the Mitey King without your interference. As powerful and grand as he is, he does not need you to influence him when he speaks with guests. I am sincere when I say that I mean you no harm, but will not tolerate you continuing to enthrall him with your magic," he says with a hint of steel in his voice. Turning back to the "king" he continues, "Your Majesty, please try and remember. Your father, Marcaeus, at least deserves to say goodbye to the mite he spent years raising. Please, arrange a delegation of your people and lead them back to the human village so we may cement our trade agreement there."

I am not exactly sure what skills this dialogue will require. Aaron would Intimidate Karmalda, use Diplomacy on the "king," and possibly a little bit of Bluff too (since he plans to help Lucente recover from his enchantment and to work for some lasting peace between the mite tribe and the local village).

Here's a roll: [roll0]. Please assign it as appropriate.

BilltheCynic
2016-12-15, 11:29 PM
A devious smile crawls across Licht's face as the situation dawns on him. He chuckles to himself, and while Aaron makes his grand speech Licht subtly points a finger at Karmalda, and magically whispers in his ear*, "As amusing as this is, I am afraid I am contractually required to inform you that if the boy is not returned to his father, your entire tribe is doomed and damned. Do you know the Fallen Duchy in this area? Once human kings lived there, striking deals with devils to enforce their will over the superstitious peasants. The foolish king did try to renege on a bargain, and the devils turned on him, leaving his great keep in ruins. Some of the humans, however, still secretly cling to those ways, to pacts with denizens of Hell. This boy's father, Marcaes, is a merchant. His job is to connect with people, strike deals with them. And unfortunately you have pushed him to desperation. He has made bargains with devils, including yours truly, with one goal: to bring his son back alive. You are fortunate that he is also a savvy business man, for he does not wish genocide against potential customers and has forbidden us from simply wiping your tribe out...for now, anyway. If you do not relinquish the boy, however, those restrictions become void. And do not think you can hide, for I will not be the only devil assailing you; there will be fiendish trackers, horrid creatures of the sky, devils that can walk through walls, all because you stubbornly refuse to let the pitiful human go."

The whispering becomes more conspiratorial in nature. Besides, he won't be a good king for your tribe. See already how he shuns your advice, wants to go against the traditions of the old king? How long before he feels you hold him back and tries to be rid of you? What will you do then? You control him now because he is still torn in his identity, but as he grows more mitey he will heed you less, as he has already started. And with the humans already mad that the mites have captured one of their young ones and seeking vengeance through any channels necessary, the whole tribe will burn. Better for you to give the boy up now, सानो परी चुडैल**

Little mite witch
Castin Message to talk to Karmalda
Bluff: [roll0]
Intimidate: [roll1]
Diplomacy: [roll2]

Harhoult
2016-12-16, 11:02 AM
The Mitey King listens to Aaron, but interrupts as he rebukes Karmalda. "I will not have you speak against my counselor! Karmalda has aided this tribe for years beyond count, and has been indispensable in my ascension. Whatever magics you are accusing of, I am sure it is only to protect myself and the tribe. Right, Karmalda?"

Karmalda, it seems, is not available for comment. Shortly after Aaron had started to speak, it began to twitch it's ears and stare at Licht. The mite seems to be shrinking inside it's filthy rags, black eyes bulging with fear or anger.

The king watches Karmalda for a moment. Confusion returns to his face. "Ah. Right. Please, carry on..."

Aaron finishes his plea. The Mitey King is silent for along moment, then shakes his head sadly. "Yes. My father... I forgot, I think. He was kind. I should see him. I... I want to see him!" The Mitey King suddenly looks far less mighty; more scared and lost than kingly. He begins to shake, and sinks slowly to the ground. "What happened?" he murmurs. "Who... who am I?!"

The hall falls quiet. All the mites seem to share in the King's grief, though they don't understand it. Those who have armed themselves are uncertain; what was a happy occasion has become something quite out of their expectations.

Karmalda recovers with a shudder, and looks at the party with open fear. "Please!" it pleads, voice twisted into a pitiful cry, "Don't harm us! Don't take our King! We needs King!"

Karmalda takes a ragged breath, and continues a bit more calmly. "I 'member. Long long long ago, but I 'member. The Great Tree... but 'umans came, built stone cage. They spoke the Dark Tongue, hunts us, drives us away. Them there was fire, and the Tree fell. We felt it, it hurt us. No longer safe, we fled into holes." Karmalda seems lost in memory now, a sad history of the Duchy and sins of the past.

"Then King came to us. First King was strange, but very smart. Told us how to live without Tree, how to live near Big Folk. But one day, he... stopped. Died, like Bigguns do. So we needed a new King. I found another like him, put Mite-Maker on him... and he became new King!"

"But he got old, and slow. Went off by himself and nasty trap got him. So we needed another. And vengeance against Bigguns. We saw a little thing, snatched him to be King, beat up the Big One. Not kill, that against Rules."

"You see? We need him! No King, no-one to tell us what to do. We can't live here, so close to humans, without King! Can't stay together without King. We scatter, have to hide and scav to live, like Bads Times."

"So please! Leave us a King!" Karmalda ends this plea with a bubbling, gurgling sob. The wand twitches in it's hand, but the Licht's silent threats stays her from aiding her King for now.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-16, 10:15 PM
The reaction of the mites - including the ensorcelled boy - leaves Aaron visibly upset and sympathetic to them. Turning now to the other mites in the space, he addresses them all, saying, "Oh great and mitey friends, we understand your fears and worries! They mirror those of a poor man who tonight lost his son and begged our aid in recovering him!" He turns and gestures to the enchanted boy. "Lucente is distraught and confused because deep down he knows something is wrong about this. But I tell you tonight that it does not have to be this way! NO!

You say you need a king and are only getting justice for violence aimed at previous monarchs, but we bigguns have a saying: 'Two wrongs do not make a right.' Your great people will not find peace or prosperity by returning violence for violence. Instead, return this young boy to his family and join our community in the commerce we offer as allies! Consider looking to another mite - one truly born and raised as a mite, such as Karmalda, perhaps - for leadership and follow them as you would have followed Lucente. You can do the right thing and gain the prosperity and peace you so desire. Please, free this child and send a delegation with us to peacefully join the greater community of those above!"

