PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Cultist custom base class PEACH

dboxcar
2016-11-21, 08:05 PM
http://s14.postimg.org/rcns2t8b5/Cultist.jpg

The Cultist

http://s11.postimg.org/kj87rromb/Cultist_Table.jpg
HD: d8

Alignment: Any non-good. Must either be neutral and worship an evil entity, be evil and worship a neutral entity that caters to evil petitioners, or be evil and worship an evil entity.

Skills: 6 + Int mod, ×4 at 1st level; a cultist’s skills are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Rope (Dex).

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A cultist is proficient with all simple weapons, the kukri, the sap, the flail, and the heavy flail, as well as light and medium armor (but not with shields).

Tainted: The cultist is a tainted class for the purpose of how a cultist is affected by taint (however that works in the campaign).

Vile Feats: At 1st level, a cultist gains the Chosen of Evil and Evil Brand vile feats (see Elder Evils pg 12 and Fiendish Codex I pg 85), regardless of whether he meets the prerequisites. At 3rd level and every three levels after 6th level a cultist gains a vile bonus feat: the cultist may choose any vile feat from Elder Evils, Exemplars of Evil, Fiendish Codex I: Hoards of the Abyss, or Heroes of Horror as long as he meets the feat’s prerequisites. At 6th level a cultist gains the Dark Speech feat (see Fiendish Codex I pg 81), regardless if he meets the feat’s prerequisites.
A cultist’s vile feats granted by class levels supersede any bonus vile feats the cultist might have otherwise been granted for serving an elder evil. A cultist need not be evil to take vile feats (he ignores that prerequisite), but using vile feats is an evil act (most cultists become evil).

Blood Component (Su): A cultist may use blood in place of specific spells' material/XP components (these spells are underlined in the cultist spell list). Substituting blood for a costly component requires drawing a great deal of blood, which is represented by vile damage. A cultist deals more vile damage to herself when drawing a large amount of blood, as shown on the table below. When using blood to replace a costly component in this way, the cultist need not make a Concentration check. With planar ally / planar binding spells, the cultist may offer blood as payment using a similar conversion.

Component Cost
Blood Component

1—10 gp
1 vile damage per gp of component cost

11—100 gp
10 vile damage + 1 damage per 10 gp over 10 gp (round up)

101+ gp
19 vile damage + 1 damage per 100 gp over 100 gp (round up)

XP cost
1 vile damage per 5 points of XP cost

A 2nd-level cultist heals vile damage at a rate of 1 damage/minute. A cultist also heals ability damage taken from using vile feats and corrupt spells at a rate of 1 ability point per ability per minute.

Mad Devotion (Su): A 2nd-level cultist's personality is magically tied to their mad devotion to their dark patron. The cultist gains a profane bonus to their Charisma score equal to the amount that their Wisdom score is less than 10. For example, a cultist with a Wisdom of 8 gains +2 to Charisma (10 - 8 = 2).

Melee Sneak Attack (Ex): As the rogue ability Sneak Attack, but the cultist may only Sneak Attack with melee attacks and deals extra d4s instead of d6s. These d4s count as d6s for the purpose of prerequisites and for ambush feats (making ambush feats an excellent way for a cultist to get sneak attack value). A cultist’s effective rogue level equals his cultist level – 1 (for the purpose of determining Improved Uncanny Dodge, for example). The Craven feat is also good for cultists.

Spells: A cultist prepares divine spells which are drawn from the cultist spell list. To prepare or cast a spell, a cultist must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level (Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a cultist's spell is 10 + the spell level + the cultist's Charisma modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a cultist can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score (see Table 1—1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, Player’s Handbook pg 8).
A cultist’s caster level is 0 at 1st level, and from 2nd level onwards equals his cultist level. A cultist may forgo either the somatic or the verbal components of a cultist spell if he chooses; spells cast when forgoing a component are cast at -2 caster level (a cultist may only forgo one component per spell).
Cultists meditate or pray for their spells, receiving them through their own twisted faith or as unholy inspiration (the spells need not come directly from the cultist’s worshipped entity; cultists that worship elder evils still gain divine spells). Each cultist must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Typically, this hour is dusk or midnight. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a cultist can prepare spells. A cultist may prepare and cast any spell on the cultist spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

Spontaneous Casting: A cultist may spontaneously cast spells that appear on the cultist spell list in parentheses () in place of a prepared cultist spell of that level or higher.

