PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Pleasures...

Kekken
2007-07-14, 09:39 AM
Okay people, confession time, with Father Kekken.

Now, we all have our guilty little pleasures when it comes to favourite movies, songs and other forms of entertainment. You all know of what I speak. The movies you watch by yourself, or the songs you listen to in your head, but never let your friends know, for fear of ridicule.

Well, confession, my children, is good for the soul, and so, here, on this thread, with no fear of ridicule, I would like us all to be able to bear our innermost guilty pleasures.

I'll start things rolling, with a confession of having a definite soft spot for Broadway musicals... especially Andrew Lloyd Weber ones (Jesus Christ: Superstar being my favourite, with the Phantom coming in a close second).

I also have a very secret love of that all time protest song, "Midnight Special". If I had a dollar for the number of times that tune just pops into my head... Well, okay, I probably wouldn't exactly be rich, but I could probably get a meal at a nice restaurant or something...

Okay, your turn...

squidthingy
2007-07-14, 09:46 AM
Without a gender icon, you could very well be mother Kekkon, and for and you may want to have a little more experience in the playground before refering to others as "children", I mean at least 10 posts.

JK, srry newbie I am not having a very good day srry to give you the brunt of it my step-siblings will feel my wrath soon enough

Kekken
2007-07-14, 09:57 AM
Without a gender icon, you could very well be mother Kekkon, and for and you may want to have a little more experience in the playground before refering to others as "children", I mean at least 10 posts.

JK, srry newbie I am not having a very good day srry to give you the brunt of it my step-siblings will feel my wrath soon enough

:smallsigh: the "Father Kekken" part was supposed to be a bit of a riff on the whole Catholic confession thing...

Apology accepted...

The Demented One
2007-07-14, 10:36 AM
When it comes to music, I have probably too much of a liking for a couple power metal bands and for...Cascada.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-07-14, 10:47 AM
I know how you feel man, Cascada's up there with me too.

That's about all I can think of.

MMM-BOP, BOP BOP BOP MMM-BOP...hanson.

Arang
2007-07-14, 02:50 PM
Everything by Hayao Miyazaki I have ever seen. Never told anyone.

Also, I've never claimed a taste in music because I like just about everything. Rather than universal acceptance, I'm pretty much sure I'd be shunned by everyone for it.

Kraggi
2007-07-14, 03:06 PM
I enjoy the beach boys way too much for my own good...

dehro
2007-07-14, 05:28 PM
grease...
I mean....who doesn't know all the songs by heart..also the dumb ones like sandy beautyschool dropout..??:smallredface: :smallredface:
anybody?

and yes...Jesus Christ Superstar... I still giggle everytime with herod's song..
walk across my swimming pool... hillarious..:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Cryopyre
2007-07-14, 05:34 PM
Arctic Monkeys I guess, nobody around here seems to like them, mention it for dangerous ridicule. But I just can't seem to get their songs out of my head

"I bet that you look good on the dancefloor..."

Dr._Weird
2007-07-14, 05:37 PM

You haven't even been here that long, I don't think you have any reason to be saying that or calling people "newbie". There are more important things than post count when determining newbie status.

Megalomaniac2
2007-07-14, 05:43 PM
I love Space Jam. Not unreservedly, but enough to doom me to one of the nastier levels of pop-cultural hell.

JellyPooga
2007-07-14, 05:45 PM
I have no guilty pleasures...I freely admit that I like cheesy music (including Country, 80's pop and Glam Rock), cheesy 80's films (including many of the girly persuasion and some that I cry at) and all manner of geekery (RP-ing, Wargaming, Computer Gaming, Miniature Painting and CCG's...I do draw the line at LARP though...).

Green Bean
2007-07-14, 05:47 PM
I have a secret taste for the Chicago movie score. I stashed the Shrek 2 version of 'I Need a Hero' in a hidden folder on my mp3 player. I downloaded the Sephiroth theme song, and listen to it sometimes, even though I've never played a game, or seen a movie that he's in. I follow Avatar: The Last Airbender religiously. I own all of the Pokemon games. I have a picture of Snoopy on my wall. Despite my preference for more intelligent novels, I still own, and read several books by Tom Clancy. Also, the movie O Brother Where Art Thou gave me a bit of a taste for bluegrass, but that isn't really private.

I think that just about covers it. :smallbiggrin:

Rob Knotts
2007-07-14, 06:17 PM
Music: Journey. I just don't have the same kind of automatic cynicsm about power ballads from before the mid-80s hair-metal era. Oddly enough, a lot of my friends are starting to admit they liked them as well.

