PDA

View Full Version : What to do now?

NecroDancer
2016-11-21, 11:44 PM
lets assume that someone made a Bard 6/Dirgesinger 5 build. The player has heavily cemented his role as a buffer/debuffer/guy-who-can-raise-a-creature-with-11-HD and is ok with this role. What should the player do with this character for the next 9 levels? What classes could he take? should he go back and take more levels in bard or try and go for another class/prestige class? The rest of the party is a Cleric (necromancer) Duskblade (front line fighter/minor spell-caster) and a Warlock (main magic user/minor necromancer). The main melee'ers in the party is a horde of undead bison.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-22, 05:08 AM
I'd suggest the classic: Sublime Chord.
Which is not only powerful but makes sense in this case since your party is lacking a primary arcane spellcaster.

Generally people only take 1 level of SC - or maybe 2 if they want Song of Arcane Power - and then switch to a PrC that advances casting and bardic music like Virtuoso (though usually the 1st level of that is taken before SC to avoid loss of casting progression).

Echch
2016-11-22, 06:10 AM
I agree with sleepyphoenix, though I'm not sure if it makes sense to go full-prestige, since that would loose you a sublime chord caster level. Maybe Sublime Chord 4/Green Whisperer 5?

NecroDancer
2016-11-22, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the help. I just checked out the SC and it looks promising

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-22, 09:03 AM
I agree with sleepyphoenix, though I'm not sure if it makes sense to go full-prestige, since that would loose you a sublime chord caster level. Maybe Sublime Chord 4/Green Whisperer 5?

Personally i'm a fan of Spellsinger (RoF). You get full bardic music progression, full spellcasting and can cast any enchantment on your spell list spontaneously by sacrificing a spell of a level higher.
Sure, Enchantment isn't the best school ever, but that's at least 100 spells for you to cast that don't require your limited spells known. It gets even better if you're a Sublime Chord, adding all the Enchantment spells on the wizard list.
Combine that with some free heighten (Talfirian Song, Earth Spell, Snowcasting, Improved Krau Sigil, there's a few options) and you'll have a lot more magical variety than other bards.

It does have some pretty lame prerequisites (Improved Counterspell, SF:Perform), but you can get SF:Perform from the Heward's Hall magical location (CSc). One feat for that much spell versatility is a small price to pay imo.

Another option is Heartfire Fanner (Dr#314). It also has lame prerequisites (SF:Perform, Negotiator), but grants full casting, full bardic music and adds a few really cool new uses to your music - things like granting your allies free feats or free metamagic. The overlap of needing SF:Perform and both being 5 level PrCs also works nicely.

BowStreetRunner
2016-11-22, 09:11 AM
The main melee'ers in the party is a horde of undead bison.
Please tell me all of the party members have the Ride skill and you also use these as mounts when out of doors! :smallbiggrin:

NecroDancer
2016-11-22, 12:22 PM
We all have a few ranks in ride. We are currently looking for a sled we can tie to the strongest bison.