Diplomacy (clearly this time) (untrained): [roll0]

Harhoult
2016-12-17, 03:10 PM
The mites seem to take in Aaron's offer. The silence turns to muttering as they discuss it amongst themselves. Arguments break out throughout the cave as the confused mites try to come to a decision. Several mites begin calling out to "Kill the 'truders! Save the King!" These are shouted down by others, insisting "King call them Guests, can't kill guests". Still others seem to have grown fed up with all the big words and have turned to the spits of meat. "These here done! We eatin now, that fine?"

Karmalda calls out to the arguing mites, "Stop! All yous, go eat meat! We talk to guests!" A few of the mites that had been standing about confused shrugged and joined the feast, but her proclamation had a quite different effect on most. Cries of "You not King! We've a King now, not listen to you!" and "What wrong with the King?" ring out.

Hopton feels a tap on his shoulder. A mite has crept in close, and is cautiosly poking at Hopton's pack. "You guests... give pies for rope? That what yous saying?" It holds up a tangle of spidersilk rope expectantly.

The King seems to hear these cries, but is still caught in some inner turmoil. He curls up and puts his flabby hands over his floppy ears, bulging eyes squeezed shut. Mites begin gathering about the dias (keeping a wary distance from the party). Some copy their King and drop to the ground and others simply watch and mutter.
Karmalda shakes her head. "All mites obey King. That the Rule. Mites only obey Karmalda when they want to." She looks down at the suffering King and points her wand at him. "I can fix him, and he calm the mites. But" and she throws a fearful glance at Licht, "Yous have to promise not hurt mites!"

BilltheCynic
2016-12-20, 05:06 AM
Licht narrows his eyes at Karmalda for several seconds, saying nothing. In his mind Licht sends to Mudoru, "We can't let her do this! The king is about to break free of his enchantment. He is about to return to normal."

"I thought you wanted to settle this peacefully," responds Mudoru. Unless you want to bring all of these mites and vermin down on us and risk the boy getting killed in the chaos...or all of us dead, and he made a mite forever."

Licht sighs mentally, but allows Mudoru to continue dictating his actions. He finally glances at the mites imitating their king's turmoil and rolls his eyes at them. "Pathetic," he mutters. He turns back to Karmalda and says, "Very well, I will allow you to...fix the king. For now, anyway. We wouldn't want the talks to break down now, would we?"

He then folds his hands. "Karmalda, you say you remember back when the first king came to the mites. A keeper of much lore from your tribe I expect. It still amazes me that one with your experience and magic, enough to command that amulet and those wands, fairly impressive by primitive standards, does not have more respect from the other mites. But that is beside the point; I simply wish to know more about this tradition of yours. Tell me more about the first king. Was he "mitey" like your current one? Where did he come from, and why did he help the mites? How long ago did he reign? How exactly was he strange? And on a side note, what are those "rules" you mentioned that forbid you from killing the Big One?"

Farmerbink
2016-12-20, 11:11 AM
Hopton's face follows the conversation, leaping from Karmalda's outburst to Licht's condescension and flickers among the mites as they offer their own interjections. He jumps at the sudden poke. Taking in the view of the mite (nearly his height), with something akin to excitement, Hopton responds: "I wou- yes, that's what we're trying to do!"

His expression turns a tad sorrowful, as he considers the offered rope. As gently as he can, he shakes his head begrudgingly. "I didn't know there were so many of you Mites. I don't have enough pies with me, but I can get more!" He holds up a finger. "Let me talk with the Mitey king- Hopefully, he will agree to a trade!"

He turns to his companions, "How can we leave them with a king, but still return young Lucente to his father?"

Harhoult
2016-12-20, 03:20 PM
I was going to split my post into two parts, as letting Karmalda fix the king starts a notable event that may influence your posts.

Giving Licht another worried glance, Karmalda turns to the whimpering King and brandishes her wand. She is loud enough to overhear this time as she tries to talk through the king's clamped hands.

"You Mitey King," she says slowly and clearly. "Meat is ready, you should start feast."

As she has used this wand several times in veiw, a magically studied person could make a guess as it's function: a Suggestion spell to augment whatever the amulet is doing.

The effect is astounding. The King stands up and blinks confusedly, then raises his hands to make a proclamation.

"Fellow Mites! Peace! End your bickering! The meat is done, so let us feast! I will speak with the guests, so be at ease."

A cheer echos in the cavern as mites busy themselves with chunks of steaming meat and clay pots of some beverage. Refreshments are brought for the King and Karmalda and, after some encouragement from the King, the party. He and his counselor sit on the edge of the dias, and he gestures for the party to sit before him.

The meat is nondescript, but delightfully charred and mouthwatering. The beverage is dark and smells sickly-sweet and fermented. Not sure what to roll to ID; let's say Nature or Survival unless someone knows better.

Insert Licht's questions here

Karmalda raises one hand as if to ward off the barrage. "Fine," she grumbles. "Maybe Dark One understand after story why we need King." As she weaves a tale of the First King, the current monarch leans in to listen, nibbling on Hopton's tribute.

The mite holding out a rope to Hopton looks even more dejected than typical. No pies? It mutters sadly. "King get us pies though, right? I suppose I just eat meat then..." The mite skitters off, but returns shortly with a lump of meat of its own. It looks down near Hopton and eyes him critically as it's broken black teeth tear into a juicy meal.

Harhoult
2016-12-20, 09:00 PM
Karmalda tells the story in her usual dour tone:

"Long long ago, then long ago again, many mites live in this forest. Forest bigger then, with more fey. All were protected by Great Tree, so mites were safe. Got picked on by other feys, but safe. Didn't have to live in groups like this neither. That is when I first met the Old King, though he wasn't yet. Then he was just odd mite. Wore nasty yellow metal thing 'round neck. Also kept bothering other mites with questions. And had annoying laugh. He also did writings, when he thought we weren't looking. We'd hide his papers sometimes, but he'd only laugh, so we stopped that."

"Then Bad Things happened. More Bigguns came and cut down trees. Built a stone cage around tree. Tree got sick, and the forest got dangerous. We mites had to scatter, find safe holes. But that was just beginning. The Bigguns cut down tree! We all felt it... it cried a long time..."

"Then the Old King found us. Brought us to forgotten tower, had us dig under it. Started teaching us things, like how to live together. How to grow really big tough bugs, how to make ropes and traps. He How to survive without Tree."