Death Blow: A 3rd level cultist gains the Death Blow feat (Complete Adventurer pg 106) even if he does not meet the prerequisites, allowing him to make a coup de grace attack as a standard action instead of a full-round action.

Augment Summoning (Su): All evil creatures that a 5th-level or higher cultist summons (through summon monster or summon undead spells, for example) gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution (if they have a Constitution score). This does not stack with the feat of the same name, and counts as that feat for the purpose of prerequisites.

Negative Energy Channeller (Su): At 5th level on, a cultist may cast inflict spells as if they were the equivalent inflict spell one level higher. At 11th level, the cultist can cast inflict spells as if they were two levels higher (a prepared mass inflict serious wounds becomes mass harm, Heroes of Horror 130).

Summon Fiend (Su): At 7th level, a cultist may cast summon monster spells as if they were the equivalent summon monster spell two level higher. The cultist only gains this benefit when summoning evil outsiders. For a “summon monster X,” 1d3 fiends from the summon monster IX list can be summoned or 1d4+1 fiends from the summon monster VIII list can be summoned (since there is no single-creature list for any summon monster X). For a “summon monster XI,” 1d4+1 fiends from the summon monster IX list can be summoned (since there is no single-creature list for any summon monster XI).

Call Avatar (Su): Once per day, a cultist of 17th-level or higher may spontaneously cast greater planar ally in the place of a 7th level prepared spell. As normal for Blood Component, he may deal vile damage to himself to avoid the XP cost.

Call Master (Sp): Once per week, a 20th level cultist may use gate as a spell-like ability, but only to attempt to call a single evil creature. The cultist must deal 100+creature’s HD vile damage to himself to create the effect and avoid paying XP, similar to Blood Component (if he does not do so, he pays the XP component). The creature summoned must have at least as many Hit Dice as the cultist. The entity often takes as payment its ability to access the material plane, causing rampant destruction, chaos, or whatever their portfolio would suggest. Called entities always return to their home plane after 12 hours if they have not already left by then.

0th
(Cure Minor Wounds)
Dancing Lights
Ghost Sound
(Inflict Minor Wounds)
Touch of Fatigue

1st
Alibi EoE
Blade of Blood PHBII
Cause Fear
Command
Comprehend Languages
Curse Water
Detect Secret Doors
Doom
Hypnotism
Hold Portal
(Inflict Light Wounds)
Nystul’s Magic Aura
Omen of Peril SpC
Reaving Aura CM
(Summon Monster I)
Summon Undead I SpC
Ventriloquism
Whelm PHBII

2nd
Align Weapon
Arcane Lock
Black Karma Curse PHBII
Command Undead
Darkness
(Death Knell)
Desecrate
Detect Thoughts
Divine Interdiction SpC
Enthrall
Ghoul Touch
Hold Person
(Inflict Moderate Wounds)
Iron Silence SpC
Knock
Mark of the Outcast SpC
Misdirection
Obscure Object
Scare
Shatter
Shroud of Undeath SpC
(Summon Monster II)
Summon Undead II SpC
Summon Swarm
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
Undetectable Alignment
Veil of Shadow SpC
Whelming Blast PHBII
Whispering Wind

3rd
Alter Fortune PHBII
Animate Dead
Bestow Curse
Blade of Pain and Fear SpC
Blindness/Deafness
Chain of Eyes SpC
(Clutch of Orcus)
Contagion
Darkfire SpC
Deeper Darkness
Inevitable Defeat PHBII
(Inflict Serious Wounds)
Magic Circle
Nondetection
Obscure Object
Secret Page
Sepia Snake Sigil
Skull Watch SpC
Speak with Dead
Suggestion
(Summon Monster III)
Summon Undead III SpC
Tremor SpC