Movies: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Honestly. The comic is the one Moore creation I didn't like, and I didn't feel any need to compare it to movie at all. Mina Harker was a great combination of a reserved, cultured, independent victorian woman and an over-the-top, almost anime-styled vampire. Jeckle & Hyde handled the Hulk better the Hulk movie around the same time. Stuart Townsend was in top form typecast as another gothic aristocrat. And Nemo was just cool, aircraft-carrier sized submarine and all! If it hadn't been for Connery phoning in his part and the ridiculously illogical Moriarty character, I wouldn't even call it a guilty pleasure:smalltongue:

Movies: I've never had the chance to read From Hell, and I've been told there were major changes, but Johnny Depp's perfomance was as engaging as ever. Still have to call it a guilty pleasure though, Heather Graham's character had the most ridiculously idealistic life as a prostitue since Pretty Woman.

TV: Jackie Chan Adventures. I'm a fan of Jackie Chan, and I'm a fan of Jeff Matsuda. Sure it's got the adventure-girl / larger-than-life-uncle schtick from Inspector Gadget, but I was a fan of that show too:smallbiggrin:

TV: I probably have the first 10-12 years of Law & Order memorized:smallfrown:

TV: Morgan Webb

Online: Anime Music Videos (AMV), especialy on YouTube. Sure half of them combine Rob Zombie & Hellsing, but once in a while somebody actually puts some real work and imagination into editing anime to some great songs. Lately AMVs have even become my main exposure to both new anime and new music.

dehro
2007-07-14, 06:36 PM
Movies: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Honestly. The comic is the one Moore creation I didn't like, and I didn't feel any need to compare it to movie at all. Mina Harker was a great combination of a reserved, cultured, independent victorian woman and an over-the-top, almost anime-styled vampire. Jeckle & Hyde handled the Hulk better the Hulk movie around the same time. Stuart Townsend was in top form typecast as another gothic aristocrat. And Nemo was just cool, aircraft-carrier sized submarine and all! If it hadn't been for Connery phoning in his part and the ridiculously illogical Moriarty character, I wouldn't even call it a guilty pleasure:smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin: I saw an interview with connery where he proudly stated that he had wanted so much to be in this movie that he renounced the part of gandalf (or whas it saruman?) in LOTR... a brilliant carreer move if I ever saw one... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Kekken
2007-07-14, 09:26 PM
Recently saw Happy Feet on DVD, and I must confess I loved it...

Tom_Violence
2007-07-14, 09:31 PM
Calvin Harris.

Wait, I'm not guilty! The guy rocks!

I get all the girls, I get all the girls!

etc.

Gaelbert
2007-07-14, 09:39 PM
I own all of the Pokemon games. I have a picture of Snoopy on my wall. Despite my preference for more intelligent novels, I still own, and read several books by Tom Clancy.

QFT. Snoopy is my hero.:smallbiggrin:

Green Bean
2007-07-15, 02:52 AM
QFT. Snoopy is my hero.:smallbiggrin:

Agreed. In my picture, he's on rollerskates! :smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-15, 04:01 AM
Music: So I took a stroll through my iTunes library to see if I had any guilty pleasures.. This is what #-D looks like..

A Perfect Circle
Bob Dylan
Cascada
Dido
Disturbed.

Those are my guilty pleasures.

Movies: I love The Brave Little Toaster. I said it, and I don't care who sees it.

TV: Someone said it earlier, but.. Morgan 'Manjaw' Webb.

Music: Another one I found while looking for anything I'd be ashamed of to admit to my friends in public.. Tim McGraw. Namely, Live Like You Were Dying.

Online: I like using way too much underlining, bolding, and italics.

Serpentine
2007-07-15, 04:11 AM
Music: I own an Aqua and a Spicegirls CD, and though I haven't listened to either for ages, that's not to say I never will.
Books: Animorphs. I own almost every single one, including the... extras. I refuse to get those stupid "Alternamorphs", though - ghostwriters are one thing, but she didn't even come up with that idea! Also Tamora Pierce, but there's only guilt there cuz I'm probably really too old for them.
Internet: The Wulf Archives. If you know it, you'll know why it's guilty. If you don't know it, and are under... I dunno, some good old age, don't look it up.
TV: I still watch kids' shows. Or would, if I remembered to wade through all the crap they show nowadays to find the good stuff... Also I was very sad when they took away Avatar :smallfrown: I look forward to it coming back.
Film: I once recommended the Scooby Doo Movie to someone :smallredface: Other than that, I am proud of my low standards! ^_^
Stage: I didn't even know I had to be ashamed of my love for The Phantom of the Opera and Jesus Christ Superstars... I saw the former when I was little, and we had/have (somewhere) the albums for both, and I'd love to see them performed again.