"He gave us the Rules, like Always Obey King, and Don't Kill Bigguns, Just Scare Away. He always said, no matter how mean they be, killin them would just bring more. Old King wise."

"He even taught this one new magics, and how to put magics into sticks! Very good at magics, the Old King was. Could make things unreal seem real, fool Bigguns."

"But he got old. I know that word now, he told me. I thought he was being odd again... mites don't get old. But he stopped one day. We put him to bed, but he didn't wake up again."

"Then I found out something very odd. I took off his yellow metal thing (just to look at, I promise!) and he turned into little Biggun. Like that one (points at Hopton) but with bigger eyes, bright bright red moss on head. Very strange."

"The mites didn't know what to do, without a King or a Tree or anything. We thought we'd have to go find lonely holes to starve in. But I had idea. If Old King was a mite if he wore yellow thing, then maybe if we put it on a Biggun, it'd become new King! So we caught a littler one, tried it out. It worked! It thought it was a Mite now, and gave us new Rules. He not as clever though... He didn't do magics, and only wanted pies, fancy rags, and funny chairs. But good enough King, all in all."

"But you know what happened to him. He got old too, but got stuck in trap instead of sleep. So we put him to bed in special room, next to first King, further down. (She glances at the tunnel at the back of the chamber)"

"And now we need new King. And he is very Mitey, no?"

Save failed!

The King listens to the story with rapt attention. At the conclusion, he beams: "Indeed. I will be the Miteyest King!"

Farmerbink
2016-12-21, 07:59 PM
Hopton accepts the food with a smile and a shrug. Despite having eaten recently, he takes several bites of the well-seared meat- assuming it to be horse. "It's really not so bad- not all that weird, either. When I was younger there was a bad time on the... the farm where I lived. Had to eat some of the work beasts. Tough meat, but good and filling," he comments idly, as he sucks on a piece of roast.

He listens to Karmalda's story, not tremendously surprised since it's more a re-telling of what they'd already figured out, only chronologically now. He continues to nod, acknowledging the advisor's words, even as his eyes begin to wander to Quinn, Aaron, and the others. "I think I understand what you're saying, Karmalda- and we can probably even get someone to be the Mitey king, but either way, I think we'll have to come up with some sort of arrangement. You can't just steal the man's boy. He has a fam-" In an unusual moment of insight, it occurs to Hopton that these Mites probably have no concept of family in their existence.

"Uhhh... Anyone know if there's an orphanage in town? One of the kids there might enjoy being king...?"

Harhoult
2016-12-21, 09:36 PM
[roll0]

Archibald settles to the damp ground with a grimace. His earlier reluctance had turned to amusement at the prospect of a proper battle, but now... "A bloody tea party" he mutters under his breath. He turns positively green when offered some meat. "Ah. N..no thanks you. I... I already ate..."

He to listens to Karmalda's story, occasionally snorting derisively. "Sounds like a gnome," he says after she has finished,"Typical. Always sticking a nose where it doesn't belong. Still..." He gives the matter a bit of thought. Seeing that the mites are paying scant attention to him, he continues. "He did do well for these mites, I suppose. They seem rather... inflexible. Not able, or willing, to adapt on their own. I imagine they would have died out without these precious Rules he set down. Hrm. Subjects that follow one's commands, without question or hesitation, for years after the command was given. That sounds... enviable, almost."

"Though I am not so sure about replacing one child-king with another, even if one could be found. Nothing is more potentially fickle, petty, or downright cruel as a child. You heard our dear Lucente's ambitions, after all... Do you really think such, ah, enthusiasm would serve these mites well?

"Not that their wellfare concerns me all to much." Archibald adds a bit hastily. "It is just, if we are committed to play kingmaker, we had best plan for the long game, yes?"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-21, 11:48 PM
Aaron listens and scowls at the idea of exchanging one child for another in this twisted society. "I will not have us trade children here - we need a solution that helps the mites and allows the children of the village to live without this sort of thing hanging over their heads," he says when Hopton and Archibald begin discussing alternatives to Lucente. "'Two wrongs do not make a right,' after all. I think the most obvious choice is for Karmalda to earn the trust of her people and lead them publicly. You are already the Mite King's...handler and a powerful mite yourself. Why would that not work?" he asks, turning to look at the mite witch seriously.

BilltheCynic
2016-12-22, 04:10 AM
Licht smiles to himself at the prospect of convincing Karmaldo to be king. Tempting a weakling to taking power. Familiar ground, and should be quite fun. He subtly points to Aaron and messages, "Be careful to watch your words; the boy seems to be embracing his position right now."

Licht then nods to Karmalda. "Ah, I see; mites need someone to lead them, someone with knowledge, experience, and power to guide them. You say the first Mitey King taught you to work magic? That is a very high responsibility, being taught how to bend reality itself to your whim; not knowledge distributed lightly. Did he teach any other mites how to work magic to the extant that you can? I doubt it; your first king, the one who first taught mites so much and how to survive without the tree, seemed to hold you in high regard. That seems well founded, since it was you who had the idea to make a new king when both the first and second king succumbed to age, as bigguns tend to do. You were an adviser to the second king too, I suppose? You've been so close to the seat of mitey power for so long, and you wield impressive magic." Licht turns slightly and bows his head slightly to king. "A good king is evident by the people he listens to, and you have chosen your company quite well, your majesty; I'm sure Karmalda will be a magnificent adviser to the miteyest king."*

*Bluff to send a hidden message to Karmalda: [roll0]
"With all of your experience and magic, you would make a great mitey king yourself; better than this Biggun child who you set up."

Harhoult
2016-12-22, 07:45 AM
Karmalda stares at Aaron the only way a mite can: dark and bulging. She sighs at this particularly dull Biggin, and explains again slowly: "Only King can order mites about and make Rules. Only way Karmalda could do that, if King made new Rule... If he... Ah." She blinks rapidly as a sudden thought strikes her, and falls silent.

Licht's (or rather, his fiendish guest) veiled suggestion seems to hit home. A twisted mite-smile crosses her face as she considers the possibilites. She leans in towards the party and whispers a conspiracy...

"I get King to make new Rule. Then you people take King out, through back tunnels and... wherever you's going. But King too Mitey right now. Need to remind him of past, make him less Mitey. More confused."