4th
Bleakness PHBII
Confusion
Consumptive Field SpC
Crushing Despair
Detect Scrying
Discern Lies
Dismissal
Divination
Fear
Geas, Lesser
(Inflict Critical Wounds)
Planar Ally, Lesser
(Revenance SpC)
Seed of Undeath CM
Sending
(Summon Monster IV)
Summon Undead IV SpC
Tongues
Whelm, Mass PHBII
Wrack SpC

5th
Blight
Contagion, Mass SpC
Command, Greater
Commune
Dream
Dominate Person
Etherealness, Swift PHBII
False Vision
Friend to Foe PHBII
Hold Monster
Incite Riot PHBII
(Inflict Light Wounds, Mass)
Insect Plague
Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum
Nightmare
Planar Binding, Lesser
Plane Shift
(Raise Dead)
(Revivify SpC)
Summon Bearded Devil SpC
(Summon Monster V)
Summon Undead V SpC
Symbol of Pain
Unhallow
Waves of Fatigue

6th
Antilife Shell
Banishment
(Barghest’s Feast SpC)
Contingency (often used with Revivify)
Create Undead
Eyebite
Geas/Quest
Guards and Wards
Harm
(Inflict Moderate Wounds, Mass)
Legend Lore
Modify Memory
Overwhelm PHBII
Planar Binding
Planar Ally
Rejection SpC
Repulsion
Revive Undead SpC
Revive Outsider SpC
Suggestion, Mass
Summon Babau Demon
(Summon Monster VI)
Symbol of Fear
Symbol of Persuasion

7th
Bestow Curse, Greater
Blasphemy
Brain Spider SpC
Control Undead
Control Weather
Death Dragon SpC
Ethereal Jaunt
Evil Glare SpC
Hold Person, Mass
Infernal Transformation SpC
(Inflict Serious Wounds, Mass)
Insanity
Necrotic Curse CM
Plague PHBII
Plane Shift
(Resurrection)
Seed of Undeath, Greater CM
Sequester
(Summon Monster VII)
Symbol of Weakness
Symphonic Nightmare SpC
Vision
Waves of Exhaustion

Thurbane
2016-11-22, 11:59 PM
I'd have to read over it in depth when I have more time, but at first glance I really like this!

dboxcar
2016-11-24, 11:22 PM
People who are looking it over; do you think the casting is TOO late? It's supposed to be slightly secondary, but I was considering bumping it up a level

Thurbane
2016-12-04, 10:00 PM
Sorry I haven't had the time to get back with feedback on this, I'll endeavor to do so in the next couple of days.

Off the top of my head, d4s for sneak attack just feels weird. For the sake of reducing average damage by 1 point per die, I don't think it's worth it. If you want to lower the SA damage, maybe consider lowering the progression to 1/3 levels instead of 1/2? Otherwise, I'd just leave it as d6.

dboxcar
2016-12-06, 10:36 PM
Off the top of my head, d4s for sneak attack just feels weird. For the sake of reducing average damage by 1 point per die, I don't think it's worth it. If you want to lower the SA damage, maybe consider lowering the progression to 1/3 levels instead of 1/2? Otherwise, I'd just leave it as d6.

Do you think it'd be too powerful as D6s? I definitely want to stick with 1/2 progression (the ability/level breakdown is so nicely spread out!) but I didn't want to overshadow Rogues...

On that note, does 4+Int skill points seem right? A a player I'd want more, but again the power-creep on Rogue is something to consider...

dboxcar
2016-12-10, 01:34 PM
*Update*
Raised skill points up to 6+Int and started gaining spells at level 2. I really am attached to the d4 Sneak Attack progression, I want them to be a balanced in-between for Rogue and evil Cleric.
(I also really want to encourage Craven for thematic reasons)