PDA

View Full Version : cast cure wounds on corpse to hide stab wounds?

flamewolf393
2016-11-21, 08:05 PM
If I assassinate someone with a knife to the back, can I cure the stab wound after they are dead to hide how the person died?

If not is there any way to achieve this?

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-21, 08:19 PM
I'd say the corpse is an object, and thus can be repaired by things like Mending or Make Whole. However, damage such as severed limbs must be restored through the use of Restore Corpse.

EDIT: If you're looking to not attract attention you should remember to clean the victim's clothes.

Tainted_Scholar
2016-11-21, 08:39 PM
Cure only works on living creatures, which a corpse is not.

Calthropstu
2016-11-21, 08:51 PM
I'd say the corpse is an object, and thus can be repaired by things like Mending or Make Whole. However, damage such as severed limbs must be restored through the use of Restore Corpse.

EDIT: If you're looking to not attract attention you should remember to clean the victim's clothes.

I would also say animating, then channel negative energy would also work.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-21, 09:36 PM
If I assassinate someone with a knife to the back, can I cure the stab wound after they are dead to hide how the person died?
Interestingly enough, this is one of the few things that Dead Condition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dead) explicitly addresses:

The character’s hit points are reduced to -10, his Constitution drops to 0, or he is killed outright by a spell or effect. The character’s soul leaves his body. Dead characters cannot benefit from normal or magical healing, but they can be restored to life via magic. A dead body decays normally unless magically preserved, but magic that restores a dead character to life also restores the body either to full health or to its condition at the time of death (depending on the spell or device). Either way, resurrected characters need not worry about rigor mortis, decomposition, and other conditions that affect dead bodies. (Emphasis added)

If this was Pathfinder, then Decompose Corpse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/decompose-corpse), possibly followed by Restore Corpse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/restore-corpse) might do the job.

Polymorph Any Object, of course, solves most problems (PaO it into itself, minus the wound... or just into a mouse corpse, which you take with you for disposal later).

I'm not familiar with a 3.5 spell for the specific purpose.... but that doesn't mean much.
I would also say animating, then channel negative energy would also work.Of course, then you're faced with the problem that when you kill the zombie....

DrMotives
2016-11-21, 11:49 PM
I would say you can do it with the "repair damage" line of spells, which are identical to the cure wounds line except they're transmutations on the sorc/wiz & urban druid lists. They specifically repair HP damage to inanimate objects as well as creatures with the Construct type.

Castilonium
2016-11-22, 12:26 AM
In Pathfinder, Sculpt Corpse. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sculpt-corpse)

PacMan2247
2016-11-22, 07:09 AM
Cure spells have been addressed, and I frankly don't think mending of make whole would work either because the corpse was created with the hole in it; the hole technically isn't damage, it's factory condition.

Inevitability
2016-11-22, 09:50 AM
Restore Corpse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/restore-corpse)

Am I the only one now imagining a circular setup with skeletons entering, having flesh grown on them with Restore Corpse, separating the meat from the bones and re-introducing the skeletons to the system while the harvested flesh is Purified?

MisterKaws
2016-11-22, 10:02 AM
Am I the only one now imagining a circular setup with skeletons entering, having flesh grown on them with Restore Corpse, separating the meat from the bones and re-introducing the skeletons to the system while the harvested flesh is Purified?

Pathfinder's Tippyverse had unlimited meat? Noice.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-22, 10:12 AM
I would say you can do it with the "repair damage" line of spells, which are identical to the cure wounds line except they're transmutations on the sorc/wiz & urban druid lists. They specifically repair HP damage to inanimate objects as well as creatures with the Construct type.

Yeah basically since your friend just became an object you're using instead of a creature, you're using duct tape, not band-aids.

Edit: Okay I need to know, is this for some sort of Weekend at Bernies sort of situation?

Tainted_Scholar
2016-11-22, 12:52 PM
Cure spells have been addressed, and I frankly don't think mending of make whole would work either because the corpse was created with the hole in it; the hole technically isn't damage, it's factory condition.