She turns to the King ( who has been explaining to a cluster of mites that one rope is worth far more than one pie). She hesitates as if reconsidering her treason, but says:

"Oh Mitey King! Tell us story about living with humans!"

The King grins, then launches into a retelling of some lucrative trade deal he had observed whilst travelling with his father. Recalling such things, especially Macaeus, brings about the usual symptoms: he stutters as his human mind struggles against his new Mitey nature...

[roll0]

This pushes the King over the edge. His eyes unfocus as he stares blankly, lost in his own mind.

Karmalda seizes the opportunity. She points her wand at him and states clearly for the spell:

"You are sleepy. Tell Mites to obey Karmalda. Then guests take you to bed."

The King nods, still in a daze. "Y...Yes. I sleepy. All mites obey Karmalda while I go lay down. Feast and be merry!"

His command is quickly spread throughout the hall, and cries of "Bye King! See you's later!" echo.

Karmalda calls to some nearby mites. "You! Go tell guard mites that King say to obey Karmalda. Go now!"

The feasting mites she pointed at drop their food and, with nary a grumble, head out of the cave to spread the word of Karmalda's rule. This seems to satisfy her.

"It is done. Now, guests, take King to bed. Go now!"

Farmerbink
2016-12-22, 10:29 PM
Hopton's eyes widen as the scene unfolds. With a chuckle, he tosses the meat to a nearby Mite, and reaches up- offering his hand to guide the "sleepy" king to bed. "Come on, then, sleepyhead. It's well past your bedtime!"

With Lucente in tow, Hopton leads the party towards the tunnels Karmalda pointed out. As soon as they get out of sight of the Mites, he turns to the ensorcelled lad, and raises his hand to remove the necklace. "Let's get this off of you, Lucente. Seems a heavier burden than it appears, to be sure." He turns to his allies. "Anyone care to take odds whether or not Karmalda is gonna play nice?"

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-22, 10:40 PM
"No bet," says Aaron shortly as he takes point and begins to move through the tunnels aggressively. "Come on - we need to put these tunnels behind us quickly and get the boy to safety. After that we can come back to see if peaceful commerce with these mites is possible."

Aaron will take 10 on Perception for a 13, using his shield with a Light orison to move forward. If he stumbles into a trap or anything, I plan to heal the damage and keep moving. Let's get Lucente home!

BilltheCynic
2016-12-23, 01:08 AM
Licht grins and bows to Karmalda. “As you wish,” he says, and adds with a message, “Mitey King Karmalda.” He takes the rear of the party and makes haste down the tunnels with them. As they run Licht sends to Mudoru, “I never thought I would say this, but, um, thank you Mudoru. I, uh, am not sure I could have negotiated out of that on my own. But Lucente is with us now; I am taking back control.”

There is a fierce scraping sound from the devil at this, but Mudoru grudgingly replies, “Of course, my host.”

At the transition Licht staggers a few steps but continues forward. He nervously glances from side to side as if half expecting an ambush, yet does not slow down. He responds to Hopton, “You mean, do you think Karmalda will let us walk away cleanly. I, um, I actually think she might. She gains nothing by attacking us, and she seems big on adhering to the traditions, like the ‘Don’t kill bigguns’ one.” He glances back briefly and adds, “Still, we should, uh, probably get out of here quickly.”

Harhoult
2016-12-23, 02:06 PM
The back tunnel from the cave is near at hand, so the party moves quickly. There is a bend a short ways in headed north. After the bend, the tunnel runs another fifteen feet or so before opening into a small round chamber about 20 feet across. It is richly furnished, by mite standards, and allows room for the party to reorganize.

As soon as they get out of sight of the Mites, he turns to the ensorcelled lad, and raises his hand to remove the necklace. "Let's get this off of you, Lucente. Seems a heavier burden than it appears, to be sure."

The Mitey King blinks and stared blankly as Hopton examines the Mite Maker. The chain is too small to simply lift over the mite's bulbous head, but a simple clasp in back allows it to be pulled free.

The Mitey King seems to shudder as the change begins. Rapidly, almost too fast for the eye to take in, he grows a few inches and his head shrinks down to more normal proportions. Ears and eyes recede as black hair sprouts from his head. Blue skin lightens to a healthy pale tan. And just like that, where there was once a Mitey King now stands a normal human boy, of about 12 years. His features are alike enough to Marcaeus to leave no doubt that this must be his son!

He glances about in confusion and rising panic. "Wh...where am I? What happened? My father... he was thrown from Stybba... Oh father, where are you?" His voice starts to become dangerously loud and shrill in the cramped passage.

"Shush boy! Your father lives, and he paid us to rescue you. Now move quick! We've yet to make good our escape, so keep your voice down." Archibald's voice is harsh as he reprimands the boy. It seems to have the desired effect though; Lucente stops his questions and stands silent, though looking as if about to cry. Archibald checks himself, and his next words are softer. "Now now, there's a brave lad. You are safe enough with us. If you cannot walk you will be carried, and you'll be back with your father before you know it."

With Aaron taking point, the party resumes it's escape.

The chamber they find themselves in was most likely the former King's room. The furnishings are built for simple comforts and are surprisingly clean. All in all, the room looks more befitting a country cottage than a damp mite-hole. Against one wall is a bookcase with more clay pots than books, next to a short chest of drawers. Also there is a short writing-desk, complete with quill, ink, and a large red book open to a half-written page. Opposite is a short but sturdy bed and night-stand.

In the center of the room is a contraption resembling a canary-cage on a stand, made entirely of wood and wicker. Also, instead of a canary, it contains a fist-sized spider.

The path runs through the room and exits the far side, sloping gently upwards.

There are about a dozen clay pots, some stopped with wood, others open. The open ones contain things like water, dried fruits, and honey. The seals on the others are not very tight. These contain things best kept dry: tobacco, tea leaves, and other fragrant herbs.

There are four mixmatched books on the shelf as well. They have hand-written titles, gone bleary with age and damp. The seem to be a series of memoirs written by the former King, dated back some sixty years ago.

The chest of drawers contain a number of knicknacks (curious stones, polished bits of wood, and the like). Another drawer has a neat arrangement of scrolls. Examining one shows it to be a map written with careful detail of an area near Brindenford. Notable things such as springs, fruit groves, and monster dens are marked and dated. The final drawer contains clothing.