SDF
2007-07-15, 04:53 AM
Gee this is hard for me because I'm pretty good at fessing up to all the horrible things I like...

I like a lot of 'kiddie' things I guess... Like Kiki's Delivery Service. That movie is awesome... but uh... not a lot I wouldn't fess up to.

s.donahue
2007-07-15, 11:14 AM
Red Dawn.

That's my worst guilty pleasure. I love the movie Red Dawn. It has a bunch of bad 80's actors fighting communist Russians and Cubans in the mid-west. I shout "Wolverines," randomly at the end of movies to see if anyone else has seen the movie (usually I get a few laughs and a return cry or two).

If you haven't seen it, watch it at least once.

Or are you a pinko communist spy?!

Lord of the Helms
2007-07-15, 11:17 AM
A lot of 80s action is wonderfully bad. Especially any Schwarzenegger movies, first and foremost Commando.

Also, I absolutely love both the A-Team and Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill movies.

Oh, and Postman. So unbelievably cheesy and bad that I just HAD to watch all of it :smalltongue:

Red Dawn.

That's my worst guilty pleasure. I love the movie Red Dawn. It has a bunch of bad 80's actors fighting communist Russians and Cubans in the mid-west. I shout "Wolverines," randomly at the end of movies to see if anyone else has seen the movie (usually I get a few laughs and a return cry or two).

If you haven't seen it, watch it at least once.

Or are you a pinko communist spy?!

Mmmh, propaganda movies. Most fun.

Hushdawg
2007-07-15, 11:52 AM
I enjoy watching old propoganda films and cartoons from the 1920s to 1950s that are considered racist today.

I think it is interesting to see where we have come from.

Sometimes I like to kick back with a non-alcoholic beer and listen to bluegrass..

and sometimes I like rubbing raspberry jam on on my belly while reading Better Homes and Gardens...

Rob Knotts
2007-07-15, 02:15 PM
Oh, and Postman. So unbelievably cheesy and bad that I just HAD to watch all of it :smalltongue:Yeah, but ya gotta admit, Tom Petty was almost perfect casting for his part:smallbiggrin:

2007-07-15, 02:31 PM
I watch girly movies like "Shall We Dance" and "Ever After" and "Shakespeare in Love"... and sometimes I cry at them...

I have a total and complete crush on Morgan Webb, like, you know those girls who'd see Elvis and scream and pass out? Like that.

And, eh, I dunno if this is really a guilty pleasure, but in pretty much every game I play, be it a videogame or an D&D game, I'll go out of my way to always save everyone I can or make all the 'good guy' choices. (Like, in Half-Life1, I'd reload the game if Barney got killed and save him)

Were-Sandwich
2007-07-15, 02:43 PM
Wuss. I used to just let him shoot all the enemies in the area, then kill him and take his stuff once his usefullness expired.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-15, 06:01 PM
I have no guilty pleasures. I'm proud of the crazy things I like.

I suppose others would consider the fact that I enjoy William Shatner's music to be awesome a guilty pleasure. ;D

FdL
2007-07-15, 06:10 PM
Arctic Monkeys I guess, nobody around here seems to like them, mention it for dangerous ridicule. But I just can't seem to get their songs out of my head

"I bet that you look good on the dancefloor..."

Sorry, you should feel no guilt because this song kicks major butt. I haven't listened to much apart from it, but this is definitely good. But I thought they were really hip...

Orzel
2007-07-15, 06:13 PM
I still like Power Rangers.

Athelis
2007-07-16, 09:25 PM
Ok, heres the ones that come to mind for me:
the band Elvenking
Howl's moving Castle (great movie)
Ok, most Anime, but that's mainly because I gotta go into defensive when I'm not around my close, other geeky friends and my dad hates it.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

Eladrinstar
2007-07-16, 11:18 PM
Morgan Webb, specifically on X-play, the game review show. She is funny and good looking.

Pensive Pine
2007-07-16, 11:38 PM
My guilty pleasure song is Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne (or however you spell her name). Whenever it's on the radio, I have to stop and listen to it.:smallredface:

valadil
2007-07-17, 11:40 AM
I'm 24 and I watch pro wrestling. Top that guilty pleasure!

Also, I listen to Rush and Oingo Boingo.