But human bodies, alive or not, really aren't suppose to have stab wounds in them. Also a corpse with stab wounds would be easier to destroy then a untouched corpse since it has taken more damage.

Coidzor
2016-11-22, 01:03 PM
In Pathfinder, Sculpt Corpse. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sculpt-corpse)

Which butts heads with Dress Corpse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dress-corpse). :smallconfused::smallsigh:

Calthropstu
2016-11-22, 04:08 PM
Of course, then you're faced with the problem that when you kill the zombie....

If the goal is to make it impossible to tell who killed him, how and why I see no problem with leaving the zombie to walk around. The hole is gone, the evidence is gone, my target is dead.... what do I care if there's a mindless zombie walking around? As a bonus, it also means it's harder to resurrect my target.

Ruslan
2016-11-22, 04:11 PM
Trollburgers, aka The Neverending Meal, was there first.

flamewolf393
2016-11-22, 07:26 PM
Yeah basically since your friend just became an object you're using instead of a creature, you're using duct tape, not band-aids.

Edit: Okay I need to know, is this for some sort of Weekend at Bernies sort of situation?

As funny as that would be, I intended it for assassination via weapon, then hiding the stab would so as to hide the means of death, then leaving the corpse where is lay to create confusion.

PacMan2247
2016-11-22, 08:25 PM
But human bodies, alive or not, really aren't suppose to have stab wounds in them. Also a corpse with stab wounds would be easier to destroy then a untouched corpse since it has taken more damage.

Well sure, but prior to the stab wound, it was a creature. After the stab wound, it was an object. Ipso facto, the stab wound was part of creating the object, much like chopping down a tree creates lumber out of what had been a living organism. Animating the corpse to create a zombie would then take the raw material (a corpse with a stab wound) and make it a creature again.

If we stick to talking about corpses, I would imagine that a corpse with a stab wound would be neither more nor less difficult to destroy than a corpse with no apparent signs of damage. As for zombies, aside from requiring that the corpse be more or less intact, I've never seen any source suggest that a zombie created from, say, a burn victim would be appreciably more fragile than one created from someone who died of a stroke (though it's a concept I would also support if it were somehow made relevant in a game). With zombies, the animating magic is what matters, and as long as the base requirements are met, they're statistically identical regardless of the cause of death for the corpse.

Heliomance
2016-11-23, 05:46 AM
You could use Revenance, perhaps? Stab them, restrain the corpse, cast Revenance, heal them, dispel Revenance. It does have Target: Dead ally touched, but IIRC you can designate your own allies as you please.

Inevitability
2016-11-23, 07:19 AM
You could use Revenance, perhaps? Stab them, restrain the corpse, cast Revenance, heal them, dispel Revenance. It does have Target: Dead ally touched, but IIRC you can designate your own allies as you please.

A slightly higher-level spell that does the same without the annoying ally clause is Reanimation, on the Wu Jen list.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-23, 07:21 AM

There's a clause that applies to all resurrection magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#bringingBacktheDead) that might trip you up:
A soul cannot be returned to life if it does not wish to be. A soul knows the name, alignment, and patron deity (if any) of the character attempting to revive it and may refuse to return on that basis.

So... you kill a bloke, then go cast Revenance... and he refuses to come back because he doesn't like your ethos. Later, he still has the option to return when the cleric that he contracted with for such things tries.

flamewolf393
2016-11-23, 07:17 PM
There's a clause that applies to all resurrection magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#bringingBacktheDead) that might trip you up:

So... you kill a bloke, then go cast Revenance... and he refuses to come back because he doesn't like your ethos. Later, he still has the option to return when the cleric that he contracted with for such things tries.

If someone casts a contingency resurrection on themselves, can they still choose not to come back since they are the one casting the spell? I guess it would come down to: are you automatically considered willing against your own spells?

Inevitability
2016-11-24, 01:43 AM
If someone casts a contingency resurrection on themselves, can they still choose not to come back since they are the one casting the spell? I guess it would come down to: are you automatically considered willing against your own spells?

I'm not sure those rules are related. There's a gap, both in situation and wording, between 'willing' and 'wishing to come back from the dead'.