The red book seems to be the latest in a series of memoirs of the Mitey King. This book is fairly new and only lightly stained with dampness. The desk-drawer contains a smoking pipe and a small tobacco pouch.

Continuing on, the path runs north another twenty feet or so before coming to a fork. Picking up the fork, you see one path running east, and another west. Both paths are equally dark.

Fresh air seems to be flowing from the eastern passage. A faint smell of rot is coming from the west.

The air quickly goes stale as you proceed west. Rot hangs heavy in the air. Presently you come to two small chambers. Both hold stone slabs, and upon both are corpses.

The righhand corpse is perhaps a few days old, and beginning to rot. It is obviously the remains of an elderly halfling.

The lefthand corpse is little but bones and rags. It was one of the Little Folk, that much is certain. About it is piled the remains of books, long turned to mold by rot and time. One pile is strangely unsullied: five neatly bound blue volumes. They are unlabeled.

Opening these reveal them to be a combination of diary, research notes, and spellbook of sorts all in a confusing mess of sketches, arrows, and one-line notes.

This path curves southwards after about 30 feet, and opens into a chamber similar to the King's. Well, at least in size anyways; the similarities end there. Apart from a narrow path through the center, the entire space is taken up by piles of... stuff. In a very mitey fashion, it seems Karmalda has collected a very large assortment of semi-magical things in her chambers; crude totems, partially-completed wands, pots of foul substances, and the dried remains of many a forest creature hanging here and there. Tiny vermin nest here as well, scattering just beyond the intruding light. The path exits out the far end of the cavern. On the wall next to the exit hangs, from a leather cord, a small wooden whistle.

Even if in a hurry, it is possible to grab one or more possibly useful things on the way by. What they are will be determined at random at a later date.
The only other thing of interest in the mess is a small wooden chest (medium-sized by mite standards) held shut with a long knotted length of silken rope.

A short way out of the chamber, the path twists up sharply. The occasional worked stone step peeking out of the mud betrays this as a ruined spiral staircase. The way grows even more close and cramped as it climbs, choked with roots and soil.

Finally the party arrives at a landing of sorts, too small for everyone. The only way forwards is through a small hole among tangled roots and vines; a small person would have only a small trouble, but it will be a tight squeeze for most of the party. But, beyond the twisted roots, there gleams moonlight...

You see the silhouette of... something, against the moon before you. Motionless as stone save for small, twitching antennae, some large vermin scans the forest for prey. Razor sharp forearms are poised to strike. It is, however, facing the wrong way, as if guarding this hole. It will not remain unaware of you for long...

Farmerbink
2016-12-24, 06:37 PM
Hopton looks into the room with an expression mixing intrigue and urgency. "Lots of interesting stuff in here, but I'm not sure we've got the time to really poke around too much. Say what you will, I have a hard time trusting Karmalda to remember his promises. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do."

He fidgets a bit uncomfortably as his allies enter the room and look about.

Regardless of whether or not others want to take the time to look around and potentially loot the place, Hopton is more concerned with solving the most immediate issue of saving Lucente.

Regardless, after everyone has satisfied their curiosity or not, Hopton will take the lead onward. Out-of-character, Hopton aced the perception check.

As the party approaches the forked pathway, Hopton slows his eager pace. He scowls, looking down both paths and trying to figure out which path is best. After a few moments, his eyebrows furrow and he sniffs a few times. His right hand goes up, pointing in that direction. "Smells fresh that way- and very much not, the other. Seems thus us the way out. Do we really need to go look the other way?"

Hopton will begrudgingly join his allies if they encourage going to the left, but would rather not.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-24, 10:11 PM
Aaron nods at Hopton's words, silently blowing through the room to the fork in the tunnel without slowing. At the fork he waits for Hopton's statement and nods, moving purposefully in that direction too. In Karmalda's room he continues to move quickly through, quietly urging the others to keep moving. "If we hope for a peaceful future between the mites and the village, we should not steal from them as we leave," he mutters. As the tunnel ends at the landing and the too-small-to-be-comfortable path he stops short. "Well, now what? Most of us risk blocking the passage if we go here - Hopton, would you go first and help guide the boy? I will follow directly behind him..."

BilltheCynic
2016-12-26, 12:31 AM
Licht glances around Karmalda's room, consciously keeping his hands close to him. "Yes, uh, stealing probably wouldn't help our, well, rather tenuous relations with the mites right now." On seeing the landing and the small passage he looks down at his hulking form. "Oh. That's our way out. I, uh, don't know if I could fit through there like this. I'll go ahead and revert back to normal now. I'll probably have to do it anyway to squeeze through, and if any mites show up I'd, uh, rather not have to explain why the big bad devil turned into the rather scrawny tiefling."

Licht closes his smoldering eyes and chants, "వెండి నాలుకను డెవిల్స్ అండ్ హోటళ్ళు రాక్షసులు వచ్చినప్పుడు, డాన్ పుష్పం విధేయతతో మార్గనిర్దేశం మరియు మీరు కవచం ఉంటుంది తెలుసు. ఎల్లప్పుడూ."*

At the completion of the chant, he breathes in sharply his form begins to change. His charcoal hide crumbles into dust from his body. His claws and mouth shrink to normal proportions, and the muscles seem to rapidly atrophy as the devil departs and the tiefling reemerges. Licht lets out the held breath slowly, peacefully. "That's better. Ok, um, I guess I should probably go up after Aaron. If bad guys show up either down here or up there, I can summon a bit of help on either side. Just call, and I'll send a combatant. Uh, I should warn though, aside from calling helpers I'm, well, not very good at combat now. Just fair warning."

"And when silver tongue devils and raging demons come, know that the dawn flower will faithfully guide and shield you. Always."
Dismissing my eidolon as a standard action, then readying an action: if anyone up top calls for help up top or creatures show up below that are threatening immediate violence, summoning a fiendish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/fiendish) eagle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle) as close to the hostile as possible. The eagle will immediately move to the hostile and attack, or full attack if it is summoned close enough to do so.

Farmerbink
2016-12-27, 11:40 AM
Clustered on and beneath the landing, Hopton looks around at the coterie of larger individuals. He looks back to the hole, easily of sufficient size to allow the small man to pass through. "I guess that's my queue, eh? Lucente, wait here for now- I'll call back if it's safe to come up."