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-17, 01:00 PM
I actually like Christina Aguilera's latest work... Candyman rocks and makes me want to do all the fancy rock 'n roll dancemoves I haven't done for quite some time... no girls being near when I feel like doing so obviously helps to moderate such desires (you can't do those throws and spins on your own).

teehee...

Rob Knotts
2007-07-17, 01:18 PM
I'm 24 and I watch pro wrestling. Top that guilty pleasure!Two of the guys I game with, both watch pro wrestling, and one hopes his two sons will grow up to be fans of both pro wrestling and KISS.

Sisqui
2007-07-17, 08:36 PM
Movie: Dodge Ball

It has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. But I laugh every time I see it :smallredface:

MrsbwcMD
2007-07-17, 11:11 PM

Well, I'm 30, and I like to watch movies like "She's All That," "Ten Things I Hate About You," and "Clueless" whenever they come up while I'm channel surfing. Also, I occasionally switch on the local PBS channel to watch "Sesame Street" or "Mister Rogers Neighborhood," not only for my 11 month old son, but also for just plain nostalgia!

Oh, and....Wolverines!

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-17, 11:20 PM
Well, I'm 30, and I like to watch movies like "She's All That," "Ten Things I Hate About You," and "Clueless" whenever they come up while I'm channel surfing.

Unsurprisingly, these are actually movies geared toward your(and technically mine) demographic. The older, worldly viewer who can honestly say they've done things like that before.

Wolfgang
2007-07-18, 12:23 AM
I still listen to the Power Rangers theme song, and enjoy it in a non-ironic fashion.

Also, I check the internet at least a couple times every week for news about Avatar.

That's all I can think of now. God, I'm awesome.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-18, 01:24 AM
I've got an overdeveloped sense of guilt (which, itself, makes me feel guilty), so this is going to be a long post.

I'm REALLY obsessive-compulsive about video games. I always play through on the easiest difficulty first, going very slowly and reverting to my last save whenever something "goes wrong," such as when I use more ammo to kill a particular enemy than I had intended to, or when I take even a single pistol shot of damage from an enemy whom I wanted to try sneak up on and kill with a melee weapon. Splinter Cell is the worst; I can't stop myself from reverting to saved every single time I get seen.

I kind of liked Dragonball Z, even after it got ridiculous. I never saw many episodes, but I liked the ones I saw. Same with Yu Yu Hakusho, and lots of other bad anime. You snobs can keep your complicated sub-genres, beautiful art, and character development; I'm going to watch the weird-haired teenagers yell and blow each other up. Hey, at least I never liked Naruto...

I spend more time reading random articles on Wikipedia then can possibly be healthy. Trying to know all of the information in the world is a bad idea. Reading H.P. Lovecraft should have taught me that there are certain things that people really shouldn't try to learn.

I read novels based on video games. The Halo series wasn't bad, actually - worse than Stephen King, but better than Tom Clancy. Speaking of which, I really like Stephen King. I liked Tom Clancy until I was about 10, at which point I noticed that he was writing the same two books over and over, just with the heroes using different guns.

I don't really listen to music, but there are two kinds of music I like: metal and dance music. Even though I hate to dance. Ever listened to "Ace of Spades" and "The Milkshake Song" one after the other? It's an experience. And the fact that I think it's a good experience probably proves something's badly wrong with me.

Jerthanis
2007-07-18, 01:25 AM
I honestly like the music of Avril Lavigne and Gwen Stefani, (a modest percentage of their bodies of work) while NOT being a teenage girl.

I also write SCADS of fanfiction. A mark of when I become interested in something is when I start writing a fanfic about it. (I of course never manage to finish any fanfiction I've ever written...) I also read about 10 times as much fanfiction as published fiction... and I've even found 3 or so fanfics which were actually worth reading!

...in ten years!

I don't think I feel guilty about any of my other pleasures.

Were-Sandwich
2007-07-18, 10:08 AM
I own a Busted album.

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-18, 10:45 AM
Well, I'm 30, and I like to watch movies like "She's All That," "Ten Things I Hate About You," and "Clueless" whenever they come up while I'm channel surfing. Also, I occasionally switch on the local PBS channel to watch "Sesame Street" or "Mister Rogers Neighborhood," not only for my 11 month old son, but also for just plain nostalgia!

Oh, and....Wolverines!

Don't be ashamed for watching sesame street at your age, it's brilliant. Most of the puns and humor in between go past the mind of the kids but have their parents (and other adults watching) in a fit... Bert and Ernie are brilliant comedy most of the time... as is your hairy friend Grover (especially as a waiter). :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-07-18, 10:55 AM
Oh yes, one of my favourite books is the Little Golden Book The Monster at the End of this Book. It even has a sequel: Another Monster at the End of this Book! :smallbiggrin:

I find it interesting that people seem to be so hostile to Stephen King lately... I will proudly declare my enjoyment of all the King books I've read (though admittedly I'm a tad selective about what I do read), and at least found the ones I've listened to adequate entertainment for a long car trip.