Sheathing his blade, Hopton lowers to his hands and knees to crawl forward into the gap. Cautiously, he places one hand in front of another, making as much use of roots as floor for pulling himself through.

[roll0] perception
[roll1] stealth

I suspect those rolls will be more than sufficient to get me the time to draw a rapier and then take a surprise round action. If my impression is mistaken, drawing the rapier is obviously more important than trying to punch the thing while it's flat-footed. I'll roll the hopeful attack in OOC in a moment.

Not even a hissed breath marks Hopton's discovery of the vermin. Clearly unnoticed, he awkwardly rises to a crouch, unsure precisely how best to proceed. Decidedly nonplussed with the idea of turning his back to the vermin, Hopton slowly draws his rapier from its sheathe. He slowly exhales and inhales, before lunging forward and calling back to his friends in the same breath. "Vermin here! Help, please!!"

AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, CMD 13, Fort 2, Ref 7, Will 1, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 1
rapier +7 (1d4-1, 18-20, x2)
alchemical +6 (-, -)
Condition None

Harhoult
2016-12-27, 01:01 PM
Round 1

Archibald hears Hopton's cry and springs forwards as if expecting it. As he dives through the choked tunnel, one can almost hear his grumbling reply: "I knew this was too easy. Who would leave a back door ungua... Good gods, that's a big one!"

Takes a full-round action to pass through the hole and step aside

The mantis, for it's part, seems quite taken aback at the sudden onslaught. It lashes ineffectively at the small beings assailing it, and lets out a clicking hiss as a sting pierces it's shell.

BilltheCynic
2016-12-27, 06:07 PM
Before Hopton went through the hole, Licht closed his and mentally said to Mudoru, "I might need the help of some of your friends."

The devil snorted. I still can't access some of my best contacts, but I'll see what i can do."

Licht stood facing the exit, trusting Quinn to alert them if any problems came from behind and ready to send assistance if Hopton needs it. With Mudoru's help he felt as if he were grasping some psychic strand, extending infinitely far away yet close at the same time. When Hoptons called out, Licht yanked on the strand, sending a call and pulls to a fiendish eagle from beyond the plains. A burst of acrid smoke with the smell of sulfur appeared next to the mantis, and from it came an unearthly screech as two great wings rose from the sides. The eagle lashed out with a claw, but still disoriented from its summons it was off balance, and the strike glanced off of the mantis. The eagle was not deterred, flapping furiously and lashing out again at the mantis. For his part, Licht grasped at another psychic strand, ready to summon another eagle should this one fall.

I'm guessing that 8 didn't hit the mantis.

The fiendish eagle will full attack the mantis:
Bite
Attack: [roll0] Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] Crit Damage: [roll3]

Talon 1
Attack: [roll4] Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] Crit Damage: [roll7]

Talon 2
Attack: [roll8] Crit Confirm: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10] Crit Damage: [roll11]

Licht will ready an action to summon another fiendish eagle if the first one falls, and the second will promptly full attack the mantis. If the first eagle falls before it can take it's full attack, the second will use the above rolls for time saving purposes. Licht has 7/8 uses of Summon Monster I left for today.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-27, 08:58 PM
Flail +4 (1d8+4, 20/x2)
At the sound of combat Aaron dives into the hole, wriggling frantically to get through the tight squeeze.

"Hang on, Hopton!"
Double Move to get as far through the tunnel as he can go...

Harhoult
2016-12-28, 07:58 PM
Round 2

Archibald eyes the oversize insect critically as it is harassed, above and below, by pint-sized assailants. The beast was fairing poorly it seemed, batting confusedly at the air with those enormous claws.

"Well then. Let's see how it likes this!" He sneers suddenly, the indignate pride of his family welling up within him. A practiced gesture conjures forth a flame from his palm. "Valignatir Cha'sidic!" he shouts, and the flame arcs outwards, narrowly missing Hopton, but engulfing both the summoned eagle and the mantis.

The flames roar by the eagle, leaving the fiendish creature unscathed. The mantis, however, rears back in pain as the flame sears a thousand sensitive hairs and cooks exposed flesh.

The mantis gives out another horrible clicking hiss, and stabs the air with renewed urgency. For an instant, those embattled see the eagle speared clean through before it dissolves into sulfuric mist.

The mantis reflexively brings it's claw back and bites at empty air where it's prey should be. Any confusion in it's primitive mind is short-lived; instead it turns it's attention to the other little thing with the sharp sting. It skitters back with surprising grace to better face it's diminutive foes dispute the openings this gives. Now facing the intruders, it folds it's claws in ready anticipation to spring...

With another poof of foul mist, yet another eagle joins the fray and swipes a claw at the mantis, screaming a challenge.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that the mantis has backed up to a particularly large tree, if anyone is interested.

BilltheCynic
2016-12-28, 10:53 PM
Licht feels a snap as the first eagle if slashed back into the lower planes. He wastes no time calling up a second eagle, and grasps another strand, preparing to summon a third.

Licht takes his readied action to summon a 2nd eagle, which promptly attacks then makes an AoO when the mantis moves away. Licht now has 6/8 uses of SMI left for today. On round 3, assuming the mantis is still alive, he will again ready an action to summon a 3rd eagle if the 2nd is destroyed.

2nd eagle full attack:
Bite

Talon 1
Attack: [roll4] Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] Crit Damage: [roll7]

Talon 2
Attack: [roll8] Crit Confirm: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10] Crit Damage: [roll11]

EDIT: Rolls screwed up somehow, rerolled them here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21540449&postcount=55).

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-30, 06:25 PM
Flail +4 (1d8+4, 20/x2)
Aaron continues to struggle and squeeze through the narrow tunnel, doing his best to get to the fight...

Move to get as far through the tunnel as he can go...

Farmerbink
2016-12-31, 09:54 AM
"Take that, ya big ol' jerk!" Hopton punctuates the mantis' escape with a lunging jab and another jibe. His rapier bites chitinous flesh once more, before the inhumanely large and fast insect skitters away.