Jibar
2007-07-18, 11:04 AM
My guilty pleasure song is Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne (or however you spell her name). Whenever it's on the radio, I have to stop and listen to it.:smallredface:

Hoooraaay!
:smallbiggrin:

I don't have any guilty pleasures, because I've just stopped caring about it. I sorta lost it when I gave up on gender.

Tengu
2007-07-18, 11:04 AM
And, eh, I dunno if this is really a guilty pleasure, but in pretty much every game I play, be it a videogame or an D&D game, I'll go out of my way to always save everyone I can or make all the 'good guy' choices. (Like, in Half-Life1, I'd reload the game if Barney got killed and save him)

It's not a guilty pleasure. It's being one of the few awesome people in a world where everyone thinks that being an evil SoB is hip.

My guilty pleasures? I used to like Dragonball and Diablo 2. I like Dark Tower by Stephen King, even though he made the ultimate Mary-Sue move by
Putting himself in the books as a crucial character.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-18, 11:06 AM

You're not the only one. *Grins.*

I miss the Rock...

ravenkith
2007-07-18, 11:22 AM
I have no shame.

That said...there's a lot of things listed here that I like....:smalleek:

I really like 80s movies. So bad, yet so good.

Oh and .... WOOOOOOOOLVERIIIIIIIIIINES!

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-18, 12:03 PM
I watch Spongebob Squarepants everyday.
I still enjoy Thundercats and their theme song.
And I still like Mary Poppins (supercalifrangilistic expialidocious)
Aladdin and many many other cartoon movies

Delaney Gale
2007-07-18, 12:29 PM
My dad has forever corrupted me with Disney! :smallbiggrin:

... my close friend would probably kill me if he found out that the Panic! At The Disco CD in my car is not my sister's like I claim it is, but rather mine... :smalleek:

Oeryn
2007-07-18, 12:45 PM
About once a year, I call in sick and watch Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, Hudson Hawk, and Big Trouble in Little China back-to-back-to-back.

Wolverines!!!

PaleAngel
2007-07-18, 03:51 PM
You're not the only one. *Grins.*

I miss the Rock...

Everyone misses the Rock. It freaks me out to see him these days now that he doesn't need to be bulky for the ring.

I guess my only "guilty pleasure" would be my obsession with terrible exploitation movies. Things like "Petey Wheatstraw: The Devil's Son-in-Law" or "Vampire Lesbians from the Moon" and I'm on it like white on rice. Oh yeah, and propaganda movies. I love that stuff.

Raroy
2007-07-18, 04:25 PM
Revolutionary Girl Utena- Sure its a deep and interesting series but the name its self is so embarrassing. It doesn't help that the first arc sucks and looks like a magic girl series but its gets so complex and symbolic and philosophical in the next arcs that people don't really get it. Nobody I know in real life likes it and thats just depressing. I wouldn't call it shojo, its more like something else. Watch it if you dare.

Valairn
2007-07-18, 04:42 PM
Honestly after I get done listening to Dream Theater, my guilty pleasure is Avril Lavigne. It shames me, my soul cries, but I MUST LISTEN. I MUST.

Serpentine
2007-07-18, 11:04 PM
And I still like Mary Poppins (supercalifrangilistic expialidocious)
I have my own copy somewhere... VHS, but anyway

Jibar
2007-07-19, 01:32 AM
Honestly after I get done listening to Dream Theater, my guilty pleasure is Avril Lavigne. It shames me, my soul cries, but I MUST LISTEN. I MUST.

Give in.
It is inevitable Mr. Anderson.
*Is so not listening to The Best Damn Thing right now*

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-07-19, 01:57 AM
Two words...Ice, and Cream.

XiaoTie
2007-07-21, 12:12 PM
I....I used to watch Friends (still watch reruns sometimes) :elan:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-07-21, 12:22 PM
I'm proud to admit it. I love 50s-80s music. Especially Glam Rock. I like the older films and cartoon films. I collect Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books. I love anime.

Talya
2007-07-21, 12:26 PM
"Shakespeare in Love"

So not a "chick flick." (Okay, I'm a chick, but still.) It's for shakespeare fans, not women specifically.

Now, am I the only one disappointed that this wasn't about Laurell Hamilton's first Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series?