Without wasting a heartbeat, Hopton dives forward, somersaulting between the vermin's keen claws to reengage. "Oh, no ya don't! C'mere!"

rapier +7 (1d4-1, 18-20, x2)
alchemical +6 (-, -)
Condition Panache: 3/4

Move forward at half speed with acrobatics. If the following result is less than 14, I'll use panache to improve the check:
[roll0] acrobatics to avoid AoO (vs CMD)
[roll1] derring do (first die, add additional dice if the result is a nat 6)

Attack the thing (defensively)
[roll2] rapier
[roll3] CC (21+)
[roll4] dmg
[roll5] CB

If the thing attacks Hopton's AC of 21 and misses, I'll use another panache to do underfoot assault again.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-12-31, 10:30 AM
Exiting the tunnel Aaron draws his longword and slashes at the massive vermin with a wordless cry!

Harhoult
2016-12-31, 01:09 PM
Round 3

As the mantis retreats, Archibald gives serious consideration to launching another gout of flame at it for good measure; though he grudgingly decides his allies would take offense to being caught in the blast. He settles for preparing his crossbow. If it was trying to take refuge in the trees, he would need the range anyways.

The many small wounds have begun to add up, and the mantis seems unwilling to stand and fight. As it's back legs settle on the massive tree trunk behind, it begins to scale it backwards as easily as walking on flat ground.

It seems more comfortable from this new perch, and seems ready to defend it's vantage. Dripping fluids and it's almost halfhearted swat at the eagle betray it's weakness.

BilltheCynic
2017-01-01, 06:59 PM
Licht keeps a grasp on another summon, ready to bring it in should this eagle fall too. The second eagle immediately charges the retreating mantis, which reflexively stabs at its pursuer. The eagle just barely avoids getting skewered, but the mantis' claw still leaves a grievous wound on it. The eagle screeches in pain and fury, and responds by lashing at the mantis.

The eagle charges the mantis with its beak, triggering the mantis' AoO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21542525&postcount=59) but somehow surviving. It then makes a charge attack with its beak.

I accidentally clicked "submit" too early, so I'll post the rolls in the OOC here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21551374&postcount=69).

DarkOne-Rob
2017-01-04, 09:46 PM
Aaron looks at the vermin in the tree and huffs in annoyance. He keeps his weapon at the ready and guards the exit as the others try to bring Lucente through the tunnel.

Ready action to attack any hostile enemy that threatens those going through the tunnel. MW Longsword [roll0] attack, [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

BilltheCynic
2017-01-05, 03:51 AM
Licht breathes a small sigh when the mantis retreats up the tree. It might still put up a good fight, but it seemed on the defensive now and not likely to pursue Lucente. He slaps his forehead when he remembers the boy. "Oh right, Lucente. Um, I assume you're Lucente anyway. We need to get you back to your father just in case any mites, uh, don't take kindly to you leaving. There's a rather large bug outside, but it's hurt and retreating, and I'm pretty sure it won't pursue, assuming it survives that long, of course. Anyway, would you mind making your way through the exit now? Aaron, the warrior speaking in tongues, should protect you on that side while Quinn and I protect from any rear attacks and Hopton and Archie finish the bug. But, uh, would you mind moving quickly? Best to be out of here sooner than later, at least in my humble opinion."

While Licht makes his stammering and long winded request, the eagle throws itself at the mantis with a vengeance, screaming another challenge at the monstrous vermin.

If I'm correct, on round 2 the mantis started retreating, and on round 3 first the eagle charged the mantis, then the mantis finished scaling the tree, so the eagle is not adjascent to the mantis and cannot take a full attack. Also, since the mantis didn't attack on Round 3 and used relatively little movement, I will assume it took the withdraw action to avoid provoking an AoO. I think this movement also puts the mantis out of the 25 ft range of SMI, so future eagles can't be summoned right on top of it. Right, just needed to clarify that for myself.

For actions, Licht will ready an action to use SMI to summon a 3rd eagle should the 2nd eagle fall. The 2nd eagle will charge the mantis. If it survive the mantis' AoO, it will make a charge attack. If the mantis kills it first, a 3rd eagle will be summoned and immediately charge the mantis. Same rolls will be applied to either occasion for simplicity and since they have the same modifiers. Licht currently has 6/8 uses of SMI left today.

Charge Attack

Farmerbink
2017-01-05, 09:33 AM
Hopton looks up into the tree, his expression a mixture of satisfaction and annoyance. "I'm pretty sure this thing won't be giving any chase, but I don't know that we'll be finishing it off anytime soon!" He waves his rapier at the vermin, allowing the faint moonlight to flicker of the blade threateningly.

"I figure if we're careful, we can head back to town and leave this thing making believe it's a bird!"

If Hopton gets a chance, he'll attack the mantis:
[roll0] rapier
[roll1] CC (25+, x2)
[roll2] dmg
[roll3] crit bonus

If not, he'll stay between Lucente and the mantis, hopefully guarding an effective retreat.

Harhoult
2017-01-05, 02:04 PM
The twang of a crossbow sends a bolt at the retreating mantis. The unnervingly agile beast dodges dispite it's awkward perch. It seems more confident now that it has achieved the high ground, and neatly swats both the injured eagle and it's hastily summoned twin out of the air. Without prey in range, it folds it's massive claws beneath it and stares at the light glinting off Hopton's blade, swaying gently as if following it's motion.

Lucente glances at Licht and Quinn, then at the hole to freedom. "Th... thank you!" he stammers, a warm sincerity in his voice. He ducks through the hole to freedom, followed shortly by Quinn.

Farmerbink
2017-01-06, 10:16 AM
Hopton calls back over his shoulder, as he hears Lucente's voice. "There will be time for thanks later! Licht, get him out of here!"

Harhoult
2017-01-06, 01:42 PM
Round 5

"Yes, we are far outstaying our welcome. I will be right behind you. First, however..."

Archibald sneers at the mantis. "Hold still you thrice-cursed vermin!" He looses another bolt, seemingly intent on finishing the creature off if possible.

Archie only post for now, taking a shot and reloading after:
fires crossbow: [roll0], [roll1] piercing; cc: [roll2], [roll3]

BilltheCynic
2017-01-06, 02:19 PM
"Coming!" shouts Licht. He starts to squeeze through the hole, wincing at the roots and rocks catching him as he does so. "Just, uh, ach, give me a moment...ugh!"

Licht finally wriggles out to the surface. He brushes himself off and glances around. "Ok. Ok, I'm out. Should we, uh, should we get going now?"

Full round action to wriggle through the hole.

Harhoult
2017-01-06, 06:39 PM
The mantis twitches as a poorly aimed bolt whizzes past. With a clicking rasp, it spreads massive wings, veins glistening in the moonlight. For an instant it looks as if some massive primordial predator has reared up in the gloom as the eye-spots on the wings appear to blink and shift from prey to prey. The message is clear: Go Away!

Lucente gasps at this display and shrinks against a tree in fear, glancing about for a way to run. If it wasn't for the rescuers on either side, he probably would have bolted.

Unless we insist on combat, the mantis will stay up the tree and out of melee; it kinda sounded like folks wanted to leave well enough alone. As you might guess, while wounded, it does have some fight left in it if pressed...

DarkOne-Rob
2017-01-06, 11:08 PM
Aaron looks at everyone with a look that makes it clear he understands nothing of what is being said. As Lucente exits the tunnel he firmly grabs the boy by the shoulders and rushes him outside the reach of the mantis and begins rushing him towards the village.

Farmerbink
2017-01-06, 11:50 PM
Hopton's eyes widen comically at the enormous and unmistakable display. Almost frozen in awe, he begins slowly backing away, and lowers (but does not sheathe) his thin blade. As the rest of the party makes their escape from the tunnels and Lucente is hustled towards the road, he lets out a long sigh.

"Kind of incredible, isn't it? It's really kind of a beautiful creature; if it weren't for all the clicking and stabbing- oh, and being a gajillion feet tall- it might be really fun to look at!" For several minutes, Hopton checks over his shoulder every step and a half, almost unwilling to believe that they're getting away that easily.

BilltheCynic
2017-01-07, 04:16 AM
Licht sharply inhales at the sight and almost bolts for cover at the display.

"No!" says Mudoru. "Running shows weakness. It may be badly wounded, but it is still a predator that will pounce at fearful prey. It doesn't want to fight right now; it's trying to scare you away, but if given an opening it will press the advantage. Back away slowly, ready to summon help if needed, until out of its sight."

Licht grinds his teeth. Why must his mentor be a devil? And why must it give decent advice so often? Licht does slowly back away with the others, but he consciously does not ready another extraplanar ally. He feels Mudoru's exasperation but ignores the fiend.

Licht glances at Hopton. "Uh, yeah. That's why I, uh, prefer to admire the ones that can safely fit in the palm of my hand. Fortunately, there seems to be a couple more of the smaller ones than the big ones."

Harhoult
2017-01-08, 08:25 PM
The night air is a welcome change to the dankness of the mite's lair, especially with their guardian left safely behind. And while the ruins seem quiet as the party passes by, one cannot shale the feeling of being watched...

Lucente, for his part, seems a bit dazed yet from his ordeal. It is not until the party returns to the road that he perks up a bit. He glances about at the overturned cart and bloodstains with a shudder. "I tried to fight them off, I did. There where so many! I know I hit a few, but my sword would just glance off them somehow. Ah!" He suddenly cries out as one who suddenly remembers, "That's right, they tossed my sword away. I hope I can find it later, it was a gift from Father... But I know, getting back to him is more important right now. He's just dying of worry no doubt." The boy sets off at a jog, quickly regaining his energy as only a boy can.

When the group finally returns to the village it is quite late; midnight has past and the village is sleeping. Lucente cannot contain himself when the Lost Shepard comes into view and burst into a run, calling out "Dad! Dad!" as he runs. A figure, hidden in the shadow by the door, stands up into the light and falls forwards with a cry. The two collide in embrace and shared tears of relief that their nightmare is over. Marcaeus' eyes as they meet the party are filled with gratitude for their heroic deed.

"What's this...oh." Judello has come to the door, and falls silent at the scene. "Well, I'll be... Come inside, all of you! And Marcaeus..." he trails off, the father and son clearly deaf to the world at the moment. "In a moment, then. Stay off that leg you hear, you've got a crutch for a reason."

"As for you folks," Judello continues as the party comes inside, "I insist, nay, demand you tell me everything. It's quite the thing you've done, and everyone's gonna want to hear about it. While Delvers are a copper a dozen, those willing to stick their necks out for us local folk are worth at least a silver. Though I suppose the lot of you are ready to turn in. Full day on the Hill, then this mess. Well, you know where to find me in the morning. Marcaeus will want a word with you no doubt, and he's not going anywhere fast. Ah yes, almost forgot... the sister said he's broke his leg, tore it up something bad. He's not fit for travel for at least a few months, but knowing him, he'll get antsy and buy a restorative before the weeks out, cost be damned."

"Hear me run on! Well, do as you will. As always, ring and someone'll answer!"

After the excitable halfling has left the party in peace, Archibald addresses the party with a yawn. "I for one will take up his offer. So much for an early start tomorrow. May as well sleep in... we will just be badgered by locals the moment we show our faces anyhow."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day...

As expected, far more than the usual morning crowd had gathered at the Lost Shepard. Judello certainly doesn't mind, and he flashes the party a grin before returning the business of food and drink.

Marcaeus and Lucente are seated at a table, surrounded by folks hearing a retelling of last night's events. From the sounds of it Lucente must be on his umpteenth version, eagerly spinning a somewhat accurate tale. They are joined at the table by a familiar face: Sheriff Mansan. He sips something steaming and listens to the boy bemusedly.

The crowd cheers as the group makes an appearance. Over many a slap on the back and offer for drink rises Marcaeus' voice: "Heroes! Come! Sit! Let me thank you properly!"

The man thanks the party with many words and promises, tearing up anew with gratitude. He offers a small purse of gold, saying somewhat abashedly, "A bit lighter than is proper, and a good bit less than you deserve. Some went to the temple, for their services, and the rest is for yours. You needn't worry about me! My credit is good here, and we'll be fine until I can get to trading again. If there is anything, anything at all, I can help you with you need only say it!"

"I too wish to congratulate you." Sheriff Mansan speaks up with a tone that jars the good mood. "Not many would have done what you did. But then, those seeking the Delve are a reckless bunch. It is all the better this story has a good ending, this time. Before you head out, tell us of your adventure. I for one am very interested..."

Many others call for a tale, and it would be very hard to refuse them. As the adventure is retold, the Sheriff interrupts at odd moments with rather pointed questions such as the size and layout of the caves, the number of vermin and "goblins", and other such tactical things.

All in all the group is hailed as heroes, and rightly so. Tales of those risking much for others are in short supply, and are the sweeter for the rarity.